or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › DNC General Discussion

DNC General Discussion - Page 2

post #41 of 262
Obama was a fantastic speaker and what a speech. I think that he equals at being as great a speaker as Clinton. This bit of his speech was truely inspiring:

"Yet even as we speek, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters, and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal Amercan and a conservative America -- there's the United States of America. There's not a black America and a white America -- there's the United States of America. The pundits like to slice-and-dice our country into Red States and Blue States [...] but I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the Blue States and have gay friends in the Red States. There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and patriots who supported it. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America."

Jeepers!
post #42 of 262
Obama is widely regarded as a rising star in the party, and it was easy to see why tonight.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #43 of 262
OMG. I absolutely love Teresa Heinz Kerry. I wish she was born in this country so she could run for president.

Teresa Hienz Kerry > all
post #44 of 262
I love Barrack Obama.

That man gave me goosebumps.

Wow. Illinois is a lucky state.
proud resident of a failed state
post #45 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
Bill who has no children that im aware says he would sacrifice his kids in fallujah when Michael Moore asked him while Moore would not. now who is the frickin Zealot?

O'Reilly never said that. I hesitate to "defend" him, but in actuality he said he'd sacrifice himself to defend Falluja, but never answered Moore's direct question as to wether or not O'Reilly would sacrifice his child.

post #46 of 262
the resonating theme for the democrats seems to be "the G.O.P. is trying to divide the country".
good strategy if they can get the message across.
post #47 of 262
Teresa did well. I worry about what's going to happen when she's not giving a pre-written speech though. You just can't have any quirky spontaneity in American politics.
post #48 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar
the resonating theme for the democrats seems to be "the G.O.P. is trying to divide the country".

It's not a bad strategy, but one could argue that claiming your opponent is trying to divide people is in itself divisive.

post #49 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Teresa did well. I worry about what's going to happen when she's not giving a pre-written speech though. You just can't have any quirky spontaneity in American politics.

Maybe not quirky spontaneity, but spontaneity can be good. Bush often looks far better speaking off the cuff than he does scripted.

post #50 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by rageous
It's not a bad strategy, but one could argue that claiming your opponent is trying to divide people is in itself divisive.

that's just it, they aren't attacking president bush as much as they are attacking the mindset of the republican party. clinton last night was brilliant, his criticism of bush's military record included himself......brilliant.

one more thing about Obama, you understand now why no republican wants a part of him in november.
post #51 of 262
skmdc, are you voting for Obama in November?
post #52 of 262
Quote:

That sounds like the old "insensitivity to insensitivity" charge.

Edit: Not saying you're making the "divisive is divisive" charge-- just if someone hypothetically does-- it sounds similar. Both are true- but are not in the same spirit as the original charge. Unless the opposition really isn't trying to divide Americans...
post #53 of 262
Can someone link me up to the Obama audio or video?
I want to save that one.
post #54 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
That sounds like the old "insensitivity to insensitivity" charge.

I'm not making any charge, just playing devil's advocate.

post #55 of 262
Quote:

Definitely. Kerry would be smart to pick a diverse cabinet. It would be easy to tell the difference then between him and Bush & the Good Ol' Boys Club without even listening to a word from either. Bush = fat ol' white guys, Kerry = diverse. Too bad there isn't room for Obama.
I'll look in to Obama, Existence, but why the hell are you hatin' on him? His speech was fantastic! He is going places and it would definitely suck to be his opponent in Illinois. He'll steamroll 'em. His speech was really inspiring and inclusive. Man was that guy good. There's just something about the way he talks that's insightful and intellectual and yet fireside friendly, like he'd tell you the exact same thing in a bar.

I liked Ronald Reagan's too. Didn't get to see Dean or Clinton because of freaking work till 9:30 PM.

TerEEza was interesting but is that the Botox or what that makes her talk like she has an egg in her mouth? She sounds like she's about to go to sleep, maybe that's the anesthesia kicking in! Ah well I liked her very calm and casual demeanor. Women will like her.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #56 of 262
http://www.c-span.org/

Catch the speeches you missed there. So far the only worthwhile ones to watch are Clinton's and Obama's (I am capping them to save for posterity, I think it is tragic that we have so much access to history yet we do so little to capture it).
post #57 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Definitely. Kerry would be smart to pick a diverse cabinet. It would be easy to tell the difference then between him and Bush & the Good Ol' Boys Club without even listening to a word from either. Bush = fat ol' white guys, Kerry = diverse.

Bush has done a pretty good job in appointing minorities to high level positions. There's always room for improvement, but I'm not so sure the "Fat Ol' White Guys" label is very accurate...

post #58 of 262
Condi and Powell are neither fat nor white, and even though I abhor the Bush administration I think calling them "white" or "uncle Toms" is the worst kind of racism. It is bullshit.

Bush made a great decision in dragging Powell into his cabinet by his ear. It's just too bad he's been nothing more than a puppet this entire 4 years.
post #59 of 262
Quote:

It'll be refreshing compared to Bush's speaking abilities...

I'm starting a "Bob Newhart"-like drinking game where you take a drink every time Bush grasps for "strong" as an adjective (often preceded by a painfully dumb sounding "uhhh"). Bonus is "strong leader", take 2 swigs.

It's endless...

Quote:

Governors are strong leaders with a practical point of view, and I'm really grateful for my former fellow governors for serving their country.

He is one of the world's strongest leaders when it comes to our mutual concerns about keeping the peace and fighting terror.

He is a strong leader for Hungary. He is a strong ally for the United States. More importantly, he is a strong visionary for free and peaceful societies.

As you know, I'm going to Ireland to visit with the leadership of the EU and I want to thank you for giving me a good, strong briefing on the EU.

I appreciated your very strong statement on behalf of the Hungarian people.

You're a good, strong leader and a good friend.

And the United States will not be intimidated by these people because we believe strongly in freedom and liberty and human rights and human dignity, freedom to worship as you see fit, freedom to speak your mind.

Relations between Hungary and the United States are strong.

It's my honor to welcome my friend and a strong leader, the Prime Minister of Japan, to Sea Island, Georgia.

He's a strong leader who cares deeply about the people of his country and understands the issues that we face.

He's strong. He's resolute. He served his nation as the director for seven years. He has been a strong and able leader at the agency. He's been a -- he's been a strong leader in the war on terror.

Dr. Allawi is a strong leader.

Incredibly wise words from a strong leader.

He is a strong leader and a good friend, and we will miss his experience and sense of humor.

She is a superb legislator and a strong leader who has stood for the best of Washington state's values and who has improved the lives of its people.

On and on and on

Being called a strong leader by him now is as empty a title as "humanoid" might be.
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
"The Roots of Violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics...
post #60 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
Bush made a great decision in dragging Powell into his cabinet by his ear. It's just too bad he's been nothing more than a puppet this entire 4 years.

Indeed. Things would be far different if he were listened to.

post #61 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Definitely. Kerry would be smart to pick a diverse cabinet.

Powell for Secretary of Defense?
Now THAT would be a brave move indeed.
post #62 of 262
Quote:
Condi and Powell are neither fat nor white, and even though I abhor the Bush administration I think calling them "white" or "uncle Toms" is the worst kind of racism. It is bullshit.

Bullshit. Condi is as white as they come. And Powell has simply kept his promise to keep his mouth shut.
post #63 of 262
Quote:

How about simply dunce and weasel? Sorry everyone, didn't mean to derail the thread.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #64 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Condi is as white as they come.

What does that mean?
post #65 of 262
He doesn't know what the hell it means, because it is completely meaningless. It is nothing more than racist baiting.
post #66 of 262
Quote:
What does that mean?

I'm talking metaphorically. She is a 100% neoconservative nutjob who will vehemently defend any and all actions taken by the Bush "old boy's club". If we look at her comments, performance and actions, without knowing her race or gender, she would perfectly fit the new America white male stereotype.
post #67 of 262
But aren't your comments more class oriented than race oriented?
post #68 of 262
I've got a question-- is this actually the Democratic party? I mean, they seem to be staying on message and presenting an appealingly united front and anyone watching might be forgiven for believing they have coherent world view backed up by strategy.

And we all know that the Dems are famously fractious and undisciplined and oddly accommodating to some of their least domesticated voices.....

So who stole all the Democrats and put these orderly folk in their place?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #69 of 262
I think what tonton is trying to say is that Condi Rice is a race traitor, a fairly well-defined term in academia. Here are some links:

http://www.blackcommentator.com/26/26_commentary.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...94436?v=glance
http://www.manningmarable.net/works/sept02b.html

Some other examples of race traitors: Colin Powell, Rod Paige and Bill Cosby.
post #70 of 262
Quote:
I'm talking metaphorically. She is a 100% neoconservative nutjob who will vehemently defend any and all actions taken by the Bush "old boy's club". If we look at her comments, performance and actions, without knowing her race or gender, she would perfectly fit the new America white male stereotype.

With all due respect, only an idiot believes they can ascertain the race and gender of an individual by reading statements they made or examining actions they've taken.

This idea may be lost on you, but perhaps it is a good thing that a black female has conservative views. Just as it's good that there are men who supported women's suffrage and white's who supported the abolition of slavery. Not that I feel the current conservative agenda is as noble as the examples I provided, my point is to show that people transcending gender and race issues is usually good.

I mean seriously, your statement sounds exactly like those of the Mississippi segregationists who said "any white person who supports niggers ain't nothing but a nigger". They are equally preposterous. And I hope this post doesn't get edited, because it's a fair point.

post #71 of 262
I think you should all lay off of the 'Condi is white' b*****it!
It is retrograde, dated, and Groverat is right, it is racist as well.

Get beyond that kind of lame politicking

anyway,

Did anybody see Koppel interview Michael Moore?

I think that Michael Moore is where the fractiousness is. He said that he represents the majority of the Democratic people then went on to say that he would pull out of Iraq . . . I think that it is unfortunate that Koppel seemed to spotlight him while in the middle of the convention . . . it seemed alomost as if MM WAS speeking for teh Democrats . . . which I think ended up giving a overly simplistic perspective and probably hurt the perception from the perspective of thse that the DNC are trying so hard to woo with this semi-unified and civil convention: swing voters

But, with that said MMoore said some great things
At the end of the interview the two got into a sharp tongued swap of cynical jabs where Koppel tried to parody Moore's 'good ole-American' perspective with a sarcastic tone, but Moore came right back and pushed up a notch . . . Moore was quick witted and did not stumble when Koppel tried to make him seem foolish . . . Moore had the final laugh . . . I think that it showed that he has learned alot about dealing with the cynical eye of urbane media.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #72 of 262
Rice is down with the Shrubbery. No love for her.

Colin on the other hand, clearly has ideological difference with most of the other power players in the Bush administration. I'm not sure whether to laud him for helping them retain a semblence of respectability in the presentation of their politics or to chastise him for letting them bitchslap him around for four years in terms of policy. I suppose I'll miss the guy if we get a Shrubbery sequel since Powell's pretty much indicated that he won't be appearing on the 2005 remix album. Ah well, we're all fucked anyway.
post #73 of 262
Quote:
Bullshit. Condi is as white as they come. And Powell has simply kept his promise to keep his mouth shut.

tonton you can do better

moving along, Obama is amazing in skill and tact and will be President one day.

Obama is a leader who uses the strengths of unity and inspiration to lead.

Fellowship
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #74 of 262
Wow.

John Nichols of The Nation reports that the Democratic Party platform drops support of death penalty. That's significant.
post #75 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Wow.

John Nichols of The Nation reports that the Democratic Party platform drops support of death penalty. That's significant.

That is great news..

The Death Penalty is wrong period.

Fellowship

post #76 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
That is great news..

The Death Penalty is wrong period.

Fellowship

I think you mean "The Death Penalty is wrong in my opinion"

I have a friend whose fiancee was butchered years ago that would vehemently disagree with you.

post #77 of 262
Anybody notice that Anne Coulter got cut (basically 'fired') from reporting the Convention for USA Today?

What were they thinking anyway?! . . . this woman lamented that Timothy McVie didn't blow up the New York Times building!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #78 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Anybody notice that Anne Coulter got cut (basically 'fired') from reporting the Convention for USA Today?

Good riddance. She is a one note song. Why anyone would choose someone like that to reflect upon anything of importance is beyond me.

post #79 of 262
Quote:
I think you mean "The Death Penalty is wrong in my opinion"

I have a friend whose fiancee was butchered years ago that would vehemently disagree with you.

Pardon my mistake.

Killing another human being does not make a wrong balanced and just once again. This is my opinion.

One wrong is one wrong too many. Two wrongs is insane and mad. This is my opinion.

Fellowship

post #80 of 262
Quote:
Originally posted by Fellowship
Pardon my mistake.

Killing another human being does not make a wrong balanced and just once again. This is my opinion.

One wrong is one wrong too many. Two wrongs is insane and mad. This is my opinion.

Fellowship

No need to get snippy. But when saying "it's wrong period." you are insinuating that any opinion to the contrary is also wrong. I think both sides have compelling arguments to make and that it's tough to label either as right or wrong.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › DNC General Discussion