or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here - Page 10

post #361 of 485
In terms of increaese usability does anyone out there want a tablet-esque, type of interface? Personally I like the idea but so many people have spoken out against Apple making a tablet. Does it make it more appealing to have a dock for your keyboard and Hard Drive interface. what about a stylus? Prople don't seem to think that would work well for thier needs either. What's the general consensus on such innovations?
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #362 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by spliff monkey
In terms of increaese usability does anyone out there want a tablet-esque, type of interface? Personally I like the idea but so many people have spoken out against Apple making a tablet. Does it make it more appealing to have a dock for your keyboard and Hard Drive interface. what about a stylus? Prople don't seem to think that would work well for thier needs either. What's the general consensus on such innovations?

I've used pure tablets before and they excel in a few areas and are a serious compromise in many others. Size/weight is also an important consideration. I think the idea of a smallish tablet with 8" screen is probably close to ideal for most tablet based tasks. Any bigger than 10" - 12" at most and you wind up needing to drag your arm all over creation to interface with the device.

The cost of hardware is still a nasty hurdle too so you don't want to try to push the cost of a 17" high resolution digitizer down someones throat for general computing purposes. These devices also require batteries to function.

To think that the iMac will be superseded by a tablet is forward thining but perhaps *too* forward thinking. It is good to consider the possiblities and speculate though.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #363 of 485

Where my mind took me. We've been posting aesthetics and specs, but not addressing the challenges that the Apple design team will say existed in integrating the digital hub into our lives.

This doesn't get us there, but it was inspired by the thought.
The shortest distance between two points is NO DISTANCE.
post #364 of 485
Very cool man.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
People that are passionate about what they do, truly believe in their good cause, have a clear vision and understanding of what they want, those people are heroes.
post #365 of 485
What is the font you are using?
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #366 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by kcmac
What is the font you are using?

Linotype FeltPen
post #367 of 485
Thanks.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #368 of 485
Quote:
Which is worse?

Okay, you got me by the curly/whirlys there...

spliff monkey, PSCates is not a 'jerk'. He's one of Appleinsider's elderstatesmen... No need for name calling, eh?

As for your comments. I think Chromeus' xPod Mac dock/tablet is fantastic. But...as has been said, perhaps a little beyond this iMac revision.

I think we could well see the 20th Anniversary iMac ala 25 years Anniversary repackaged in white etc.

Design cues from that, x-serve, Alu displays perhaps? Will there be a headless component that splits the motherboard, cd rom etc?

I think we'll just get a thicker Alu display myself. The iMac 2 was all about the computer 'disappearing' so to make it disappear behind the display seems a natural given.

Speaking of which, I saw the 20 inch alu display for the first time the other day - gorgeous, no GORGEOUS!!!

I think alu is the way to go for the new iMac.

...and having held an alu iPod mini? GORGEOUS.

THIS IS THE NEW MATERIAL! I think the new iMac may have it. Hell if the consumer iPod mini is alu...why not iMac G5.

Apple has to show they are serious about the iMac again.

It should look serious not quirky.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #369 of 485
Pscates, can you do a mockup of the iMac concept I proposed?
post #370 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by geobe
Pscates, can you do a mockup of the iMac concept I proposed?

It's gonna cost you. But for $40 you can get a copy of "Illustrator for dummies" and do it yourself
post #371 of 485
I saw this picture on spy mac yesterday.

all I can say wow. Love the shape, stable, small, oh yea it looks great too. I hope apple has something like this in the oven.
"The only second chance you get in life is the chance to make the same mistake twice"
"The only second chance you get in life is the chance to make the same mistake twice"
post #372 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra48
I saw this picture on spy mac yesterday.

all I can say wow. Love the shape, stable, small, oh yea it looks great too. I hope apple has something like this in the oven.

It's just me, or you missed some earlier posts in this thread?
post #373 of 485
That thing is ugly, I can't understand the attraction that people have to it. Looks like a pregoMac.

Graphically, well done....the design...not so much.

And yes, everyone has seen that mock up by now.
post #374 of 485
I can't say that the 'Spymac' pic does it for me. I don't think the design is forward looking enough. Clean, white, elegant, pretty.

There's something awkward about it.

Lemon Bon Bon
post #375 of 485
It doesn't seem to have any adjustability at all and the proportions seem to be way off considering that little bulge out back needs to house HDD, optical, G5 and adequate cooling. I don't really care for the dainty, fragile look of it either.
post #376 of 485
post #377 of 485
Emac G5:

post #378 of 485
Dont know why people bother...
post #379 of 485
It's no bother.
post #380 of 485
Nice nsousansousa.

Like your new idea for the iMac. The forward folding hinge with the optical drive on top and the processor on the bottom is small and compact. Fun to look at and think about.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #381 of 485
very nice indeed

this is my fav
I am a computer Bi
I am a computer Bi
post #382 of 485
Anyone seen this one yet?

Article with the picture has a guy saying he saw the iMac at the Olympics.

Sounds odd but it is another fun design.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #383 of 485

This may be the closest guess yet on what the iMac will be as it is "simple" in design as had been described on one site.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #384 of 485
Wow... that is messed up... I made a post recently saying how all the new Mac designs was based on "BENT" aluminum... and this is EXACTLY the shape I envisioned... but I envisioned this side ways.

I believe this is correct.

I think the base would look better if it was designed similarly to the old apple cube... where clear plastic extends down following th eshape of the Imac.

But I don't know how you would adjust the backward forward tilt adjustment.... or if you would have to.
post #385 of 485
I like the simplicity. It looks like it could be fairly easy to manufacture.

How do you think the ports would work? Do you think they might use some mega combo cable like on the new screens so the real connections could be made farther from the base?

Wireless keyboard and mouse?

How would you open the case for adding Ram, airport card? Maybe a slot from the opposite side for the optical drive?

If it is a clear case, do you think they would use the mood ring lights?

Doesn't look like the screen would be adjustable.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #386 of 485
Quote:
How would you open the case for adding Ram, airport card? Maybe a slot from the opposite side for the optical drive?

Imagine it like the Ipod mini design... where you could slide out the internals of the iMac... also like the old Cube.

But with this.. maybe the monitor and the body of the Imac would be like the flash hotshoe of a prefessional camera -- you slide the entire aluminum piece away from the monitor -- which is molded into the external plastic piece.

So think of the entire plastic case as being the monitor... and the entire aluminum piece as the computer... so the cumputer actually slides into the monitor.
post #387 of 485
This is only a guess on the general look. Obviously the details will be there for whatever you need to do. Take it for what it is a design excercise and not as the final product.....
post #388 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
This is only a guess on the general look. Obviously the details will be there for whatever you need to do. Take it for what it is a design excercise and not as the final product.....

No doubt.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #389 of 485
I did find the article amusing about the person seeing the iMac at the Olympics. With the press people being fairly acquainted with the Mac, this would have been noticed and reported very quickly in some fashion.

It does make for a good story on the creation of this artist's idea however.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #390 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by kcmac
I did find the article amusing about the person seeing the iMac at the Olympics. With the press people being fairly acquainted with the Mac, this would have been noticed and reported very quickly in some fashion.

It does make for a good story on the creation of this artist's idea however.

Stranger things have happened.

Remember the story of that Osmond brother saying that Jack Osborne had a 40 gig Ipod long long before they ever came out?

It actually seems kind of logical when you look at it that way... Jack Osbourne having a 40 GB Ipod first... and this Chinese buisiness man having a new G5 iMac...

Doesn't that kind of make sense?
post #391 of 485
Don't know about that but this is the best one I've seen yet.

I'm wondering with a design like this, if the next version of the eMac could be the headless wonder.

This simple design wouldn't appear to cost as much to make as the current/extinct iMac but it would probably still be above the price range of what the education market would be looking for. It would appear to be sturdier than the last version however so maybe some would go for it. Some did buy the current model after all.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #392 of 485
oops.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

iPad2 16 GB Wifi

post #393 of 485
I'm surprised Yao Ming doesn't have one at the Olympic village. I like the basic design a lot. Hopefully, Apple will ask the image to be removed and then we'll know it's close!
post #394 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by lucida
Emac G5

Looks nice and pretty much the same as the eMac G4 which is perfect. I'm a big fan of the eMac.
post #395 of 485
Does anyone else think that it would be more logical to have the slot drive on the bottom in the front .. right underneath the screen?

That way they wouldn't have to put the drive on its side.. and the shape of the iMac would make it easy to put it there.
post #396 of 485
One thing I'm not totally sold on are slot-loading CD/DVD drives. They work fine in the car and such places but I prefer tray loading drives. Slot loading drives can't take 3-inch cds or cd-cards and I've had bad experiences with them. Once, my iPod software CD got stuck inside the PowerBook and I had to take the machine to a repair centre. I like the tray on the eMac. I wish the iMac went back to tray based cd drives but I don't think it'll happen.
post #397 of 485
I think well see the screen and cpu as seperate pieces, yet fused together in some way for ease of manufacture. This way they can accommodate 17 and 20 inch screens without completely seperate housings for the entire machine.
post #398 of 485
Quote:
Originally posted by ArticulatedArm
Does anyone else think that it would be more logical to have the slot drive on the bottom in the front .. right underneath the screen?

That way they would have to put the drive on its side.. and the shape of the iMac would make it easy to put it there.

I think it's better on the side because of the shape of the machine. If this computer is indeed like the Vaio W series, then you'll want the screen to take up the mayority of the front side of the unit.

I salivate at those Vaios W (if only they didn't have Windows on them).
post #399 of 485
Here is another design by the same guy... I see it being like a combination of this and the one posted most recently --

post #400 of 485
Can you put a G5 directly behind, or attached directly to the back of an LCD though? I think there is something wrong with these designs. That is just going to heat up eventually isn't it? I know so many users that never turn their Mac's off. There is something just not right.

I don't know. I'm starting to wonder about the credibility of the TS source you guy's are relying on. What ever happened to the old saying: never believe a rumor until SJ walks it out on stage?
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here