or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Hey Catholics, do you know that the GOP may be getting your info from the diocese?

Hey Catholics, do you know that the GOP may be getting your info from the diocese?

post #1 of 15
The GOP is seeking to get directories from diocese around the country, through members of the church.

When you signed up at your church to worship did you want that information, which was given freely to the church, to go to political partisan organizations?

Well, the GOP doesn't seem to care if you did or you didn't.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Republican National Committee has asked Bush-backing Roman Catholics to provide copies of their parish directories to help register Catholics to vote in the November election, a use of personal information not necessarily condoned by dioceses around the country.

In a story posted Thursday on its Web site, the National Catholic Reporter said a GOP official had urged people who attended a Catholic outreach event in January to provide parish directories and membership lists to the political party. [ . . . ]

Martin J. Gillespie, director of Catholic Outreach at the RNC: ``Please forward any directories you are able to collect to my attention.''

Parish Directories often hold a lot of information about a person or a family.

Quote:
Susan Gibbs, the spokeswoman for the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, D.C., which oversees 140 parishes in Washington and Maryland, said parish directories publish information only for use among church members and not for use by outside organizations no matter what their purpose.

"Parish directories are for helping parishioners get to know each other better and are strictly for that purpose. They are not intended to be used for any outside commercial purpose, solicitations or anything else,'' Gibbs said. "Parish directories or priest directories are not given to outside groups even if it's for a good cause.''

What's next?! Will they be trying to get into the confessional to find out what your dirty laundry is?

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #2 of 15
Somone else already posted a thread on this about 2-3 weeks ago.
post #3 of 15
Please show it.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #4 of 15
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #5 of 15
Well, that thread got bogged down in Church/state . . . while what I am worried about is the use of personal information that was given freely for other purposes . . . . in other words, a form of invasion of privacy. Perhaps that can be disccussed here?
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #6 of 15
Politics is so much crap these days I refuse to vote.

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34
post #7 of 15
"Spare a thought for the stay-at-home voter
Empty eyes gaze at strange beauty shows
And a parade of the gray suited grafters
A choice of cancer or polio"

-rolling stones - salt of the earth-

i understand, but i disagree, i think it's a cop-out.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship

Fellowship

I am dissapointed . . . of course politics is crap this time of year: so much slander flying about.
But you must have some serious thoughts about some of the very serious things that have happened in the last four years?

Do you want to give these things the mark of a 'mandate' to be done over agian, and perhaps without reserve due to no re-election
or do you want to say that other perhaps more measured approachs should have been taken and should be taken in the future?

I think that you should at least get in there and vote ... even if its only on some smaller bills or whatnot.

I'll spare you what I really think about why its so important, you probably know all that by now . . . but you shouldn't let the mean-spiritedness of many overly-concerned people keep you from doing the one thing that really makes this country a Democracy, and, the thing that so many have given their lives for: our freedom to choose the direction of our governance.

It is right to excercise your Right to vote . . . . even vote Right if you must
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #9 of 15
Would you all be posting here if Kerry got a list from unions or environmental groups?
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Would you all be posting here if Kerry got a list from unions or environmental groups?

Probably

But since he isn't, it isn't the issue is it?!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #11 of 15
Quote:

I'm sure he has and that's really quite different. Unions keep mailing lists just for political purposes and actively try to effect legislation through PAC's that file with the FEC. They're also more likely to do the work themselves. For example union run phone banks calling the membership to remind them to vote and reminding them who the union is supporting, or mailings to the membership telling them who the union is endorsing.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by trick fall
I'm sure he has and that's really quite different. Unions keep mailing lists just for political purposes and actively try to effect legislation through PAC's that file with the FEC. They're also more likely to do the work themselves. For example union run phone banks calling the membership to remind them to vote and reminding them who the union is supporting, or mailings to the membership telling them who the union is endorsing.

I have to admit that I don't really like that . . . many people who are in the Unions are not necessarily there because they want to be . . . many jobs practically require that you join the Union if you want to be able to practice your profession . . . that does not mean that you automatically endorse whatever that Union decides . . .

Hmmm?!?! Unions are tricky things in this day and age, we needed them desperately to get over outright abuses, and we still need them despite the better wages and benefits that they have succesfully bargained for . . . but they have an element of strong-arming beyond that once-useful purpose: I still believe that they provide a much needed organ for collective voice . . . but I worry about their coercive aspects to the workers which they are formed to help . .
. .conundrum . ..

I know that I worked manufacturing where I desperately wished that there had been unions . . .

\
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #13 of 15
Quote:
that does not mean that you automatically endorse whatever that Union decides . . .

I've belonged to a couple of unions and worked for one, was even the chairman of my shop. Anyway in all the instances I've encountered the money and lists used for political activities were generated from a separate sign up. You would sign a card and put an amount of how much money you wanted to donate. It was far from mandatory.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship

Fellowship

You should vote man. It's your responsibility as a citizen; thinking it's crap is really no excuse. Vote for someone other than the two main guys, if you can't bring yourself to vote for either of them. I'm sure there will be plenty of other candidates on your ballot.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
I'll spare you what I really think about why its so important, you probably know all that by now . . . but you shouldn't let the mean-spiritedness of many overly-concerned people keep you from doing the one thing that really makes this country a Democracy, and, the thing that so many have given their lives for: our freedom to choose the direction of our governance.

Choose the flack on the left, or the flack on the right. Or vote for someone who appreciates your vote and would do a better job than either of the flacks but has no chance of getting elected. The part that disgusts me is that I don't feel like I have any say in the matter - the entrenched power base (Republicrats) is going to win this election almost universally, just like every other election for the past 150 years or so. And this country will keep going the same place it's been going that entire time.

It seems pretty clear to me that the founding fathers would have been pretty disgusted by the government we have today as well.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Hey Catholics, do you know that the GOP may be getting your info from the diocese?