or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › DNC General Discussion

DNC General Discussion

post #1 of 262
Glenn Close is speaking now.

Spouting the usual clichés about "never forgetting" and "unspeakable tragedy," but she managed to spin her short speech into a positive message about humanity-- not just Americans.

Arab-American woman speaking now.

Spouting the usual clichés about "everything changing," but still a pretty touching speech about solidarity and community.

Ha!

Someone is literally playing a violin now. Oh this is too good...

Judy, Jeff, and Wolf yakking it up.

Ah the punditry just threw the Democrats a bone. Apparently, the Clintons aren't speaking necessarily for themselves, but for the Democratic Party. Makes me wonder about all those other times they speak.

Why is CNN quoting Drudge?

Hillary time: political polarity ensues across the nation, but that room sure lit up.

Peace, promise, and prosperity. Nicely alliterative slogan. Hardly original.

Safer and more secure future.

Lead the world, not alienate it.

HA!

"I know a thing or two about health care"
post #2 of 262
Billy still is a pretty good speaker
post #3 of 262
Clinton rocks the house. I forgot that presidents used to be able to speak English.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #4 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
Clinton rocks the house. I forgot that presidents used to be able to speak English.

kind of makes you wonder how much he'd win by if he were running this time around
post #5 of 262
That was... beautiful.
post #6 of 262
I just caught the end of his speech!

He is good . . . .
Is it just me or was the reaction of the audience a little subdued?
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #7 of 262
If only Kerry could speak like Clinton.......
post #8 of 262
The big dog still has it.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #9 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by trick fall
If only Kerry could speak like Clinton.......

Que Edwards. He should colour his hair grey and he is halfways there.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #10 of 262
Seems like hell froze over when Joe Scarborough said, "I'd sleep well at night, even though I disagree with 90% of what he says, with Kerry as President".

Coming from Joe, that's a hell of a statement.
post #11 of 262
How much more interesting would it be if they actually picked the nominees at these things. It would make for great tv.
post #12 of 262
Yes, these conventions are largely cliche fests anymore. It's unfortunate.

But Bill Clinton did give yet another excellent speech. I'm glad I caught that part of it.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #13 of 262
Bill's transcript

the best part: (condensed to fit in my away message)
Quote:
Democrats and Republicans have very different and honestly held ideas on that choices we should make...Democrats want to build an America of shared responsibilities and shared opportunities and more global cooperation, acting alone only when we must...Republicans believe in an America run by the right people, their people, in a world in which we act unilaterally when we can, and cooperate when we have to. They think the role of government is to concentrate wealth and power in the hands of those who embrace their political, economic, and social views, leaving ordinary citizens to fend for themselves on matters like health care and retirement security...they have to portray us Democrats as unacceptable, lacking in strength and values. In other words, [the Republicans] need a divided America.
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #14 of 262
Transcript of Bill Clinton's speech now up.

My favorite part succinctly and intelligently summarizes the differences between the two parties (not simply or ignorantly accuses anyone of "hating freedom" or "hating america."):

"We Americans must choose for President one of two strong men who both love our country, but who have very different worldviews: Democrats favor shared responsibility, shared opportunity, and more global cooperation. Republicans favor concentrated wealth and power, leaving people to fend for themselves and more unilateral action. I think were right for two reasons: First, America works better when all people have a chance to live their dreams._ Second, we live in an interdependent world in which we cant kill, jail, or occupy all our potential adversaries, so we have to both fight terror and build a world with more partners and fewer terrorists._ We tried it their way for twelve years, our way for eight, and then their way for four more._"

also:

"Here is what I know about John Kerry. During the Vietnam War, many young menincluding the current president, the vice president and mecould have gone to Vietnam but didnt. John Kerry came from a privileged background and could have avoided it too._ Instead he said, send me."
post #15 of 262
As much as I despised Clinton, I'll hand it to the old dog. He could/can talk a nun out of her knickers if he put his mind on it. It all boils down to the definition of is.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #16 of 262
I know. It's almost a tragedy, that he can't keep it in his pants.

Imagine how popular he would have been without that stupid scandal.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #17 of 262
post #18 of 262
Al Gore's Speech > Bill Clinton's speech. And talk about subtextual Fruedian slips--Bill Clinton was yelling at the convention "Send me!" towards the end.

FYI, Dean is speaking tonight at 7:40 EST.

www.democracyforamerica.com
post #19 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by faust9
As much as I despised Clinton, I'll hand it to the old dog. He could/can talk a nun out of her knickers if he put his mind on it. It all boils down to the definition of is.

clinton is a smooth one, that's for sure. another very good speech by a master communicator. he and ronnie are/where the kings of their craft.
post #20 of 262
A festival of charlatans.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #21 of 262
Great speech. Clinton is the master orator.

And it had the sincerity of the john saying to the whore: "I love you".
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #22 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man

the charlatans where playing, i thought they broke up?
post #23 of 262
Ann Coulter's take. Some choice quotes:
Quote:
Here at the Spawn of Satan convention in Boston, conservatives are deploying a series of covert signals to identify one another, much like gay men do. My allies are the ones wearing crosses or American flags. The people sporting shirts emblazoned with the "F-word" are my opponents. Also, as always, the pretty girls and cops are on my side, most of them barely able to conceal their eye-rolling.

Quote:
As for the pretty girls, I can only guess that its because liberal boys never try to make a move on you without the UN Security Council's approval. Plus, its no fun riding around in those dinky little hybrid cars. My pretty-girl allies stick out like a sore thumb amongst the corn-fed, no make-up, natural fiber, no-bra needing, sandal-wearing, hirsute, somewhat fragrant hippie chick pie wagons they call "women" at the Democratic National Convention.

post #24 of 262
Quote:

Hey that's a big word! Did you go on www.thesaurus.com to find it?
post #25 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ

The condescension and vile misogyny of the previous 4 posts do not belong in this thread. Let's move on.

my gut reaction is to say "unclinch your sphincter and get over yourself shawn". but first, i need to go look up those big words in your post, just to be sure.
post #26 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by running with scissors
my gut reaction is to say "unclinch your sphincter and get over yourself shawn". but first, i need to go look up those big words in your post, just to be sure.

yep, i thought so. i'll go with my gut.
post #27 of 262
BARAK OBAMA TONIGHT.

SHOULD BE GOOD!

post #28 of 262
George Bush was at the convention listening to speeches and picking his favorites.
post #29 of 262
I cleaned this up for a reason. Lets make an effort to let this threads stay open m´kay?
post #30 of 262
Correction. Howard Dean speaking at 9 PM EST.

www.democracyforamerica.com
post #31 of 262
Did anyone catch ted kennedy's speach? I and all of the people in the room think he something about the soldiers being "false patriots" Surely I am takeing this out of context, did he really say that? I really hope I heard wrong.

Splash,
A_Greer
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #32 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Did anyone catch ted kennedy's speach? I and all of the people in the room think he something about the soldiers being "false patriots" Surely I am takeing this out of context, did he really say that? I really hope I heard wrong.

Splash,
A_Greer

Of course you heard wrong. Do you actually think that Kennedy would stand up at the Democratic Convention and disparage soldiers?

He was referring to members of the Republican party who would use "patriotism" as a wedge issue.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #33 of 262
WHY IS EVERYONE SHOUTING THEIR SPEECHES?
post #34 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
WHY IS EVERYONE SHOUTING THEIR SPEECHES?

THAT AIN'T SHOUTIN', THAT THERE'S SPEECHIFYIN'!
post #35 of 262
Well Howie just came on - let's all hope he doesn't shout.

[edit] People were going crazy for Dean. Then they showed Terry McAuliffe, and he was kind of half-heartedly clapping, looking around, kind of hoping no one saw him.

[edit 2] Watching him makes me feel bad. Even though I wouldn't have voted for him in the primaries, he really should have won. He probably represents Democrats better than any of the other candidates, and he ran a great campaign. Oh well.
post #36 of 262
I find it interesting Bill O'reileys interview with Michael Moore at the convention. Bill who has no children that im aware says he would sacrifice his kids in fallujah when Michael Moore asked him while Moore would not. now who is the frickin Zealot? and this is after finding out there wasnt no WMDs. No spin Bill lost lots of points with me after that very stupid remark. its easy to send someone else kids to die for a lost cause. truely amazing and yet another reason to vote against George and the zealots. lets see he and Cheney avoided vietnam interesting isnt it.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #37 of 262
I don't see why people are so wild about Obama. He's a DLC Clinton-Lieberman Democrat. His sort of politics is the reason why we're in Iraq, why the Patriot Act exists and why the Democrats lost so badly in 2002.

I hope he doesnt become the "rising star" the media is labeling him. That would be a disaster to the marginalized and working people of this country and another presidential election I'll be voting Green.
post #38 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
I don't see why people are so wild about Obama. He's a DLC Clinton-Lieberman Democrat. His sort of politics is the reason why we're in Iraq, why the Patriot Act exists and why the Democrats lost so badly in 2002.

I hope he doesnt become the "rising star" the media is labeling him. That would be a disaster to the marginalized and working people of this country and another presidential election I'll be voting Green.

he just annoyed me.
post #39 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence

Can you be more specific?
post #40 of 262
FWIW, the transcript of the Kennedy speech is up. Here's the passage that
a__greer managed to hear as calling soldiers "false patriots":

Quote:
We hear echoes of past battles in the quiet whisper of the sweetheart deal, in the hushed promise of a better break for the better connected. We hear them in the cries of the false patriots who bully dissenters into silence and submission. These are familiar fights. We've fought and won them before. And with John Kerry and John Edwards leading us, we will win them again and make America stronger at home and respected once more in the world.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › DNC General Discussion