or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here - Page 6

post #201 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by jason1969
Where are these reports coming from? This iMac HAS to be the biggest secret ever kept by apple. I mean if we know it's a G5 and we know we will see one in a month, there MUST be pictures of this thing nicely lit against a white background!!! Come on Insiders, Steves in the hospital....Let loose with the pictures already!!

CNet had an article a few days ago that was widely reprinted on the web. The author of the piece said that the new iMac G5 was fairly "simple looking".

The iMac G5 is not the "biggest secret ever kept by Apple" in any way. The BIGGEST secret was the original Biondi Blue iMac. When introduced at MacWorld it turned out that most employees at Apple werre unaware of the product at all. It was as much a surprise to them as the rest of us.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #202 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Outsider
Had a family emergency so i was in the ER for most of the night. it did give me some time to think though! Lets see what happens tonight.

Uhh! Hopefully everything is fine so far.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #203 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
...The author of the piece said that the new iMac G5 was fairly "simple looking"...

...which provides plenty of room to speculate. My word is on "Simplicity". I love this word, one of my favorite english words. (oh...becoming OT)

Quote:
Quote:
... The BIGGEST secret was the original Bondi Blue iMac. When introduced at MacWorld it turned out that most employees at Apple werre unaware of the product at all. It was as much a surprise to them as the rest of us.

Indeed. The Introduction of the iMac was a BIG stroke which had a strong impact in any IT field. Did i mentioned colorized printers?
The Bondi was pure Inspiration, effective, so vivid, so compelling.
But nooooow, time is different, - which doesn't mean apple won't release
something ... which i wouldn't buy INSTANTLY.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #204 of 485
I remember watching MW on the internet as Steve introduced the iMac and said, "It looks like it came from outer space (or another world)", don't remember which. I'd love to see that video again.
post #205 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by macinJosh

I was just thinkin' it's not about the enclosure, it's about the media experience. Good swivel speakers, left and right, and a tilting display at center. Simple pillar supports beneath and behind.

How to cool it? Dunno. Take it up north.

That looks pretty kewl to me but somehow I think it'll be totally different
Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind
Lose your dreams and you may lose your mind
post #206 of 485
Has anyone posted this mockup, found on SpyMac
I've been using apple since 1987, and wouldn't even touch a WinBox if it wasn't part of my job to support them.

G4 Cube | G4 iBook | G4 eMac | G5 iMac | Intel iMac | Alum MacBook Pro | 1G iPhone | i...
I've been using apple since 1987, and wouldn't even touch a WinBox if it wasn't part of my job to support them.

G4 Cube | G4 iBook | G4 eMac | G5 iMac | Intel iMac | Alum MacBook Pro | 1G iPhone | i...
post #207 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by k_munic
I like this one:

http://www.mackompass.de/index.php?o...tpage&Itemid=1

and I'm sure:
all wireless: wireless keyboard/mouse, wireless LAN (Airport express included), maybe a "use TV screen for monitoring" Option (no, Steve, don't worry, it is not television with a Mac, it is just for watching iPhoto and controlling iTunes)

That is the best so far, though the ThinkSecret does have an unrealistic coolness about it. The colors would be great as long as they didn't "make" every reseller have to buy all colors, as before. If that had an AIO option, I would vote it best of show.

It would be really great if all Macs had easy to install slots for Airport Extreme and Express cards....make upgrades plug and play.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #208 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
That is the best so far, though the ThinkSecret does have an unrealistic coolness about it. The colors would be great as long as they didn't "make" every reseller have to buy all colors, as before. If that had an AIO option, I would vote it best of show.

It would be really great if all Macs had easy to install slots for Airport Extreme and Express cards....make upgrades plug and play.

I second that. Well enough said, time will tell

Finally, I think there will be an ALU MAC (meeting the miniPods fashion) without monitor, perhaps within cube formfactor. I go for that now.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #209 of 485
y'all don't want an iMac.

you want apple to bring back the cube and call it iMac.
iPatch

pirating for the rest of us
iPatch

pirating for the rest of us
post #210 of 485
This thread has had some interesting and appealing mockups.

My take though is that the iMac return to what it once was in most ways:

- It used to be very close in terms of processor performance and it only differed in that it had single vs. dual CPUs. I think it will have that again with the new model.

- It used to be rugged and simple. I think that is the direction they are going with the new one. No articulated arms or enclosure that demands a custom motherboard shapes which can not be shared easily.

I also believe that with the announcement of Tiger you will see a decent (not bleeding edge but more than adequate) video chipset in there.

It will also unquestionably be AIO again. iMac == AIO. Any non-AIO is simply not an iMac.

I would like to see an additonal desktop (those colored cubes looked great) but it probably isn't coming soon. Just a few more weeks and we'll all know for certain what the future holds.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #211 of 485
Although the Cubes look nice in colors, Apple's done that and they won't do it again. Also they are much too big in the rendering. As stated, the iMac is AIO. Funny, we're less then 30 days away from the the unveiling and there's still no info - either photos or specs. Not like the old days when info leaking like a sieve. Perhaps it's better so that the surprise will be more dramatic.
post #212 of 485
Quote:
... no info - either photos or specs. Not like the old days when info leaking like a sieve...

...and apple even haven't announced an announcment yet with certain specs dropping heck, time is changing, though...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #213 of 485
come on pscates!
post #214 of 485
I really like the 'Mac Kompass' mockup.. They look really cool, though they probably wouldn't be that large.. (On second thoughts, maybe the heat sink is the cause of the largeness..)

I can't wait until next month.. I don't want a leak either, it's so much nicer to be surprised by the product than to know all along what will be unveiled.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #215 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimzip
I really like the 'Mac Kompass' mockup. ...

Yeah, very much talent

Quote:
Quote:
I don't want a leak either, it's so much nicer to be surprised by the product than to know all along what will be unveiled.
Jimzip

"Hm, i awfully hate to be drained, said the guy, and visited his vampire friend."

PS: You do enjoy AI for all their ... er ... sources, don't you?
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #216 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
It will also unquestionably be AIO again. iMac == AIO. Any non-AIO is simply not an iMac.

Says who? Who died and left you chief of product development?

You may be right...but you never know. In any case, big know-it-all sweeping statements like that often come back to haunt you.

I should know.
post #217 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Says who? Who died and left you chief of product development?

You may be right...but you never know. In any case, big know-it-all sweeping statements like that often come back to haunt you.

I should know.

I will be thrilled to be wrong, but just you watch
post #218 of 485
Hey, if they did make an alu cube, they could have an aftermarket in different colored shells. It's simple enough to pull the core and swap it, anyone could do it, it takes just seconds. Retailers wouldn't have to stock all the colors in complete units, just shells.

However, I agree with Bancho. The Cube was a shrunken tower, not a desktop laptop like the iMac. Whether the Cube comes back or not (and I think it should), it won't be called the iMac.
post #219 of 485
Quote:
Although the Cubes look nice in colors, Apple's done that and they won't do it again. Also they are much too big in the rendering. As stated, the iMac is AIO. Funny, we're less then 30 days away from the the unveiling and there's still no info - either photos or specs. Not like the old days when info leaking like a sieve. Perhaps it's better so that the surprise will be more dramatic.

Isn't it UBELIEVABLE that TWICE now, Apple has not been able to trust otherwise very intrusted magazines with premade interviews and secret info about forthcomming products, without them accidently leaving them ready for publishing online SO FOOLISHLY THINKING WE WON'T BE WATCHING THEM HO HO HO what a laugh! That would be like leaving your Jaguar convertible in bronx with the keys in.....
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
post #220 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Zab The Fab
Isn't it UBELIEVABLE that TWICE now, Apple has not been able to trust otherwise very intrusted magazines with premade interviews and secret info about forthcomming products, without them accidently leaving them ready for publishing online SO FOOLISHLY THINKING WE WON'T BE WATCHING THEM HO HO HO what a laugh! That would be like leaving your Jaguar convertible in bronx with the keys in.....

Ummm....I don't think the iPod thing was an accident. I mean, they said, "unconventional" medium for announcing, and online magazine articles certainly were unconventional. What's the other time you're thinking of?
You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he takes a shower, he always puts a towel around his waist. I mean... what is that about? ~Chandler Bing
You know what's weird? Donald Duck never wore pants. But whenever he takes a shower, he always puts a towel around his waist. I mean... what is that about? ~Chandler Bing
post #221 of 485
glassblowerscat-the iMAC as we now know it was prematurely released by Time magazine (Canada edition, if I remember correctly). It was only by half a day or so, but it was all over the Apple sites in no time and killed the surprise of Steve's MWSF keynote.
post #222 of 485
Anyone have a good mockup of the rumored iMac that Think Secret is reporting on?

post #223 of 485
post #224 of 485
Good job lucida!

This mockup takes all the rumors and lumps them together.

I wonder what the iMac is telling its user? "You've got mail" or "You really shouldn't have tried to play Doom 3 at its highest settings!"

post #225 of 485
Sorry, that mock up ignores most of the rumors. There will be no large CPU casing holding up the Screen as the current iMac does. What we'll be getting based on several reports is a very slim computer screen holding most of the components - including the speakers. Speculation aside, it should be interesting.
post #226 of 485
Quote:
... is a very slim computer screen holding most of the components - including the speakers. ...

See trevord's on page 4 of this thread.
post #227 of 485
My take. Proto 1.

post #228 of 485
That's a very nice mock up. I think the general configuration is probably going to be as you have made it. The base is a little too "bold" and clunky. Apple will have a much thinner and sexier one. Yours, while very nice, is a little too "IBMish." Nevertheless, a great job! Congrats.
post #229 of 485
Quote:
That's a very nice mock up. I think the general configuration is probably going to be as you have made it. The base is a little too "bold" and clunky. Apple will have a much thinner and sexier one. Yours, while very nice, is a little too "IBMish." Nevertheless, a great job! Congrats.

Thanks . Here is a version 1.5.

post #230 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by nsousansousa

Very nice, but would a base like that really support the weight of a full system behind the screen and be completely stable?

Also... where's the ports and superdrive? I can't find them :s
post #231 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Maffrew
Very nice, but would a base like that really support the weight of a full system behind the screen and be completely stable?

Also... where's the ports and superdrive? I can't find them :s

Thanks.

Well. I think, being aluminum, the base could stand the weight . Remember that the vertical part of the stand could have all the major motherboard components. The screen part would have the DVD drive and speakers whicjh would be the heaviest part of the setup.I will post a pic soon.

The ports and Superdrive will appear soon. I am sorry but this is only the first mockup. I see the DVD popping out from the top . What do you think ?
post #232 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by nsousansousa

Nice mockup. I have a few comments though.

The thickness of your mockup is not much more than the new aluminum displays. I would expect a bit thicker (not certain how much but there is a G5 in there ).

The base. It would seem more logical and less expensive to use the same (or very similar) base as the aluminum displays. They seem to have more balance and hinging the main unit at its halfway point on the back would mean less change of balance of the entire unit and greater stability.

To be honest, a somewhat thicker version of the aluminum displays as they exist now would be great and probably less expense than reinventing a whole enclosure. It could be made about 50% thicker and have the speakers downward firing to reflect off the work surface so not visible grilles (on the front) would be necessary. The ports for the aluminum displays are on the back and that seems satisfactory for the most part. You'd still have the keyboard ports for more frequently connected/disconnected devices.

Sorry for all the comment tagged to your mockup. I guess it's just jealousy on my part because I lack the talent to create such mockups. Bastards...
post #233 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
Nice mockup. I have a few comments though.

The thickness of your mockup is not much more than the new aluminum displays. I would expect a bit thicker (not certain how much but there is a G5 in there ).

The base. It would seem more logical and less expensive to use the same (or very similar) base as the aluminum displays. They seem to have more balance and hinging the main unit at its halfway point on the back would mean less change of balance of the entire unit and greater stability.

To be honest, a somewhat thicker version of the aluminum displays as they exist now would be great and probably less expense than reinventing a whole enclosure. It could be made about 50% thicker and have the speakers downward firing to reflect off the work surface so not visible grilles (on the front) would be necessary. The ports for the aluminum displays are on the back and that seems satisfactory for the most part. You'd still have the keyboard ports for more frequently connected/disconnected devices.

Sorry for all the comment tagged to your mockup. I guess it's just jealousy on my part because I lack the talent to create such mockups. Bastards...

Thickness is a subjective matter ;-) No.. seriously... I think it's the perspective that makes it look thinner.

Regarding the base, I must confess I am not particularly fond of the new display base. I think it has to do with the pyramid looking view from the front. I don't know...
Also I was thinking in the dreaded Sony VAIO design that Think Secret says to have similarities with the new iMac. I think the VAIO is butt ugly, so I tried to give it a nicer look.

The bezel design is to intentionally depart from the new Apple displays design. I like them, (except for the ugly pyramid base ;-)) The reasoning is that I really think the iMac is a beast of its own. Its design has to be a unique one.
Also there is a iPod mini subliminal resemblance.
I really like your speaker positioning suggestion. I think it´s very clever.
Very Apple like. Hmmmm...

Ports and Superdrive will appear soon, as well as a surprise...If I have the time.

Thanks and regards from
The sketching bastard. :-)

PS : This is the 20 inch version and, yes, the Apple logo on the back is off-centered.
post #234 of 485
Making the base into a tripod design would take care of support problems giving a wider but still slimmer look. This is kinda fun! A great start-off point. Apple hasn't asked the image to be removed so we're not there yet! Keep it up.
post #235 of 485
Quote:
Making the base into a tripod design would take care of support problems giving a wider but still slimmer look. This is kinda fun! A great start-off point. Apple hasn't asked the image to be removed so we're not there yet! Keep it up.

Ok .
Let's vote for it.

Red - The straight elongated.
Green- The "chicken foot" .
Blue- The "Batman".

LOL !

post #236 of 485
I think the vertical support behind the screen would be higher so the screen could be raised and lower as well as titled. Surprise? You mean a dock for an iPod?
post #237 of 485
Quote:
I think the vertical support behind the screen would be higher so the screen could be raised and lower as well as titled. Surprise? You mean a dock for an iPod?

You're right. It's too short the way it is now. And It wouldn't enclose that many components.

Hmmmm. Are you physic ?

OK. TWO surprises ...LOL.
post #238 of 485
Quote:

Agreed, mounting the support higher on the back improves stability and allows a greater range of tilt up or down. I would use that as a starting point and reshape it if need be. To be honest the support will not be the focus of atttention when the machine is being used so it would be more important that is serves its function and its aesthetics would be secondary (but not ignored of course ).
post #239 of 485
I need to use my spell check! Sorry for the misspelling on my post above.
post #240 of 485
nsousansousa,

Thanks for keeping this thread fun and on track.

I am thinking that the iPod dock surprise you allude to will dictate the base to move a little bit to the front side of the screen.

Are you thinking that the optical drive is located in the screen or the base, possibly with the iPod dock?

In any case, it is great seeing some images that start to remove the horrors of that Sony nightmare.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here