or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › "New iMac Based On G5"-Oppenheimer

"New iMac Based On G5"-Oppenheimer - Page 3

post #81 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
It would be interesting to know how you were able to check the power data. Did you actually measure input voltage and current to the CPU? If you did, does the 2.0 GHz 970fx run at lower voltage, like 1.1 Volts rather than 1.3 Volts for the 970?

All my information comes either from Apple IBM or the net. I do believe that it is accurate. Now if you make comaprisons with some of Intels product the argument may take a different slant but if you compare with AMD hardware I think everyone will see the light.
Quote:

Regarding the 90nm process, I only know what I read, which is that Intel is in the same boat. The 90nm Intel chips are showing very unimpressive gains over the 130nm chips. Now, if we compare the Intel chips with the IBM 970fx, I have trouble believing your evaluation of IBM. The 2.0 GHz dual Xserve was chosen for a cluster to do research for the Army and it will be the second most powerful computer in the world. Apple, with IBM's 970fx, beat out the competition on performance, price and ease of administration. Maybe you could elaborate. Also, I am pretty sure that Intel's fast processors run very hot too.

I'm not so sure Intel is in the same boat. They are doing very well with Dothan. Many of the problems with Prescott go beyond the 90nm issue.

Thanks
Dave
post #82 of 83
Is it just me or does this whole thing seem really last minute to you guys. Apple having size and heat problems, a G5 iMAC before a powerbook, and short supply. O and apple don't screw up in the design the current or no longer current iMAc was sweet looking don't screw it up!
post #83 of 83
Quote:
Originally posted by volcom1206
Is it just me or does this whole thing seem really last minute to you guys. Apple having size and heat problems, a G5 iMAC before a powerbook, and short supply. O and apple don't screw up in the design the current or no longer current iMAc was sweet looking don't screw it up!

I am very skeptical about the report of a "heat problem." I was pretty sure it was a supply of the 970fx all along, and Apple confirmed my suspicions. When a company does a good job of testing and evaluation in the design stage, there is no excuse for insufficient cooling when a product reaches manufacturing. Pilot production usually shows up inconsistency problems.

What may have happened is that IBM was unable to supply CPUs that meet the maximum power dissipation specification. The 970fx may be running too hot now to use in the design, and it will take time for IBM to get that parameter under control. There could be this element of truth in the rumor, but the rumor distorts the true picture.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › "New iMac Based On G5"-Oppenheimer