or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC and the future of APPLE

WWDC and the future of APPLE - Page 11

post #401 of 437
Sorry to ask again but if anyone has access to the full WSJ article (see my post above), this would be great.
The article is linked to from macsurfer.com

It looks like the new iMacs will come at Apple Expo Paris end of August or before....good WWDC keynote for developers, but '1st half of 2005' sounds a bit open.

I don't know if next years' WWDC will be so attractive ?. Tiger will just be out by then....
post #402 of 437
Ugh, that was disappointing hardware-wise. We'll see if the ACD refresh is nice....$3898 for the 30" LCD seems a bit much. I guess Apple MUST have plans for a consumer system sometime soon, though as no one in their right mind is going to purchase an iMac anytime soon. Sales must just suck.....
...we have assumed control
post #403 of 437
Back to hoping.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #404 of 437
What does everybody think?

Quote:
Originally posted by kormac77
Well. I am tired by many people here that confused.
And people who blame me.

The reason I give long technical background is that you have to know this background information and concept to understand the whole concept of products.

I wish I had more people exchange their idea to be added and give more thought about Apple's dirction to help more feedback to APPLE.

Well, I think most of people are not like to talk about general idea but just want to have name and spec.

Here is what will be announced.

- Preview of Tiger: OS X 10.4

- iMac G5.

- New service to support Consumer Electronics.

- 20, 23, 30 inch Monitor with HDTV capability.

- iProjector with WiFi. ( Name may be different. )

There is more in the future for CES but it might be announce at WWDC. ( In my opinion, he will wait for CES )

By the way, check with who will be keynote for CES ? ( Officially, it was not decided. )

The more thing is

* Name can be changed

- iStation ( aka iBox )

- iPAD ( aka i**** v2 )

- And 4th generation iPod with Color dispaly by September.

Well. Are you guys are satisfied ?

It is up to you to belive me or not,
I think this is rumor site, not press or newpaper.
post #405 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Merlion

post #406 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Escher
By the way, Red Hat and Novell apparently just announced that they will bundle RealPlayer with their Linux distributions. I wonder whether this will put pressure on Apple to ship a Linux version of QuickTime, and maybe even iTunes, or whether Apple will simply cede that market to its rival(s).

Escher

I think that will be a next step on the software front!

As for new hardware, I wasn't hoping for much and I agree that new iMacs are in the cards for back to school and don't need WWDC. There is alot to be happy about on the software front and the future if you read the tech specs of Tiger....a year isn't really that long to "hobble along" with Panther.

At risk of talking about "current" hardware in a future forum...the 100 pixels/inch that "Apple engineers" feels is optimum, how does that relate to current PB screens?

Here's to hope for hardware announcements this summer!\
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #407 of 437
Quote:

I think that anyone who believes Kormac is an inside source for upcoming Apple product info is a fool. I knew this several years ago when he claimed Apple was going to release a new PDA at WWDC (2002 I think).
post #408 of 437
Quote:

What did we do with that cross?
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #409 of 437
On a lighter note, it is rather disappointing that no iMac announcement was made...thought not unexpected. I'm personally thinking of upgrading to a 17" model since my 15" is a bit constricting...and it only has a CD burner, not a combo a superdrive. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer.

As I see it there are two possibilies now. Either Apple announces iMac updates at a special press event next month...or...they will announce them at Apple Expo - Paris.
post #410 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Mandricard
Back to hoping.

indeed, Mandricard.

At least the UPS man should bring me a new 12-inch PowerBook in the next week or two. I absolutely enjoy our discussion with Kormac -- insider or not -- and will continue to do so. But I'm glad I didn't rely on him for any purchasing decisions.

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
Here's to hope for hardware announcements this summer!\

Right, MacGregor. I sure those who are looking for a consumer desktop won't have to wait until the fall or winter. \

If only youth would spring as eternally as hope. I feel like I'm getting older and more cynical with every passing Apple event.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #411 of 437
Given that the iMac is drying out in the channel, I think an iMac release is imminent. I'm guessing next month.

I'm not the only person who noticed that the keynote ended 15 minutes early. They must be close, but waiting on something.

So, an Apple Event in July it'll be, then. Now that I've settled on that, it's about 95% likely they'll release it in Paris.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #412 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
So, an Apple Event in July it'll be, then. Now that I've settled on that, it's about 95% likely they'll release it in Paris.

Yep, if not at Apple - Paris, then it will be some kind of special press event...the same way Jobs announced the new iBook.
post #413 of 437
Eleven pages is a pretty good sized thread .... thanks for starting it Kormac.
post #414 of 437
Quote:
it's about 95% likely they'll release it in Paris.

That is a damn good guess. I'll agree with that.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #415 of 437
Quote:
But not until the "first half of 2005!" That literally means we could have to wait until a full year from now.

Not necessarily. Remember, a year ago Apple said Panther would be available before year's (2003) end, and it has been finally released at the end of October. If this is to be repeated (last year Apple essentially said "in the next six months", now they say "first half of 2005"), I would expect Tiger around April-May 2005.
post #416 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
Eleven pages is a pretty good sized thread .... thanks for starting it Kormac.

I second that. Thank you Kormac! Hope to see you again soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Not necessarily.

PB: That's why I said "could have to wait" and not "will have to wait."

I'm still using Jaguar ("Jagwire") on my iBook, and will only move to Panther with my new 12-inch PB next week. So I have an additional 8 months of patience to wait for Tiger saved up.

Escher
post #417 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by concentricity
I guess you don't read /.

LINK

"The Microsoft TV IPTV platform would make it possible to deliver standard-and high-definition TV programming to multiple TV sets in the home over an FTTN network while leaving ample bandwidth available for super high-speed broadband and Voice over IP (VoIP) services."

Microsoft has their grimey little hands in everything don't they? I'm not a huge fan of SBC either. They will do something to seriously botch this up. Hopefully this will force others to compete with them though.
post #418 of 437
Quote:

PB: That's why I said "could have to wait" and not "will have to wait."

Sorry, i missed that.
post #419 of 437
Quote:

I think kormac is full of shit and I don't understand people lik Escher that 'enjoy' discussions with kormac.
post #420 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by kormac77
To DaveGee:

QuickTime7 is THE most important part of this WWDC.

And it is the key part of New Service.

And the new hareware is the key for new service too.

This is 20th anniversary of Mac and Apple will do their best to give a good time for the new way of Mac.

If QT7 is the most important part of the WWDC...why was there zero mention of it?

I hope people continue to live that world you create for them because I like to know people are gullible and stupid and I love to laugh at people like Escher and the likes.
post #421 of 437
Quote:
Given that the iMac is drying out in the channel, I think an iMac release is imminent. I'm guessing next month.

I'm not the only person who noticed that the keynote ended 15 minutes early. They must be close, but waiting on something.

I know everyone wants to see a G5 iMac - but I think the current design rocks, which brings me to the "why dont they just speed bump all the imacs to 1.5G G4's and drop the damm price on them". I believe that the 1.5G G4 would more than suitable for its intended market - and some better GPU options.

Either there simply isnt enough 7447's for this product as well as the PB's or Apple has a redesign/G5 in store, either way, its a damm shame what they are (not) doing to the imac.
post #422 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Sorry, i missed that.

But of course you are right in saying that "first half of 2005" doesn't necessarily mean June 30, 2005. It's just as likely to mean January, February, March, April, or May, 2005. We'll just have to wait and see how quickly development progresses.

There will undoubtedly be leaks of OS X 10.4 Tiger developmental builds. And I'm sure AppleInsider, Think Secret, and RailheadDesign will keep us up to date on those.

Escher
post #423 of 437
The future of Apple.

Hmmmm.

The iPod and iTunes are now a big part of that future whether we like Apple's time and resources taken away from the Mac or not. They already are. Fact.

It's getting the Apple brand(!) good exposure. They're the new Sony. ?

Indirectly, that's BOUND to have some degree (start arguing now...) of halo effect on the Mac division (heh.)

Personally, I don't believe Apple have THE computer for the iPod generation/crowd.

The next 'iMac' should be this computer. Suggestions?

I'd like an AGP slot. I'd like it 'headless'. It would be nice to mount a 17 inch ALU or 20 inch ALU screen LCD on top of the 'i-Serve' 'Mac'.

Myself, I wouldn't mind if they drop the 'Mac' name for this. Would it matter? Especially if they could sell 4 million of these computers without the Mac vs PC stigmatism and perception.

Maybe the motherboard might be build into the into the LCD monitor and the next 'iMac' could be run right off a colour next gen' iPod?

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

IF the next consumer Mac is going to have anything like the impact of the iMac bubble Mac then it has got to do some ground breaking in the way Apple's 'Tiger' is doing. 'Tiger' is challenging the way we use an OS with breaking tech'. Airport 'Express' is doing this. As is the iPod in the way we listen to music.

Apple need a kind of 'iMac Express'. A truly portable Computer Desktop(!). Redefine the desktop.

How much longer before we can run a Mac-scalable 'Tiger' OS right off a colour iPod with a wireless computer and keyboard?

More portable than a portable?

Lemon Bon Bon (Still dreaming...)
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #424 of 437
Does anyone other than myself find it odd that Apple only offers a 20 inch monitor at the low end?

I wonder what will use a 17? Perhaps this headless iMac notion has legs....? Perhaps it will be available as the default config with an iMac with possibility to get a larger one? Yet again, allowing the iMac to function as an "enabler."

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
post #425 of 437
There's enough space below each of the new displays, where a Powerbook or my idea of a 2" thick "Slab" (a.k.a Powerbook without built-in display) can go. Slab can be the headless iMac or next DLD, I hope.
post #426 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
If QT7 is the most important part of the WWDC...why was there zero mention of it?

I hope people continue to live that world you create for them because I like to know people are gullible and stupid and I love to laugh at people like Escher and the likes.

Apple engineers could talk about QT 7 during the sessions, which are NDA'd. The Stevenote is about the only thing during WWDC that doesn't have a NDA.

Given the situation, in a way I'm not surprised there wasn't a mention of it.
post #427 of 437
Quote:
2" thick "Slab" (a.k.a Powerbook without built-in display) can go. Slab can be the headless iMac or next DLD, I hope.

Given how STUNNING a Powerbook is...why not offer a version twice as deep and have an 'i-Serve' Alu.

Water cooled. 2 gig. Agp slot.

Sit under a 17 inch Alu screen.

Compatible with Airport Express. Colour iPod.

Serve iPhoto, iDVD etc to TV, Stereo.

Home server/computer.

A cross between X-Serve and a Powerbook.

I think that would be far more grown up and stunning than the dome, the beige tower, the marshmallow eMac.

It allows Apple and PC users to switch their current computers 'more cheaply'

You got headless. You got Alu. You got yer current Apple studio. You got sync out of sync aesthetic.

A 'consumer' TV serving beast that can go from £495 to low end PowerMac territory depending on integrated or slot upgradeable i-Serve.

Something that can sit on yer Tv or on office desk...or on its side ala PS2 or in racks...ala X-Serve. iGrid to network home cpu power.

Remote controllable ala iPod in glove compartment. So what will become steering wheel? Colour iPod?

Just thinking...

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. Wirelss Keyboard/mouse optional...mandatory?

Hmmm. Imagine if you could use iPod as mouse...with laser out back...use scroll wheel and click...touch sensitive...cover for its screen as your palm rests on it...
post #428 of 437
Quote:

There was, you just weren't listening.

Core Image/Video/Audio... that's the foundation for QT7, and what will make QT production on a Mac heads and shoulders above that for other platforms.

Think of it this way: QT handles images, video, and audio, in a time-encoded way, with data transport streams to and from hardware. That's a lot to replace with new code.

Core* handles the media ends of things, more than adequately. (Heck, these new libraries are just frickin' sweet, and exactly what QT needs for a shot in the arm.)

IOKit handles the hardware data streams beautifully.

QT7 now only needs to handle the time-encoding and to tie the other systems together into a workflow-based API instead of a technology-based API.

I'm thrilled... we're so much closer to a solid QT7 than last week it isn't funny. I'd like to have the new API like two months ago, of course, so I can start targeting it, but this is a hell of a boost. I expect QT7 to be out along side Tiger early next year.

Quote:

Oh good for you. Take that thought with you to keep you warm, as you leave. Thanks.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #429 of 437
H264. Go check it out.

Quote:

post #430 of 437
If the new iMac is being built around a 90nm Freescale part that could very well mean a release of the machine in Europe. There certainly would be marketing advantages to doing so.

My suspicions are that they are waiting on the finalization of a SOC implementation of the G4. That may be a part built in Freescales old US plants or it may be a part from the new partnership in Europe. Either way I think Apple realizes that they have to address the very real price / performance issue that the iMacs have. That can best be done by throwing technology at the problem. A SOC with a PCI-e channel to video would be ideal.

If nothing else we can dream that Apple is actually going to agressively attack market share and pricing. At least until the iMac or its replacement hits the market.

Thanks
Dave

Quote:

post #431 of 437
Kormac says this...

- New service to support Consumer Electronics.

I won't says he is 100% wrong, although iMac/iProjector didn't come out. I think many people missed the importance of the integrated syncing, H264 and RSS feeds for iPod or other consumer devices.

- the new syncing allows iPod or other devices to sync with other applications
- H264 can works for 3G phone, what about iPod? Is Apple coming out with a video devices related to it?
- How about syncing with RSS feeds/bookmarks with iPod or other devices?
post #432 of 437
Why don't you guys wait until today... when the quicktime presentation happens.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #433 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Why don't you guys wait until today... when the quicktime presentation happens.

Yep, definately worth checking out. It goes into quite a bit of detail and the iChatAV presentation at the end was slicker than whale shit in an iceflow!

All part of H.264 and QT magic.
post #434 of 437
Quote:
I'm thrilled... we're so much closer to a solid QT7 than last week it isn't funny. I'd like to have the new API like two months ago, of course, so I can start targeting it, but this is a hell of a boost. I expect QT7 to be out along side Tiger early next year.

Thanks for explaining that bit! QT 7 looks to be awesome!

Thinking while watching keynote, I couldn't help but think that some great hardware could be made from the new QT7 standards and OS tech' in 'Tiger'.

Lemon Bon Bon
post #435 of 437
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon
Thanks for explaining that bit! QT 7 looks to be awesome!

Thinking while watching keynote, I couldn't help but think that some great hardware could be made from the new QT7 standards and OS tech' in 'Tiger'.

Lemon Bon Bon

Not only that... but some great software too.

Quote:

Quote:

post #436 of 437
so i guess the obvious next question is: Kormac, what happened?
its not that what you said was unbelieveable but sheesh, what a let down.
is the tech not ready or is there something else going on that we just dont know about?
post #437 of 437
I think it is plausible that indeed some of the technology is not ready, i.e. the iMac G5.
Quote:
Originally posted by macfly
so i guess the obvious next question is: Kormac, what happened?
its not that what you said was unbelieveable but sheesh, what a let down.
is the tech not ready or is there something else going on that we just dont know about?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › WWDC and the future of APPLE