or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Fan Website busted using Patriot Act

Fan Website busted using Patriot Act

post #1 of 40
This is pretty screwed up...although not really all that surprising. Sometimes the temptation to use a tool for pursposes other than those for which it is intended can be difficult to resist:

Quote:
Federal charges were filed against Adam McGaughey, creator of the popular SG1Archive.com website - a fan website devoted to the MGM-owned television show Stargate SG-1. The charges allege that the website engaged in Criminal Copyright Infringement and Trafficking in Counterfeit Services. The charges were the culmination of a three-year FBI investigation, set in motion by a complaint from the Motion Picture Association (MPAA) regarding the content of the SG1Archive.com website.
Adam was first tipped off about the investigation when the FBI raided his and his fiancee's apartment in May of 2002 and seized thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment. Adam later received a copy of the affidavit filed in support of the search warrant, and was shocked to discover that this document, prepared by the FBI, contained significant amounts of erroneous and misleading information...it was later revealed that the FBI invoked a provision of the USA Patriot Act to obtain financial records from his ISP.

(story linked to originally on Boing Boing)

So what do AO'ers think about the FBI using powers it was provided with to combat terrorism to investigate copyright infringement for the MPAA?
post #2 of 40
the whole patriot act is bullshit. welcome to nazi germany fellas...
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
post #3 of 40
hey i just find it funny that there were television commercials touting how great it was to live in america where you would never be hauled off for questioning based off the books you checked out of the library. then the patriot act, well, um...

anyone remember that commercial besides me?
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by _ alliance _

I agree and is a major reason we should vote out the throw away everyones rights Bush Administration. we were founded on freedom and libertys and giving any segment of govt more power is a big mistake. it will and has been abused. Nothing at all patriot in it. instead of closing borders and looking for arab looking folks coming into the country it was easier just to strip everyones freedoms. B.S by the saddest adminisration since Carter. I urge everyone to get registered to vote lets just hope they count your vote unlike all those ballots in Florida.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #5 of 40
And how reassuring to know that the FBI isn't wasting its time with silly things like port security or improving intra-agency communications.... Come on men, the integrity of Stargate SG1 is at stake!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
And how reassuring to know that the FBI isn't wasting its time with silly things like port security or improving intra-agency communications.... Come on men, the integrity of Stargate SG1 is at stake!

No kidding we have real crime going on, a Mexican border our govt refuses to acknowledge, Bin laden roaming the Earth and this is what they do. pick on a sci fi web site that if anything is helping MGM sell SG1. what a bunch of Goose Steppers. Another fine example of our piss pot poor govt pissing away resources on B.S.They will use this sorry ass Bush Law for whatever they please. it right up there with pulling out old ladys before getting on planes thinking they are terrorist. makes me sick just thinking how are tax dollars are squandered a million ways for false security.
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox

Don't you know that those Stargates would be a dangerous tool in the wrong hands? This is clearly an attempt to keep them out of the hands of terrorists, and I don't see anything wrong with this.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #8 of 40
Quote:
I agree and is a major reason we should vote out the throw away everyones rights Bush Administration.

um, do you know how something becomes a law?

Start here

hell, i can make your job easier. let me list those who voted against the patriot act.

Feingold (D-WI)

there you go. unless you're in WI, vote everyone out. if you're from WI, you only have to vote out Kohl.
post #9 of 40
And the funny part is that it took them three years!!!!

They investigated this for three years and they busted one dude for distributing fan material to ultra fans . . . who keeps the ratings up but nerdy fans? . . . the kind that visited this guys website!!

What an incredible shameful waste of Government resources . . . 3 years ago . . . . in 2001 they decided this was important . . . didn't other things kinda seem important back then?
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
Feingold (D-WI)

Feingold is one of the best things about this state . . . that and my great garden and yard
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #11 of 40
Quote:
let me list those who voted against the patriot act.

Feingold (D-WI)

there you go.

What a blatant lie.

Here's a list of 66 other people who voted against it.[list=1]
Baldwin
Barrett
Blumenauer
Bonior
Boucher
Brown (OH)
Capuano
Clayton
Conyers
Coyne
Cummings
Davis (IL)
DeFazio
DeGette
Dingell
Farr
Filner
Frank
Hastings (FL)
Hilliard
Honda
Jackson (IL)
\tJackson-Lee (TX)
Johnson, E. B.
Jones (OH)
Kucinich
Lee
Lewis (GA)
McDermott
McGovern
McKinney
Meek (FL)
Miller, George
Mink
Mollohan
Nadler
Ney
Oberstar
Olver
Otter
Owens
Pastor
Paul
Payne
\tPeterson (MN)
Rahall
Rivers
Rush
Sabo
Sanchez
Sanders
Schakowsky
Scott
Serrano
Stark
Thompson (MS)
Tierney
Udall (CO)
Udall (NM)
Velazquez
Visclosky
Waters
Watson (CA)
Watt (NC)
Woolsey
Wu[/list=1]

62 Democrats
3 Republicans
1 Independent
post #12 of 40
Here's a friendlier link than Ex provided:

http://clerk.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote....rollnumber=398
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #13 of 40
Yeah but Feingold still rocks and three years to investigate a Fan based Website is still absurd.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #14 of 40
What law exactly did he break?
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Ra

Does it matter? This person was obvously a Bin Laden lov'n terrorist otherwise the Patriot Act wouldn't have been used. Didn't you watch any of the house or senate hearings where we were reassured that the patriot act was not being abused and only used as intended. Crushing copyright infringement is obvously an intended part of the patriot act... You know how those terrorists work. First they crash airplanes into buildings then they reproduce televised Baseball games without the express written consent of the televising station and MLB. Terrorist bastards!!!!
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by _ alliance _

I say KGB. It was evil when the communists were doing it, eh?\
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #17 of 40
This is a conspiracy. A Go ha Uld is certainly behind it ...
post #18 of 40
Quote:
um, do you know how something becomes a law?

Start here

hell, i can make your job easier. let me list those who voted against the patriot act.

Feingold (D-WI)

there you go. unless you're in WI, vote everyone out. if you're from WI, you only have to vote out Kohl.

I bet Feingold was the only one who actually read it.
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Ra

As far as I can tell, he was allegedly making copyrighted material available on his site (It's not clear if this was full episodes, screen shots or what). On the other hand, it also seems that his site had click throughs to Amazon that generated $100,000 of sales of SG1 material.

Like faust9 says, it doesn't matter whether the site owner did or did not breach MGMs copyright...the point is that the FBI used provisions from what is supposedly an anti-terror law to pursue a potential copyright infringer on behalf of MGM and the MPAA.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by kneelbeforezod
This is pretty screwed up...although not really all that surprising. Sometimes the temptation to use a tool for pursposes other than those for which it is intended can be difficult to resist:

(story linked to originally on Boing Boing)

So what do AO'ers think about the FBI using powers it was provided with to combat terrorism to investigate copyright infringement for the MPAA?

This is why the whole patriot act thing is BS. You can add Homeland Security ( read police state ) to that also.

We don't need Nazi Germany or Red China tactics to deal with our own people. It sets a very dangerous precedent.

The minute I heard about these things it sent a chill through me. The whole idea of this kind of law enforcement is....are you ready for it?

Unamerican!

This is also why Bush & CO. has to go.

OUT THE DOOR IN 2004!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
What a blatant lie.

Here's a list of 66 other people who voted against it.

62 Democrats
3 Republicans
1 Independent

Not a lie... that was the vote from the senate.
Your list of 66 NO votes is from the House of Reps.
Little bit different.
post #22 of 40
Bottom line is the patriot act needs to be repealed and all those police state govt orginazations should be doing a better job going after bad guys. who let these bastards in the country? who let them on planes with box cutters after alarms were set off. who isnt looking for groups of arabs? scarborough country had a explicit example of arabs scouting a plane and this was after 911. everyone of these guys was let go yet every one of them had expired visa's but the idiots who interegated them didnt look at the expiration dates. I have no faith in this silly and almost useless police state bush is pushing nor the plethera of law enforcement agencies we have. Its just easier to make us all guilty and take off our shoes when bording a plane and yet Mexico is still wide open and idiot Bush wants to give illegals valid driver license and do nothing about that border. Vote his Keaster out! Disclaimer.... i voted for Bush 4 years ago(sorry) not this time. i think the sun was in my eyes that day and got confused. yeah yeah thats the ticket.\
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindeman
Not a lie... that was the vote from the senate.
Your list of 66 NO votes is from the House of Reps.
Little bit different.

No, it's not different.

It was claimed that only one person voted against the Patriot Act. Which is not the case. It was never specified that only one SENATOR voted no. So Existence was correct is refuting that claim.

post #24 of 40
Then there's the Department of Homeland Security beating up innocent women (I know it's old news, but I don't think it's been discussed here).

First of all, isn't the DHS supposed to be fighting terrorism? Since when are they donig the job of the DEA?

Secondly, since when do they have the right to assault anyone, including suspected drug traffickers?

Third, don't they have to conduct a reasonable identity check before kicking a woman in the face?

This is all Rumsfeld. Pure Rumsfeld. The US has become a cess pool of self-protective xenophobic violence and it reeks.
post #25 of 40
Christ if it took 3 years of investigation (=wasted tax payers money) to take down a fucking Stargate SG1 fan website then were never gonna find Osama Bin Laden. He's sitting in a cave somewhere laughing his ass off at how a law set up to supposedly locate Al Qaida funding was used to shut down some dorky Stargate SG1 nut from trademark infringment. at this rate were all gonna bite the big one.
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Then there's the Department of Homeland Security beating up innocent women (I know it's old news, but I don't think it's been discussed here).

First of all, isn't the DHS supposed to be fighting terrorism? Since when are they donig the job of the DEA?

Secondly, since when do they have the right to assault anyone, including suspected drug traffickers?

Third, don't they have to conduct a reasonable identity check before kicking a woman in the face?

This is all Rumsfeld. Pure Rumsfeld. The US has become a cess pool of self-protective xenophobic violence and it reeks.

Do you have a link for this? Smells like more bullshit I'll have to kick into the gutter.
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Do you have a link for this? Smells like more bullshit I'll have to kick into the gutter.

No doubt you'll think it's made up. It doesn't paint a pretty picture.

But there's plenty of press on it.

Newsday was the first local press to pick up the AP story. True to the new "free press" form, American press has apparently been too afraid to pick this one up.
You can take your pick of articles following this case (sorted by date).
post #28 of 40
Welcome binary Scott!!!

This has to be your dumbest post since, oh wait, your last post. Xinhua is really in the business of making stuff up. That's why they're at the top at Google News almost every day. In fact they were when I checked just now. Here. An example.
http://news.google.com/url?ntc=0M0B0...nt_1672537.htm

news.google.com Check it.

Here is the story elsewhere.

http://english.people.com.cn/200407/...27_150963.html

Scott, grab yourself a fork and knife and get started on the crow.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #29 of 40
So it was just a case of an individual make a gross error. Not the systematic Ashkkkroft ordered beating that tonton insinuates.
post #30 of 40
Quote:
So it was just a case of an individual make a gross error. Not the systematic Ashkkkroft ordered beating that tonton insinuates.

I insinuated no such thing. I suggested that Ashcroft and Rumsfeld's example as set through policy, both explicit and implied, has set a precedent for abuse. Let me put it another way. Lots of people around the country have developed the type of fear and hatred for others, be they of a different race, religion or even political ideology, that "Common Man" shows in these forums, and Ashcroft and Rummy are part of the reason why.
post #31 of 40
But don't ignore my first question:

Why is the DHS taking up the responsibilities of the DEA?

And shouldn't this thread be in PO?
post #32 of 40
That is absolutely pathetic. It's stuff like this that makes me cry.

Well, not really cry, but you get the idea. Nationalism is a plauge worse than cancer.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
I agree and is a major reason we should vote out the throw away everyones rights Bush Administration. we were founded on freedom and libertys and giving any segment of govt more power is a big mistake. it will and has been abused. Nothing at all patriot in it. instead of closing borders and looking for arab looking folks coming into the country it was easier just to strip everyones freedoms. B.S by the saddest adminisration since Carter. I urge everyone to get registered to vote lets just hope they count your vote unlike all those ballots in Florida.

I second that. Lets hope the Florida voting admin won't get bought out and corrupted again...
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Yeah but Feingold still rocks and three years to investigate a Fan based Website is still absurd.

Why exactly does Feingold "rock?"
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #35 of 40
This is being moved to Political Outsider.
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by hypoluxa
I second that. Lets hope the Florida voting admin won't get bought out and corrupted again...

Right...the FL administration who FOLLOWED THE LAW, only to see it rewritten by the liberal activist FL supereme court? Yes, they're corrupt.

The FL admin. who believed that the legislature of FL had th right choose electors as prescribed by the US Constitution?

The FL admin. who believed that because of the media calling the state early, thousands of Bush voters got out of line? The one that believed this cost Bush as mnay as 10,000 votes, and perhaps 2,000,000 nationwide?

The admin. who wouldn't accept a butterfly ballot controversy because said ballot was created by a Democratic canvassing board and published in the paper for objections weeks before the election?

The administration would took issue with the firm Telequest being contracted by the Democrats to cold call voters who used the above ballot and conducted a push poll?

The administration who saw its chirf elections officer smeared by a campaign directed by Gore himself?

That FL administration?

post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
Why exactly does Feingold "rock?"

He's intelligent, well spoken and thoughtful . . . and that is just some of it . . . but more than can be said of nearly anybody else in his position.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #38 of 40
Quote:
it was later revealed that the FBI invoked a provision of the USA Patriot Act to obtain financial records from his ISP.

Huh??
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
I insinuated no such thing. I suggested that Ashcroft and Rumsfeld's example as set through policy, both explicit and implied, has set a precedent for abuse. Let me put it another way. Lots of people around the country have developed the type of fear and hatred for others, be they of a different race, religion or even political ideology, that "Common Man" shows in these forums, and Ashcroft and Rummy are part of the reason why.

I see. It's all some sort of grand mind control.
post #40 of 40
Quote:
I see. It's all some sort of grand mind control.

Your reading comprehension sucks. Or you're just selectively ignorant.

"Ashcroft and Rumsfeld's example as set through policy, both explicit and implied, has set a precedent for abuse."

Mind control? I can see it's been effective in your case.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Fan Website busted using Patriot Act