or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

post #1 of 485
Or if youve got a real picture then post that too....
post #2 of 485
iMac 3

Just an idea...
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #3 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by philbot
iMac 3

Just an idea...

Looks a bit to much like the current design... I hope they kick it up a notch.
Spider-man 2 RE-MASTERED in IMAX! July 23rd. www.imax.com
post #4 of 485
Go to www.Applele.com This guy has some pictures of his renditions for the new iMac. He also has other interesting concepts.
post #5 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by willcurrie
Looks a bit to much like the current design... I hope they kick it up a notch.

i quite like it I hate those loose speakers rolling around my desk.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #6 of 485
Like the hush PC:

http://www.hushtest.de/hushshop/shop...3d_stecker.jpg

Or a very small tower (10"x10"x3"), with the 10x10 sides covered with heatsinks.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #7 of 485
Doesn't Appleinsider have one? Where is the picture of that?
post #8 of 485

-M
post #9 of 485
Is that the Sony Vaio AIO desktop?

Tried one in PC World.

Hmmm.

If that's the competition then the iMac 3 will be Return of King.

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. Could see using similar idea for eMac transition to LCD.
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #10 of 485
Yeah, that is the Sony Vaio Z series. It looked alot better in the Wired magazine ad. The speaker lump at the base is kinda bleh. The monitor looks 14-15"...it would look better in widescreen 17" or so...

-M
post #11 of 485
Well, here's my idea:

The CPU is behind the LCD and you can see a slot-loading SuperDrive on the upper right. Notice there's a cable going to a box. My idea is, instead of having ports on the back of the Mac itself, a single cable goes to a breakout box for power, modem, Ethernet, FireWire, and USB ports. That way, you don't have a bunch of spaghetti coming off the back. The cable would of course be longer so it can go to the floor. Sure would be neat.

Oh, and wireless keyboard and mouse add to the clean, clutter-free look.
post #12 of 485
Holy shit, that's cool!
post #13 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Rolo
My idea is, instead of having ports on the back of the Mac itself, a single cable goes to a breakout box for power, modem, Ethernet, FireWire, and USB ports. That way, you don't have a bunch of spaghetti coming off the back. The cable would of course be longer so it can go to the floor. Sure would be neat.

That's a pretty slick idea actually.

-M
post #14 of 485
Rolo- I admire your CGI skills but no offense you stole my idea . Ok odds are that it is just a coincidence (hey great minds think alike ). Your design is slightly different than my idea but a very good pic. but the port box is very similar. I posted this in the "new imacs in sept. confirmed" thread on 7/4/2004.

Quote:
Base: A 17" display on a hinge similar to new monitors. CPU and ports on back, as well as disc drive parallel to the screen. Power flip to move the screen facing the ceiling, exposing ports and drive. Power flip down to the original position that the computer remembers.
Add: Connectivity box can connect to the computer through proprietary cable or wifi (more on that feature in a sec) and have many ports, ipod dock, flash memory card reader and maybe in a partnership with Kodak an easy share dock, maybe even more things I cant think of. With wifi you could put it in Your front hall or bedroom or anywhere , in an apartment this feature would be dumb, but in a house you dont always head for your computer the first thing.
"The only second chance you get in life is the chance to make the same mistake twice"
"The only second chance you get in life is the chance to make the same mistake twice"
post #15 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra48
Rolo- I admire your CGI skills but no offense you stole my idea . Ok odds are that it is just a coincidence (hey great minds think alike ). Your design is slightly different than my idea but a very good pic. but the port box is very similar. I posted this in the "new imacs in sept. confirmed" thread on 7/4/2004.

It has to be the great minds think alike deal because I didn't see your post. I love the idea of a breakout box because it's so clean and simple. Apple has something like this on their new displays but this goes a step further.

I didn't mention how the stand works. Hinged top and bottom, the screen would have the same degree of adjustability as current iMacs. It just wouldn't swing side to side since you can just rotate the base for that.
post #16 of 485
I like that concept picture alot rolo! looks worthy of a Mac, though the wireless keyboard and mouse standard may be pushing it a bit far (though it would be really cool, and braggin rights)... so they might just add the keyboard/mouse port at the base of the imac, somewhere near the back.

also, why is the shadow so elongated?
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #17 of 485
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/saramaentie6/imac3.jpg
(bad photoshop mockup :-) )but this is my silly idea. only one cabel. :-)

20-inch iMac G5 1.4GHz $2,299.00
(17-inch iMac G5 1.4GHz $1,849.00)
1680 by 1050 pixels (optimum resolution)
(like -> 20-inch Apple Cinema Display)
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB DDR SDRAM (optional ATI RADEON 9600 XT with 128MB DDR SDRAM)
256MB PC3200 (400MHz) Supports up to 2GB ( two slots)
80GB Harddisk (SATA)(160, 250GB option)
Superdrive 8X
Bluetooth/APE
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
One FireWire 800 port, two FireWire 400 ports; three USB 2.0 ports; AGP 8X Pro slot with graphics card installed
Built-in Pro Speakers (14 watts each) Internal 40-watt digital amplifier (internal Speakers can use only 28 watts)
Optical digital audio input, optical digital audio output, analog audio input, analog audio output, headphone minijack and speaker
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet and 56K V.92 modem
Compatible with VESA FDMI (MIS-D, 100, C) compliant mounting solutions (Requires optional Cinema Display VESA Mount Adapter (M9649G/A)
Software: Mail, iChat, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Chess and Classic environment; Microsoft Internet Explorer, EarthLink (includes 30 days of free service), Quicken 2003 Deluxe, World Book 2003 Edition, Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4, Deimos Rising and Sound Studio; Apple Hardware Test
post #18 of 485
I think that a better direction would be to build a base that has the computer in it, with a VESA compatible mount that could be used with any of the availiable Apple monitors. The motherboard could be mounted vertically in a base of similar design to that of the new display line, and HD and optical drived mounted in a thicker "foot" of the display. You might even be able to fit one of Apple's "protable" video cards in next to the HD. This would give Apple the ability to use the same components across lines, but easily exchange the dispay to meet the customer's needs. It would also increase their orders of the current design display, which should ring some cost savings in increased orders from thier suppliers.
post #19 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra48

There's a small Danish company that's already stolen your ideas: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web/beocenter2/
post #20 of 485
Here is my mock up of what I hope the next iMac is:

I know there's a better image out there, but I couldn't find it.

post #21 of 485
Here are the back and side views of my model, above:

You can see the ventilation slots in the top and bottom of the chassis in the back view. Side view shows double-hinged support arm in two positions. Although I'm showing the chassis in plastic, it may well be metal.

I also like the idea of a separate CPU (headless iMac).

P.S. The reason for the elongated shadow in the original image above is because the light was too close. I moved it up in these shots.
post #22 of 485
..but your protuding support for the new iMac would make the placement slightly akward
post #23 of 485
Quote:
Here are the back and side views of my model, above:...

What is that base made out of? It would have to be a pretty heavy base to counterballance the weight of of that display (with computer and drives included). Either that or you would need to screw it down to the desk.
post #24 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by @homenow
What is that base made out of? It would have to be a pretty heavy base to counterballance the weight of of that display (with computer and drives included). Either that or you would need to screw it down to the desk.

The base is solid metal but would have to be too heavy due to the Y shape. The heaviest components like the power supply and HD can be in the bottom of the chassis. The spinning HD also acts like a gyroscope.

I think I'll modify the basic design a bit to include speakers. The breakout box can have a jack for an optional subwoofer.
post #25 of 485
Patrik_L, thats not at all it, either that or you accidentally posted the wrong link. that beocenter looks like a dvdplayer
post #26 of 485
Quote:
...The spinning HD also acts like a gyroscope. ...

I like this line, but to make it reality would probably add more per unit in R&D in both placement and design of the HD to fit the design requirements than the original retail price of the original iMac.
Quote:
The base is solid metal but would have to be too heavy due to the Y shape. The heaviest components like the power supply and HD can be in the bottom of the chassis...

The arm pivots at the base and at the "monitor" in your rendition. It is also relatively thin, so I doubt that it could be built heavy enough to counterballance the computer as you illustrate. Even if the HD and DVD were at the bottom of the monitor/computer the weight is still in that part of the computer, and would need to compensated for in the weight and design of the foot of the computer. Maybe if it were made of mercury, but that is impossible for many reasons.
post #27 of 485
Here's an updated rendition with side speakers:

post #28 of 485
Extremely sleek mock ups of the new 'iMac'.

Yeahs. I can see that.

Anybody notice anything. But remember the 'Athens' concept PC from M$?

Yeah. Apple stealing a bit back from the Wintel boys that stole from iMac?

It looks like Apple are producing their own 'Athens' computer without the tacky side handle. (Anybody got a link to the 'Athens' concept to compare the 'look'?)

Of course, seeing Roland's mock-up I can now visualise even more what the iMac is going to be. It's a monitor/Mac. On a Studio display hinge stand.

Rid of the eclectic chrome arm. Nice but boutique.

You only need to adjust a monitor up or down. Not side to side. It's irritating to have something off centre horizontal anyhow.

Look at how many monitors have pants adjustable displays. Placky hinges...clunky and cheap...

Roland, the one thing I don't like on the above mock-up is the organice swoop feet design. Many LCDs have this 'spilt' plastic slick look and I don't like it. I like the definite alu 'foot' of the Apple Alu stand. And it looks drop dead gorgeous from the back!

Plus, if they have a standard foot component common to iMac and displays then it will save on costs surely.

I'm thinking more and more that the new iMac might be alu look. The alu look seems to be very popular on the PowerMac, PowerBook and X-Serve and iPod Mini. Cost can't be an issue judging by iPod mini.

I'd recommend the alu look for the new iMac and iBooks. And they can offer them in annodized colours as gimmicks.

Nice mock-ups, guys.

Lemon Bon Bon
post #29 of 485
what I don't understand ever from the introduction of the last iMac is this:

if the mac is the chosen platform for many visual artists...

then why didn't they build the display so you can swing it into vertical "portrait" mode ? ? ? ? ? ?

is it that too hard to implement ?

I really think they missed a chance on the last iMac and now again on the new displays....

am I the only one here? Hell I'm not even into graphics, I'm a sound engineer, I just think it would be really usefull for graphics professionals....

what say you ?
iPatch

pirating for the rest of us
iPatch

post #30 of 485
I think the 'Breakout Box' idea is very, very cool.

Stevie boy seems to have one of his 'things' about swivel/portrait displays. I don't know why. The Original iMac was the receptionist's fovourite and that would be a useful feature for office use. The lampshade iMac was the obvious candidate but I just don't think they could get the engineering together. Maybe next time.
post #31 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by vinney57
Stevie boy seems to have one of his 'things' about swivel/portrait displays. I don't know why. The Original iMac was the receptionist's fovourite and that would be a useful feature for office use. The lampshade iMac was the obvious candidate but I just don't think they could get the engineering together. Maybe next time.

Perhaps putting it in portrait mode would make it too top heavy and make the thing instable and likely to tip over....
I could see that happening to the 30"

iPatch

iPatch

post #32 of 485
I like Rolo's 'less-wires' concept a lot. Reminds me of why Apple started the all-in-one iMac in the first place.

So that brings to mind a question. What are the odds that Apple will make a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse standard on this generation iMac? Are they still too expensive? The pics sure look sexier without cables.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
Robots are everywhere, and they eat old people's medicine for fuel.
post #33 of 485

A component copy and paste jobby.

Just some thoughts: ports hidden in the pedestal behind a door, sliders on the monitor for brightness and volume. Wireless everything else.

Where do the drives go? Man, you tell me.
The shortest distance between two points is NO DISTANCE.
post #34 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by macinJosh

A component copy and paste jobby.

Just some thoughts: ports hidden in the pedestal behind a door, sliders on the monitor for brightness and volume. Wireless everything else.

Where do the drives go? Man, you tell me.

Nice design but I have a few comments:

There is too much wasted space around the edges.

Apple would not use those sliders for volume/brightness ever since that's already dealt with more elegantly in the OS.

I like the base but think they are trying to get away from running cables through the support arm so it wouldn't look quite as elegant as you have it depicted.

Just my comments, and that I envy you bastards for your graphic talents
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #35 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
Apple would not use those sliders for volume/brightness ever since that's already dealt with more elegantly in the OS.

I like sliders....

sliders make my stu look cool
sliders make my job look cool
sliders make me look cool

hell I guess I'm a slider kinda guy

bring 'em on!

hewever, I think they should be ribbon controlers like you see on synths..
way cool, way more apple....
iPatch

iPatch

post #36 of 485
Before sliders, I was thinking touch-sensitive areas (like tall trackpads) on each side for volume and brightness.

Might still be cool, but I thought adjusting the monitor height/angle might lead to some goofiness with trackpads.
post #37 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by macinJosh
Before sliders, I was thinking touch-sensitive areas (like tall trackpads) on each side for volume and brightness.

Might still be cool, but I thought adjusting the monitor height/angle might lead to some goofiness with trackpads.

I think Apple likes to keep as much in the way of controls/switches out of sight as possible. I like the mockup you created and think it could look better if you ran the speaker grills from top to bottom and trim the excess border down a bit. If I wasn't so skeptical about the connectors on the base I'd say that is a great design .
post #38 of 485
Quote:
Here's an updated rendition with side speakers:

Very nice design... kinda reminds me of one of those sharp (?) flat panel tvs... way cooler of course
post #39 of 485
OK, here are my latest design updates, based on comments here. Metallic look, different foot, more like the Alu display line.

post #40 of 485
I'd love a mixture of rolo's display design (even with the mainboard ans processor in the display) and bancho's foot. I don't fancy the idea of a breakout-box.

The optical drive and maybe the harddrive should go into the foot, though, to get them into a horizontal orientation.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here