or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The What's Next from Apple?™ Thread

The What's Next from Apple?™ Thread

post #1 of 24
Is it safe to say the next product release from Apple will be Motion, followed by the new iMac G5 on August 31st?

What about the rest of the year?

- Motion ("this summer")
- iMac G5 (Aug. 31st)
- PowerBook rev?
- iBook rev?
- G5 rev? (NO WAY, NOT THIS YEAR!)
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #2 of 24
Well, Think Secret hinted colored iPod in mid-August. So the mini line could be refreshed.

iMac G5 in Sept.

iWalk in X-mas. Hehe. Just kidding.
post #3 of 24
iMac- will be the next hardware product to ship. Well after the 30" ACD ships.

Motion- will be the next application to ship.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 24
Here are my ideas about when and what will be updated from Apple.

Paris Expo

August 31st-September 1st-Steve Jobs announces the new iMac

August 31st-September 1st-Steve Jobs announces the new iPod mini
------------------------------

Apple issues a press release saying, "Join us on October 23rd, to hear and see amazing speed, size, and power."

Special Event October 23rd-Apple announces the 60 GB iPod and an update to the iTunes Music Store. (Size)

Special Event October 23rd-Apple announces the PowerBook G5. (Speed and Power)
----------------
MacWorld San Francisco in January-New PowerMacs and iBooks
post #5 of 24
I hope that Apple does this within the next 2 months:

-60 GB ipods
-mini ipod refresh
-new powermac
-releases new imac

not because i want any of those or even think there is a chance it will happen but because im tired of rumours about the above and want you guys to be forced to talk about powerbooks
post #6 of 24
an iPod min. For only $50 less than the 20 gig iPod you get 1/5th the space. That better change soon because it looks real dumb.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #7 of 24
Does a new, higher capacity version of the iPod mini's HD exist?
post #8 of 24
I want ot see the release of PowerBook G5. At least 2 GHz.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed, and die, so do societies, and civilizations and government."
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed, and die, so do societies, and civilizations and government."
post #9 of 24
Kill the 970fx processors and get a new chip based on Power 5. Utilize Tiger's SMP capability and bring workstation power to the Mac.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #10 of 24
If I'm realistic I hold it to the iMac, shipping in September, and a 60GB iPod when the new drive is ready.

Possible, but a long shot, would be a G5 2.8 PM in the fall, leaving room for a 3.0 in January. That depends on IBM yields and you know that they are working their @ss off to get it done. One more display size might also be interesting - a 26" (or so) version, priced between the 23" and 30" and not needing a special graphics card.

The iPod mini demand is so strong that there is no way that they will catch up with supply by Christmas so I doubt that you will see any changes until Jan/Feb at the earliest.

I have thought about an iBook revision, but now believe that will wait until G5's are plentiful and they will move the iBook and eMac to a lower speed G5.

Then, of course, there is a chance that Steve J will come up with "one more thing" in Paris. After iSight and Airport Express it is clear to me that I don't have a chance in hell of guessing that, but will probably buy it - like I did with iSight and AE.
Ken
Ken
post #11 of 24
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by blunky
This design for iMac G5, maybe?

That's a pretty cool design. Me likey.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Maffrew
That's a pretty cool design. Me likey.

Hell no!

that looks like a pc...

apple (and I!) like an organic design... which means curves..

a cube like thing is ok, but make it a bit more friendly looking... it's an iMac.

~ufo~
iPatch

pirating for the rest of us
iPatch

pirating for the rest of us
post #14 of 24
60gb drive used in 'something different'

tablet?
video camera?
who knows?

Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #15 of 24
It's funny to me that everyone is taking the comment about the 60GB iPod to mean that there isn't one coming (and soon).

All that was said is that Apple wanted to focus on these 2 players at extremely attractive prices for NOW.

Meaning, they want 1-3 months of people talking about cheaper iPods (even though they're just following the same tiered pricing as always) before releasing the BIGGEST portable mp3 player ever!

I expect if sales are good on the 40GB we'll see a 60GB in Paris.
post #16 of 24
I like the Cube iMac!

Nice. 'Lose your head.' heh.

Er...

1. Motion.
2. iMac 3.
3. iPod 60.
4. PowerMac bump to 2.8 in fall, possible intro of 975 quad power?
5. PowerBook before end of year? Early next.
6. iBook. New alu' iPod mini look in colours?
7. eMac dropped for headless Mac. Early next year.

Well, they're only guesses...

8. More apps. Lots more software...
9. A new DLD device....

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #17 of 24
THe next thing from Apple.

We have already agreed on Motion and iMac. But what else.
Think about iLife and the digital hub - it is the key.

The thinking should surround what the industry doesn't do well for Mac's. A good example is routers, iSight and mp3 players. Before these items had shabby support for the Mac. At this point, Apple has these products out in the market and then something unexpected happened - it is now hard to find a better product for the windows OS and none of the OEM's now make these products for Macs. Linksys no longer support macs, there are barely any good web camera's compared to iSight and there is no reason to discuss the iPod's success.

Combining these two thoughts means that Apple has to find something that fits into iLife and/or the digital hub, something that isn't currently done well for Mac users, and is something Apple will have to carry/support for a long time due to 3rd party abandon trends.

iLife thoughts:
iTunes - iPod (Although i think Apple should update the Radio station page. It is dull.)
iMovie - Video Camera's (Apple is very happy with Camcorder support)
iDVD - DVD-R are plentiful, so are industry DVD Players.
iPhoto - All digital Camera's are currently working great with iPhoto
Garage Band - No issues at this time.

So where does this leave apple for iLife products. In a pretty good spot I think. The only thing I would like is for JamPack to be included Garageband. This would help adoption.

Digital Hub thoughts:
After taking a look around my house there are only a few things I can think of. Items like, Stereo, TV, Telephone, etc. They covered the stereo with AExpress so that leaves TV and Telephone. They did a Telephone product in the past called Apple Telecom, so that leaves TV. I would think a clean way to put my iMovies on the TV either through the iPod plug in or through wireless movie-presenter, similar to Tivo or HP Movie presenter would be the best way to go.

The only low hanging fruit would be cell phones, but there are no real compatibility problems because there is not big reason computers and phones need to interact. Plus, according the Jobs a WSJ Digital Conference, they already built on, tried it out, and then scrapped it.
post #18 of 24
Coming next, after the new G5 iMac:

Mini update. It will probably have the same drive, if Hitachi can make them fast enough. However, it will be embedded on to the circuit board. Result: A thinner mini. Battery life extended to up to 12 hours. Price? Really no need to lower it if you can't keep up with demand and people are willing to spend $250. Why reduce profits?

New design iBooks at MWSF.

G5 Powerbook the middle of 2005.

New addition to iLife software suite

and, of course, Tiger.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
New design iBooks at MWSF.

G5 Powerbook the middle of 2005.

if you bump the iBook you have to bump the powerbook
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #20 of 24
A refreshed mini iPod? Heck it just barely started shipping in quantities!

I think it's a bit too soon for any new coloured models, but a price adjustment to $199 would certainly be welcomed.
post #21 of 24
Probably the mini's price will stay the same. I do expect more colors like TS reported and I expect them before the iMac's announcement.
post #22 of 24
I vote for an zeroconfig, airport equiped, DLP projector.

The necessity for a troublesome and unsightly video cable is one of the few things holding back wider adoption of front projection.

Coupled with a wifi dongle for the back of your hometheater rack... all of a sudden front projection seems reasonable for your average consumer. Selling point, your computer can play movies and audio straight to your home theater, no wires or configuration required.

*sigh* But I think we're still five years away from quality consumer products with Apple's level of pollish and integration.
post #23 of 24
I'm hoping for the Apple AirTheater...

Imagine an iPod mated with an Airport Express: Aluminum, about half the size of a 12" PowerBook--looks like a closed PowerBook (and uses many same components) but no screen, trackpad, speakers, and uses the smaller Toshiba 60G HD--only Apple logo and DVD slot visible from front. Like Airport Express, can be plugged into wall socket or use extension cord and place in AV component rack. Uses a remote that looks like the iPod Mini or can be controlled from any Mac in the house wirelessly.

Has input for digital cable; outputs for DVI for Hi Def TV or Apple Cinema Displays, S-video, optical audio, analog audio. Has Firewire, USB 2.0, Ethernet, 802.11G.

Downloads movies over Internet and stores automatically on HD in the background and at night from new Apple iMovie store with its new DRM protection scheme. Maybe just can stream from the new store but use HD for huge buffer. Can use Ethernet or wireless. Stores regular TV content as well. Plays digital cable TV, DVDs with DD 5:1, iMovies, iPhoto slideshows, Keynote presentations, direct from camcorders and any AV source with FireWire.

Plug the optical out into your receiver. Replaces your cable box, CD/DVD player, and DVR/VCR. Get Hi Def video and surround sound with fewer boxes and cable clutter and Apple ease of configuration.

Apple leverages existing technology, moves further into consumer electronics with groundbreaking product, and attracts Windows users as well as Mac-heads.

$699... Order now!
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally posted by chas
I'm hoping for the Apple AirTheater...

Imagine an iPod mated with an Airport Express: Aluminum, about half the size of a 12" PowerBook--looks like a closed PowerBook (and uses many same components) but no screen, trackpad, speakers, and uses the smaller Toshiba 60G HD--only Apple logo and DVD slot visible from front. Like Airport Express, can be plugged into wall socket or use extension cord and place in AV component rack. Uses a remote that looks like the iPod Mini or can be controlled from any Mac in the house wirelessly.

Has input for digital cable; outputs for DVI for Hi Def TV or Apple Cinema Displays, S-video, optical audio, analog audio. Has Firewire, USB 2.0, Ethernet, 802.11G.

Downloads movies over Internet and stores automatically on HD in the background and at night from new Apple iMovie store with its new DRM protection scheme. Maybe just can stream from the new store but use HD for huge buffer. Can use Ethernet or wireless. Stores regular TV content as well. Plays digital cable TV, DVDs with DD 5:1, iMovies, iPhoto slideshows, Keynote presentations, direct from camcorders and any AV source with FireWire.

Plug the optical out into your receiver. Replaces your cable box, CD/DVD player, and DVR/VCR. Get Hi Def video and surround sound with fewer boxes and cable clutter and Apple ease of configuration.

Apple leverages existing technology, moves further into consumer electronics with groundbreaking product, and attracts Windows users as well as Mac-heads.

$699... Order now!

I WANT THAT! *takes out credit card*
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › The What's Next from Apple?™ Thread