or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Maya unlimited hits osx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Maya unlimited hits osx

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
It is here, just announced at WWDC, that seems to be the last hurtle for content creators, now EVERYTHING can be done on the mac...eccept cad
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #2 of 33
i was really amazed to hear that 25% of their sales is for mac. that's HUGE news.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #3 of 33
You beat me. Plenty of happy Maya users now on this one. Now give'em some fast cards.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
You beat me. Plenty of happy Maya users now on this one. Now give'em some fast cards.

Me too. Whoo hoo!!!!. Now I don't have to buy that PC as long as Apple gets a new 3D card from their Nvidia manufacturer. Being that the 30" display is Nvidia only I would expect Apple to get a Quadro in the lineup by Seybold where they have a huge presence this year to show off Tiger, all the Apple Pro Apps, Renderman, and renderman artist tools, and Maya Unlimited on.

Quadro 4000 on the mac today please.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #5 of 33
LOL

Onlooker I knew you wouldn't be too far away!

So far so good. I hope Apple puts up a little info on Tiger on the website. Hmmmmm Core Image and Core Video. Sounds very interesting I want to know more.

Developers start your engines!
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
LOL

Onlooker I knew you wouldn't be too far away!

So far so good. I hope Apple puts up a little info on Tiger on the website. Hmmmmm Core Image and Core Video. Sounds very interesting I want to know more.

Developers start your engines!

Did you check out that Nvidia 6800 DLL, or whatever it's called hmurchison?
I wonder what a 3D user can expect from that? At least It's better than the ATI cards that I dislike so much.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #7 of 33
I sure did. It's a tad spendy but it's nice to have the 6800 as an option.

Ok the obvious droolworthy setup now is a Powermac 2.5 with a 30" LCD



I'm thinking that this card might also run two 23" fine. I'll have to see if that's possible. I'm hoping so.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #8 of 33
How important for additional sales of Power Macs is this? Isn't it a bit of a niche market?
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Reply
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Addison
How important for additional sales of Power Macs is this? Isn't it a bit of a niche market?

Any niche market that doesn't blink at spending this kind of money is worth targeting.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
Reply
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph
Any niche market that doesn't blink at spending this kind of money is worth targeting.


Yes someone over at MacAch brought up an interesting point. The 30" display can correctly show a 2k scan. I'm sure some well heeled individuals would like this. It'll be out my price range for a while. Those not needing the resolution might be able to utilize 2 23"
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #11 of 33
I think that card can power 2 of any DVI displays.

So here is my dilemma.

I like Quadros. ( we all know this) This card could be a Quadro if the firmware, and drivers were correct (I think) but will Nvidia release that firmware for us. I'm thinking not. Because what would the PC side say if they did?

What Apple has to do at Seybold is demo this New Nvidia 6800 optimized by utilizing Core Image, and some fancy 3D acceleration leveraging Quarts Extreme, Core Image, and touch on the open-GL shader development, (DevKit comes with Xcode), or something to that effect if there are no other 3D cards coming for the Mac. They also need to show the results of what a PC Quadro is doing on the PC side vs. this card with Apples optimizations for 3D, and compare them to semi-prove that this setup can match a PC in 3D. That way Nvidia hardware developers can still charge $1,800.00, and up for their Highend graphics cards, and PC users cant blame Nvidia for it. It will basically put a feather in the hat of Apples OS development.

However - Now that Maya Unlimited is coming to OS X there may a graphics card manufacturer that sees opportunity here to sell a few cards to Mac users. All they need to do is port the damn firmware, and drivers. (I think) The cards should fit, and we already know nvidia GPU is cross system compatible because it's designed that way.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
Did you check out that Nvidia 6800 DLL, or whatever it's called hmurchison?
I wonder what a 3D user can expect from that? At least It's better than the ATI cards that I dislike so much.

I much prefer ATI cards than NVidia on the Mac from past experieince but I must admit to being seriously interested in this card considering it's a generation ahead of any Mac ATI cards currently available. No CTO 9800XT with a Dual 2.5 GHZ for me anymore...
I hope it pressures ATI to release Mac X800 cards before this card starts shipping.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by MattB
I much prefer ATI cards than NVidia on the Mac from past experieince but I must admit to being seriously interested in this card considering it's a generation ahead of any Mac ATI cards currently available. No CTO 9800XT with a Dual 2.5 GHZ for me anymore...
I hope it pressures ATI to release Mac X800 cards before this card starts shipping.

The reason I dislike ATI cards so much wouldn't affect most users, but it's solely because 3D, and Open-GL. ATI's Open-GL is atrocious. IF you do 3D ATI is a freaking joke, and will cripple your efforts.
I' imagine they do well in regular computing needs, but their highend 3D cards don't even compare to Nvidia's low end 3D cards.

An ATI FireGL X2t (ATI's high end 3D card) is outperformed by a Quadro FX 1100 (Nvidia's Low end - entry level 3D card) which has 1/2 the memory, and is an entry level 3D card. It's not very impressive for ATI's highend 3D card is it.

Nvidia's highend Quadro FX 4000 is 20x the card in 3D of anything ATI can muster up.

But I'm sure ATI has a pretty good card for the everyday user because they sell a lot of cards.


Here is a good comparison
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #14 of 33
I swear. (all the time) I've never been so fleabangin' happy in all my life.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
The reason I dislike ATI cards so much wouldn't affect most users, but it's solely because 3D, and Open-GL. ATI's Open-GL is atrocious. IF you do 3D ATI is a freaking joke, and will cripple your efforts.
I' imagine they do well in regular computing needs, but their highend 3D cards don't even compare to Nvidia's low end 3D cards.

I was talking purely about their consumer cards, certainly FireGLs and Quadros seem to be another matter entirely. It would be great to have the options of these too. Hopefully the death of ADC will help things along.
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
I sure did. It's a tad spendy but it's nice to have the 6800 as an option.

Ok the obvious droolworthy setup now is a Powermac 2.5 with a 30" LCD



I'm thinking that this card might also run two 23" fine. I'll have to see if that's possible. I'm hoping so.

It runs two 30" displays if you want it to!
post #17 of 33
a single graphics card will run dual 23's but you'll need two graphics cards to run dual 30's because the res on a 30" is so great that it takes up both monitor slots on the video card.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by bizdizzle
a single graphics card will run dual 23's but you'll need two graphics cards to run dual 30's because the res on a 30" is so great that it takes up both monitor slots on the video card.

No I think the 6800 Ultra DDL has 4 DVI connections for dual 30" display output. Not totally sure, but thats what I thought after watching the keynote.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #19 of 33
Come on guys, learn to read...

http://www.apple.com/displays/digital.html

If you look at the sidebar to the lower right, it clearly states that the nVidia card can run dual 30" ACDs...

And it clearly shows that the card in question has two dual link DVI ports...

Therefore, one monitor, one port used...

Two monitors, both ports used...

All with a single nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL card...

But I would use the second port to connect a 18" Wacom Cintiq LCD tablet display myself...

Would be great for Artisan, Paint Effects & 3D Paint in Maya; not to mention using the LCD tablet with Motion or Shake...

Cheers!

;^p
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Reply
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin

<snip>


Yup, it can run two 30" monitors through one card. Dual Link does not mean Dual Ports. Dual Link is the tech within a Single DVI connector on the video. Dual Link is part of the reason that this card takes up a AGP as well as an adjacent PCI slot.

The fact that the monitors are DVI now will also aid in getting more cards onto our platform.
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Yup, it can run two 30" monitors through one card. Dual Link does not mean Dual Ports. Dual Link is the tech within a Single DVI connector on the video. Dual Link is part of the reason that this card takes up a AGP as well as an adjacent PCI slot

It doesn't actually use the second slot. The physical dimensions of the card are so large, that it blocks one of the PCI slots.
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
Reply
"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
Reply
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Beardsley
It doesn't actually use the second slot. The physical dimensions of the card are so large, that it blocks one of the PCI slots.

Yeah, that is what I meant, just worded it incorrectly.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
Come on guys, learn to read...

http://www.apple.com/displays/digital.html

If you look at the sidebar to the lower right, it clearly states that the nVidia card can run dual 30" ACDs...

And it clearly shows that the card in question has two dual link DVI ports...

Therefore, one monitor, one port used...

Two monitors, both ports used...

All with a single nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL card...

But I would use the second port to connect a 18" Wacom Cintiq LCD tablet display myself...

Would be great for Artisan, Paint Effects & 3D Paint in Maya; not to mention using the LCD tablet with Motion or Shake...

Cheers!

;^p

At first disagreed MacRonin, but now I don't.

I thought SJ said the 30" display used 2 DVI "plugs" to power the display, so naturally I thought there would be 2 plugs coming from it.
That's why I thought the card pictured was a stand in for a later card with 4 DVI ports. My Bad.

I must go correct myself in another forum.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
I disagree MacRonin although I'm not going to watch the Video again to find out.

As I recall (did you watch it?) THe 30" display has 2 DVI connections to power the display. I think the card pictured is a regular 6800, and the card we will see in August isn't the card that ran dual 30" displays.

Then again I could be wrong, but I thought that is how SJ showed, and described it in the keynote.

The 30" monitor only uses one DVI port. You do however NEED the new NVIDIA card. The NVIDIA card is the one that was used on stage and at the Developers Conference. The NVIDIA card has special Dual Link DVI ports. It actually has two of those. That is how you can actually hook up 2 30" ACDs. I think you misunderstood Dual Link as dual port.
post #25 of 33
You popped up in there before I finished my edit damn it!.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
You popped up in there before I finished my edit damn it!.

post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by foad

Yea, but look at the size of this biache next to a human for scale.



=========================================



That mother trucker is BIG
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #28 of 33
Jeebus

Those white keyboards gotta go. They are definitely clashing and ******* up my feng shui.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Jeebus

Those white keyboards gotta go. They are definitely clashing and ******* up my feng shui.

Yeah. With their naming change isn't there chance for a new Apple Pro Keyboard. Aluminum with Alps mechanical switches... and um... backlit! Yeah, thats the stuff.

Can't wait to see the displays at our local Apple stores. I'm sure to be poor afterwards.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
Reply
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
Reply
post #30 of 33
That thing is awesome, and if I didn't use Maya I may find a way to pay for it, but I am not made of money either, and I can't afford a new G5, +, Maya Unlimited. + Highend Graphics card, and that display. I can finance the first 3 though.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #31 of 33
Firstly, when is Seybold? How long do I gotta wait? I had my finger hovering over the "proceed to checkout" button on the PC I was buying because Mac just didn't have Maya unlimited...

iDunno
Owen stop reading my posts.
Reply
Owen stop reading my posts.
Reply
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by iDunno
Firstly, when is Seybold? How long do I gotta wait? I had my finger hovering over the "proceed to checkout" button on the PC I was buying because Mac just didn't have Maya unlimited...

iDunno

If you were referring to where I said Seybold up there I actually meant Siggraph. And it's August 8 -12th. That's kind of a long ways away isn't it?
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
post #33 of 33
Onlooker, that is too far away! Especially when I was resigned to buying a PC, now I don't want to do... but thids is now just rehashing the thread at cgtalk.com that we have both posted our thoughts on.

iDunno
Owen stop reading my posts.
Reply
Owen stop reading my posts.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Maya unlimited hits osx