or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Can't shutdown, logout, or restart

Can't shutdown, logout, or restart

post #1 of 32
Hey guys... I can't seem to do anything to shutdown, logout, or restart...
I think it may be because I can't unmount one of my 4 drives... which I can't figure out...

I can force unmount it from Root, but thats it.

Any ideas?
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #2 of 32
I guess you have tried all the usual things, make sure your not using an app/file on the drive that is open.. tried disk utility to unmount it..
post #3 of 32
Yea I've tried unmounting the disk... I'm not *using* anything on the drive. The only problem is that my iTunes Library is on there... and iTunes won't quit... well, it does quit but it restarts all the time... any idea?
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #4 of 32
if nothing else works, open a terminal and type 'sudo logout' (or reboot), enter your password, hit enter and, well, your computer should logout/restart.
i know osx is a little picky about network drives but i have no idea why it wouldn't work though, never encountered that problem.
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
post #5 of 32
Weird... any chance iDisk could cause this?
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by ajones

Definitely.

DO you have a process that is running which should not be? (related to iDisk)
post #7 of 32
Quote:

If you get a message saying "mirror agent" caused logout or whatever to time out, yes. That is an iDisk issue.

Disconnect all firewire devices and check to see if that helps. Check your disk first though.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #8 of 32
I don't get any messages... it just sits there like a stupid PC.... which scares me. The only thing connected is my iPod, which I manually unmounted.
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #9 of 32
Moving to Genius Bar...
post #10 of 32
huh?
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #11 of 32
Quote:
huh?

You posted in the wrong forum....

post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by jwri004
You posted in the wrong forum....

Ok? So What is Genius Bar? That doesn't seem to click...
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #13 of 32
Check out www.ipodding.com to eliminate iPod as the source of your trouble. Also, it doesn't hurt to trash iTunes and iTunes preferences to see if the problem goes away. You can always download the new version from Apple's website.

Again, what type of network do you map your drives to?
post #14 of 32
I guess I don't understand the network drives question. I don't have any network drives mounted, if that's what you mean. Only the 4 internal drives on my Mac, plus my iPod and iDisk

Is that what you're needing or what?
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Ok? So What is Genius Bar? That doesn't seem to click...

Genius Bar is where people might be able to solve any problems you are having. It cuts trough all the other topics and is the generic PLEASE HELP ME forum, which fits nicely with your problem.

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Only the 4 internal drives on my Mac, plus my iPod and iDisk

iDisk doesn't cause trouble with a always on broadband internet connection. I didn't realise you had four internal drives, so ignore my question on network drives.
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Genius Bar is where people might be able to solve any problems you are having. It cuts trough all the other topics and is the generic PLEASE HELP ME forum, which fits nicely with your problem.

I see! Cool. I've been over there offering my 2 cents...

As to my problem, the reason iTunes doesn't seem to want to quit *MIGHT* have to do with the iChatStatus server I have running that pulls the iTunes song info and puts it into my iChat status...

I really DON'T think it's iTunes, but I'm not seeing anything in any of my logs... it's like it's not getting the command...
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #18 of 32
In your processes, is mount_webd running when this occurs? I think this relates to the iDisk.
post #19 of 32
Quote:
In your processes, is mount_webd running when this occurs? I think this relates to the iDisk.

No, but there is:

Code:

aaron 392 0.0 0.0 31092 388 ?? Ss 11:29PM 0:00.27
/sbin/mount_webdav -o noautomounted -o nobrowse -a12 -S idisk.mac.com/ajonessn /Volumes/ajonessn
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #20 of 32
No worries guys! I appreciate your ideas... I'll figure something out... I'll probably just write an ApplieScript to run the commands as root...

I'll post the code when I'm done for anyone who has the same problem...

Now for my next question, how the heck to I get a gMail account!!! I want one SOO Bad!
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Hey guys... I can't seem to do anything to shutdown, logout, or restart...
I think it may be because I can't unmount one of my 4 drives... which I can't figure out...

I can force unmount it from Root, but thats it.

Any ideas?

I've had this happen to me a couple times. Both times this happened was right after I ran a 10.3.x update while another user was logged in.

The computer just sat there after I clicked restart or shutdown, and I couldn't do anything but force the power off.

I figure it might be a problem with the software update and multiple users not working nicely together, but it could have been a coincidence. This doesn't really sound like it's related to your problem though.
Prosecutors will be violated
Prosecutors will be violated
post #22 of 32
I kind of wish it was! But I'm the only user!
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #23 of 32
Are you saying that absolutely nothing happens when you chose logout from the Apple Menu, or do you get some of the logout and it fails?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by asdasd
Are you saying that absolutely nothing happens when you chose logout from the Apple Menu, or do you get some of the logout and it fails?

Absolutely nothing happens. That's it. Nothing. It just sits there
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #25 of 32
When I have issues with a slow sleep it has always been a process running that stops it from happening.

What I do is go into the terminal and kill processes and narrow down the culprit by killing them in batches until the problem disappears.

Also the process I was talking about before is the same as the one you displayed, in top it is truncated.

Could you also put a return in your code line so the formatting of this page returns to normal????

post #26 of 32
Remember that unix treats devices as "files" and is reluctant to shut down while any "files" are still open. Do an ls -il in the /dev directory to see what's going on, look in particular for a clue that a device might have been left open. Look at the access dates to see if anything is really really old.

Have you repaired permissions lately?
now, where was I?
now, where was I?
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by KWSN_hgs
Remember that unix treats devices as "files" and is reluctant to shut down while any "files" are still open. Do an ls -il in the /dev directory to see what's going on, look in particular for a clue that a device might have been left open. Look at the access dates to see if anything is really really old.

Have you repaired permissions lately?

Permissions are repaired daily @ 4:00am
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #28 of 32
It has nothing to do with the apps not quitting. They are not getting the Apple Event to quit, which would not happen until the user agreed to Logout ( when that dialog appears).

He is not getting that.

ajones, can you sample loginwindow when this happens

In terminal

sample loginwindow 2
post #29 of 32
I get this:

Code:

aaron$ sample loginwindow 2
sample cannot find a process you have access to which has a name like 'loginwindow'
syntax: sample <pid/partial name> <duration (secs)> { <msecs between samples> } <options>
options: {-mayDie} {-wait} {-subst <old> <new>}*
-file filename specifies where results should be written
-mayDie reads symbol information right away
-wait wait until the process named (usually by partial name)
exists, then start sampling
-subst can be used to replace a stripped executable by another
Note that the program must have been started using a full path, rather than a
relative path, for analysis to work, or that the -subst option must be specified
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #30 of 32
Quote:
I get this:

Code:

aaron$ sample loginwindow 2
sample cannot find a process you have access to which has a name like 'loginwindow'
syntax: sample <pid/partial name> <duration (secs)> { <msecs between samples> } <options>
options: {-mayDie} {-wait} {-subst <old> <new>}*
-file filename specifies where results should be written
-mayDie reads symbol information right away
-wait wait until the process named (usually by partial name)
exists, then start sampling
-subst can be used to replace a stripped executable by another
Note that the program must have been started using a full path, rather than a
relative path, for analysis to work, or that the -subst option must be specified

Oops! Forgot to run it as root:
Code:

root# sample loginwindow 2
2004-07-23 17:32:24.844 sample[1866] Couldn't start c++filt for C++ name demangling
Sampling process 209 each 10 msecs 200 times
Sample analysis of process 209 written to file /tmp/loginwindow_209.sample.txt
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
Aaron Jones
ajones@spymac.com
post #31 of 32
Right. loginwindow is a root app, so

sudo sample loginwindow 2
Password:

at the password prompt type in the user's password. should do this only in an admin account.
post #32 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by asdasd
Right. loginwindow is a root app, so

sudo sample loginwindow 2
Password:

at the password prompt type in the user's password. should do this only in an admin account.

though this might be of no help i would suggest pulling the plug and pulling out or disconnecting every card,device connected to your system. i once had a bad pci card that made my system behave in this fashion. I have heard of bad video cards doing something similar. anyways good luck.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Can't shutdown, logout, or restart