or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Air America Radio (with a small request)

Air America Radio (with a small request)

post #1 of 38
Let me start off this post by asking, with all sincerity, that those reading this thread please not come in with guns blazing. Please.

I realize we live in polarized times and that everything from dog-washing to food preparation sparks a debate on international politics, but if we could just stay on topic I would be happy (and shocked).

Please. Please Please.

On to what I want to say...

First, the star; Al Franken with the Al Franken Show.
He is very hit and miss. He can be very funny but he can also be irritating enough that I turn down the speakers for a bit then try again. His co-host is great.
He's at his best when he is pointing out lies. The oy-oy-oy show is boring and I want to punch him when he has an intelligent guest on and tries his best to thwart an intelligent conversation (usually between the guest and his co-host) with jokey gags.

My favorite show; The Majority Report.
Janeane Garafalo's vocabulary is fantastic. To hear someone properly use words with 4+ syllables on-the-fly is worth the time in and of itself.
Not to mention her father Carmine, an intelligent and patient conservative with whom she has a wonderful repartee.

Anyone else listen to the station?
proud resident of a failed state
post #2 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat

I listened to a bit of franken on the first day, but was a little turned off. Your post makes me realize that I didn't really give it a chance. I'll try to listen a little tomorrow.
post #3 of 38
I am a conservative, but I enjoy hearing all sides, so one day, I turned on the al frankin show, this is what I heard:

A parity of an ad that they thought the Kerry campaign should use, the basics of the plot: guy meets girl, girl asks guy about his politics, guy says he is voting for bush, girl tells him about Kerry, he tells her that she has changed his mind, girl invites guy to her place for some "fun" - this was funny, brevity is good humor.

BUT THEN AL RUINED IT - He talked about the part of the script that was cut - they arrive at girls place and girl says "Hold on, lets do something nasty and kinky!" guy: ok 2 minutes later the girl walks out in a dominatrix outfit and sees the guy leaving, asks him why and he says "you said kinky so I took a dump in your purse".

I WISH THIS WASNT REAL, I was repulsed.

I figured it was an isolated incident, so I tuned in three weeks later, it was al and some author talking about Clinton sex scandals, WHO CARES ABOUT CLINTONS LBJs, I have MOVED ON, and I plan to try for a third time when they have also MOVED ON.
post #4 of 38
Talk radio of all political stripes will never stop talking about Clinton's sex scandal.
post #5 of 38
I think Garafalo is really going to be the star of the network. The show is just wonderful. I actually really like Randi Rhodes, too.

I've not listened in a few months, mostly because I can't work and be angry at the same time.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #6 of 38
Well I am looking for a job so while I pound the pavement I can keep the web stream going in the background (when I am home, anyway).

It is easy to be angry when you can't find work.
post #7 of 38
Anyone know if this is available in Chicago, or just streaming?
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #8 of 38
Randi Rhodes is good, yeah. I didn't think I would like her but she has definitely grown on me.

No station in Chicago.

I really wish we had a real station here, but it will be a while before it gets to Texas.
post #9 of 38
post #10 of 38
You should have named this thread

"Air America Radio (with a small listenership)"

post #11 of 38
Why is it that everytime we sqash one another one turns up?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #12 of 38
What, did you think I was I conservative just because I pointed out that nobody listens to Air America?

For what its worth, I think Garofalo and Frankin are some of the most simple-minded hosts on the air. Just because they're liberal, that doesn't make them any smarter or open-minded than Hannity or Rush. Their humor is petty and their analysis is trite....just like the rest. They're just another partisan mouthpiece. I was excited to learn that there would be more diversity on the air, but I feel overwhelmingly let down.

Here's hoping one day there'll be a real free thinker on the radio.
post #13 of 38
Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Wilkie
Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome.

Oh you should have seen how I welcomed Fellowship
post #15 of 38
--
What, did you think I was I conservative just because I pointed out that nobody listens to Air America?
--

You pointed out something that is not true, actually.

Air America seems to be doing damned well considering it is new.

The link right above your post should tell you all you need to know.
post #16 of 38
There are some Air America shows that are played on XM Radio 167 "America Left".

I listen to Morning Sedition when Imus is on vacation (most of the summer), and I've heard Al Franken's rebroadcasts on the weekend, along with Randi Rhodes and Ed Schultz. I could be butchering the spelling, I don't know.

There's an Air America Radio station coming to Nashua (might be on the air already, I don't know), but XM radio has no static and has fewer annoying ads so that's what I listen to.
post #17 of 38
I am considering getting XM radio.
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran441
There are some Air America shows that are played on XM Radio 167 "America Left".

I listen to Morning Sedition when Imus is on vacation (most of the summer), and I've heard Al Franken's rebroadcasts on the weekend, along with Randi Rhodes and Ed Schultz. I could be butchering the spelling, I don't know.

There's an Air America Radio station coming to Nashua (might be on the air already, I don't know), but XM radio has no static and has fewer annoying ads so that's what I listen to.

You know, I was part of the initial testing/market research for XM radio (just answering a lot of questions and filling out forms for a few bucks) and while, at the time, I was uninterested, I'm getting more and more interested now. Is it worth the $10 a month or whatever?

As for AAR--considering it's only 3 months old it seems to be doing very, very well. I was quite pleased when I saw their initial lineup, since it indicated that the lefty-radio types had finally realized that you don't get policy wonks to do a radio show. You get entertainers. That's what conservative radio did, and it worked incredibly well.
post #19 of 38
On a political level AAR is too Democrat for me, not really liberal/leftist.
post #20 of 38
Quote:
On a political level AAR is too Democrat for me, not really liberal/leftist.

I just meant that the people who want to put a liberal/democrat/lefty radio on the air finally got it right. And I agree, the show is thoroughly Democrat rather than ideologically lefty or liberal. But it's a start, I think. If they'd begun with someone like Kucinich's views, it'd have been too lefty, I wager.
post #21 of 38
If someone in 25 years asks me if I ever listened to AAR, I'll say "I experimented with it once, and I didn't like it."
post #22 of 38
Quote:
--
--

You pointed out something that is not true, actually.

Air America seems to be doing damned well considering it is new.

The link right above your post should tell you all you need to know.

I wouldn't lend any credibility to a lefty "political analysis" blog.

Check this one out. It's referring to the same "ratings" on which that blog post was made.

Perhaps more importantly is the fact that the ratings only include New York. Oh, more New Yorkers listen to Garofalo than Limbaugh? What a surprise! I'm sure it AA will do great in New York and California, but they will never have the 20 million daily listeners Rush reels in.
post #23 of 38
Quote:
I wouldn't lend any credibility to a lefty "political analysis" blog.

Check this one out. It's referring to the same "ratings" on which that blog post was made.

a) That article is a month old and is concerned with the initial indications that Franken beat Limbaugh's ratings in a certain demographic during a certain time slot in a certain (very liberal) market.

b) The ratings Kos is talking about are for a different slot and different show.

c) The National Review is hardly a bastion of non-partisanship.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
a) That article is a month old and is concerned with the initial indications that Franken beat Limbaugh's ratings in a certain demographic during a certain time slot in a certain (very liberal) market.

b) The ratings Kos is talking about are for a different slot and different show.

c) The National Review is hardly a bastion of non-partisanship.

a) "initial indications" by Franken that were more like pure bullsh!t.

b) From his source...
Quote:
25-54 10am-3pm: WABC 2.7 WLIB 2.2

WLIB trailing WABC by a half a point in the 25-54 age group during the Limbaugh time period is no small story, folks. Especially when you consider that this is WLIB's very first ratings quarter - EVER. It took Rush over 14 years to get a 2.7. Franken popped a 2.2 in three months.

Randi Rhodes in the 25-54 group debuted well against Hannity in 3-7pm:

25-54 3pm-7pm: WABC 3.1 WLIB 2.2

c) The National Review is partisan, but in this case entirely right in calling out Franken. Besides, conservative or not, I think its just a tad more credible than some dudes blog.
post #25 of 38
Kos has never been wrong. His blog is just not another blog--it gets more hits than this site. He's also been on Air America several times as a guest.

FYI, Randi Rhodes has a fairly large forum.

http://forum.therandirhodesshow.com/
post #26 of 38
Quote:
a) "initial indications" by Franken that were more like pure bullsh!t.

b) From his source...

c) The National Review is partisan, but in this case entirely right in calling out Franken. Besides, conservative or not, I think its just a tad more credible than some dudes blog.

What Kos said:

Quote:
Air America Arbitron ratings, NYC for Majority Report

by kos
Mon Jul 19th, 2004 at 01:51:39 EDT

Darn good news. Majority Report is the #1 talk radio show in the 25-54 demographic in NYC for its time slot.
Majority Report: 2.9
WABC: 2.7
WOR: 1.2
Who does WOR feature in that time slot? Savage and Laura Ingraham.

Air America came in as the second-highest-ranked talk network in NYC across the board.

Different show. Different time slot. New ratings.
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
Kos has never been wrong. His blog is just not another blog--it gets more hits than this site. He's also been on Air America several times as a guest.

FYI, Randi Rhodes has a fairly large forum.

http://forum.therandirhodesshow.com/

Indeed. That's sort of like complaining about getting info from Andy Sullivan or Matthew Gross. Like it or not, Kos is a pretty mainstream political commentator among liberals. Just because he has a (wildly popular) site where he posts his information doesn't discredit the information itself. Hell, Drudge's site is essentially a blog, too.
post #28 of 38
Never been wrong?

Bahhhh, Bahhhh.
post #29 of 38
Janeane Garafalo is fucking hilarious.

Listening now... Jesus.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Janeane Garafalo is fucking hilarious.

Listening now... Jesus.

And utterly hot.
post #31 of 38
Quote:
And utterly hot.

And utterly not, regardless of political persuasion.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
And utterly not, regardless of political persuasion.

Nick

Oh man. Now I'm certain. Somthin' ain't right with you, boy.
post #33 of 38
I have loved JG for a long time. She is almost a carbon copy of my oldest sister; a beautiful girl with low self-esteem and razor-sharp wit.

My love affair went on hiatus as I wrapped myself a little too tight in the flag for a while, but I have been unwound as my faith in the Shrubbery has been destroyed.

I love her again, and it is good.
post #34 of 38
Quote:
And utterly hot.

As long as we're being superficial, you are aware that she is 5'1"?
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
You are aware that she is 5'1"?

And? My wife is 5'2"
post #36 of 38
Quote:

What Houston frequency is it using? (Assuming you have moved to Houston already.)
post #37 of 38
Have to listen over the web, airamericaradio.com or over satellite radio.

Still in Austin, a year or more until Houston time.
post #38 of 38
Janeane is smart and sharp. I watched her at the DNC last night being interviewed by a camera crew from http://www.takebackthemedia.com at the DNC while she was taking a 10 minute break from her Air America live broadcast just before the Edwards speech. Very funny stuff!

She was great when she hosted for Crossfire...Bow-tie boy Tucker Carlson didn't know which way to turn!. Hilarious.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Air America Radio (with a small request)