or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Speculations on the new iMac's specifications

Speculations on the new iMac's specifications - Page 6

post #201 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by jwdawso
TS has been accurate in last minute revelations, but the " June is too early to roll out a consumer product that needs just the right amount of momentum entering the holiday buying season." is plain wrong. A new Apple computer has a 3+ year lifetime, so this viewpoint is too short term. It's also been previously brought up about buying season for back-to-school, which I agree with is a good time for a new computer.

I think all signs point to a new G5 based computer, the release date being dependent on production issues.

Exactly; Apple works on updates, redesigns and new products as they can. They release new models when they're ready. If it happens to coincide with a keynote speech somewhere, great, otherwise there's a press release and a new page at the Apple Store.

Occasionally, new products are delayed because of a glut of inventory in the supply channel. I believe that has been the case with new displays, but I'm only guessing. With there being an apparent short supply of iMacs, I'd bet Apple is working hard on an update, redesign or new product to fill the gap but we can't expect it next week if it's not ready; unless it's simply an announcement of something new, which is unlikely.
post #202 of 242
Its very clear that Apple has a lot of problems with all of its hardware lines, after using Macs for years and allways being second place to PCs it has become old.
I dont understand how a business can keep going without replacing old models with new ones such as iMac. The whole philosophy of crippling iMac with subpar cpu's-(G4) cheapest current videochip-Fx5200 and a monitor you are stuck with makes me think they dont want to sell to consumers. Look at all the hardware- Powermac- i waited a year for what??? Emac - nice value but instead of making it a real machine they gave it a poor videochip from years gone by with 32mb???they couldnt spend 50 more bucks on the video? iMac LCD well enough has been said of that stylish but dog of a computer. What has Apples hardware division become??? a art shop using technology from years gone by?
Jobs may be smart but he isnt smart to what the consumer wants hence the ever continuing slide of market. I know this is my first post here though i have been here for years but Apple's hardware offerings have gotten very sad. I even find myself looking at those very powerful Alienware- Aurora's hence my name. They make them to suite you not some corporate hancho who has no idea what you may need. So if a long time Mac user is thinking of jumping ship just to get current technology how many others would never give a iMac a second look simply on performance vs price? sorry for the rant but i feel very strongly the hardware division would be lost without its pods.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #203 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Emac - nice value but instead of making it a real machine they gave it a poor videochip from years gone by with 32mb???they couldnt spend 50 more bucks on the video?

On the one hand people complain that Apple hardware isn't as cheap as crappy WinPCs. On the other hand they expect all the latest features and not to have to pay for them. I for one (not being a gamer) am glad Apple doesn't make me pay for wicked fast GPUs I'll never need.

Aurora: sorry to take this one sentence out of context.
post #204 of 242
Quote:
Originally averred by a_greer
My prediction, 3 words baby:

Display sold seperately

(((Sorry for the cross-post, but I screwed up))))

---

I think there is an issue with the "headless" iMac concept.

Apple, I do not see releasing one, as it allows for their potentially beautiful design to be TOTALLY screwed up by any old CRT yucko-view-sonic monitor, etc. They want a signature machine, and a headless mac would not be that. They will control the entire thing, display and all, in my opinion. Not too many people would buy an Apple Flat Panel Monitor, when they can get a cheapo for hundreds of dollars less.

For those of you who *want* a headless mac, despite how good an idea it may seem, I think you are bound to be disappointed for the above reason.

I still see no reason that Apple can't come out with something beautiful and at a decent pricepoint to satisfy everyone, and get the iMac to where it should be again: at the top of their lineup.... an "enabler" for a much heftier G5 purchase.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #205 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
On the one hand people complain that Apple hardware isn't as cheap as crappy WinPCs. On the other hand they expect all the latest features and not to have to pay for them. I for one (not being a gamer) am glad Apple doesn't make me pay for wicked fast GPUs I'll never need.

so instead you pay a premium for subpar systems?

THAT makes sense
post #206 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
so instead you pay a premium for subpar systems?

The eMac, to which Aurora referred is a nice system with great software for a decent price. Aurora suggests adding $50 to the cost, and thus probably $75 to the price for a GPU most people don't need. That's all I was saying. What kind of graphics card do you get with a $500 WinPC? Not much, I suspect but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The iMac, which is the subject of this thread is a different matter; a subpar system for which a premium is charged. If its specs were beefed up or the price was lowered, it'd have a better reputation and better sales.
post #207 of 242
All this talk about Developers, Developers, Developers... (sorry, had to)

You are forgetting one very important thing:

These are APPLE DEVELOPERS!!!

If apple doesn't make new hardware that people will scramble to buy, developers don't need to write programs for apple. A kick-A$$ new G5 Mini, or iMac, or Cube redux WILL WOW Developers. They will cheer, they will stand up, and it will be amazing.

Because these APPLE DEVELOPERS LOVE APPLES. They love programming for macs, the love programming ON macs, they love everything MAC. They love a great Stevenote, where kick some serious booty hardware is released!

These are not your normal developers!
post #208 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by tak1108

If apple doesn't make new hardware that people will scramble to buy, developers don't need to write programs for apple. A kick-A$$ new G5 Mini, or iMac, or Cube redux WILL WOW Developers. They will cheer, they will stand up, and it will be amazing.

Because these APPLE DEVELOPERS LOVE APPLES. They love programming for macs, the love programming ON macs, they love everything MAC. They love a great Stevenote, where kick some serious booty hardware is released!

True, who do people think developers are writing for? This is why its so important for Apple to have a great consumer machine that the consumer can fine tune the specifications to fit the consumer. Has anyone gone to apple's game page? they show a bunch of cutting edge games and then suggest imac or emac can run them using the joke of all video at the moment FX5200 or even 9200. those are very poor chips in this day and age of X800s, 6800s and 9800s. If grandma wants to read email and surf the 5200 is fine but if little johhnny wants to game he can forget it with those machines. so apple is loosing sales on computers and loosing sales for developers.
I have allways wondered what the mystery was for Apple since they never figured out how many consumers would love a Mac if they could get its fastest single cpu and had the option to have a fast video card with it.. iMac says no way,Emac says no way, and only Powermac allows this but most people dont need 2 Cpu's as most people dont want a gigantic aluminum beast taking up all that room. Why is it so hard for Apple to take a single 2.0 G5 and mate a 9800 to it? I would have done that a year ago with a option of fx5200 for those grandma's and people who dont enjoy a good game. It would have made a wonderful machine for many. iMac is a great design but G4 & mx video made sure it would never be a sales hit. Jobs has had 3 failures with consumers- Cube,iMac lcd,Emac. Its time he let someone do it right. Take a Powermac cut it in half, give it a 2.0 G5 with videocard options, 4 megs of memory,2 pci slots and presto a machine for almost anybody but Apple cant have one line eating into another so we end up with subpar outdated hardware thats overpriced=current iMac.
post #209 of 242
sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by tak1108

post #210 of 242
Quote:
True, who do people think developers are writing for? This is why its so important for Apple to have a great consumer machine that the consumer can fine tune the specifications to fit the consumer. Has anyone gone to apple's game page? they show a bunch of cutting edge games and then suggest imac or emac can run them using the joke of all video at the moment FX5200 or even 9200. those are very poor chips in this day and age of X800s, 6800s and 9800s. If grandma wants to read email and surf the 5200 is fine but if little johhnny wants to game he can forget it with those machines. so apple is loosing sales on computers and loosing sales for developers.
I have allways wondered what the mystery was for Apple since they never figured out how many consumers would love a Mac if they could get its fastest single cpu and had the option to have a fast video card with it.. iMac says no way,Emac says no way, and only Powermac allows this but most people dont need 2 Cpu's as most people dont want a gigantic aluminum beast taking up all that room. Why is it so hard for Apple to take a single 2.0 G5 and mate a 9800 to it? I would have done that a year ago with a option of fx5200 for those grandma's and people who dont enjoy a good game. It would have made a wonderful machine for many. iMac is a great design but G4 & mx video made sure it would never be a sales hit. Jobs has had 3 failures with consumers- Cube,iMac lcd,Emac. Its time he let someone do it right. Take a Powermac cut it in half, give it a 2.0 G5 with videocard options, 4 megs of memory,2 pci slots and presto a machine for almost anybody but Apple cant have one line eating into another so we end up with subpar outdated hardware thats overpriced=current iMac.

troll alert
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
post #211 of 242
I really do think the key is for Apple to go back to one consumer desktop machine. Price it from $799 to $1499. Make it durable, cute, fun, and powerful. Make it semi expandable, colorful, and make it as "all things to all people" as it can be.

Just like the original iMac.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #212 of 242
Quote:
Take a Powermac cut it in half, give it a 2.0 G5 with videocard options, 4 megs of memory

That'll be a game screamer fer sure!

post #213 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh
I really do think the key is for Apple to go back to one consumer desktop machine. Price it from $799 to $1499. Make it durable, cute, fun, and powerful. Make it semi expandable, colorful, and make it as "all things to all people" as it can be.

Yep, what is needed is something like a cross between the eMac and iMac in several configurations. The eMac would be a very nice computer for its price if it had an LCD. Even without an LCD, it represents good value.

Now that people have digital toys like iPods, digital cameras and video cameras, unlike in the days of the original iMac, consumers want everything in their computer. They want LCDs, they want lots of memory, they want fast processers, big hard drives, fast graphics cards if they play games, and they want it all for a good price. The current iMac offers only the first thing on this list.
post #214 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiahtosh

true, hardware guys have been lost for a very long time. Software guys are the greatest. We know as Apple users the OS rules but we also know as hardware users that Macs leave you allways wanting. as Far as the troll alert i have been using Macs longer then a lot of folks so lets not be so fast to use the word troll jwdawso. The fact of the matter is the consumer line from Apple is a mess and poor sales for over 2 plus years prove it. If it wasnt a mess we wouldnt be siting here wondering how apple will get it right. by the way i own 2 imacs crts that i pass through the family and currently use a powermac at 1.47 with 1 gig of mem and Geforce3. 3 years old and it will still mop the floor vs any new iMac. but then again a $800 Pc would mop the floor vs my powermac
post #215 of 242
Quote:
I for one (not being a gamer) am glad Apple doesn't make me pay for wicked fast GPUs I'll never need.

Quartz Extreme. You'll benefit from a good GPU even if you never play games.
post #216 of 242
Thank you, 3.1416 The main idea is that the consumer should be able to get the video card to suite them. not just lets give everyone a fx5200 that has cost near nothing and hope they like it. At least make a model of iMac with a decent video since its becoming so important. Im still shocked that Powermac 1.8 and 2.0 both come with FX5200. that part doesnt cost apple $40.00 and these are $2000 and $2500 machines. Apparently they ignore reviews because they act like that card is terrific.FX5200 is anything but that. It may ok for some but start turning up the frames and it drops them faster then pie from Bill Gates face. no one should have to make due with that card.
post #217 of 242
Quote:
Thank you, 3.1416 The main idea is that the consumer should be able to get the video card to suite them. not just lets give everyone a fx5200 that has cost near nothing and hope they like it. At least make a model of iMac with a decent video since its becoming so important. Im still shocked that Powermac 1.8 and 2.0 both come with FX5200. that part doesnt cost apple $40.00 and these are $2000 and $2500 machines. Apparently they ignore reviews because they act like that card is terrific.FX5200 is anything but that. It may ok for some but start turning up the frames and it drops them faster then pie from Bill Gates face. no one should have to make due with that card.

troll alert.
-JD
-JD
post #218 of 242
Though Aurora's posts are obviously juvenile and employ, shall we say, interesting spelling and punctuation, he is completely correct in blasting Apple's choice of video cards in iMacs and Power Macs. The nVidia 5200 in a $2500 workstation is an absolute insult. Calling attention to this travesty does not make him a troll.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #219 of 242
I'll second what Ensign says. I LOVE macs, I want them to do REALLY well. Criticism isn't always with the frame of mind, "Apple is stupid, sucks, I wish they would cave into nothingness...."

I also think that having those graphics cards as the option is not helping Apple. I am well aware they do the whole widget. They are amazing at so many things, lets see them get that brilliance in gear with video cards specs, so I can shut up. I have invested so much into them, I want them succeed. Be careful pointing fingers....
post #220 of 242
I'd just like to suggest anybody who thinks the nVidia 5200 GPU is a worthwhile card, especially for the PowerMacs, look here. It performs like an integrated graphics solution, actually a bit better in OpenGL but it still isn't anything you'd want in any computer that isn't competing around the integrated level. All the PowerMacs should really have the 9600.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #221 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Though Aurora's posts are obviously juvenile and employ, shall we say, interesting spelling and punctuation, he is completely correct in blasting Apple's choice of video cards in iMacs and Power Macs. The nVidia 5200 in a $2500 workstation is an absolute insult. Calling attention to this travesty does not make him a troll.

troll defending alert. Oh, you are right. Mr. Alienware - a Mac afficionado from a way back - just happen to drop in. "The whole philosophy of crippling iMac with subpar cpu's-(G4)" - what insight! " Look at all the hardware- Powermac- i waited a year for what???" - I guess arguably the fastest desktop is pretty worthless. "What has Apples hardware division become??? a art shop using technology from years gone by?" - a clear and concise analysis of Apple's current efforts.
-JD
-JD
post #222 of 242
I'm as hard on Apple as anyone in this forum. Yet, there could be a good reason they use such low end vid cards. It occurred to me that they may not be able to do any better. They do not have the OEM options as PC manufacturers. AAC is probably a big part of this. Every card has to be specially designed for or by Apple. The iMac does not have an AGP slot so it is practically the same as integrated graphics. Apple clearly understands the value of a good graphics card or else they would not have one as an expensive option for the PM line and they would not use it as a differentiator. It goes to show just how weak their position is in the computer industry. Remember this the next time someone says that market share doesn't matter.

Since this is FH, I will add that we have no reason to believe this will change in the future. Apple's market position is not getting stronger by the day, it is getting weaker. New PCs are being sold at an increasingly faster rate than new Macs. Therefore, new component makers have even less reason to diversify their lines. They can sell the same amount of new product this year to the PC only crowd as they could last year going dual platform. That becomes more true as each year passes. Besides, Making new cards for Macs won't get them any new customers. The Mac market is not growing that fast. They know that Apple will be content with two and three year old tech because they have no choice. Apple will buy the same number of chips from Nvidia whether they are old chips or new ones. Same for ATI. This is not about to change anytime soon. Therefore, Apple just has to make the best of what they can get. At any rate, I hope that is the reason. Because I would hate to believe that Apple is stupid enough to offer such lackluster hardware when they have better options available to them.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #223 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by jwdawso
troll defending alert. Oh, you are right. Mr. Alienware - a Mac afficionado from a way back - just happen to drop in. "The whole philosophy of crippling iMac with subpar cpu's-(G4)" - what insight! " Look at all the hardware- Powermac- i waited a year for what???" - I guess arguably the fastest desktop is pretty worthless. "What has Apples hardware division become??? a art shop using technology from years gone by?" - a clear and concise analysis of Apple's current efforts.

whats your point repeating others post but go right ahead.Thank you, and just because someone hasnt registered here at apple insider before you doesnt make them a newbie,troll or PC lover. The Fact is we have the best OS period. the other fact is our hardware doesnt hold a candle in performance in respect to the otherside except for the dual 2.5. dual 2.0 is about equal to the high end P4s according to MacAddict and Macworld. If 2 Mac magazines are saying that with all their bias then you know its true. So where does this leave any G4 machine??? way way behind unless you doing that photoshop blur that Apple used to love to brag about.
I simply wish they would make a machine that the consumer or prosumer could configure. 1 fastest cpu and 1 fast GPU and ill order another today but Apple pushes you into Powermac with everything or consumer offerings with poor performance. ( I like to game on the most stable and safe platform thank you), Every top PC maker lets you configure the machine and they own the market. Apple forces people into getting things they dont want just to get the item of their interest. this is another reason they have such poor marketshare. sell to the consumer and the consumer will reward you. example-crt iMac & iPod. build a computer out of subpar hardware and consumers will leave you. example iMac Lcd and Emac. Apple should have been selling a single G5 machine with its fastest cpu and gpu(options) a year ago and we would have beat a path to Apple's door. Why is that so hard for Apple when every PC maker in the world does this? build a computer for the consumer not for your ego.
post #224 of 242
General idea !

or

post #225 of 242
Extra
Cool
When i buy one?
CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
post #226 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by nsousansousa

It looks like a road sign! There's clearly not enough art in that mock-up.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
post #227 of 242
As I just posted in the News Comments section, what if this supposed new iMac shares a similar design that the rumored new pro displays have? The only difference to the rendering done by Paul Scates would be that the back would obviously be thicker, and have a vertical optical drive. Everything else, including the power brick and the stand would be relatively identical. Would this make sense as the "pizza box" design? I don't know.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #228 of 242
Jonathan Ive already specifically said that he did build working prototypes of a Cinema Display with a computer built in vertically but said they decided against it for various technical reasons. I can't find the interview at the moment. It was right after the LCD iMac came out.

Granted, if they have resolved the issues, nothing is stopping them from doing it. Personally I'm all for it. I prefer all in ones, but don't want them to be the only option either.

(Edit: "Ive" looks like "I've" if you read it too quickly Changes the tone altogether!)
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #229 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
Ive already specifically said that he did build working prototypes of a Cinema Display with a computer built in vertically but said they decided against it for various technical reasons. I can't find the interview at the moment. It was right after the LCD iMac came out.

I too recall this, and it makes me wonder how accurate these so-called sources are with this "pizza box" rumor.
post #230 of 242
Quote:

have fun not taking advantage of half of tiger's features with your crappy gpu
post #231 of 242
I agree with the comments by Aurora, Applenut and others.

The iMac 2 is approaching junkyard status.

Overpriced. Underspecced. Underselling.

Clear correlation between them. Enough for Apple's former Fincancial Honcho to admit they're off the 'sweetspot'.

HELLO, then DO something about it.

I can see it now. iMac 2 and eMac limping along with a 1.5 gig G5 and a Geforce(! Heh...) 520fxpants (based on the Geforce 2Mx? ) sleeping on park benches outside Apple stores come 1st half 2005...

I think a 'iPod Express' Computer could competely replace the whole iMac 'game' and appeal to the iPod crowd. Clearly, the iMac and eMac don't cut it.

Apple need a whole new proposition that goes with 'Tiger' and the iPod.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #232 of 242
Some of you need to think markets through better.

I realize the Power Mac is one rockin sockin machine, but to be honest with you, I just do need that much power and most likely never will. However, the PowerMac serves a definite market niche that is very important.

The iMac serves a different market. I do not. I repeat, I do not want a PowerMac user telling me that an iMac is not what I need for my needs. First it is beatiful. Second, it is a small form factor. It takes up a small amount of desk space and I don't have a huge ugly refrigerator under my desk. Now, the iBooks and PowerBooks are also great products for special niches however I also want a larger screen, a full size wireless keyboard, and a wireless mouse. Presto, the iMac is the perfect product.

Why do many of you speak of some new monster headless iMac, What the heck is that and how will it make my experience better. Is it that you love your PowerMac and think that my needs are the same as yours and I would be better off with a huge refrigerator. I also like being able to sivel the screen from side to side. I can rotate it from my desk to my sofa.

Hey, PowerMac users. Will you be the ones who buy this new headless iMac. I don't think so.
post #233 of 242
I wholeheartedly agree. I am satisfied with an AIO. I don't need the oversized computer that sits under my desk. A simple machine is all I want and need. The eMac might be a nice machine, but I prefer an LCD - that's why I like the iMac.
TCAT
TCAT
post #234 of 242
Who says that a headless iMac would be so large as to have to sit under your desk? Jebus, folks, it's not like Macs can only come in two sizes-- current iMacs & Powermacs. How about something roughly the size of an old LC? Perhaps a bit bigger than that, since it's got to accommodate an optical drive as opposed to just a floppy, but hopefully not much...

Quote:
Hey, PowerMac users. Will you be the ones who buy this new headless iMac. I don't think so.

Actually, if a 1.8GHz G5 machine were available for around $1k, yeah, I'd buy one without thinking twice.
post #235 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by chipz
I wholeheartedly agree. I am satisfied with an AIO. I don't need the oversized computer that sits under my desk. A simple machine is all I want and need. The eMac might be a nice machine, but I prefer an LCD - that's why I like the iMac.

The problem is that you represent a microscopic niche of a very small niche. I don't know why you happy iMac folks don't see this for yourselves. No one wants to be forced into certain hardware because of the preferences of a small group of people. The i/eMac represents the ENTIRE consumer desktop line. They are AIO. The number of people who want an AIO regardless of what's in it is so small, it is not worth mentioning. Yet, Apple forces this form factor on the entire consumer market who has voted with their dollars that they don't like it. The AIO is not successful on the Mac platform. It is just that people don't have a choice. Uncouple the display from the machine and offer the same sized display and monitor for the same price as the AIO, sell them side by side, and the AIO Mac would be out of business over night. Apple doesn't do this because of concern for the user experience. They do it so that they can sell overpriced monitors. Obviously, you are an exception to the rule or else the iMac would be a raging success. People are still buying desktop computers and they are still spending a thousand dollars and more to do it. But they do not like what they see in the iMac 2. They never did. It was never a success. It will never be a success. Those who liked the original iMac are buying eMacs. Those who need a little more power are pretty much forced into buying PMs. I believe that is exactly what Apple wants. The way Apple seems to see it is every iMac sale represents a lost PM sale.

One last thing. Comparisons to PCs in a similar price range is very fair because Apple claimed to be targeting switchers with the iMac once upon a time. Well, if they want the other 98%, then they have to offer something the other 98% are willing to buy. No AIO no matter how good it is, will ever bring in switchers. Apple needs to find a market for the iMac or kill it.
post #236 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Voyer
The problem is that you represent a microscopic niche of a very small niche. I don't know why you happy iMac folks don't see this for yourselves. No one wants to be forced into certain hardware because of the preferences of a small group of people. The i/eMac represents the ENTIRE consumer desktop line. They are AIO. The number of people who want an AIO regardless of what's in it is so small, it is not worth mentioning.

Mac Voyer, I don't think that number is as small as you think. The number who want to pay for an overpriced under-speced iMac is indeed small. You're right that part of the problem with finding switchers is that the i/eMacs represent the ENTIRE consumer desktop line. There should be something else available. However, given an AIO with a LCD and decent specs at a good price, I think consumers would snatch them up pretty quickly. I'm not talking about one with a big honkin' display, either; 15" to 17" is plenty.
post #237 of 242
All Apple has to do is create a line of mini towers. Single processor G5, one hard drive and two card slots. It's not so hard.
post #238 of 242
I didn't mean to imply that the AIO is the only consumer unit Apple should make, There is room for other alternatives and Apple should consider expanding its consumer lineup. I might even consider a "headless" Mac if it were a small CPU case, much like the Cube of old,
TCAT
TCAT
post #239 of 242
Quote:
Originally posted by TWinbrook46636
All Apple has to do is create a line of mini towers. Single processor G5, one hard drive and two card slots. It's not so hard.

Thank you mystery solved, but instead Apple plays spy vs spy, they play the handicap and cripple the consumer line so bad no one wants them, they play we cant put that into Imac because it (may ) hurt powermac sells etc...
post #240 of 242
Now that they've dropped the 17" display, I think it's almost certain that they're not going for a low-end headless iMac. Their displays start at $1299 now, and that's right in the middle of where the iMac price range should be. So it seems clear to me that we're keeping the all-in-one iMac, and basically if you want a display smaller than 20" you'll have to get the iMac (or eMac).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Speculations on the new iMac's specifications