or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here - Page 4

post #121 of 485
I have done a quick 'iMac' in Cinema 4d, can I email it to someone to put it up here as I dont have webspace.
post #122 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Looks way too close to this

He? What pills do you drop?
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #123 of 485
Quote:
Starting to look more like a computer, less like something you'd go "Wow" at...

Isn't that what we really want though.
post #124 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by lucida
Yes I would prefer a headless Mac with a matching screen.

Don't know if it would be classed as an "iMac" though...

Maybe the Apple screen could "dock" with the base unit without wires...?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=43894
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
post #125 of 485
Quote:
Isn't that what we really want though.

Umm... I'd say "no".

Sure, we'd like something that doesn't cost twice as much as a comparably-speced computer, and one that isn't entirely form over function. But I think we still want something pretty amazing. Especially from a line of computers like the iMac.

If Apple ever decided to stop making whizbang computers in that particular segment of their product grid, I think they would just drop the iMac name altogether. The iMac line is synonymous with "Wow", from a design point of view.
post #126 of 485
I'm happy to let the pony tail brigade pay over the odds for a form over function iMac.

What I really want now is all the power of a G5 tower in a desk friendly white plastic box, no bigger than an old 7600.

Back in the old days there was too much choice, literally dozens of Mac models, so even a pro user would have difficulty deciding between them. There was always a desktop and a tower range. But then, even the desktops had 3 PCI slots and a swappable graphics card. And they were half the price of the towers.

If Apple released the model I've submitted on this thread for £999, I'd buy one in a flash.

post #127 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by lucida
I'm happy to let the pony tail brigade pay over the odds for a form over function iMac.

What I really want now is all the power of a G5 tower in a desk friendly white plastic box, no bigger than an old 7600.

Back in the old days there was too much choice, literally dozens of Mac models, so even a pro user would have difficulty deciding between them. There was always a desktop and a tower range. But then, even the desktops had 3 PCI slots and a swappable graphics card. And they were half the price of the towers.

If Apple released the model I've submitted on this thread for £999, I'd buy one in a flash.

aahhh you talk nostalgia, getting glassy eyes...
post #128 of 485
I'm starting to like the box with monitor on top. It may look alittle like a computer, but since you can drop the monitor (I'm expecting) down to cover up the front, it won't be much different than having an LCD display sitting there, 'a la current iMac2. Rectilinearity is a better form for me in a computer, and cheaper to build, UPGRADE, etc.

I just can't get into white .... please someone try a graphite or metallic color on a mockup so that it doensn't look like a fancy bathroom scale?!
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #129 of 485
To accomodate the G5, they might just enlarge the base unit.

Maybe big it up for better GFX?

post #130 of 485
Quote:

Buy THAT guy a pint.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #131 of 485
Quote:
That is sort of what I'd like to see. Cool, clean, with a matching 17" LCD on top.

Kind of reminds me of a Quadra 700 - a beautiful little box.

I think an iMac should have a face.

Like This?

Der-rool. Reminds me of a home cinema style system. Build in a tv tuner and...BAY-BEE!

I like Lucida's style. Simple. To the point. No showboating. And he backs it up with a nice pic.

I'd buy that. Swappable graphics card. Sizes? 15/17/20/23/30. 'iTV'(heh.) Too easy for Apple?

Hmurchison did a nice alu'/Quadra(?)/X-Serve style AIO pic that I think he posted at AppleNova forums. See if we can beg him to post it here?

It made me go 'Wow' bar the screws...

Lemon Bon Bon
post #132 of 485
Well, I better post one I suppose....

Brushed aluminium like new displays....

LCD screen moves between 0-20 degress on "barrel" hinge...

G5 processor starting at 1.6 and topping out at 1.8ghz

256Mb RAM upgradeable to 2gb

2 Firewire 400/800, 2 USB, ethernet, modem, speaker and headphone jacks

Superdrive (Ive drawn a tray load on it, but slot load would be better)

These specs are just ramblings, nothing technical at all so don't flame me if you think it sucks! *lol*

http://www.hansenprint.com.au/newimac.html
"The world is all that is the case"
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
post #133 of 485
Hmmm.

That's the kind of idea I had for an eMac LCD revamp. iBook folded back on hinge using desktop components.

The iMac I was hoping for a more modular approach to the AIO equation.

Bit like Lucida's design. iServe. Curved edge video box. Studio display hanging over. ie alu Pizza box and 'alu' display style.

Best of both?

Nope. Specs have to move up to 2 gig. C'mon. That speed grade is a year old plus already. (Why do Mac users have low spec expectations..?)

Lemon Bon Bon
post #134 of 485
I expect the iMac to start at 1.8GHz and top out at 2.0GHz when it's released. Having the single processor offers plenty of model differentiation from the PowerMacs.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #135 of 485
Don't care for the "barrel hinge", there's no height adjustment, which desktop users expect. I thought the other mockups showed a "double barrel hinge", which allows the screen to be raised.

The concept is right, the iMac is really a laptop machine in a desktop case.
post #136 of 485
Yeah, I agree Lemon, I think this is where to eMac should head....

and yeah, seeing we were blessed with height adjustment in the last iMac the new one should have it too..... Lucky Im not on the iMac design team at Apple! *lol*

Processor speed Im not sure about..... whats the ratio been bewteen Powermacs and iMacs (Im sure I seen this posted somewhere but am too lazy). Seeing the PMs are dual now I guess 2.ghz is not out of the question.

Anyway, thanks for not killing my mock-up too much!

B
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein
post #137 of 485
There is no reason why they can't make Airport and Bluetooth standard.

Apple started making USB and Firewire standard. Why not these? I can understand as of now not making something like a Superdrive standard, but with in a year.... should be easy.
post #138 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Tasovar
There is no reason why they can't make Airport and Bluetooth standard.

Apple started making USB and Firewire standard. Why not these? I can understand as of now not making something like a Superdrive standard, but with in a year.... should be easy.

Airport and Bluetooth transmit data through the air. A lot of places may object to your having such hardware for security reasons, or because of interference with medical/scientific devices. You don't want places like that putting "No Macs allowed" notices, do you?
post #139 of 485
post #140 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by benjamin_r
...Processor speed Im not sure about..... whats the ratio been bewteen Powermacs and iMacs (Im sure I seen this posted somewhere but am too lazy). Seeing the PMs are dual now I guess 2.ghz is not out of the question....

At one point it time the high end iMac was equil to or faster than the low end PM at any given time, the iMac just had a G3 vs. a G4 processor. I would think that if it were economically feasable the mid level iMac3 should match the low end PM in speed (single vs. dual) and the high end iMac3 the mid level PM. That may not be possible with the chages needed to the mother board and cooling requirements of the G5 and the more modern components that it will incorperate, but in my opinion that is where Apple should be moving the line to as far as price/performance goes. Get the iMac down below $1000 again and the PM down to $1599 and I think that sales of both models will greatly improve over where they were a quarter or a year ago.
post #141 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by tak1108
Here is my mock up of what I hope the next iMac is:

I know there's a better image out there, but I couldn't find it.

Haha.. You just ripped that from that japanese site..

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #142 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimzip
Haha.. You just ripped that from that japanese site..

Yes, LOL!
Er ... hopefully the PM G5 design variants are not close to the all new
iMac design in spe. The entire design seems way too technoid. iMac customers do want Elegance. Simple. And these mockups are everything but
elegant.

BTW, nobody mentioned any possible changes concerning the
KEYBOARD. Do you guys think it is quite possible that apple
builds something like the scrollwheel ala iPod into the new iMac Keyboard?
That would make great sense to all iApps.
What do you think?

my2c
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #143 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon
Sizes? 15/17/20/23/30.

Yes! The consumer model definitely needs a monitor which alone is in the 2000 - 3000 $ range. Will sell like hot cake.
post #144 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Barbara
Yes, LOL!
Er ... hopefully the PM G5 design variants are not close to the all new
iMac design in spe. The entire design seems way too technoid. iMac customers do want Elegance. Simple. And these mockups are everything but
elegant.

BTW, nobody mentioned any possible changes concerning the
KEYBOARD. Do you guys think it is quite possible that apple
builds something like the scrollwheel ala iPod into the new iMac Keyboard?
That would make great sense to all iApps.
What do you think?

my2c

I think the likelihood of the keyboard being updated with features like that is pretty low. Tacking on extra non-standard controls to a standard keyboard reeks of the PC side. You are more likely to see a two button mouse (and that will be shortly after Hell organizes its own hockey team).
post #145 of 485
How about something along the lines of eXentia?
post #146 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
How about something along the lines of eXentia?

Er ... apple customers seek elegance. This "elonex thing" is far away from beeing elegant, it is quite the opposite. I assume nobody really wants that bulk sitting right on their desk.

nice try
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #147 of 485
Cnet is reporting that the new iMac will look nothing like the current one and will a brushed aluminum finish ala PowerMac possibly similar to what lucida posted above - that's a very barebones illustration people, remember that).. No proof is offered just an "informed source". In a month we'll know and the usual gang will complain, etc.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #148 of 485
Quote:
Er ... apple customers seek elegance. This "elonex thing" is far away from beeing elegant, it is quite the opposite. I assume nobody really wants that bulk sitting right on their desk.

nice try

That's why I said "along the lines". By the way, this thing can host a 3.2 GHz P4 (their site includes up to 3.0 GHz P4). I saw this model today in person and, although a little bulky for the taste of a Mac user, it is rather nice with a very bright display. Unless the iMac3 is something radically different (and I don't know how could this happen), it seems that such designs are already tried. Now it remains to see what Apple's talent can pull out in the design sector.
post #149 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
I think the likelihood of the keyboard being updated with features like that is pretty low. Tacking on extra non-standard controls to a standard keyboard reeks of the PC side. You are more likely to see a two button mouse (and that will be shortly after Hell organizes its own hockey team).

Actually I heard not long ago that Apple is designing a two-button mouse. But we'll leave that to another thread.

Jimzip
post #150 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
here's a mock up:

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/outsider/imacg5.html

That's not bad - I imagine the plate which is supporting the monitor slides up and down to raise and lower the display, right? (maybe it slides in a telescopic manner)

I like the perforated metal theme linking it to the PowerMac. The concave curves are a little 'retro' looking, might be harder to manufacture.

Also, no built-in speakers. External speakers are better because (a) consumers expect to be able to position and replace them (the fact that the eMac and old iMac have them notwithstanding) - it's a cheap and easy upgrade, and (b) offices expect to leave them off.
post #151 of 485
Quote:

nice try

It may not be very elegant, but it DOES have some nice features and the demo movie shows a few things that I think the iMac2 can and should have done a little better:

1. Interaction is not first and foremost via a keyboard! Unlike most of the QWERTY-centric folks in these fora, most people don't like getting music and entertainment via a keyboard. The keyboard is there for most websurfing and email and that's about it. Obviously mom may do word processing and kids do homework, but as with the iPod, the spokes of the digital hub will not be tied to the keyboard anymore than necessary.

2. Touch screen: I have always hoped that Apple could engineer touchscreens very cheaply into their crt iMacs and eMacs to give them that cool "standard feature" and to make them more approachable to toddlers, etc.

3. Quick starting: I don't know if the gui in the video is MSoft, but it shows the beginning of a cool and efficient way to navigate media. I also don't know how long it takes to startup and how it moves from being turned on to the main desktop/window, but it would be nice to get to the media parts of the digital hub without waiting for the os to get set to run FCP. That is the beauty of the iPod and Palm pda - always-on and ready.

4. Relatively slim form factor. I don't like it's looks personally, and I think the current iMac lcd is far superior, but Apple didn't market it as a "media center" it marketed it as a cool version of a computer and that gave people conflicting expectations, I think. I always thought Apple should have kept the iMac name with the crt AIO, and given the iMaclcd a special "media centric name" and kept both.

Anyway, I personally don't like the fat-flat-screen look and I hope it isn't too aluminized! I don't like the perferated metal look of the angelfire image either. The iMac should be the desktop version of an iBook - inviting, not daunting. It should come in colors....they are still popular as the iPod Mini is proving...and it should be simple, but upgradeable.
post #152 of 485
I don't think the next iMac will be headless... I think it will always be an AIO. However, I think that eventually Apple will get it through their head that we need a headless low- and mid-range computer.

There have been a few mockups of how that could look, typically taking on a ShuttlePC or short PowerMac form factor. How about going for tall-and-slim, though, instead of short-and-fat? I think it might look a bit more elegant.

Here's a mega-cheap Photoshop job to show what it could look like... not a very good rendition, but it gets the point across. Vents would be along the bottom and the top to allow as much passive cooling as possible, although fans would also be required if this Mac used a G5. Note that there are two USB, one FireWire, and a headphone jack up front, with additional ports at the back. Plus, there's a vertically-mounted slot-loading drive.

I'm not sure if the dimensions of this thing are quite right... it would probably have to be a bit thicker, but hopefully not by much. I'm imagining it being built along the lines of a 17" PowerBook, but with full-size desktop components, no battery or screen (duh), an upgradeable video card (hopefully), and no PCI slots. It could probably be made fairly cheaply, but still have a heckuva lot more style than your typical PC.

So? Whaddaya think?
post #153 of 485
Yeah, that picture looks pretty thin. It's more like a powerbook with out a flip up screen. Neat concept, space saving, but not very upgradable.
Ah yes, now I can breath!

Ah yes, now I can breath!

post #154 of 485
Quote:
Yeah, that picture looks pretty thin. It's more like a powerbook with out a flip up screen. Neat concept, space saving, but not very upgradable.

Well, doubling the width wouldn't make it look horrible or anything. And it's not meant to be PowerMac-upgradeable... just more than iMac-upgradeable. Upgrade the RAM, maybe upgrade the internal hard drive, and (wishful thinking, probably) upgrade the graphics card. No PCI or anything.

As for access to the internals, the whole side can pop off, like the PM G5, or fold down like the PM G4. Everything would be laid out for you like in a PowerMac, but in vertical orientations, and with plenty of space for air to flow through.
post #155 of 485
Here's something slightly thicker... not quite as nice looking, but it's just a quickie mockup.

post #156 of 485
TrevorD:

I like that, although I think the ports would all be on the back-- maybe the bottom. Probably on the back, though, because it would be much cleaner looking.
post #157 of 485
Trevor D it looks sweet but apple needs more space and venilation, because it is housing a G5.
post #158 of 485
Not mine

post #159 of 485
More Doodles...

post #160 of 485
The new iMac should have an integrated iPod dock, adjustable for regular iPods or mini's. That would fit well with the "home on the pod" rumors.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here