or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › G5-2.5 shipping dates.

G5-2.5 shipping dates. - Page 6

post #201 of 336
anyone got their 2.5 with 9800 w/ 256mb
post #202 of 336
Seriously, These computers were announce at the end of June and you can't fill the order until the end of October!!! That is 4 months...
post #203 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by KCOM2006

4th Ship Date - Oct 29th

It just changed to that date this afternoon !!!!

OMG! Oct 29th!!!! I ordered mine late june and I knew being in New Zealand I wouldn't be getting it till the early US orders were filled but at this rate I won't be seeing it till November! This is crazy!
post #204 of 336
Lol.... this is worst than last year.... at least apple had the Virginia Tech excuse.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #205 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by ReaganRitchie
anyone got their 2.5 with 9800 w/ 256mb

JUST SHIPPED

2.5 Ghz G5
512MB Ram
radeon 9800XT
bluetooth
airport
160GB SATA
post #206 of 336
Mine just shipped too with an estimated delivery date of the 26th!!! Only 2 months...
--
Like a midget at a urinal I was on my toes.
--
Like a midget at a urinal I was on my toes.
post #207 of 336
It took them 4 days, but they finally updated my order.

2.0G5+9600xt+AE: 9/7 (Note: not 9/3 like they said in the email)

6800: 10/29 (Not: not 9/17 like they said in the email)

wttttf?

"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
"It's not like Windows users don't have any power; I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought." -Steve Jobs
post #208 of 336
Yup, I went through the same thing. After you reply to the email they cancel the original order and split into 2 new orders and you lose your spot in the queue. Then a manager reviews the order and they go back into the system and put you back into the queue where you belong, which is the dates you were told in the email. In a few days the status page will be updated to what the email said.
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
post #209 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by jj
Yup, I went through the same thing. After you reply to the email they cancel the original order and split into 2 new orders and you lose your spot in the queue. Then a manager reviews the order and they go back into the system and put you back into the queue where you belong, which is the dates you were told in the email. In a few days the status page will be updated to what the email said.

Yea it got updated, phew.
post #210 of 336
I just ordered my dual 2.5 on 8/23 and it says 9/28 for a ship date. Do you think it will ship then?
My Specs:
2.5GHz PowerPC G5
1GB MB DDR400
250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm
8x Super Drive
ATI Rad9800 XT w/256MB DDR

This is my first Apple and I am really excited to tear it up. I had enough of my PC crashing all the time when I was working on big graphical projects.
Do we get free upgrades when the newer versions of OS X come out like Tiger or how does that work. Like I said I am new but so excited to get my G5. Sorry for all of you who have been waiting for months that really sucks.
post #211 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by Phorbin
I just ordered my dual 2.5 on 8/23 and it says 9/28 for a ship date. Do you think it will ship then?
My Specs:
2.5GHz PowerPC G5
1GB MB DDR400
250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm
8x Super Drive
ATI Rad9800 XT w/256MB DDR

This is my first Apple and I am really excited to tear it up. I had enough of my PC crashing all the time when I was working on big graphical projects.
Do we get free upgrades when the newer versions of OS X come out like Tiger or how does that work. Like I said I am new but so excited to get my G5. Sorry for all of you who have been waiting for months that really sucks.

There are some circumstances under which you might get a free upgrade to Tiger, but for the most part you probably won't. The ship date looks promising. I ordered mine on July 13th and have a Sept 9th ship date, but I ordered the 6800 which might slide that date even more.

Enjoy your new Mac when it arrives. I know i'll enjoy mine
post #212 of 336
Apple is having big problems with these Cpu's. If they werent they wouldnt be liquid cooling a G5 at 2.5. what else can i say. Amd has some great chips....3500+,3800+ and Fx-53. running at 2.2 and 2.4 these things rock and Intel knows it ,so does the gaming community.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #213 of 336
Just out!

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0408briefly.html

August 28, 2004 - The new iMac G5 is to blame for continued delays in dual-1.8GHz Power Mac G5 shipments. Reliable sources inform Think Secret that virtually all 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 processors that Apple is receiving from IBM are going into new iMac G5 systems, leaving customers looking for the most affordable G5 tower with a bit of a wait.

Separately, Power Mac G5 2.5GHz shipments continue to fall far short of demand. New orders are not expected to ship until late September or early October. Additionally, shipment for new orders of the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL video card, required to drive Apple's 30-inch Cinema HD Display, have been pushed back to late October, although the display is still set to ship in mid-September.
DOUGLASArt.com
DOUGLASArt.com
post #214 of 336
Problems hit MSI Geforce 6800 Ultra

The forum, here, details a number of experiences with the card with garbage being displayed on screens.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17887
DOUGLASArt.com
DOUGLASArt.com
post #215 of 336
3rd delay of my 7/1 order. This time pushed to 9/7.
Is this any way to run a business?
post #216 of 336
Its not their fault aj.

Quote:

Quote:

post #217 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ500
3rd delay of my 7/1 order. This time pushed to 9/7.
Is this any way to run a business?

no, but there's nothing you can do about it. i feel for you, as i went through a long waiting period and will finally get my g5 tomorrow, but there's jsut no way around the delay. keep in mind that there was a large surge of orders on 6/28 b/c that's when the new displays were released, and you placed your order a few days after that. one more week isn't that bad after all this time. at least you didn't order the nvidia card!
post #218 of 336
Weird thing is..

I was in the downtown Chicago Apple Store today (my local one) and they still don't have the Dual 2.5 G5s yet. I asked (grilled?) a number of employees, and while they said they WILL be getting them in soon they said there were none there yet.

Also, no 30" displays there either.

\
post #219 of 336
Apple is getting away with not shipping things a little too much.

Am I the only one that is starting to get frustrated? I love apple but they make it so hard sometimes. Can't ship the 30" displays... even if they were ready the 6800 ultra isn't. Can't ship dual 2.5s or dual 1.8s apparently. Even the dual 2.0s are 1-2 week wait. No iMacs (change tonight hopefully). I'll put my money down that the iMacs will have a 3-5 week est. shipping time.

Why do they freaking announce things before they are ready to meet demand!!! I know it has to turn away buyers when they can't get the product in a reasonable amount of time. They lost my order for a dual 2.5 for a dual 2.0. That is money being lost.

When are they going to get a handle on things. This is incredible how long this has been going on!

Quote:

Quote:

post #220 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Apple is getting away with not shipping things a little too much.

Am I the only one that is starting to get frustrated? I love apple but they make it so hard sometimes. Can't ship the 30" displays... even if they were ready the 6800 ultra isn't. Can't ship dual 2.5s or dual 1.8s apparently. Even the dual 2.0s are 1-2 week wait. No iMacs (change tonight hopefully). I'll put my money down that the iMacs will have a 3-5 week est. shipping time.

Why do they freaking announce things before they are ready to meet demand!!! I know it has to turn away buyers when they can't get the product in a reasonable amount of time. They lost my order for a dual 2.5 for a dual 2.0. That is money being lost.

When are they going to get a handle on things. This is incredible how long this has been going on!

I suppose a lot of this is actually out of Apple's control. If IBM has a problem with chip yield, and NVidia has 6800 issues, then I can see Apple being forced to wait to fulfil their customers' orders until the issues are resolved. I for one am definitely prepared to wait until the 6800 issues are sorted rather than going with an inferior video card (or should I say one that can't run the 30" displays). Hopefully this will get sorted sooner than later, but from the posts on here recently I'm not holding my breath. My 2.5 is still set for shipping on 9/9, but I honestly don't see that happening at this rate.
post #221 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by auslander
I suppose a lot of this is actually out of Apple's control. If IBM has a problem with chip yield, and NVidia has 6800 issues, then I can see Apple being forced to wait to fulfil their customers' orders until the issues are resolved. I for one am definitely prepared to wait until the 6800 issues are sorted rather than going with an inferior video card (or should I say one that can't run the 30" displays). Hopefully this will get sorted sooner than later, but from the posts on here recently I'm not holding my breath. My 2.5 is still set for shipping on 9/9, but I honestly don't see that happening at this rate.

auslander, don't be too shocked if it does ship on 9/9! 1. I have been somewhat convinced that the problem(s) are OS related and not hardware. 2. I really believe Apple has a supply of 6800's enough to cover original early orders. Again it's the software. 3. They are shipping G5 2.5's in mass without the 6800's. 4. I really believe Apple would suspend shipping the 30" displays if they can't send the G5's w/6800's to make them work. In fact my friend, I look at them not changing your 9/9 date as some VERY GOOD NEWS!

If you can tear yourself away from playing with your new toy when it comes to post that you got it that would be WONDERFUL!
DOUGLASArt.com
DOUGLASArt.com
post #222 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by 1douglask
auslander, don't be too shocked if it does ship on 9/9! 1. I have been somewhat convinced that the problem(s) are OS related and not hardware. 2. I really believe Apple has a supply of 6800's enough to cover original early orders. Again it's the software. 3. They are shipping G5 2.5's in mass without the 6800's. 4. I really believe Apple would suspend shipping the 30" displays if they can't send the G5's w/6800's to make them work. In fact my friend, I look at them not changing your 9/9 date as some VERY GOOD NEWS!

If you can tear yourself away from playing with your new toy when it comes to post that you got it that would be WONDERFUL!

I'll be sure to post when it ships. However, I've seen too many slipping ship dates to not expect that to happen again. When I called the ADC store the other day they confirmed my ship date as 9/9 but firmly added an "at the moment" .. whatever that means...
post #223 of 336
Figured I'd post this to help folks get a feel for the results of different orders.

o 7/7 - ordered my dual 1.8 G5 with 6800. I was given a shipdate of on or before 8/31.

o 8/23 - Informed of 6800 delays and I opted to get a 9600XT with my G5(shipped by 9/3) and get the 6800 later(Shipped by 9/17)

o 8/30 - G5 with 9600XT shipped

My only gripe is that while Apple may have been surprised by the IBM delay, they should not have been surprised by the NVidia delay. As a person who has his feet planted primarily in the PC world I could have told you that NVidia was not going to have a steady supply of 6800s until October/November.
post #224 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by len
My only gripe is that while Apple may have been surprised by the IBM delay, they should not have been surprised by the NVidia delay.

you shouldnt have been surprised by nvidia delays either. you knew when you ordered that it was gonna take a while for those cards to ship and that there would be a large demand for them.
post #225 of 336
Oh I'm not surprised, really. However, that doesn't take away Apple's culpability in promising something they knew they couldn't deliver.

I never expected the 6800 in by the end of August but the fact remains they said they'd ship it by the end of August and I think they knew well before Aug 31 that they were going to slip the ship date but decided to wait til Aug 23 to contact me. Hell, I knew by Aug 1 they were going to have a hard time getting enough 6800s so why didn't Apple? A simple "we're unlikely to be able to fill your order by our original shipping date when we have a better idea of when your order will ship will contact you again" note would have been the proper thing to do. To me, this is a failure in customer relations and mind you, it's not a rant on my part, just a gripe with their communications process.
post #226 of 336
You guys can't blame nvidia for this one .

Apple purchases the chips straight from Nvidia and ATI to make their own cards. Don't believe me? Call ATI and Nvidia.

When the 9600xt and 9800xt weren't clocking as they are supposed to be on pcs I called both apple and ATI. Ati mentioned that they don't support what apple ships in the macs because they don't produce the whole card. They only produce the chips. Nvidia is the same way.

So, blame apple for not producing the cards not NVidia. I'm absolutely sure NVidia has plenty of 6800 ultra chips. Just look at how many different 6800 ultra versions there are.

I agree the g5 chip yield is definitely out of apple's control. Which is understandable... but why announce a product when it isn't ready. I feel they lose just as many customers as they would if they didn't announce it and waited until it shipped. It only hurts their stock and reputation in the long run by pre-announcing products.

Quote:

Quote:

post #227 of 336
i'm not so sure about some of your assumptions emig.

Some guy called Nvidia, and they told him the processors were made by IBM, and we know they are having some issues with the G5, so it may very well be IBM for these as well.

And I wouldn't be too sure they have plenty of 6800 chips laying around, cause they aren't exactly "in stores" in europe, backorders..
post #228 of 336
Quote:

So, blame apple for not producing the cards not NVidia. I'm absolutely sure NVidia has plenty of 6800 ultra chips. Just look at how many different 6800 ultra versions there are.

Go ahead and actually try and BUY one.
post #229 of 336
Quote:

There are many different versions but not many 6800s on the street at the moment. Nvidia and ATI are having a hard time meeting demand for their new cards.
post #230 of 336
**Update**
My order was bumped up to Sept 3rd, after splitting my order to a 9600 and a 6800 card. But I highly doubt this will even ship!
post #231 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by KCOM2006
I'm sorry, but I think this is BULL SHIT !!!!

Apple is really FUCKING around with their loyal customers... it seems like a pattern of the last 2-3 years. Announcing something and then not shipping it until 2-3 months later.

DAMN, why doesn't apple just announce the Dual 3.5 Ghz processor and put an esitmated ship date of July 2005. They must actually think people like the thought of owning a computer instead of USING one!!!

**Update**
My order was bumped up to Sept 3rd, after splitting my order to a 9600 and a 6800 card. But I highly doubt this will even ship!

So golly, Apple got slammed with orders of 30" display's. So golly Apple needed to fill orders for the 6800 to cover 6800's G5's with 30" displays. How stupid. Excuse me KCOM but if you owned a business and ended up with more orders than you expected I'm sure you'd have handled it different! NOT! I'm sitting on over $8,000.00 worth of G5 order and I'm sick of your whining. Go but a PC! As discusted with Apple as I am I don't care to hear your whining!
DOUGLASArt.com
DOUGLASArt.com
post #232 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by 1douglask
So golly, Apple got slammed with orders of 30" display's. So golly Apple needed to fill orders for the 6800 to cover 6800's G5's with 30" displays. How stupid. Excuse me KCOM but if you owned a business and ended up with more orders than you expected I'm sure you'd have handled it different! NOT! I'm sitting on over $8,000.00 worth of G5 order and I'm sick of your whining. Go but a PC! As discusted with Apple as I am I don't care to hear your whining!

You're the one out of order here. This is a thread about G5 2.5Ghz shipping dates. All of us here (perhaps including you) have G5 dual 2.5GHz orders in and are waiting for the orders to be fulfilled.

I don't want to hear your whining here, the same way you ostracised me for commenting (in a very civilised manner I might add) in your 30" monitor thread.

The rule? - keep it on topic and be polite.
post #233 of 336
I ordered my 2.5 on the 8.19 with a 6800. Well day one said a ship date of 10.01 but then the next day changed to 10.29. So I have a feeling I may be in for quite the wait.

John
post #234 of 336
I just got the dreaded email. My dual 2.5, 30", 6800 which I ordered last month will not ship until 10/25. The ship date seems to change every week now. This would be my first Apple and I am beggining to understand why they can't get past a miniscule market share. It obviously takes a lot of patience to be a Apple customer. I'll probably cancel my order.
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Intel Core Duo and 30" Display, 15" Mac Book Pro, iPhone 4, iPad 64 3G 64
post #235 of 336
I just ordered a 2.5DP on Monday (8/30). It has a shipdate of 10/6.

Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200)
160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
Combo (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)
ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM
'But God really exists' said the old man, and my faith was restored for I knew that Santa Claus would never lie.
'But God really exists' said the old man, and my faith was restored for I knew that Santa Claus would never lie.
post #236 of 336
September 2nd...

As many in this forum know, their order should be shipping tomorrow (on or before 9/3/04).

Well I called Apple today and my order hasn't shipped yet, nor is it sitting on the dock waiting to ship, nor is it currently being built. The order has only been acknowladged by manufacturing...

I'd be willing to bet anyone that Apple will NOT be able to meet my FOURTH estimated ship date!
post #237 of 336
Sorry KCOM... this is the reason I said screw the 2.5 and went 2.0. I knew it would be around my bday (sept 19th) when I'd get my dual 2.5 from a june 9th announcement.

I also wanted to avoid a water cooling system until they have proven themselves for 2+ years of not failing. Personally I'm very happy with my Rev B 90nm dual 2.0. So much quieter and have less problems than the Rev A's had.

Quote:

Quote:

post #238 of 336
Much to my surprise my Dual 2.5Ghz G5 finally arrived today (no BTO options). Now just waiting for the 6800 Ultra to ship but that's a bit of an easier wait.
post #239 of 336
OT: Does anyone know if the 2GHz PM is also affected by these production problems? The Applestore says 7-9 days waiting for the 2.0, but they also say 6 weeks for the 2.5.
post #240 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by gerwin
OT: Does anyone know if the 2GHz PM is also affected by these production problems? The Applestore says 7-9 days waiting for the 2.0, but they also say 6 weeks for the 2.5.

Can't comment on the 2.0's but the 1.8s dont seem to be unaffected, got mine yesterday(9/1). Just waiting on 6800 which is about 2 weeks away
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › G5-2.5 shipping dates.