or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here - Page 8

post #281 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Same problem there too \ . But once you taste real ergonomics, like in the iMac FP, it is difficult to go back again.

What do you need to adjust? It's a screen. I have PowerMac there is no adjustment. It's right in front of you. Tell me, how often do you adjust your TV?
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #282 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by SpcMs
was the original iMac adjustable?

Only slightly unless you got the aftermarket stand for it. The iMac had only the small foot adjustment otherwise.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #283 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
What do you need to adjust? It's a screen. I have PowerMac there is no adjustment. It's right in front of you. Tell me, how often do you adjust your TV?

I'm a web developer, and when clients come in, it is very nice to be able to adjust the monitor to face the client, so they don't have to crane their head.

Yes, in a perfect world, you would have two monitors, with one facing the client. But, can't afford that yet.
post #284 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Chromeus
updated a tad
newest imac update
let me know what you guys think

I concur with jwri004. Goodbye nuts
post #285 of 485
I have to agree with PB. The fact is that Apple moved the iMac past its original design. The same design that the eMac took over.

The innovation of design must move forward. I believe that the eMac will take a design closer to the one at MacKompass, since it has retained the 'componets behind the screen' design.

The iMac has moved forward. It is still an AIO, but the componets are no longer directly behind the screen. It is more ergonomical, yes, and I believe that it will stay that way.

We all know that the iMac is being redesigned. eMacs are low in the channel, too, due to there being no iMacs to sell. This has to be for a reason.

I think everything's happening in Europe this year, guys!!
I've been using apple since 1987, and wouldn't even touch a WinBox if it wasn't part of my job to support them.

G4 Cube | G4 iBook | G4 eMac | G5 iMac | Intel iMac | Alum MacBook Pro | 1G iPhone | i...
I've been using apple since 1987, and wouldn't even touch a WinBox if it wasn't part of my job to support them.

G4 Cube | G4 iBook | G4 eMac | G5 iMac | Intel iMac | Alum MacBook Pro | 1G iPhone | i...
post #286 of 485
That Macompass design, while "sexy" would be very unstable on a desktop. It wouldn't take much to tip it over. It also doesn't seem to allow for a tilt stand, which you can purchase for the eMac. An eMac re-design would never look like that. The current eMac is easy to manufacture compared to the current iMac (and next generation no doubt) and would need to remain that way to keep the price down. Ease of manufacture, means plenty of room for assembly within and not the kind of tight spaces that design would require.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #287 of 485
I hate the Macompass design to be honest. It looks dainty and fragile. Also I think whoever designed it has the depth off. It does not seem to have the space required to enclose a HDD, optical drive, processor and cooling.
post #288 of 485
I see the future of personal compting.

May I present you with the hip-e personal compter.

http://www.hip-e.com/index.do

The computer the coolest of cool teeny poppers will own this year.

Come on Apple! Whatcha waiting for!
post #289 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by msantti
I see the future of personal compting.

May I present you with the hip-e personal compter.

http://www.hip-e.com/index.do

The computer the coolest of cool teeny poppers will own this year.

Come on Apple! Whatcha waiting for!

Well, it shares all the shortcomings of the alleged next generation iMac.

No upgradeability beyond memory. 1.5GHz Pentium M, AIO, no mention of specific graphics so I imagine something integrated or FX5200 class chip, and $1699 price.

If that is the competition then I'll take the iMac in a heartbeat.

On an aesthetic note, I would prefer to have my balls pounded flat with a wooden mallet than use that thing.
post #290 of 485
Did this in Illustrator CS, using the new 3D tools. It's a tMac!__

This is an explanation of the dual-action tilt/swivel cam I'm imagining (inspired by a trailer hitch I saw)

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/pivot.gif

Then, earlier today, I went back to the rear 3D drawing above, scooped this, beveled that, deepened this, etc.

Yes, the "guts" are housed in the vertical "slab" block behind the display (minus the optical drive, which is up front of course, along with a power button, USB, FireWire and maybe a headphone jack).

I did it mainly to illustrate that Think Secret's story of the "components mounted on the rear of the display" doesn't necessarily have to mean they're "glommed on", but rather could be placed perpendicular to the display, making for a nice "T"-shaped base (as viewed from above).

Anyway...
post #291 of 485
I mean no disrespect pscates, but that thing is butt ugly.

[edit} you edited that while I was posting. The new one isn't as bad.
I still think it's less than a desirable choice for Apple though.
onlooker

onlooker

post #292 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
I mean no disrespect pscates, but that thing is butt ugly.

[edit} you edited that while I was posting. The new one isn't as bad.
I still think it's less than a desirable choice for Apple though.

Don't like that tMac \

The slab at the back would take up far too much deskspace, it looks as deep at the back as a CRT \
post #293 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
Did this in Illustrator CS, using the new 3D tools. It's a tMac!__

This is an explanation of the dual-action tilt/swivel cam I'm imagining (inspired by a trailer hitch I saw)

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/pivot.gif

Then, earlier today, I went back to the rear 3D drawing above, scooped this, beveled that, deepened this, etc.

Yes, the "guts" are housed in the vertical "slab" block behind the display (minus the optical drive, which is up front of course, along with a power button, USB, FireWire and maybe a headphone jack).

I did it mainly to illustrate that Think Secret's story of the "components mounted on the rear of the display" doesn't necessarily have to mean they're "glommed on", but rather could be placed perpendicular to the display, making for a nice "T"-shaped base (as viewed from above).

Anyway...

I admire your artistic skill, but I don't like that design either. It's like an eMac on Atkins
post #294 of 485
Quote:
I did it mainly to illustrate that Think Secret's story of the "components mounted on the rear of the display" doesn't necessarily have to mean they're "glommed on"...

More that than anything...and to show an idea for screen mobility, inspired by the new Cinema Displays, but taken a step further (some side-to-side swivel action).

Yeah, it might pooch out the back some...but it's not anywhere near as deep as a 20" CRT would be. Knock it off.

And it's one 3-4" wide slab, which the user never even sees. Unless someone is just going to sit beside it all day and stare at the side and lament how "far back it goes", who cares? It's not as deep as an eMac, even.

eMac on Atkins? Nice.

I kinda like it, particularly the second "scooped" version. It grew on me. In any case, I'd rather see that approach rather than an ugly thickening of an LCD by piggyback everything onto the back of it. At that point, why bother? A 4-5" deep LCD that weighs 20lbs.? No thanks! Besides, doesn't that go against everything Steve himself said in the keynote unveiling the iMac G4?

post #295 of 485
I like it, it reminds me of the original iMac in many ways.
post #296 of 485
Quote:

As you have it, the display is mounted rather than the components. I do like it, though.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #297 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by NittanyLionTosh
I like it

That's hardly a ringing endorsement, considering your behavior lately.

In fact, now people are REALLY gonna pile on and say they hate it just because you like it.

Thanks, Messiahtosh. Puddinghead.

post #298 of 485
Quote:
More that than anything...and to show an idea for screen mobility, inspired by the new Cinema Displays, but taken a step further (some side-to-side swivel action).

Yeah, it might pooch out the back some...but it's not anywhere near as deep as a 20" CRT would be. Knock it off.

And it's one 3-4" wide slab, which the user never even sees. Unless someone is just going to sit beside it all day and stare at the side and lament how "far back it goes", who cares? It's not as deep as an eMac, even.

eMac on Atkins? Nice.

I kinda like it, particularly the second "scooped" version. It grew on me. In any case, I'd rather see that approach rather than an ugly thickening of an LCD by piggyback everything onto the back of it. At that point, why bother? A 4-5" deep LCD that weighs 20lbs.? No thanks! Besides, doesn't that go against everything Steve himself said in the keynote unveiling the iMac G4?

No offense intended at all. I'm just not a fan of having the space wasted out back. On a positive note, it would help assure plenty of breathing room to keep the machine cool.
post #299 of 485

No offense. I'm not thin-skinned. I've been doing this kind of stuff for years and unless someone is just being a drive-by, rude ass for no reason, honest, thoughtful criticism doesn't bother me at all.

Builds character...

But you're right: the G5 might dictate a lot of the design stuff because of those cooling issues. This thing might not be able to be as slim and sleek as we'd all like, because of fans or ventilation needs.

post #300 of 485
Quote:

Anyway...

I like the concept. What if the back "slab" was a sculpted arch that curved up and tapered to a point, and that point has a single swivel mount centered on the back of the monitor? Then your monitor can tilt up, down, sideways, push on one corner and it moves in that direction, etc... The arm of the last iMac (the expensive component) is is essentially replaced with a one-piece, fixed component with a pivot point at its terminnus, and perhaps overall manufacturing costs are lowered while maintaining a functioal degree of adjustability?

The drive would be horizontal in the base, so it would remain "true to itself."

It doesn't match the "computer on the back of the monitor" look we've been told to expect, but I think it could make for an elegant and functional computer.
post #301 of 485
Which is why I like my concept, not just because it looks cool, it would allow for proper components and would be able to be cooled. The screen retains all of the ergonomics as the current iMac, with even more rotational ability. I don't see what's wrong with it.

It'd be awesome for someone with Indesign skill to take my TriMac concept and add an Apple-like sheen to it.
post #302 of 485
InDesign?
post #303 of 485
Quote:

This offers a couple of things the other design concepts lack-- swivel-ability and most of all, stability. That would be much harder to knock over than most of the things mocked up so far. Most likely, everyone is going to be off-base to some degree, but I like the thinking behind that one.

CV

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #304 of 485
Quote:
InDesign?

Illustrator, sorry.
post #305 of 485
guess no one likes this one

Damit suddenly none of my images will post it just spits out the url like this

wtf!!

[IMG]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PQDtAqgRghMDtejE8iuYV0UoCpdaGjYdYKYPQnUYZYr0DEa*U LzvKGcG300dOjQNaUsIJG!Pp52fC4IM8AbUxFHI4i0hpdNy/imac0.jpg?dc=4675485401399683266[/IMG]
I am a computer Bi
I am a computer Bi
post #306 of 485
post #307 of 485
ok lets try this again

here is my design based on current apple trends
and it would be made of the new material apple announced
I am a computer Bi
I am a computer Bi
post #308 of 485
uhhhh,

That Sony thing is suddenly starting to look good.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #309 of 485
Aaaaaaghhhhh......! Nooooooooooooo...............!

Er, sorry, I think I just prolapsed a minor organ.
post #310 of 485
here is another one that i thought of real quick
the reason that it is all in the back is because its also a portable notepad computer aswell and based on the already award winning design of the ipod
just alot bigger and dockable with the keyboard mouse and speakers or you can pluck it out of its dock and use a stylus to move to mouse around
this would be gound breaking for apple and what a way to celebrate the 20th year
I am a computer Bi
I am a computer Bi
post #311 of 485
this will give you a size to go by
I am a computer Bi
I am a computer Bi
post #312 of 485
Now that one is good. Can't see it happening as the PM people would cry foul!
post #313 of 485
post #314 of 485
thanks for the comments but what are PM people?

Hi Paul
I am a computer Bi
I am a computer Bi
post #315 of 485
ps are you using illustrator cs?

Photoshop here
I am a computer Bi
I am a computer Bi
post #316 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by Chromeus
here is another one that i thought of real quick
the reason that it is all in the back is because its also a portable notepad computer aswell and based on the already award winning design of the ipod
just alot bigger and dockable with the keyboard mouse and speakers or you can pluck it out of its dock and use a stylus to move to mouse around
this would be gound breaking for apple and what a way to celebrate the 20th year

Please don't stop now! We need a CD/DVD drive in the "dock" etc.

This is what I was thinking about in the thread I started, thank you for making my dreams visual

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...light=imonitor
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
twitter and facebook is your life, MyAppleSpace is your iLife
post #317 of 485
i suppose you could feed the cd-dvd through the side or on top like a toaster?? what do you think
Zab
I am a computer Bi
I am a computer Bi
post #318 of 485
like this
I am a computer Bi
I am a computer Bi
post #319 of 485
The idea of duplicating the iPod/Dock relationship for a desktop computer is a very good one, (especially from a marketing viewpoint) but a 20" portable tablet? I don't think so.

12" max for a tablet which would make it a separate product, not the new iMac.

P.S. You have a typo in your mockup.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
post #320 of 485
The mockup is cute, but there are several errors.

First of all, it's "iMac" not "Imac".
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here