or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Orrin Hatch: Absolute F**king Lunatic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orrin Hatch: Absolute F**king Lunatic

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 


Hehe. I came across him reading about the RIAA.

The Singing Senator I shall call him. He's the senator for Utah.

Hear him singing on "America United." Staggering genius. Hilarious. Terrifying.

Actually, he's also a member of the RIAA. Oh, and responsible for the "Pirate" act and the "Induce" act ("Inducement Devolves into Unlawful Child Exploitation") which seeks to ban P2P because it leads to child abuse.

From his website:

Quote:
We must amend the Constitution to defend traditional marriage from being undermined by activist judges. The bedrock of American society is the family, and it is traditional marriage that undergirds the American family. But recent court decisions have proven that courts are usurping the role of legislatures by imposing their own definitions of marriage on the people.

I whole-heartedly support the passage of the Allard Amendment to allow the American people rather than a few activist judges to define this fundamental unit of our society.

In addition, it is my belief that adhering strictly to the Constitution and the system of government our Founders outlined is the best guarantee of the freedoms we cherish as Americans. We need legislators, judges, and citizens who understand the view of the Constitution envisioned by our Founding Fathers.

I believe strongly in the freedoms enshrined in our Bill of Rights, and that it is the duty of every American to uphold those freedoms. But I also believe that these rights are sometimes misinterpreted by over-reaching judges. We should not take freedom of speech so far as to mean that pornographers may target our children. And we should not turn freedom of religion on its head, reasoning that all references to God must be removed from public life.

Our Constitution is an inspired document that has preserved the unity of our nation, protected the rights of its citizens, and made America a beacon of freedom and prosperity for the world. I consider my pledge to defend the Constitution, and all that it stands for, to be among my most sacred duties.
meh
Reply
meh
Reply
post #2 of 18
he's also pretty powerful, which is why all this legislation gets so much traction.
post #3 of 18
So what's with the creepy right wing thugs and shitty ditties? First Ashcroft's "Let the Eagle Soar" and now this.

Hatch's contribution sounds like a Coke anthem, circa 1978, which speaks worlds about his ideology.

"But the world waited, to see if we would rise or if we would fall". Um, right, the ongoing viability of America really seemed at some doubt there for a while.... until we heroically overcame the crushing blow and fought back! Which only America would have done! The French would have surrendered!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #4 of 18
Ya'll ought to be a little more thankful for Hatch. He, and loads of other Mormons, have tied up the various attempts to define marriage in various legislatures because, I shit you not, they can't decide whether "marriage is between a man and a woman" or "marriage is between men and women."

Polygamists prefer the latter, of course.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #5 of 18
I have thought about righting to my senators regarding this but I have decided that it is a waste of time, unlike the MPAA, I cant include a big fat campaign contribution
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #6 of 18
Hatch's would have more credibility if he weren't tied to as many scandals, including Memogate. His staffers are among those accused of cyber-theft in raiding Democratic Party servers.

Maybe that "uphold the constitution" language only applies selectively.

IIRC, wasn't Hatch under investigation for sexual harassment of multiple women?
Might have been some other hypocritical republican touting "family values" while flouting them.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
post #7 of 18
don't be silly, you elect them, let them know what's on your mind. plus with emails it's much easier to do these days.
speak up!
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
I have thought about righting to my senators regarding this but I have decided that it is a waste of time, unlike the MPAA, I cant include a big fat campaign contribution

I agree with Mr. Super. Whether you voted or not you can write to them.

I've written to both my senators a couple of times now. Aside from the pro forma replies I got one reply in which they tried to indicate a balance between both sides. This is OK with me. At least they know I care.

Also, for every letter they receive on a subject they figure there are a bunch of similar minded people (like you) who didn't quite get it together to write. In other words, by actually writing your opinion carries a lot of weight. Go for it.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
post #9 of 18
"Dear Senator Hatch:

If you continue to sing, the terrorists win.

Respectfully,

Mr. John Q. Addabox"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
"Dear Senator Hatch:

If you continue to sing, the terrorists win.

Respectfully,

Mr. John Q. Addabox"

Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino23
I agree with Mr. Super. Whether you voted or not you can write to them.

I've written to both my senators a couple of times now. Aside from the pro forma replies I got one reply in which they tried to indicate a balance between both sides. This is OK with me. At least they know I care.

Also, for every letter they receive on a subject they figure there are a bunch of similar minded people (like you) who didn't quite get it together to write. In other words, by actually writing your opinion carries a lot of weight. Go for it.

plus you find out where your reps stand. if they send you back a letter echoing your sentiments and concerns you know they're in your corner on a particular issue.
if you don't hear back from them or they actually have the audacity to try to explain their reason for opposing your beliefs, well, then you know you have to keep your eye on them.

an example......my congressman actually held the crown for the reverend moon's retarded ceremony in washington a couple of months ago, and i wrote him asking him to refrain crowning lunatics who proclaim themselves to be the messiah.
i told him it didn't make our community look to good. he didn't reply, and he has since defended himself in the papers for his actions.
i'm not voting for him again.
post #12 of 18
I hear Ashcroft's gonna open for William Hung. Good stuff.

"Let the Eagle Soar" and Hung's version of 'She bangs" back to back...yummy.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilsch
I hear Ashcroft's gonna open for William Hung. Good stuff.

"Let the Eagle Soar" and Hung's version of 'She bangs" back to back...yummy.

Actually, they've joined forces to produce "Let Her Bang the Eagle till She's Sore", sure to be a hit in certain, umm.... demographics.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #14 of 18
Quote:
I have thought about righting to my senators regarding this but I have decided that it is a waste of time, unlike the MPAA, I cant include a big fat campaign contribution

Are you going to write or right your Senator? I think if you can't spell simple words like that right (write?) then they probably won't pay attention to you. OK I'm being an ass!

I actually think Ashcroft was good at singing that was a cool song. He needs a new day job. Gotta dig up that Hatch fellow's song. But honestly what idiots vote for guys like this in Utah? And who the hell votes for folks like Tom DeLay? I have to wonder about some people over there. If anything says "Tool" loudly and proudly, it's introducing legislation like what Hatch is doing. He would make FM transmitters illegal. He would make WiFi in cars illegal. He would make a lot more illegal, it was on Slashdot a while ago.

Quote:
Ya'll ought to be a little more thankful for Hatch. He, and loads of other Mormons, have tied up the various attempts to define marriage in various legislatures because, I shit you not, they can't decide whether "marriage is between a man and a woman" or "marriage is between men and women."

Polygamists prefer the latter, of course.

Holy hell that's hilarious!! Does everyone in Utah have the same last name and buckteeth and drive lawnmowers to work? </Jeff Foxworthy stereotyping>
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Does everyone in Utah have the same last name and buckteeth and drive lawnmowers to work? </Jeff Foxworthy stereotyping> [/B]

No. That's Mississippi, where I'm originally from.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
"Let Her Bang the Eagle till She's Sore"

addabox you are on FIRE! On FIRE I say!
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
post #17 of 18
I know many of you disagree with Hatch, but really. Can someone point out what is so outrageous about the quote in the first post?


Quote:
We must amend the Constitution to defend traditional marriage from being undermined by activist judges. The bedrock of American society is the family, and it is traditional marriage that undergirds the American family. But recent court decisions have proven that courts are usurping the role of legislatures by imposing their own definitions of marriage on the people.

I whole-heartedly support the passage of the Allard Amendment to allow the American people rather than a few activist judges to define this fundamental unit of our society.

In addition, it is my belief that adhering strictly to the Constitution and the system of government our Founders outlined is the best guarantee of the freedoms we cherish as Americans. We need legislators, judges, and citizens who understand the view of the Constitution envisioned by our Founding Fathers.

I believe strongly in the freedoms enshrined in our Bill of Rights, and that it is the duty of every American to uphold those freedoms. But I also believe that these rights are sometimes misinterpreted by over-reaching judges. We should not take freedom of speech so far as to mean that pornographers may target our children. And we should not turn freedom of religion on its head, reasoning that all references to God must be removed from public life.

Our Constitution is an inspired document that has preserved the unity of our nation, protected the rights of its citizens, and made America a beacon of freedom and prosperity for the world. I consider my pledge to defend the Constitution, and all that it stands for, to be among my most sacred duties.

What he's really talking about is a Constructionist approach, which in my opinion the correct one. Disagree with him or not, we do have a problem in this country with our Judicial branch. The courts have grown more powerful than either of the other two branches of government. They are rewriting the law.
Mr. Gorbachev, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!
Reply
Mr. Gorbachev, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!
Reply
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Reagan
I know many of you disagree with Hatch, but really. Can someone point out what is so outrageous about the quote in the first post?

Well, how about his conflation of 'sacred' and the constitution (bringing Christianity and the US state together is leitmotif of this guy); the definition of an 'activist' judge as 'someone who doesn't agree with me' and the missionary zeal of someone who doesn't want to see happily married people?

The lie about how the judiciary is any less representative of 'the people' then the other branches of government? Or that it's actually the job of anyone but the judiciary to make the ultimate decision of constitutionality?

His happily stated desire to restrict freedoms and rights as 'protection', instead of positively ensuring peoples rights not be abused? See the difference there, and why it's dangerous, even if the base premise wasn't bullshit? This is the guy that wants to close down P2P: not (he says) because he's a member of the RIAA -- oh no -- but because P2P MAY be used for kiddie porn.

How about how the freedom of religion thing has gone too far, because it's taken to mean that all references to God should be removed from public life? In other words, put 10 commandments sculptures in court houses if you want, and move to a Christian understanding of state?

I would say there's a HELL of a lot wrong with it.
meh
Reply
meh
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Orrin Hatch: Absolute F**king Lunatic