Originally posted by rickagI seriously doubt the 1.42 was overclocked. Motorola/Freescale has no history with dual core cpu's that I know of, so if I were betting on whether IBM or Motorola/Freescale would introduce a dual core chip first, place my bet on IBM.
As someone mentioned earlier, IBM already announced the 970fx would reach 2.5 GHz. and infered from that, that Jobs goal of reaching 3.0 GHz probably involved a different model. I tend to agree with this logic.
However, the 2.5 GHz 970fx(0.09 µm) typical watts is 50 and the old(0.13 µm) 1.8 GHz 970 typical watts is 51, so does that mean the liquid cooling is mainly for noise reduction/rapid heat flucuations or will the 970fx actually scale to 3.0 GHz.???
Also, throw in the fact that IBM appears to not be using SSDOI yet, all this is pretty much guess work and speculation.\
I believe the liquid cooling is for noise reduction. The number of fans in the PowerMac was designed for the same purpose: to make it a fast, quiet workstation. In my experience, it runs very quiet most all of the time. The liquid cooling should just improve that.
Actually, there was a chance that the 970FX would scale to 3GHZ by January. that didn't happen. The yields are too low right now for the 970FZ at 3GHZ, and it would be much hotter (I think around 90W+, but I could be wrong).
The order of events - from what I've been told - is this:
Jobs made the "promise" last year at WWDC. He knew at that time that IBM would be fabbing at 90nm before the end of the year. He knew that IBM was optimistic that the 970FX would have good yields at 3GHZ. My guess is that Steve was hoping for 3GHZ in January at MWSF to really impress the Mac World (double intendre). The problem ended up being that IBM could not even provide ANY 90nm chips, even for the 2GHZ xServe (and it was supposedly scaled back because IBM thought they could ship 2GHZ 970FX in quantity). Even IBM didn't expect these kind of delays. They had thought they'd at least have 2.5GHZ available in mass by February - but they are only now finally shipping these things out.
So, even with the delay, Jobs new that IBM would get the POWER5 derivative out during the summer. Problem is that the delay on the 970FX has pushed the manufacture of the new chip back later in the summer, BUT preliminary tests have indicated that it shouldn't hit any major snags.
So, essentially, IBM and Apple had accounted for delays, but didn't expect the massive delays they ended up getting. My guess is that Apple couldn't wait to update until Sept./Oct. due to slumping sales and they HAD TO put out PowerMac updates in order to get them up a bit. So these machines will ship in July/August. I still think we'll see new chips based on the PPC975 (as most call it here) by October - the current revisions being only a stopgap.
As for the dual-core chip, don't bet on IBM. They do have multi-threaded chips coming up, but FreeScale could be producing a dual-core e600 before the year is out. In many ways, their new fab in Crolles is superior to the Fishkill plant. Without Moto's incompetent management, I fully expect FreeScale to surprise. In fact, a September/October update of the PowerBooks and iBooks featuring new G4s with greater bus speeds, more L2 cache, architectural improvements, and dual-core chips in the PowerBooks woudl not surprise me. If things pan out, I think we could see Apple refresh all of their lineups through the month of October, getting ready for the Christmas season. I'd also love to see some nice iPod/Mac combo deals to try to lure people in with the iPod.