or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › G5-2.5 shipping dates.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

G5-2.5 shipping dates. - Page 3

post #81 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by Leppo
Yeaaaaaarrrrrghhhhhh!!!!!

(Sorry, the tension is just getting to me. Friday can't get here soon enough. At least by then I'll hopefully know more information.)

First they're going to ship yours, then they're going to ship his, then his, then his....Then they're coming to my housee to take back my coveted computer desk from windoze! Yeaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrcggggggggggghhhhhh!!!!
post #82 of 336
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by JMoney
What did you order?

2.5ghz with 6800. Quoted ship date 30/7, I switched specs from the 9600 without losing my place in the queue.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
post #83 of 336
Hey,

I just thought of something. with one of the nVidia a couple of years back Apple gave the customers who ordered the cards the option of getting their machine on time and when the video cards became available those orders were filled. That could be a reason for the ship date not slipping when the card is added. In a way kind of hate remembering this becuse it might get hopes too high. But it has happened before.
post #84 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by xsmi
Hey,

I just thought of something. with one of the nVidia a couple of years back Apple gave the customers who ordered the cards the option of getting their machine on time and when the video cards became available those orders were filled. That could be a reason for the ship date not slipping when the card is added. In a way kind of hate remembering this becuse it might get hopes too high. But it has happened before.

Out of interest, how does that situation work? Do they ship you a machine with another video card and then swap that out when the 6800s come into stock? Or just delay the shipment?

Just curious..
post #85 of 336
I don't know.. if I'm shelling out the big bucks for the G5, I think it's worth waiting for the nVidia card. If I recall on the PC side the nVidia smoked the ATI..
post #86 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by JMoney
I don't know.. if I'm shelling out the big bucks for the G5, I think it's worth waiting for the nVidia card. If I recall on the PC side the nVidia smoked the ATI..

It depends what you are referring to? OpenGL or DirectX... directx the x800xt smoked the 6800 ultra. OpenGL the ultra was a few fps faster than the x800xt in doom3 benchmarks. Hardly blowing it away. Only reason I would take the 6800 over the x800xt is drivers. ATI's drivers suck big time... always have. But if it weren't for that I would take the ATI because it only uses 1 pci slot space and doesn't require at least a 480 watt PowerSupply to run it. You can run it on a 300 watter if you want to.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #87 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Only reason I would take the 6800 over the x800xt is drivers. ATI's drivers suck big time... always have.

In my experience ATIs drivers are better on the Mac than NVidia's although NVidia's Mac drivers appear to have matured a lot since the GeForce 2MX days when I was using them. I have not had a single problem with ATIs drivers for either the Radeon 8500 in my old desktop or the Radeon 9200 mobility in my iBook and that includes some heavy gaming usage.

The NVidia 6800 Ultra does block a PCI slot but so does the 9800XT. With no X800 available, the 9600XT is the only real option. Personally I'd rather loose a PCI slot than stick with the 9600XT.

I'm waiting for my dual 2.5Ghz G5 to arrive too. Unfortunately here in New Zealand Apple doesn't do build to order so I had to buy a standard configuarion G5 and then buy the 6800 separately. \
Still, I guess I can sell the 9600XT to someone wanting to upgrade their Fx5200.
Apple won't give me a shipping date. Best they say about the G5 is "late july" which I'll be happy with if they actually manage it (which I doubt). As to the 6800, they currently say they have no idea when it will ship. Aren't you all glad you aren't ordering your new Macs here...
post #88 of 336
Thread Starter 
God Apple NZ doesn't sound like a sales organisation it sounds like a sales prevention organisation.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
post #89 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by auslander
Out of interest, how does that situation work? Do they ship you a machine with another video card and then swap that out when the 6800s come into stock? Or just delay the shipment?

Just curious..


They shipped the bottom card in the machine then shipped the nVidia Card when it became available. I don't know if they gave any credit for instillation or not.
post #90 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by xsmi
They shipped the bottom card in the machine then shipped the nVidia Card when it became available. I don't know if they gave any credit for instillation or not.

I'd be down with that plan. My iPod (which had a July 26 shipping date) was shipped yesterday, so I'm optimistic that Apple will start getting the 2.5's out the door soon.
post #91 of 336
There are people on the macnn forums expecting their very early orders of 2.5 w/6800 in late august. I dont understand how I ordered mine 7/12 and have a 7/30 date that apple has confirmed twice. I'm starting to expect a last minute delay of another month.
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
post #92 of 336
lol... i'm johnnydr87 there....

same exact post....

Dear god, let them be shipped this friday.
post #93 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by SwitchingSoon
lol... i'm johnnydr87 there....

same exact post....

Dear god, let them be shipped this friday.

Mine's supposed to ship tomorrow...LOL!! We'll see...
post #94 of 336
Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings here...but..

My order, which was supposed to ship today (July 28th) has been changed - yes that's right!!

To September 9th!!!

Well, I'm a bit disappointed of course, but not in the least bit surprised I suppose. Maybe it will arrive in time for the Mac release of Doom 3??

Ah well... \ \ \
post #95 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by auslander
My order, which was supposed to ship today (July 28th) has been changed - yes that's right!! To September 9th!!!

Where did you order from and when? Did you get a custom machine? Which video card?

I went through the Apple Store and mine still says 7/30, as does two of my friends. I ordered around the 15th or 16th of June, I think.

Dual 2.5, 250 GB, Bluetooth, 1 GB ram here
post #96 of 336
I guess it's the 6800 video card that is the cause for your delay.

With the intro they said it wouldn't be available until late august, even if some orders still showed 7/30 when they changed it to the 6800, but that was just a flaw in the system apparently.

Than sept 9th doesn't look like a huge delay, if you consider your videocard wasn't supposed to ship until late august..

I guess everybody who changed their orders to the 6800 will begin to report similar date changes..

but who knows, it might ship mid august..
post #97 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by Leppo
Where did you order from and when? Did you get a custom machine? Which video card?

I went through the Apple Store and mine still says 7/30, as does two of my friends. I ordered around the 15th or 16th of June, I think.

Dual 2.5, 250 GB, Bluetooth, 1 GB ram here

I ordered through ADC in early July. It's a custom order though. Dual 2.5, 2x250GB, 4GB Ram, NVidia 6800, Bluetooth and Airport Extreme.

I'm fine with this though, as I really didn't order it that long ago.
post #98 of 336
Also ADC is very weird. Such as today. Since I changed my order from the dual 2.5 to: dual 2.0 with 9800xt, 20gb iPod, and Printer... Well the printer was supposed to be the last thing to ship (8/11/04). Well I just got a shipment notification with a tracking #. Well today I put in the tracking # at fedex, and its in town already.

Moral of the story is: Shipment dates really don't mean a WHOLE lot. The girl kept telling me she wouldn't know if my dual 2.5 would ship before 8/31/04 until the 7/30 date had passed. My order was originally set for 7/30 but got moved back to 8/31. And yes this was all through ADC.

At this point if you order you will get a stuck with a 8/31/04 or later shipping date. I needed a mac now and I don't really need that 20% speed increase.

Anyways, If you put your order in after july 15th or whatever, I wouldn't expect your machine until september.

And yes this was all through ADC

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #99 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Also ADC is very weird. Such as today. Since I changed my order from the dual 2.5 to: dual 2.0 with 9800xt, 20gb iPod, and Printer... Well the printer was supposed to be the last thing to ship (8/11/04). Well I just got a shipment notification with a tracking #. Well today I put in the tracking # at fedex, and its in town already.

Moral of the story is: Shipment dates really don't mean a WHOLE lot. The girl kept telling me she wouldn't know if my dual 2.5 would ship before 8/31/04 until the 7/30 date had passed. My order was originally set for 7/30 but got moved back to 8/31. And yes this was all through ADC.

At this point if you order you will get a stuck with a 8/31/04 or later shipping date. I needed a mac now and I don't really need that 20% speed increase.

Anyways, If you put your order in after july 15th or whatever, I wouldn't expect your machine until september.

And yes this was all through ADC


Yep, you're right. Well, I just checked my FEDEX tracking # and my new iPod was delivered this morning to my office. That'll take the edge off a bit
post #100 of 336
quoting myself from macnn:

"Ok, just called apple again. The guy I spoke to said it did seem a bit fishy and he didnt think the card was available until mid august or later. I was then put on hold for 15 min while he spoke to a supervisor. When he returned he said the first batch of 2.5's will go out friday FOR SURE as will a limited # of 6800's. He said anyone ordering a 6800 now could expect it in mid august and if my order is delayed on friday I should be able to expect it mid august."
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
post #101 of 336
Thread Starter 
I wish Apple would announce machines when they are ready to ship. This waiting is killing me, my current machine is dead on it's feet B & W G3-300 and I spend 50% of my day watching the spinning wheel, it is long overdue for replacement. Sometimes this thing drives me insane, click spin wheel, click again, spin wheel again argh.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
post #102 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by jj
quoting myself from macnn:

"Ok, just called apple again. The guy I spoke to said it did seem a bit fishy and he didnt think the card was available until mid august or later. I was then put on hold for 15 min while he spoke to a supervisor. When he returned he said the first batch of 2.5's will go out friday FOR SURE as will a limited # of 6800's. He said anyone ordering a 6800 now could expect it in mid august and if my order is delayed on friday I should be able to expect it mid august."

I just called ADC and they said that the estimate I got, "will ship on or before Sept 9th" is definitely a worst case ship date. He said within the next 2 weeks is a much more likely time as they are shipping 2.5s w/6800s already.

Well, 2 weeks is better than 6 for sure.
post #103 of 336
stupid stupid stupid

post #104 of 336
Holy CRAP, my mom just told me that they charged our credit card today (the CC company called her)

MAYBE THEY'LL SHIP MINE SOON!!
post #105 of 336
Thread Starter 
Thank God, I hope mine does the same. Have you checked the status of your order on-line if so what does it say now?
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
post #106 of 336
From what I hear, there has been a delay in getting materials to Ireland where some of them are assembled, I don't think that there is any chance of 2.5s been shipped this month........pretty much sucks..
post #107 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by Machanic
From what I hear, there has been a delay in getting materials to Ireland where some of them are assembled, I don't think that there is any chance of 2.5s been shipped this month........pretty much sucks..

err...damnit

oh and my order...hasn't updated...still on or before 7/30

i just checked with my mom to check if the order had the right price (double checking) and yes it was ~%$3,800
post #108 of 336
I can't wait to see what happens in 2 days.... I think a lot of peeps are going to be disappointed.

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #109 of 336
Apple ship dates are perpetually disappointing. I have a feeling they may ship a couple 2.5's w/ 6800's just to be able to say they did. I'm guessing it will be random orders from before july 15th as history dictates Apples definition of "first come, first served" is a bit fuzzy.
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
post #110 of 336
they are still working on the builds of 10.3.5 and now the 3rd build has gone out so i dont expect to see any G5s until that build is ok'd. i would be very surprised to see my 2.5 before aug 15th now
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
Reply
post #111 of 336
ughh... guys at other forums are telling me that it could have been just an authorization/pending charge and i most likely will get my order in 1 or 2 days, but they have heard it as late as 1 month after the call
post #112 of 336
My card has had a pending charge since last week. It means we're getting close, but don't assume it means right away. All in all, my shipping date still says 7/30 and I'm cautiously optimistic.
post #113 of 336
alright...

stupid stupid stupid stupid
post #114 of 336
Great, just changed to 8/20.
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
überlurker since oct '99
_my backpacks got jets_
Reply
post #115 of 336
Yep, and now i'm FVCKING pissed off.
post #116 of 336
Thread Starter 
Appleinsider you had better change your front page because it looks like the release just got pushed back by three weeks
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
post #117 of 336
Quote:
Originally posted by Addison
Appleinsider you had better change your front page because it looks like the release just got pushed back by three weeks


SO MANY MAD FACES EVERYWHERE!
post #118 of 336
Mine just got pushed to 8/20 from 7/28.
post #119 of 336
Mine just got pushed to 8/20 from 7/28.
post #120 of 336
Mine just got pushed to 8/20 from 7/28.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › G5-2.5 shipping dates.