or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New iMac's in Sept - **CONFIRMED**

New iMac's in Sept - **CONFIRMED**

post #1 of 303
Just check the Apple Store, and select iMac.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #2 of 303
Is this really Apple, where they tell us what's coming?

Where am I?
post #3 of 303

Nice catch

Were they hacked? Seems like the anti-aliasing on the graphic kinda sucks.

What if this GNAA thing goes deep into Apple's website team?
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #4 of 303
Now that is both strange and cool. For anyone who doesn't want to check the link themselves, what it says is that they are no longer taking iMac orders since a new model will be "announced and available" in September and that Apple had planned to have the new model ready by now but that something went wrong and they apologize.

So I wonder if they are holding off on the announcement since they want instant availability or because they are scared of something else going wrong.
post #5 of 303
I thought you were just going to mention about shipping dates or something along those lines. This is interesting, it's the first time I remember seeing Apple announce an impending release of a product like this. (aside from the premature specification ) Regardless, it has my interest peaked. Since it won't ship until september I hope that Apple will blur the line, temporarily, between it and the low end powermac and offer some great improvements.
post #6 of 303
has anyone called apple to confirm this?
post #7 of 303
Looks like the notice is only up at US and Canada stores. You can still buy an iMac in Japan and Europe.
post #8 of 303
A note is also posted on the iMac page under Hardware. I definitely believe this is real.

My guess is that IBM missed delivery of enough low-power G5 chips. Rather than introducing the iMacs at WWDC they're gonna do it in a few months when they can ship them or ship them soon.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #9 of 303
The wording is very poor.

I vote hack. (not really)

Quote:
(transcribed)
iMac
Apple has stopped taking orders for the current imac as we begin the transition from the current iMac line to an all-new iMac line which will be announced and available in September.

We planned to have our next generation iMac ready by the time the inventory of current iMacs runs out in the next few weeks, but our planning was obviously less than perfect.

We apologize for any inconvenience to our customers.

Just feels odd...why tell us? Won't this make the remaining iMac sell even more slowly? Doesn't add up...

Apple...admit a mistake?
Apple...APOLOGIZE?
post #10 of 303
Only in the US store, folks.
Maybe a hacker indeed. (or the rest of the world has to catch up )

Correction: It's also in the US educational store. I guess it will be true after all.
A new iMac will make sense with the current model being outperformed by the cheaper eMac and the recent update for the G5s.
post #11 of 303
That's amazing! Gotta mean G5 iMacs, new form factor?
post #12 of 303
I buy the hacking argument - doesn't seem right. Why the apologies?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabid
Now that is both strange and cool. For anyone who doesn't want to check the link themselves, what it says is that they are no longer taking iMac orders since a new model will be "announced and available" in September and that Apple had planned to have the new model ready by now but that something went wrong and they apologize.

So I wonder if they are holding off on the announcement since they want instant availability or because they are scared of something else going wrong.
post #13 of 303
The site was not hacked. I have confirmation. I vote that Apple has one more ACD screen to release (hint, a 17") and that they will use make use of the VESA mount and make us proud.
IBL!
IBL!
post #14 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by johnq
Just feels odd...why tell us? Won't this make the remaining iMac sell even more slowly? Doesn't add up...

They're probably just out of them.
post #15 of 303
The wording is odd, but I'm tentatively voting real. The image comes from an Akamai server, so an outside attacker would have to both get the image uploaded and edit the WebObjects components displaying the page, which are almost certainly not on the webservers themselves. It *could* be an inside job, but every minute that passes without it being corrected makes it more likely to be real.
post #16 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by kumrabai

Why the apologies? Isn't there a quarterly results conference call coming up shortly? if yes, with such low stock of iMacs and with so many predicting new models, perhaps they want to reassure investors.
post #17 of 303
They must have truly screwed up and have no stock left at all!

I don't think its a hack.
post #18 of 303
What if it is due not to IBM but due to display shortages?

If it is headless, you'd want more regular displays than normal. If it isn't headless, you'd have more competition for the display guts to divvy between iMac and Cinema displays.

Then again maybe it doesn't use a display but is a projector and there is a shortage of 1500 lumen bulbs... <-- kidding!
post #19 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by kumrabai

Um, how about because they actually sold all of the current ones they had? Would it be better if they kept taking orders for two months for a product that was sold out? Maybe we'll see some big discounts from third-party vendors on the current models now...
post #20 of 303
Looked again. This is soooooo hacked. Why leave the specs and prices there? Why be so sure about shipping dates when the new imac hasn't been announced/launched.

Someone's hurtin'

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.1416
The wording is odd, but I'm tentatively voting real. The image comes from an Akamai server, so an outside attacker would have to both get the image uploaded and edit the WebObjects components displaying the page, which are almost certainly not on the webservers themselves. It *could* be an inside job, but every minute that passes without it being corrected makes it more likely to be real.
post #21 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by aleph
Only in the US store, folks.

Canada as well, although not Australia or UK. (Yet?)
post #22 of 303
Okay, I back off my paranoid hack theory.

But I maintain the anti-aliasing sucks Must have been a quickie.

Anyway, any news is good news at this point. (As long as Apple doesn't pull a Bungie).
post #23 of 303
Odd.
post #24 of 303

Jeez-louise, do any of you conspiracy/doubting clowns EVER just simply believe something that's written? Ever? No, you have to start talking "hacking" and stuff.

Get a grip. It's real, you delusional nutballs.
post #25 of 303
looks like some people here might have to apologize to Kormac, and it seems suprisingly I have to say considering his track record that Nick Depulme's sources were wrong about Apple laughing at an iMac rumor
post #26 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates

Jeez-louise, do any of you conspiracy/doubting clowns EVER just simply believe something that's written? Ever? No, you have to start talking "hacking" and stuff.

I don't think it's a hack. Just odd that Apple ran out of inventory and didnt have the next gen ready to go.
post #27 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
The site was not hacked. I have confirmation. I vote that Apple has one more ACD screen to release (hint, a 17") and that they will use make use of the VESA mount and make us proud.

"VESA mount"?

Would you say 17" only iMac or 17" and 20" as now?
post #28 of 303
Isn´t this really close to the worst way of saying this?

What benefit do they have from this that wouldn´t be achieved by Steve at least saying on stage "Oh one more thing. If you like the iLamp now is your last chance. Have a nice WWDC"
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #29 of 303
So we're going to be having no inventory of iMacs for the next 2+ months? Way to go! I'm sure it's going to look good as far as unit sales go (not). There is absolutely no Mac in the price range of $1,000 - $2,000 now unless you can find an iMac in stock somewhere. But then, it hasn't been updated since last September, why would you want to pay so much for that thing now?

They're once-a-year update cycle for Mac desktops (which seems to be the norm now) is really pathetic.
post #30 of 303
OK I became a believer.
So the new iMac G5 will be there right in time for the Apple Expo 2004 in Paris (31 aug to 4 sep).

Strange though that Apple seemed to have planned a silent update (or did the iMac sell better then they expected?).
post #31 of 303
dont know what to say,first time ever that i see apple doing this,something weird is happening 'round here
post #32 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by bborofka
So we're going to be having no inventory of iMacs for the next 2+ months? Way to go! I'm sure it's going to look good as far as unit sales go (not). There is absolutely no Mac in the price range of $1,000 - $2,000 now unless you can find an iMac in stock somewhere. But then, it hasn't been updated since last September, why would you want to pay so much for that thing now?

They're once-a-year update cycle for Mac desktops (which seems to be the norm now) is really pathetic.

Well Apple did say in their statement they still have a few weeks inventory, and also, other countries i'm sure also have inventory. so it's not bad Apple will anounce the iMac with imeediate availability, I guess they didn't want the backlog which happened with the 2nd generarion iMac, which was a big reason why it lost it's sex appeal people got rid of the wait, and more pissed off when Apple had to raise prices, so Apple won't have an iMac to sell for the entire month of August, it won't be the first time, usually they announce a product and say avilable in a month, this time they decided not to show itm until it's avilaible i guess
post #33 of 303
on a related note, AAPL is dropping like hell, 1.90$ on after hours as of right now
post #34 of 303
be sure to tune into Apples financial results on the 14th.. may be interesting...

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq304/
TD
TD
post #35 of 303
So when will they take pre-orders, they need a log of preorders to ship with their usual tardyness (see ipod mini and PMG5)

lets hope VT doesnt want an iSupercomputer...

and when will we see pix and spex?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #36 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by Odedh
on a related note, AAPL is dropping like hell, 1.90$ on after hours as of right now

Everything tanked today, I don't think it had anything to do with this, which seems to have happened after the markets closed anyway.

The best bet for the reason for the delay has to be the 970fx. But if that's the case, why didn't they upgrade the iMac several months ago to 1.5 Ghz G4s, 8x Superdrives, etc.? It's not like they didn't know there was a delay with the chip.
post #37 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by Odedh

As expected. Glad I got out at 32. Now I have to decide whether to get back in tomorrow.
post #38 of 303
Holy friggin' crap!!! I cannot believe this stealth announcement. Now we'll be waiting with baited breath for 60 days.

Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
I vote that Apple has one more ACD screen to release (hint, a 17") and that they will use make use of the VESA mount and make us proud.

Let's hope you're right, Matsu. A headless iMac that could mate with the new Alu displays and a new 17" widescreen via the VESA mount would be brilliant. Apple could join them at the factory. Then both the AIO camp and the headless iMac camp would be well served.

Quote:
Originally posted by pscates

pscates: Your wording always cracks me up. Even more so than the "delusional nutballs" in this thread.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #39 of 303
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Everything tanked today, I don't think it had anything to do with this, which seems to have happened after the markets closed anyway.

Nope: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=aapl . Down 0.24 in regular trading, down 1.90 after hours.
post #40 of 303
Maybe it's something other than the chip...

[whistles innocently...]
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New iMac's in Sept - **CONFIRMED**