or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC and the future of APPLE

WWDC and the future of APPLE - Page 6

post #201 of 437
gotcha...but still, it wouldnt be so much more involved (other than the download size) than aac's. right? what would stop apple from doing this on a larger scale with movie content?
post #202 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by macfly
gotcha...but still, it wouldnt be so much more involved (other than the download size) than aac's. right? what would stop apple from doing this on a larger scale with movie content?

Costs. Downloading movies is unlikely to be as popular as music yet the file size is 100x greater. With the local Blockbusters renting "all you can eat" DVDs for $25 a month and Cable offering their own VoD systems there really isn't a viable market for Apple to make money.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #203 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison

Costs. Downloading movies is unlikely to be as popular as music yet the file size is 100x greater. With the local Blockbusters renting "all you can eat" DVDs for $25 a month and Cable offering their own VoD systems there really isn't a viable market for Apple to make money.

They would likely use a future standard based on MPEG-4/H.264 but the problem would be download speeds. Even with broadband it would take all day to get a movie (depending on quality) and that is not very marketable. I just don't see Apple doing this.
post #204 of 437
To TWinbrook46636 :

Quote:
If you are referring to what I think you are referring to then I'm sorry to say this project is dead. It was killed off last year very close to it's release. That was not the name of the device though.

YES "Q71" was dead. But,
You mean "Q79" is Dead ?

I don't think so...

And downloading 100MB with VDSL is not taking that long.

To earthend at AppleForum:

Thank you for posting and I wish to put my name in the your post. Please.

And it's not new device but new service.
Guess! Who I was
Guess! Who I was
post #205 of 437
Here is very good document to read for all of you.

The Secret Weapon Inside iTunes
Guess! Who I was
Guess! Who I was
post #206 of 437
great link Kormac, also do you have any comments on AppleInsider report of the Pizza Box design of the new iMac, whice is preety much opposite of the cube you described

also when Apple created the new iPod division, i preety much guessed that Division is actually responsible for all Digital Hub devices and not just the iPod, is that the case and all the devices you described fall under the iPod divion responsibility or are are they under the Mac diviosn?
post #207 of 437
kormac -- thank you again for all this

it seems to me apple has a decision to make about when to introduce stuff (and i'm assuming that everything you've said kormac is waiting to go).

do they introduce gradually or just drop it all in one go and say 'here it all is'.

apple tends to drip feed us, but if they are going to really take over the world here they need to just go for it!
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #208 of 437
kormac, do u know anything about the technology to be used un the iprojector? is it lcd? dlp?laser?
post #209 of 437
Quote:
kormac, do u know anything about the technology to be used un the iprojector? is it lcd? dlp?laser?

Hot air
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #210 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by kormac77
Here is what will be announced.

- Preview of Tiger: OS X 10.4
- iMac G5.
- New service to support Consumer Electronics.
- 20, 23, 30 inch Monitor with HDTV capability.
- iProjector with WiFi. ( Name may be different. )

There is more in the future for CES but it might be announce at WWDC. ( In my opinion, he will wait for CES )

By the way, check with who will be keynote for CES ? ( Officially, it was not decided. )

The more thing is
* Name can be changed
- iStation ( aka iBox )
- iPAD ( aka i**** v2 )
- And 4th generation iPod with Color dispaly by September.

Well. Are you guys are satisfied ?

Very good summary! Thank you, Kormac. It sound like WWDC will be very interesting. As I said before, we will need more patience... to wait for even more fun at CES and other events later in the year. But that's OK by me.

Patience is a virtue.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #211 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Odedh
great link Kormac, also do you have any comments on AppleInsider report of the Pizza Box design of the new iMac, whice is preety much opposite of the cube you described

Good link indeed, Kormac. Just like Odedh, I would be interested in anything you have to say about the upcoming iMac G5. Unless Apple introduces a headless iMac, i.e. a $1000 mini-G5, the 12-inch PowerBook G4 is still my first choice. But I will wait until June 28/29 to place my order.

Escher
post #212 of 437
kormac77,

Interesting news today

Quote:
Apple on Wednesday announced that the H.264/Advanced Video Codec (AVC) will be incorporated in its QuickTime software in an upcoming release next year. The video technology has been ratified by the DVD Forum for use in the High Definition (HD) DVD format; it was jointly developed by the Motion Picture Expert's Group (MPEG) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), and has been ratified into the MPEG-4 specification as well.

..snip..

Apple senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller said that Apple is supporting the H.264 specification because of the codec's quality and its basis on open standards. "QuickTime 6 has already topped 250 million downloads, making it one of the most successful media standards ever, and we will be adding support for H.264 to QuickTime next year," he said.

Next year? Sounds like things might not be as far along as far as QT goes... Unless QT7 beta hits at WWDC followed by a final release in 2005.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #213 of 437
&
Guess! Who I was
Guess! Who I was
post #214 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by TWinbrook46636
If you are referring to what I think you are referring to then I'm sorry to say this project is dead. It was killed off last year very close to it's release. That was not the name of the device though.

Since it is officially killed, is the NDA still on? At least, can we know what is it? A PDA?
post #215 of 437
QT7, Tiger, etc. Probably won't be out until January, no? Sounds like when the codec would be released. So perhaps it is all part of the same package.

Boy, Kormac, you have certainly said a mouthful.

I like the speculation about the direction, and it all seems reasonable. The question I have for the folks here, (more technically adept than I) is about "i**** v2."

Could that be basically NOT a pda, NOT a tablet computer, but say, a portable ("ink"-capable) interface for your base mac that is airport ready? Using either QT or the new ARA software to access your mac? Basically a dumb-gui-terminal? One might use this to, say, change your playlist that is streaming to your stereo, change your home movie playing off your mac, etc. The putative projector that k mentions could perhaps function as an add-on. though a $1500 projector is pretty steep. (I also don't know if this could have to do with the strange cryptonymic d-n-a letters that Kormac bandied about for a while).

It's just a thought, but it sounds like AirPort Extreme, and ARA could go nicely together as two cornerstones of this kind of a project.

.....and I think just about all of us would get one.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #216 of 437
Hey, the store is close! iMac G5 now...?
post #217 of 437
Doesn't the press release about the new codec actually make sense. I mean WWDC is going to preview Tiger. I assumed the discussions about QT7 being "released" at WWDC really just meant previewed. I would expect it to be part of Tiger. Now whether that pushes Kormac's predictions to January, I would like to know.
post #218 of 437
Agreed. QT7 will be included with Tiger, we'll get a preview at WWDC.

From what I'm hearing, QT7 will be such a *major* overhaul of QT that the OS dependencies have changed substantially, and it'll be much easier to just ship it with a 10.4 requirement than to retrofit it to 10.3.x.

Which of course is certainly to cause the usual round of whining and bitching from folks not realizing that *gasp* you have to pay for new major functionality. "But whyyyy can't they port QT7 to 10.1.... whhhhyyyyyyyy?" But that's another thread.

Preview of QT7 and 10.4 at WWDC, to be co-released at a later date. Would be nice to be pre-Xmas to push holiday sales of new machines, but Jan is as good a guess as any due to Macworld.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #219 of 437
Also, it's more than possible that QT7 is in fact released at WWDC, but that H.264 is rolled into an update in Jan. It's not like QT7 will be an unchanging brick of code for 18-24 months after being released.
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #220 of 437
If QT7 allows me to save filenames past the old limit, I'll be happy.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
post #221 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
Also, it's more than possible that QT7 is in fact released at WWDC, but that H.264 is rolled into an update in Jan. It's not like QT7 will be an unchanging brick of code for 18-24 months after being released.

True. I suspect, however, that what will be released at WWDC will be (ta-dah!) a developer kit only*, with the enduser client package coming with 10.4. That gives the developers a few months to whip up some amazing new toys for us, and have them ready to roll when the rest of us get the full QT7 package a few months later.

*Ie, beta, buggy, and not oriented towards a clean *user* experience, but just to get info into the hands of developers.
post #222 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
From what I'm hearing, QT7 will be such a *major* overhaul of QT that the OS dependencies have changed substantially, and it'll be much easier to just ship it with a 10.4 requirement than to retrofit it to 10.3.x.

Isn't QT one of the last pieces of the OS that still has all that gummed up goup from OS 9 in it? I think I've heard all this stuff about how it doesn't behave like other frameworks, isnt reentrant or threaded properly, etc. Just getting the plumbing untangled, while not seeming different at a glance, would make the OS a far more pleasant experience and would be a huge help in lots of places. It will open doors for subsequent updates. QT 6 worked this way too, where they added new codec support at least with the 6.x updates.
post #223 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Mandricard
The question I have for the folks here, (more technically adept than I) is about "i**** v2."

Could that be basically NOT a pda, NOT a tablet computer, but say, a portable ("ink"-capable) interface for your base mac that is airport ready?

It's just a thought, but it sounds like AirPort Extreme, and ARA could go nicely together as two cornerstones of this kind of a project.

Mandricard: Good thoughts. A non-PDA, non-tablet! Belle would be proud of you, wherever she may be (RIP?).

An i**** v2, aka iPad, could be even better than an iBook or PowerBook for digital-hubbing on the couch. But if you only had a desktop Mac and an iPad, you would be confined to the reach of your AirPort Extreme network (presumably your home). That is, unless ARA and the iPad could work over a slower connection while you are on the road. The iBooks and PowerBooks would not be redundant, but the iPad would replace them in many situations, e.g. on the couch or on a campus/classroom with an 802.11g network and appropriate servers.

This ARA/iPad idea does fit neatly with DNA and Apple's long commitment to net-booting.

Kormac: What is your take on this?

Escher
post #224 of 437
You guys better be right about QT7. And you guys better be right about the QT framework getting a complete/huge overhaul.

Like BuonRotto mentionned, QT is the last major OS component that still has cobwebs attached to it's code.
post #225 of 437
Quote:
Well. I am tired by many people here that confused.
And people who blame me.

Not me K-man, I have always supported you in the past against goons like Ginsu! I think your insight is right on and it looks to be an exciting year for AAPL (33.56)!

Rock On!
post #226 of 437
Quote:
To TWinbrook46636 :

And downloading 100MB with VDSL is not taking that long.

Who said anything about 100MB? That's childs play. We are talking full length movies here. Even with MPEG-4 H.264 at a DVD quality compression rate we are probably talking about pushing 2GB. Sure it's half the size of a MPEG-2 DVD but it would still take forever to download. It would be a totally different experience from downloading songs off the iTMS.
post #227 of 437
Thank you Kormac. And please do let us know if you learn anything new re: the Apple projector.
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
post #228 of 437
Quote:
To TWinbrook46636 :

YES "Q71" was dead. But,
You mean "Q79" is Dead ?

I don't think so...

Apple has several prototypes that have been shelved. Of course, one of them could evolve into something else as has happened in the past. The fact is, most of the hardware Apple works on doesn't make it to market. They do incorporate parts of them into devices that do however and they learn quite a few things along the way as well. People would be amazed at the stuff they don't release though.
post #229 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
Isn't QT one of the last pieces of the OS that still has all that gummed up goup from OS 9 in it? I think I've heard all this stuff about how it doesn't behave like other frameworks, isnt reentrant or threaded properly, etc.

You are correct sir! In fact, basically most of the OS9 memory model is still in QT6. Think about that for a second... scary, eh? And you're also right that it's not re-entrant, not thread-safe, etc. Think about the speed boosts that are potential once that gets cleaned up.

*drool*

Quote:
Just getting the plumbing untangled, while not seeming different at a glance, would make the OS a far more pleasant experience and would be a huge help in lots of places. It will open doors for subsequent updates. QT 6 worked this way too, where they added new codec support at least with the 6.x updates.

Absolutely. We just need the clean start.
post #230 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
Mandricard: Good thoughts. A non-PDA, non-tablet! Belle would be proud of you, wherever she may be (RIP?).

An i**** v2, aka iPad, could be even better than an iBook or PowerBook for digital-hubbing on the couch. But if you only had a desktop Mac and an iPad, you would be confined to the reach of your AirPort Extreme network (presumably your home). That is, unless ARA and the iPad could work over a slower connection while you are on the road. The iBooks and PowerBooks would not be redundant, but the iPad would replace them in many situations, e.g. on the couch or on a campus/classroom with an 802.11g network and appropriate servers.

This ARA/iPad idea does fit neatly with DNA and Apple's long commitment to net-booting.

Kormac: What is your take on this?

Escher

I'll give you mine... it's what I've been saying they should produce for about, oh, three years now. Finally it looks like the pieces are in place to do so reasonably.

One kick-ass server-ish unit in the house, and several iPads for simultaneous login? Sweet.
post #231 of 437
This thread is interesting - but I think there are some trees being barked up which don't have cats up them.

Quality movie delivery needs more bandwidth than we have now. Period.

Pads and PDAs - even with sexy Apple techofetishism have no substantial market. They don't meet a real human need.

New products and new markets have to do one thing: meet old needs. Basic sweaty old Human needs.

Here's a summary:

Human Need: Communication: -> Tech:Campfire/Postage Stamp/Telephone/iChat
Human Need: Entertainment. -> Tech: Stories/Books/Music/Gramaphone/ Cinema/ TV / iPod
Human Need: Sex. -> Tech: SaucyPostcards/The Pill/VHS/the Web (lol)!

and so on through food, security and work. Notice that IMO, computation is not a human need.

The (home) computer was an odd beast. The device was invented before anyone figured out which human needs it met. Take a look at old Apple ads and see Pop doing the accounts on the kitchen table! I guess they hadn't heard of Paris Hilton in those days.

The iPod was great because it solved an old problem in a new way and the result was undeniably great.

If Apple want to repeat the success of the iPod, it has to go for something magical and universal. To my mind that has to be in the entertainment or the communication realms.

Entertainment is either Audio or Video. iPod is the music brand - so how about video. A properly integrated TiVoLike box would allow Apple to do to the TV industry what it is doing to the Music industry. A portable video player would be lame. I am not convinced that a better videoprojector is in the same league. Apple might do it- but it's no iPod.

Communication need improving too; technology which makes the phone experience better. Either by adding video or improving the interface or reducing the cost. Take on the telcos with VoIP - that would be a good fight!

If I had Apple's coffers, and balls of steel, I would do both.

Carni.
post #232 of 437
Quote:
I'll give you mine...

Thanks, Kickaha. I definitely don't mean to restrict the discussion to Kormac. (BTW: Does your username refer to the music group?)

Quote:
[The "iPad" is] what I've been saying they should produce for about, oh, three years now. Finally it looks like the pieces are in place to do so reasonably.

One kick-ass server-ish unit in the house, and several iPads for simultaneous login? Sweet.

A whole bunch of people have been talking about this idea for a while, of course. We were talking about net-booting here in the late 90's, if not earlier. This is basically just portable net-booting via a wireless connection. But as you correctly point out, until now all the technological pieces of the puzzle were not quite in place. And doing this to enhance the digital hub also makes the concept significantly more useful.

Escher
post #233 of 437
Quote:
Maybe apple has decided that THEY want to be your digital hub...not just their products. they are definitely moving towards a lifestyle company. they take all the things we like to do (or need to do for work), make products that allow us to do them easily and with panache, and i think what i am getting from kormac is the idea that now they want to be the distributor for content as well. look at itunes. right now with the ipod we have a great product yes..but, we can also, through apple, go and download whatever we want music-wise to take with us and use every day. video/movies are the only media that isnt as widely available conveniently. before the flame, i know u can go to your blockbuster and pay tv and order things but if you could go to imovie store and download a quicktime HD (or have it streamed) wouldnt this be simpler?
on the business side, there arent so many video conferencing apps out there that are easily integrated into a workflow. imagine being on a rendevous enabled network at work (maybe quicktime can be useful for this on windows platforms) and being able to conference with an office in another city.
what is the servie kormac is talking about? imovie stream/download service? expanded .Mac type of thing with larger storage and home folder on server? anywhere you go, there you are type of thing...and the home on ipod for those who might not have access to internet everywhere.
point is, i think apple is saying why dont we position ourselves so that while we make great hardware, people can also depend on us for all of the things they do, work or play.
i for one know that even with its limited capabilities i use .mac more and more. for traveling around the country it is nice to be able to have my addressbook (calander could easily be incorportated) and the ability to sync with multiple devices and computers is a godsend (like setting up my new computer recently) .
i know im rambling but kormac was throwing this stuff out to get people talking so....

from Think Secret today: New version of .Mac retail box to ship in July

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/julydotmac.html

mysteriouser and mysteriouser. also they mention that Remote Desktop is shipping in mid-July too...
post #234 of 437
Quote:
You are correct sir! In fact, basically most of the OS9 memory model is still in QT6. Think about that for a second... scary, eh? And you're also right that it's not re-entrant, not thread-safe, etc. Think about the speed boosts that are potential once that gets cleaned up.
*drool*
Absolutely. We just need the clean start.

Exactly!
I don't think it's possible to overstate the significance of the QuickTime overhaul.

If true, as I've been hearing rumors about for quite some time, the quicktime rewrite may finally be upon us. QT got an early lead in multimedia. But this advantage has now turned into a disadvantage. The early API was not only originally less elegant than would be possible today, but it has also grown haphazardly since then.

The overhaul will be a godsend for developers who have to interface with QT. Starting from scratch (or close to scratch) cleans out special cases and loopholes which, in combination, are the source of many hard-to-track-down bugs and unpredictable program behavior.

For Apple, QT7 could expedite programming software or embedded devices to interface with quicktime. Clean code and APIs make for MUCH shorter development schedules.

QT7 is definitely the key to success if Apple is indeed leaning towards more digital-hub products.
post #235 of 437
It is so nice to have a forum that bridges big picture and little picture again. Thanks Kormac! I've been waiting for Apple to diversify its corporate structure into functional groups, and the iPod division is the beginning.

I hope your G5 iMac comes to fuition. With rumors of the new displays being supported by a central armature ('a la iMac LCD screen) we might get the headless consumer Mac that seems to be of major interest ... and it might be big enough to hold the G5's cooling system.

Since the shine is off the apple, so to speak, for the current iMac (unfortunately) it may be a good time to rebrand the consumer Mac to somethiing not even called an iMac. If Apple would do that, then that opens up a whole new consumer marketing effort. They could make a mega AIO or go the quick-connect modular way, that a post suggested earlier.

I can see how an i***v could be a part of the latter. Consumers just feel better about using their legacy monitors and stuff - especially switchers. The iPod is successful because no one had to buy a new monitor to get the music.

I hope not, but the current iMac LCD may go the way of the Cube. So I speculate that the next consumer Mac should be to take the best of both and allow a simple upgrade path for cpu's and graphics cards.

Maybe take the form of the Cube with easier to access components. Add a connector on the top that can fit the back "foot" of an LCD back support leg. The LCD can sit on it's own or ontop of the Cube. That makes it easy to move, maintenance and upgrade.

Nothing new in this post, but I am hopeful that we will see a NEW STRATEGY from Apple with the new hardware and 10.4.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #236 of 437
Whatever happened to moki?
post #237 of 437
A major quicktime re-write?

Dare I say it?

"Quicktime Extreme"
post #238 of 437
I second that, where did moki dissapear to?
post #239 of 437
If QuickTime is getting a major rewrite, I think a beta version of QT7 would be necessary. There's just too many apps out there now that utilize QT. It would hurt lots of developers if Apple released a final version QT7 without notice and killed tons of applications functionality.

The QT6 beta seemed to have been a success, and if this is a huge update we all hope it to be, Apple is gonna need lots of feedback to fix bugs.
post #240 of 437
Not only would a new QT framework need to be dropped into developer's laps, it would defineitely be needed for Apple's own significant dependancy on it with many of their apps, pro and iLife ones included.

Isn't the iTMS UI a whole bunch of QT glued together with a some form of XML formatting? Imagine if iPhoto went bonkers when you go to print. Imagine the fallout if FCP pooped out in some obscure scenarios, as is likely when you have a very complex app like that and only so many people to test it. If QT 7 really is this newfangled OO deliciousness, I see a protracted beta period internally and with developers, plus a possible public beta even.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC and the future of APPLE