or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Tiger server: thoughts?

Tiger server: thoughts?

post #1 of 4
linky

i must say apple have stepped up to the plate with this -- a couple of top features for enterprise level customers.

ichat server could be a *winner*

the permissions manager is something i've been after for a long time (wish this was available in normal Tiger, as my server runs normal and not server OS)

home directory syncing

any thoughts?
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #2 of 4
I particularly like Mobile Home Directories, Software Update Server and ACL compatible with Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP ACLs. The last of them will be greatly appreciated by non-Mac IT staff.
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. Putts Law
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
linkyi must say apple have stepped up to the plate with this -- a couple of top features for enterprise level customers.

ichat server could be a *winner*

True, but I think they should built real (standards based) collaboration functionality into it.

Quote:
the permissions manager is something i've been after for a long time (wish this was available in normal Tiger, as my server runs normal and not server OS)

If you are talking about access lists then they will also be available in the non-server Tiger version according to Jobs's keynote.

Quote:
home directory syncing

This feature will be available with .Mac (or any WebDAV-based server for that matter).

I don't have any hands-on experience with the server version, but form looking at the manuals and Apple's website, it lets you store the users' home directory on a central server and further more lets you administer user profiles centrally.
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally posted by RolandG
This feature will be available with .Mac (or any WebDAV-based server for that matter).

No, .Mac syncing won't sync all of your home folder (according to the preview).

I'm looking forward to home folder syncing, blog server, local software update server, and high availability failover.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Tiger server: thoughts?