or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC and the future of APPLE

WWDC and the future of APPLE - Page 8

post #281 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
My only point was they need to talk about something "developerish"... if they ignored that completely, it would be a slap in the face.

Is the preview of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger not "developerish" enough? Any other introductions and demonstrations -- software or hardware -- will be frosting on the flakes...

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #282 of 437
Well my, my. This is getting nasty quickly... "Who's the most developery on the block?"

C'mon guys, knock it off.

Anybody want to take bets on the next post being "My compiler can beat up your compiler?" Or maybe the old favorite "How long have *you* been developing?"

Jeez.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #283 of 437
This is a great thread. One of the best I have seen on AI in a long time.

But so far this entire thread has been mostly about QT7 and new hardware for audio and video. I personally would like to know a little more about what else is expected to be in 10.4 Tiger.

Mike
post #284 of 437
I think we may be neglecting other important areas, but QT7 is huge.

Back in the OS9 days, QT was obviously and significantly better than the alternatives. People on these fora were rightfully concerned mostly with shortcomings in the Mac OS. The same was true for the early days of OS X.

Now that OS X no longer seems incomplete, focus has shifted to other topics. The same was true back in the IE5 for OSX days. Web browsing was the weakest link and garnered extensive criticism and attention.

The battle front seems to have shifted since other pieces to the puzzle are now generally deemed 'good enough'. The new battlefront is integration with media devices and online distribution of media. In this battle, quicktime will be the deciding factor.

It's enlightening to sit and ponder various cross platform APIs. It is actually quite rare for users to have any such APIs installed unless they are bundled with windows. Java and Flash are the next two that come to mind.

Apple's trojan horse, iPod/iTunes/iTMS has slipped an absolutely huge API onto hundreds of millions of computers world wide. This is perhaps the best way to gain a foothold in the windows market.

However, to continue on this tach, Apple had to overhaul quicktime's originally innovative, but now ramshackle, code base. Yes, I'm still gushing about what QT7 means to the industry. It will the first new, large scale, and cross platform API to dent the Windows market in many years.
post #285 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647

I just wanted to illustrate that XCode is important. Right now apple is getting their ass kicked by everyone as far as IDEs. Add some damn code sense to Objective-C... its time, its not hard. I have heard rumors that it will be in 1.5... but we'll see. I know Microsoft charges for their IDE but VS6 and VS.net blow XCode away...

Code Sense for Objective C was in Xcode 1.0.

Most of the larger Apple developers have Xcode 1.5 now (Select and Premier ADC members).
post #286 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by beamso
Code Sense for Objective C was in Xcode 1.0.

Most of the larger Apple developers have Xcode 1.5 now (Select and Premier ADC members).

I have XCode 1.2 and code sense does not work at all. I had XCode 1.0 before that... didn't work. Why is one of the biggest features of XCode 1.5 supposedly code sense?

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #287 of 437
Why are we pulling this thread down into a egofest again?

Take it elsewhere guys. Seriously.

We don't care.
post #288 of 437
is it just me, or does much of what kormac has been saying for these last couple of years remind anyone else of what rfi was speaking of way back when? aside from the obvoius differences in their writing style, seems they're trying to hammer the same points.. was looking at some old pdf's from the rfi site from a few years back and there was much speculation about dtv, amp (possibly i****v2), pervasive computing and such..

and his name, robert K mORgan, makes you think...

mavster
post #289 of 437
Oooooooh, good catch....

Seriously though, I do think that this convergence has been touted and seen coming for a number of years now, but only recently possible.
post #290 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by mavster
and his name, robert K mORgan, makes you think...

mavster: We've had many suspicions about Kormac's identity over the years. But this is certainly a new and original one.

However, my conclusion is that Kormac's real identity is irrelevant. He makes us think about new ideas, revisit old ones, and question preconceived notions. Kormac fosters the kind of thought provoking discussion that characterized the AppleInsider of old. I'm delighted that Kormac is back, along with the vigorous and creative debate that I love.

We all followed Mac the Knife until his premature passing. Many of us enjoy(ed) reading the Naked Mole Rat. We all enjoy reading Nick de Plume's stories on Think Secret. Kasper Jade and his new friend Katie Marsal are back with a vengeance. Does it really matter whether they are real people or not? That we don't know their real identities? No. That would ruin the whole fun.

Let's continue the discussion! We still have a solid 85 hours to go until Steve's WWDC keynote.

Escher
post #291 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by mavster
pervasive computing and such..

eh? Pervasive in what manner? Someone enlighten me!

SOMETHING besides new friggin monitors and Tiger must appear at this keynote, unless Tiger really is an appreciably impactful piece of work. But as it is, if one thinks about Apple's hardware lineup right now, it's pretty well-rounded in a practical sense. Sure the specs are not where the money-coming-out-of-my-ears power users would like them to be, but remember that there are tons of people (scientists, creative professionals, musicians) that use less-than-modern Mac equipment and operating systems and yet still turn out exceptional results.
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."

"Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments...
post #292 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by fred_lj
Sure the specs are not where the money-coming-out-of-my-ears power users would like them to be, but remember that there are tons of people (scientists, creative professionals, musicians) that use less-than-modern Mac equipment and operating systems and yet still turn out exceptional results.

those people aren't helping apple's bottomline and are not growing the mac base.

the iMac sales are at their lowest ever. this is a product that used to carry apple, and now it actually nearly brings them down.
post #293 of 437
where is Kormac?
post #294 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Odedh
where is Kormac?

Lurking but not posting, it seems. I certainly would like to hear anything else Kormac has to say.

Escher
post #295 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
mavster: We've had many suspicions about Kormac's identity over the years. But this is certainly a new and original one.

However, my conclusion is that Kormac's real identity is irrelevant. He makes us think about new ideas, revisit old ones, and question preconceived notions. Kormac fosters the kind of thought provoking discussion that characterized the AppleInsider of old. I'm delighted that Kormac is back, along with the vigorous and creative debate that I love.

We all followed Mac the Knife until his premature passing. Many of us enjoy(ed) reading the Naked Mole Rat. We all enjoy reading Nick de Plume's stories on Think Secret. Kasper Jade and his new friend Katie Marsal are back with a vengeance. Does it really matter whether they are real people or not? That we don't know their real identities? No. That would ruin the whole fun.

Let's continue the discussion! We still have a solid 85 hours to go until Steve's WWDC keynote.

Escher

I absolutely agree with you right there.. I have enjoyed his and the others speculative postings/articles for years now and can't wait (as many others) for what's next.. In my mind, something big is brewing and has been for a few years.. and it's not the iPod which I truly think took surprised even Apple at its success. Maybe that's why they made it its own devision, as perhaps it was getting too much of Apple's attention.

Steve's egomaniacal side wants to be the best and win.. How do you win in business?? It's not only making great products.... it's making money.. Sure, Apple has been making some millions per quarter, but it's nowhere near the kind of $$$ that SOFTWARE and SERVICE companies make... That's where we've been slowly seeing the transformation of Apple, the computer company..

fred_lj .... pervasive computing as quoted from an old IBM presentation which I snatched off RFI's site a way back when:

Some people call it "the third wave of computing." Some call it "the post-PC era." Some call it "revolutionary." Whatever it's called, the fact is that there is a new equation:
Prevalence of computers + Access to information over the Internet + Smaller, affordable, interconnected devices =
New lifestyle capabilities and possibilities.
The name of this equation is pervasive computing.

What do we mean when we use the term "pervasive computing"? Our definition is "Convenient access through a new class of appliances to relevant information with the ability to easily take action on it, when and where you need to." Let me focus on the key words in that definition. "Convenient" means you're not tied to a desk. Instead, you have devices that you carry with you, such as a cell phone, a PDA, or a smart card. Or you have a larger appliance, like a refrigerator, a washing machine or an automobile, that is connected through the Internet to a desktop hardfile somewhere. "Relevant" means that you are accessing necessary and critical information that you need to make your life easier, whether it's your business or personal life. "Easily" means that you don't have to go through a lot of steps to get the information nor to do something with it.
Let me give you a real example. If I'm traveling and I want to check my email, first I have to open my laptop, then boot up, then connect to the server, then go into Lotus Notes, then go into my email, then look through...And of course there's all the waiting time between each of these steps. In a pervasive world, however, I open my WorkPad, one click, and I'm there.
So what we're talking about is a whole different paradigm than what we have today in the PC world. Convenience, relevance, and ease of use.

mavster
post #296 of 437
I think there is an issue with the "headless" iMac concept.

Apple, I do not see releasing one, as it allows for their potentially beautiful design to be TOTALLY screwed up by any old CRT yucko-view-sonic monitor, etc. They want a signature machine, and a headless mac would not be that. They will control the entire thing, display and all, in my opinion. Not too many people would buy an Apple Flat Panel Monitor, when they can get a cheapo for hundreds of dollars less.

For those of you who *want* a headless mac, despite how good an idea it may seem, I think you are bound to be disappointed for the above reason.

I still see no reason that Apple can't come out with something beautiful and at a decent pricepoint to satisfy everyone, and get the iMac to where it should be again: at the top of their lineup.... an "enabler" for a much heftier G5 purchase.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #297 of 437
mavster is absolutely on the button. Pervasive computing is clearly the future for most people in the western world ie. 'always on' computing and communcations everywhere. All the companies know this but Apple has a particular advantage because it makes the whole widget. dotMac, backup, iSync etc. should be seen in this context and so should future products. I'm convinced now that Apple will make a big move into the 'home network' as the first embodiement of this concept.
Microsoft has to spend a huge effort playing politics and bullying companies into cooperation; Apple doesn't care, all it needs is the network; iTMS (which is working nicely now in the UK) shows how well they can design the back-ends of such services.
post #298 of 437
post #299 of 437
Aren't you forgetting Ryan Meader? \
Quote:

Escher
post #300 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by vinney57
mavster is absolutely on the button. Pervasive computing is clearly the future for most people in the western world ie. 'always on' computing and communcations everywhere. All the companies know this but Apple has a particular advantage because it makes the whole widget. dotMac, backup, iSync etc. should be seen in this context and so should future products. I'm convinced now that Apple will make a big move into the 'home network' as the first embodiement of this concept.
Microsoft has to spend a huge effort playing politics and bullying companies into cooperation; Apple doesn't care, all it needs is the network; iTMS (which is working nicely now in the UK) shows how well they can design the back-ends of such services.

I couldn't agree more. How nice would it be if you could "borrow" a little bit of the refrigerator's computing power (small though it may be), or the home stereo or the laptop, to do something that takes a lot of power. Every item in the home on the home network wired or wireless could provide the distributed computing that could power a whole new class of products. 15 years ago it would take half a day to render a black and white digital darkroom document on a mac. Today you are talking editing DV in real time.

Add distributed computing and holography or immersive VR isn't so far fetched.

Go apple! Think like it's the 21st century.

I want my flying car's software running on a stable apple platform not some cobbled together version of windows from 1986.
post #301 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Merlion
Aren't you forgetting Ryan Meader? \

Merlion: I was under the impression that everybody agreed that Ryan Meader the red-headed stepchild is a crack-smoking freak (see this thread in GD for details). We already know Meader's identity and we know where he lives. We just haven't bothered to hunt him down and tickle him to death.

Note: I didn't list Jack Miller of AtAT fame because we know his identity. For the record, I deeply respect his creative writing, even though AtAT "makes 'Dawson's Creek' look like '60 Minutes.'"

Escher
post #302 of 437
For some who see this thread ignoring Xcode and such stems from the fact that this is the Future Hardware Forum.

One thing that I am getting from a lot of these great posts is that we are understandibly thinking about Apple's future and the coming "convergence" from the point of view of the computer. As Macheads we actually enjoy the computing experience and the UI of doing, working, communicating and being entertained on the Mac. Yet most non-geeks in the Windows world don't feel that way once the eyecandy and saturated colors of WinXP has worn off.

The real driving force of convergence is probably not going to come from the computing public, but from the consuming public ... this is an American industry after all.

It is the iPod that drives convergence, not OSX, no matter how cool we think it is - Expose to Unix.

I have come to think that Apple will not get back to over 10% of the market with OSX or G5's ... unless Tiger is eons ahead of what we can do now. Where Apple can add marketshare and do so exponentially, is to support and innovate the framework of OS agnostic hardware and software.

Content creators, science and education (Apples best markets) will always need the latest and greatest and the OS and G5's will evolve plenty fast to keep them a leader there and with us who want to play with the technology ... or at least play UnReal at fast frame-rates.

But the DEVELOPERS of the future want to know that Apple will be working more and more on "computation" outside the PC. That is where Apple can beat MSoftie. Apple can emulate Sony, better than MS+Intel+Dell will ever be able to. The best example of this is the HP iPod!!

Sony itself is kind of stuck between the two worlds of computing and consumer electronics with a hybridized though quite successful strategy of straddling the fence. Apple by contrast is building a gate (or rather a number of gates) between the two sides of the fence. Each gate is a solution/codec between the Mac and the periferals: QT, iTunes, FireWire, Airport Express, and hopefully more.

In the Digital Hub view of things, the hub is the pc/Mac and the spokes are the periferal devices. If you look at any wheel, though the hub supports the spokes, but it is the latter out on the rim that makes you move! The continued evolution of the iPod will drive the Mac development. iPod users will be making the decisions, not the Mac or PC users. The future digital devices will drive the OS. The iPod buyers will dictate the convergence, not the PC buyers. That is the flaw in Microsofts paradigm. That is why the MS tablets and such keep stalling, when the Palm, Walkmans and iPods thrive.

So for me WWDC and the future of Apple related to Future Hardware will entail hopefully some of what kormac predicts, but as importantly I hope we are given a glimpse into the big picture strategy that Apple sees in using the spokes to guide the hub rather than the hub dictating to the spokes.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #303 of 437
you can do both well.

Look at the PC model. When it first started the PC was strictly a business computer. As business people started buying the PC (or more exactly the IBM units) they found themselves in the home and in the business schools. Gamers as gamers often do wrote games for the PC and the MAC. The mac games were superior originally because of the Mac's superior graphics engine. When the MS/intel/ibm saturation reached a certain point the only choice in the home was a windows pc (computers were 1000+ 10 years ago!) Mac was still a superior product but was double the price. I remember that an apple laser printer was 5k.

Apple is still superior the OS but not so much in the hardware. Yes, it has the quality and the form factor advantage, but that is not going to keep it in the black forever. The ipod a runaway hit will in the long term bring people to the mac. Not now but in a few years when they use the wonderful itunes program and see the apple logo in their face running on windows. Then they switch programs in windows and the whole thing crashes or hangs.

Yes sure you can play more games on the pc platform. Apple must embrace gaming. Gaming drives the market They demand frame rates and large numbers of polygons. The gpu of today is a direct offshoot of the gaming revolution.

Also, remember that gaming is a huge business. Get the gamers to develop for the apple subsidize a really cool video game or a mmrpg on apple servers as a demonstrator and you will have a nail in the coffin of windows. Kids will scream for macs to play the newest coolest games (and me too!!)

apple hardware improves apple dominates the desktop and the networked distributed computing home.

Also Steve J. please give me an apple smartphone. It is another good way for people to see the apple logo every day 20 times a day and love it!!

Brand identity!!

oh and let the phone be UNLOCKED!! please!!
post #304 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by TednDi
you can do both well.

Look at the PC model.

Brand identity!!

Yes, you can do both, and "Brand identity" is important. My point is that Apple already has brand identity and that identity will not change for people who already have their computers. There will be incremental growth from switchers who actually decide to change "brands" but the real growth and market will come from NEW brands, like the iPod. The iPod is successful, because it is a great integrated product, not because of the Apple brand on the front.

You can do both and Apple will, but the growth will come from the new brands, not the Mac itself.
post #305 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
The real driving force of convergence is probably not going to come from the computing public, but from the consuming public ... this is an American industry after all.

It is the iPod that drives convergence, not OSX, no matter how cool we think it is - Expose to Unix.

What sound reasoning, MacGregor!

I dearly love OS X and my iBook (soon to be 12-inch PowerBook). But I also have a Wintel box sitting under my desk. Both systems run QuickTime and iTunes, and will soon stream music to an AirPort Express. I can read the same websites and edit the same Word documents with both too. I vastly prefer OS X's unobtrusive interface, but I can live with Windows as well.

QuickTime would not be a sucess story if it were not cross-platform. Neither would iTunes nor the iPod. The future is platform agnostic. Nonetheless, there is no doubt in my mind that I will choose the superior integration and ease of use of Apple hardware and Mac OS X for my personal needs for as long as they are available.

Quote:
Also Steve J. please give me an apple smartphone. It is another good way for people to see the apple logo every day 20 times a day and love it!!

TednDi: It's a shame that Steve Jobs has specifically denied that Apple would ship a smartphone (at the WSJ's All Things Digital conference a few weeks ago). I'll be looking at a Treo Ace (finally with Bluetooth and transflective 320x320 screen) instead this fall.

Escher
post #306 of 437
TednDi: It's a shame that Steve Jobs has specifically denied that Apple would ship a smartphone (at the WSJ's All Things Digital conference a few weeks ago). I'll be looking at a Treo Ace (finally with Bluetooth and transflective 320x320 screen) instead this fall.

Escher [/B][/QUOTE]

I know, but i still want one. How about someone else running OS X lite on the phone under license??

Sony?
post #307 of 437
Why?

What do you see 'OS X Lite' doing that say, embedded Linux with a decent GUI couldn't?

Seriously.

What would get left *out* to make it 'Lite' enough to be doable on a phone? At which point, what would remain to make it 'OS X'?
post #308 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
Why?

What do you see 'OS X Lite' doing that say, embedded Linux with a decent GUI couldn't?

Seriously.

What would get left *out* to make it 'Lite' enough to be doable on a phone? At which point, what would remain to make it 'OS X'?

Actually you are right.

Problem is I am not a software designer. I am a business owner who was forced for 10 years to use windows and who constantly suffers from the failings of hardware designers. I used mac's for years before the switch to the dark side I am back and as such really don't like inferior platforms. I was an early adopter of the palm platform but that OS is from 1990 (grafitti is worn)

What I would like from apple is a seamless integration with my phone. Bluetooth synching (have now with other sources) voice over ip switching (good for road and home) remote log into any apple computer with all my prefs through .mac if required. Any place I am my office is.

What I want is a secure reliable smartphone that allows me to access my apple products and incorporates the things i use most. Pda light (functions with online instant update)
Good quality (aluminum?)handset and the ipod/itunes integration so I don't have to carry my ipod around to business meetins. just an unobrusive wireless headphone.

That's what I want. What I am going to receive in the market is another matter. What I expect from the market is poor integration shoddy reception, locked phone (no carrier switching), eternally slow start up times and a camera that I don't need. all for the price of 500 bux

so, given the fact that apple could sell a product that most people in the developed world may be able to use (with gsm coverage) and continue to use if unlocked. A wonderful mythical device that could play the vast amounts of mp3's I own and still seamlessly take a phone call. A device that can remember my calendar and keep it updated as my wife adds something on my .mac account. And also keep updated all of my desktop and mobile contacts for my trips away from the office.

That's what I want all without proprietary software that makes it difficult to move my data to my device and from my device. (I owned a palm powered bluetooth wifi sony clie which though nice was still the 3rd thing in my pocket after the phone and the ipod.
post #309 of 437
Quote:
...and a camera that I don't need. all for the price of 500 bux

If Apple makes a phone, it will definitely have a camera, so Steve could say how it could seamlessly export photos over bluetooth into your iPhoto library.
post #310 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by SS3 GokouX
If Apple makes a phone, it will definitely have a camera, so Steve could say how it could seamlessly export photos over bluetooth into your iPhoto library.

at that point steve will be smart enough to make it 3mp insted of the >1mp crap they stuff in the phones now.
post #311 of 437
Quote:
What I want is a secure reliable smartphone that allows me to access my apple products and incorporates the things i use most. Pda light (functions with online instant update)

We haven't talked about over-the-air (OTA) synchronization in quite a while. Didn't Think Secret write that OTA would be included in a revision of iSync sometime last year? Our very own Harald certainly did. But we're still waiting. Using iSync when you're at home via Bluetooth or USB is nice. But it would be 100% cooler if you could iSync via a cellular (GSM or CDMA) network when you are on the road without your 'Book.

With the upcoming version 4 of Mark/Space's Missing Sync, which includes Wi-Fi sync, maybe we'll see all that via a 3rd party solution and the new Treo. It's just a matter of time, but the wait is getting long...

Escher
post #312 of 437
if they add the better handwriting recognition of the ipaq into a palm device then OK. we are 14 years down the road with the old graffitti engine. can't we have better handwriting recognition.

a small keyboard and size of the mini ipod would be nice. perhaps a slim clamshell.

Then again perhaps they are working on a cell phone?

http://www.etaiwannews.com/Business/...1075949225.htm
post #313 of 437
There will never be an Apple phone I can promise you that (makes no business sense) but the software driving the phone, that's a different matter. Think Quicktime, think Java (as alluded to earlier in this thread)
post #314 of 437
There is chance that APPLE will not introduce new iMac and iProject at WWDC but might have special announcement at July 6th.

The focus of WWDC will be development and OS X 10.4. If APPLE feel that the focus has been shifed too much for New iMac, they will select date later than WWDC.

However, APPLE has shown first iMac at WWDC and Apple might do as planned. It is upto SJ's decision.

If this happen, SJ will announce the date at WWDC keynote.

That is for now. See ya later.
Guess! Who I was
Guess! Who I was
post #315 of 437
It's déjÃ* vu all over again...
post #316 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by kormac77
There is chance that APPLE will not introduce new iMac and iProject at WWDC but might have special announcement at July 6th.

The focus of WWDC will be development and OS X 10.4. If APPLE feel that the focus has been shifed too much for New iMac, they will select date later than WWDC.

However, APPLE has shown first iMac at WWDC and Apple might do as planned. It is upto SJ's decision.

http://home.att.net/~badkarma11/wsb/...0/site1012.gif
post #317 of 437
Quote:

The rumor mill is a bitch!

Don't stop Kormac! APPLE (as you like to cap it) is a tough nut to crack.

post #318 of 437
Quote:

I suggest that there will be no major hardware announcements on Monday
as it does not make any sense not to have a major media event. SJ is one
of the few people on the planet who beckons the press and they cannot get
there fast enough.....What is hard to figure out is why he is doing the keynote
without live QT stream or sat feed if there is important CONSUMER news or product(s). As for the July 6 Kormac, why wait an extra week just to have it posted on Apple web site? Would not July 14 (Apple quarterly earnings report) be a better choice? Apple stock is at a 4 year high and there will be lots of press on that date
MS: loving the darkness; cursing the candles
MS: loving the darkness; cursing the candles
post #319 of 437
Quote:
There is chance that APPLE will not introduce new iMac and iProject at WWDC...

Funny how Kormac waits for the Think Secret article to come out before backpedaling on his iMac prediction.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #320 of 437
Quote:
We haven't talked about over-the-air (OTA) synchronization in quite a while. Didn't Think Secret write that OTA would be included in a revision of iSync sometime last year? Our very own Harald certainly did. But we're still waiting. Using iSync when you're at home via Bluetooth or USB is nice. But it would be 100% cooler if you could iSync via a cellular (GSM or CDMA) network when you are on the road without your 'Book.

No idea what the hell happened there. This wasn't a feature of iSync so much as .Mac by the way. My gut feeling is that this function was deemed just the wrong side of what the public wants, similar to the design decisions behind PC-centric music management for the iPod, and canned when the iPhone bit the dust.
meh
meh
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC and the future of APPLE