or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Who's going to buy the G5 iMac?

Who's going to buy the G5 iMac?

post #1 of 54
It's announced that it will be a G5 and released & delivered in September.

Knowing that, how is actually going to buy one immediately, a bit later, or wait for rev b?

What's it going to take to get you to buy?

I've been waiting since the first of the year for a 20" iMac and am ready to pull the trigger the first hour they are released.
Ken
Ken
post #2 of 54
If I could have waited, I would have purchased an imac the first day. However, I didn't want to wait two more months for my first mac. Plus, what if they take several weeks to ship or something even when they do start offering them? I wanted to order a mac now, so I got the ibook.

So, unless I win the lottery, I will not be getting one of the new imacs in the next several years. haha
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #3 of 54
Seeing as how the next iMac is a G5 I'm definitely buying it. However looking at my relatively poor fundage it's looking like the Rev B is going to be my first opportunity.

I need something fast enough to edit video with Final Cut Pro on and the iMac G5 should be fine.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Seeing as how the next iMac is a G5 I'm definitely buying it. However looking at my relatively poor fundage it's looking like the Rev B is going to be my first opportunity.

I need something fast enough to edit video with Final Cut Pro on and the iMac G5 should be fine.

actually a G4 iMac is more than fast enough to edit video in Final Cut, just FYI.
post #5 of 54
Depends on how future proof I think it is. And how it's priced

if I can get a solid machine that will last me 2-3 years with no problem for around 1400 I'm sold. If not, I can wait a bit longer.
post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by ipodandimac
actually a G4 iMac is more than fast enough to edit video in Final Cut, just FYI.

No doubt but the eventual plan is to run a damn near all Apple workflow with FCP5, DVDSP 4, Logic 7 and Motion. So while the G4 is nice I'm hitchin' my wagon to the G5 train.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #7 of 54
Quote:
No doubt but the eventual plan is to run a damn near all Apple workflow with FCP5, DVDSP 4, Logic 7 and Motion. So while the G4 is nice I'm hitchin' my wagon to the G5 train.

NO DOUBT!!!

sorry for the off topic,
but have you heard any news about when for logic 7?
post #8 of 54
I'll want to see what it actually is, first, but I'm definitely interested.

I bought the Cube because I wanted an LCD iMac, but the iMac didn't have an LCD. It's getting old enough to be retired to server/eye candy duty, and an LCD iMac could be a great replacement.

Whether I can afford it is another question, especially now that I'm about to become a homeowner.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #9 of 54
If it is AIO, count me out. For those that say upgrading doesn't matter, it does to me. At home I have a 7500 with a Sonnet upgrade card, upgraded ATI Rage video card, and a firewire/USB upgrade card and an aging Radius monitor. Need to upgrade that monitor, soon. And no, I'm not a computer geek - these upgrades are not that hard(at least in a 7500), I just read the instructions and did it.

If forced to, I will just continue saving until I can afford a low end tower, which will be a long long time. For my modest home video needs I will continue to use my laptop, not ideal, but that's life with Apple.

Even though I use Apple computers, I'm am not part of their target market and as long as Steve Jobs is obsessed with his "computer is an appliance" philosophy I probably never will be in their target market.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by kenaustus

Knowing that, how is actually going to buy one immediately, a bit later, or wait for rev b?

I've been waiting since the first of the year for a 20" iMac and am ready to pull the trigger the first hour they are released.

If Apple do it in colours and there's an anodized pink version then I'll buy one for my Mum to replace her well used 400MHz Strawberry iMac.

-Ed
post #11 of 54
I couldn't wait and bought a G5 tower back in March. If it comes out and is reasonably priced and well-featured, I might consider selling the tower and buying it - the tower is huge, but I'm getting used to it.
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by rickag
If it is AIO, count me out. For those that say upgrading doesn't matter, it does to me. At home I have a 7500 with a Sonnet upgrade card, upgraded ATI Rage video card, and a firewire/USB upgrade card and an aging Radius monitor. Need to upgrade that monitor, soon. And no, I'm not a computer geek - these upgrades are not that hard(at least in a 7500), I just read the instructions and did it.

If forced to, I will just continue saving until I can afford a low end tower, which will be a long long time. For my modest home video needs I will continue to use my laptop, not ideal, but that's life with Apple.

Even though I use Apple computers, I'm am not part of their target market and as long as Steve Jobs is obsessed with his "computer is an appliance" philosophy I probably never will be in their target market.

Until you can afford a low end tower? Yet you spend money on Sonnet upgrade cards and video card upgrades as well as firewire/USB ports.

If you hadn't spent all that money on upgrades, you would have been able to afford the low end tower.
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Until you can afford a low end tower? Yet you spend money on Sonnet upgrade cards and video card upgrades as well as firewire/USB ports.

If you hadn't spent all that money on upgrades, you would have been able to afford the low end tower.

NO, NOT EVEN CLOSE. Sonnet G4 400MHz upgrade card $239, ATI Rage Pro upgrade card ~$80, USB/Firewire card ~$60. Let's see a low end tower is $1999. Upgrading extended the life of the 7500 3-4 years, so far. Yes, it's slower and I'm forced to use my laptop to do a lot of what I should be doing on a desktop. But $1999 - $379 = $1620.
post #14 of 54
I'm In!

I've been waiting to replace my aging, yet trusty B&W G3 for some time now, and G5 is the way. Still waiting to see the final outcome and priceing, but i'm pretty sure that i will pull the trigger in the first hour as well.

where are all the leaks? This thing must be in production by now!
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol

it's also a matter of cash flow and getting stuff done. sure, that money could have been saved up, but if a slightly faster processor is needed today, and you have just enough money now to buy that upgrade, but not enough to buy a whole new computer, and the work has to get done, then an upgrade seems like the correct path to choose.

personally, i just want the option or expandability/upgradeability... helps me sleep at night.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #16 of 54
For people looking for a cheap machine now, my local comp usa had Powermac 1.6's for 1400 on the weekend. I dont think the new iMac will be much better ( 1.8 maybe ) and certainly not as expandable.
post #17 of 54
I have a TAM (20th Annv. Mac) since 1997. I'm ready for a new computer and the new imac may be the one. I'm sure it is going to be a great performing product and look great too. Anxious to see it and read the specs.

Quote:
Originally posted by kenaustus

post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by woofer
I have a TAM (20th Annv. Mac) since 1997. I'm ready for a new computer and the new imac may be the one. I'm sure it is going to be a great performing product and look great too. Anxious to see it and read the specs.

That is an awesome Mac, I wish I had the money when those came out. Also wish I bought a cube.

-Ed
post #19 of 54
From all the speculation of what this new imac will look like, it appears that it may look a bit like the old TAM. I don't mind the all in one design, but I can see the advantage to a removable monitor.
post #20 of 54
Personally, no I won't be buying (I loves my PowerBook too much and it more than does what I need it to).

But I WILL be recommending the hell out of them to several family members and on-the-fence types I know, plus a buddy who's still using a 300MHz blue-and-white tower. She's quite a talented artist and very into Photoshop and Painter, so she might appreciate the two-generation leap in chips, not to mention the 500-600% increase in MHz. She'd put it to good use!

On just a non-selfish, "wanna be happy for everyone and Apple" note, I hope these new things are jaw-dropping in price, performance and style and help Apple recapture some of that wonderful 1998-1999 magic and vibe. Those were great times and I hope these new ones fly off the shelves and cause as much stir as the original jellybean did (tall order, I know).

Can't wait to see 'em...
post #21 of 54
I will probably never buy an iMac again, unless they make it upgradeable and headless. :-)
post #22 of 54
Even more so if you are like many of us those upgrade expenses are spread out over a long period of time. The purchases generally being made when funds permit.

A computer that is not upgradeable is not really worth it for the average user. That doesn't mean that AIO or other non upgradeable machine have no value, just that the majority of the market needs to have some form of upgradability.

Now as to the orginal question it is a matter of a few thing for me.

1. Price

2. The expandability question. Does it use standard components? Is the RAM upgradable well beyond current limits? Can the video be upgraded?

3. What sort of performance are we talking about? Whatever is being delivered needs to have at least a 2GHz processor.

4. Does the machine leave with a good feeling about value and future proofness?

I will be the first to say that some of the material being speculated about has me very interested. So it comes down to what sort of deal or package Apple throws together. EVen an AIO has the potential of being purchased if I feel the above issues are addressed. Not knowing what the machine is though makes the whole thread here rather pointless.

Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by rickag
NO, NOT EVEN CLOSE. Sonnet G4 400MHz upgrade card $239, ATI Rage Pro upgrade card ~$80, USB/Firewire card ~$60. Let's see a low end tower is $1999. Upgrading extended the life of the 7500 3-4 years, so far. Yes, it's slower and I'm forced to use my laptop to do a lot of what I should be doing on a desktop. But $1999 - $379 = $1620.
post #23 of 54
As soon as I come up with the money from my job, I will indeed buy one.
post #24 of 54
If it's available while I'm in the states, I'll bring one home with me in September .... if not, I'll bring one home when I come back in March.

AIO fits the bill for me.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #25 of 54
if it's got a decent graphics card I'll consider it...

Now that Tiger will make use of the graphics engine so much...
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
==================================
"It's Happening. Fact."

Ilann Hepworth.
post #26 of 54
Quote:
1. Price

Heh, heh...hee...

No, really...

Quote:
1. Price

2. The expandability question. Does it use standard components? Is the RAM upgradable well beyond current limits? Can the video be upgraded?

3. What sort of performance are we talking about? Whatever is being delivered needs to have at least a 2GHz processor.

4. Does the machine leave with a good feeling about value and future proofness?

I will be the first to say that some of the material being speculated about has me very interested. So it comes down to what sort of deal or package Apple throws together. EVen an AIO has the potential of being purchased if I feel the above issues are addressed. Not knowing what the machine is though makes the whole thread here rather pointless.

1. It's got to be much more affordable than the current disaster. (Selling only 60K? No WONDER Apple lumped sales with eMacs...ergo...what did eMac tell you consumer wants? AIO? Maybe not? Affordable? Maybe yes...)

2. Standard components so Apple doesn't have to do a complete redesign when poor sales flush it down the toilet... So that IF it is a hit, Apple aint waiting on a mini-hard drive manufacturer to ramp up volume...

3. I think CPU must be/prop' be 1.8 - 2.0. 1.8 low end. 2 gig middle and upper model. Consumers now have access to final cut express. Ergo. More power needed. More consumers are using Photoshop style image editing apps. They are no longer the province of the 'pro' market (whatever that is...?)

4. Yes, can I upgrade the graphics card to at least low end next gen' tech'? Will Apple themselves sell these add ons to generate more income? Sell 5 million of these babies...think about how much you could make by selling gpu and cpu upgrades yourself. Why let 3rd parties cream all that income?

AIO. I don't care really. If it incorporates the flexibility of the 'box' design.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by woofer

Is it true that those were delivered by guys in tuxes who arrived in a limo?

Not been a mac-er for a long time, I just hapened to read that somewhere, but for the price of $10000, it doesnt seem unlikely.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by philbot
if it's got a decent graphics card I'll consider it...

Now that Tiger will make use of the graphics engine so much...

no kidding. and here i thought i was set with my geforce 4 titanium for at least the next couple revisions of mac os x. well, i mean, it'll still run, and probably quite well. i'll just miss out on the eye candy. and i like the eye candy.

my dual-g4 has 4x agp in it. can i upgrade to a faster agp card? like would a radeon 9800 really be all that crippled by being in a 4x slot? just trying to plan out my gadget budget.

post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon
1. It's got to be much more affordable than the current disaster. (Selling only 60K? No WONDER Apple lumped sales with eMacs...ergo...what did eMac tell you consumer wants? AIO? Maybe not? Affordable? Maybe yes...)

The eMac is simply a very good computer for certain markets. It is not however the machine that most people on this board would buy. In contrast the iMac was a computer many would have loved to buy if Apple didn't castrate the thing at birth and then allowed it to age in a very ungracefull manner.

Buying a computer based on looks is like choosing a wife based on looks. You may very well apprciate the good looks but if she comes up short on mental considerations the relationship is likely to become extremely stressed. This is the issue with the iMac 2, looks good but is doumb as a rock.
Quote:

2. Standard components so Apple doesn't have to do a complete redesign when poor sales flush it down the toilet... So that IF it is a hit, Apple aint waiting on a mini-hard drive manufacturer to ramp up volume...

Standard compnents to keep costs in check is number one. The other issues are upgradeability, I consider this an important parameter in any machine. The otherside of the mini-hard drive that you comment on is the possibility of the format being restricted or disappearing.
Quote:
3. I think CPU must be/prop' be 1.8 - 2.0. 1.8 low end. 2 gig middle and upper model. Consumers now have access to final cut express. Ergo. More power needed. More consumers are using Photoshop style image editing apps. They are no longer the province of the 'pro' market (whatever that is...?)

Your reasoning is sound but I think there would be greater acceptance of the machine if the bottom end was 2 GHz and the top end hit about 2.4GHz. The issue is that buy the time the machine actually hits the market in any volume the performance offered buy those chips will be mainstream or average. So unless Apple wants to market yet another computer that performs like a dog with a broken leg it needs to pay attention to performance issues.
Quote:
4. Yes, can I upgrade the graphics card to at least low end next gen' tech'? Will Apple themselves sell these add ons to generate more income? Sell 5 million of these babies...think about how much you could make by selling gpu and cpu upgrades yourself. Why let 3rd parties cream all that income?

I don't know what form factor the current machine will have it is safe to assume it will be compact. What I want to see in this machine is a video card that is a industry standard form factor that will have upgrade sources other than Apple. It is either that or solder in the latest GPU one can find and hope that it will be good for a few years. There is zero likely hood that Apple will do that though. that is offer modern video performance.
Quote:
AIO. I don't care really. If it incorporates the flexibility of the 'box' design.

Yes flexibility is important and I take that to mean atleast easy upgrades but also some expandability. If not I might as well stick with my Linux systems.

Dave
Quote:

Lemon Bon Bon [/B]
post #30 of 54
Not that Linux doesn't have some great benefits (I've got several Linux machines), but what's the point of having a great graphics card in Linux...Tux Racer? Unless you're an architect or engineer, really, what's the point? Want to play games? Get a freakin' console! An entire console will cost less than a modern PCIe card.

The whole reason we want great graphics cards on our Macs is because, unlike other platforms, Mac OS X actually uses them.

That said, I'll probably buy the new iMac regardless of the GPU or expandability. I need something compact and minimal for the living room that doesn't cost as much as a portable.
post #31 of 54
Not buying, my Powerbook is good enough, and I haven't got funds for hardware in the foreseeable future. Might recommend the iMac3 to friends and family, if the price point is right. I predict it will *not* be if iMac3 is an AIO - then it's iMac2 all over again, and sales will remain poor despite the G5.

Edit: I don't think card slot expandability matters much. On all the PC's I've had, I have never upgraded the graphics card. If the included GPU is decent enough (like a Radeon 9600Pro or 9800Pro, currently) games will run with it as long as the CPU is enough for those games.
post #32 of 54
I'll buy one if it is powerful enough to compete in todays market place, and not too over priced (I expect to pay a 25% Mac tax, but I just can't bring myself to pay an extra 50%-100%)

If Apple gives us a 2.4 GHz G5, with a Radeon 9600XT (or better), a 20" display and a super drive for $1,799.00 I'll order one the day it is announced.

If the best they give us is a 1.8 GHz G5, a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, with a 20" display and a super drive for $2,199.00 -- I'll skip this iMac.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Wilkie
Not that Linux doesn't have some great benefits (I've got several Linux machines), but what's the point of having a great graphics card in Linux...Tux Racer? Unless you're an architect or engineer, really, what's the point? Want to play games? Get a freakin' console! An entire console will cost less than a modern PCIe card.

The whole reason we want great graphics cards on our Macs is because, unlike other platforms, Mac OS X actually uses them.

That said, I'll probably buy the new iMac regardless of the GPU or expandability. I need something compact and minimal for the living room that doesn't cost as much as a portable.

I'd say Linux gaming is incidental, just like Mac gaming.. if you have a Linux or Mac system and you also happen to like the few games that are available for your platform, you play. It doesn't make sense to get the system for games, but getting $100 more expensive graphics card is not a big investment.

OS X uses graphics acceleration - so what? It just means the system benefits from a decent amount of graphics memory. What good is a fast GPU do when all you do is move a few rectangular blocks around?

You aren't much of a gamer if you think a console can replace a gaming PC. Two very different animals. If anything, an existing PC can replace the console to a degree.
post #34 of 54
Quote:
If Apple gives us a 2.4 GHz G5, with a Radeon 9600XT (or better), a 20" display and a super drive for $1,799.00 I'll order one the day it is announced.

You and everyone else on the planet would be ordering this Though, don't hold your breath.

$1299 20" display
$500 2.4Ghz G5(estimated)

= $1799 for two components. Where do we fit the rest of the computer in?

I'm not overly concerned about clockspeed. The GPU is becoming vastly more important the the user experience of OSX than clockspeed. We'll see if Apple takes care of us with some decent GPUs.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #35 of 54
Quote:
OS X uses graphics acceleration - so what? It just means the system benefits from a decent amount of graphics memory. What good is a fast GPU do when all you do is move a few rectangular blocks around?

Gross oversimplification. That almost sounded like Thurrotian logic.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon

Maybe you don't understand how Quartz Extreme works. You're not just "moving a few rectangular boxes around." The windowing system is fully composited, allowing for true alpha transparency, anti-aliasing, etc.

Besides, there are no "rectangular boxes" in OS X. They're rounded rectangular boxes, thank you very much.
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Gross oversimplification.

I know that Core Image and friends are coming, but if I understand correctly, they do not speed things up as much as they make application development easier. Even if there is significant speed improvement, that is going to show in graphics and video work only. There are things that the GPU are very well suited for and that would be a tremendous bandwidth hog when done on the CPU, like window handling, but weak GPUs are truly enough for that. What are you thinking about, exactly? Why a fast GPU would be essential for general office and home use?

Trying to push general tasks to a special purpose processor that the GPUs are is very much like pounding a round peg to a square hole. I wonder if the buzz about this is mostly just an allergic reaction to Apple's perpetual weak CPU problem (an unnamed peg manufacturer can't make square pegs big enough ). It's great that this problem is slowly getting addressed by G5's in the consumer lineup. If they make iMac3 right, only laptop speed remains behind.
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Wilkie
Maybe you don't understand how Quartz Extreme works. You're not just "moving a few rectangular boxes around." The windowing system is fully composited, allowing for true alpha transparency, anti-aliasing, etc.

Besides, there are no "rectangular boxes" in OS X. They're rounded rectangular boxes, thank you very much.

I know Quartz does a lot of stuff. It just happens to be the kind of stuff GPUs are extremely efficient for, therefore I assume a "lesser" GPU should be enough.

The rectangular boxes are no less rectangular (from the POV of the GPU) if the bitmaps in the corners are "rounded" by alpha.
post #39 of 54
Gon I see your point but I look at it a little differently.

Core Image/Video will make programming easier but they also make it easier to incorporate elements in your applicatins that would bog the CPU down more than you'd like. Every application that we use is being pumped through the GPU so we might as well take advantage of its 128 and 256bit processing and Pixel Shaders.

No I don't think your basica productivity applications will see a huge boost unless they add transitions and video and image processing. I guess conventional wisdom states that if you are doing basic web browsing and office productivy applications then CPU speed isn't the prime obstacle to your success.

I find the things that slow computers down the most seems to be image or video processing. Which Apple has deftly addressed in Tiger.

They have also advanced Quartz 2D which will likely have the moniker "Quartz 2D Extreme" It's currently disabled in the preview release but should be live for the final. This should give everyone a speedup in standard window speed. I look forward to it since I hate gui lag in window resizing.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #40 of 54
Quote:
No I don't think your basica productivity applications will see a huge boost unless they add transitions and video and image processing. I guess conventional wisdom states that if you are doing basic web browsing and office productivy applications then CPU speed isn't the prime obstacle to your success.

I assume you mean, computer speed isn't the prime obstacle to your success. And you are right. I find all PC processors have been fine for most productivity work for years.. so these performance discussions are actually of interest for different performance niches. There's the audio pros, the graphics pros, database people, gamers, and programmers. Database guys and programmers mostly aren't interested in whatever the GPU has to offer beyond the window swingin'. I acknowledge that as a general purpose computer, the iMac should have a good GPU. It's just not necessary for many people, including non-gamer consumers and said professionals.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Who's going to buy the G5 iMac?