or Connect

Drudge

post #1 of 33
I try and visit a lot of blogs and Online news sources daily. Drudge is one of them.

Has anyone else noticed that for the last several days (some could argue weeks) his site has featured story links and Drudge exclusives that have been nothing but 100% Democratic slams?

Because he's the number one home page destination for news portals, it makes me wonder how his obvious conservative slant affects opinion. Will he equally as skewering to Republicans during their convention? Will there be a complete and utter lack of negative Bush story links? Will he only put up a negative article or two during Bush's convention as a token to fairness?

I think not. His disdain for all things democratic are becoming objectionable to the point of boycott for me. As of today, I have deleted the Drudge bookmark.

Which brings up a bigger discussion. I have no choice but avoid almost all TV news. I used to watch a fair amount of CNN, Fox and MSNBC. At this point I no longer watch a single minute of Fox or CNN. I can barely watch MSNBC. At this point, all they do is repeat GOP talking points verbatim. Because there is little to no media machine working at the DNC, little to no liberal voice is heard in the news media anymore.

I laugh every time I hear a conservative whine and complain about the so-called liberal media. Shit. If there is one, WHERE IS IT? I sure would like one because my side could use a little of the same help the media's been handing over to the Republicans for over a decade now.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2 of 33
I was at the gym and was turning the TV to a news station . . . I chose MSNBC because I didn't want to watch Fox . . . some woman said, 'what MSNBC?' and I asked her if mmy joice was some sort of political liability . . . she basically then said that it was left-wing propaganda and that I was the only person who would want to watch such garbage . . . I had said that all of the media was middle-right then she made some flippant gesture and turned the other TV, way to her right, to FOX . . .and since she was in front of me on a treadmill she would make a big show of craning her head to watch the FOX station!!!

These people actually believe this stuff!!!
MSNBC has been, like all mainstream news sources, pushed so far right by the eye-candy infotainment style of FOX and Rush and yet it isn't far enough for these people . . . In a reasonable world I would expect even people of a conservative bent to disdain sources that mask thier bias when they are so extremely biased . . . after all there is a name for that kind of near psychiological manipulation, its called propganda and disinformation.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
I was at the gym and was turning the TV to a news station . . . I chose MSNBC because I didn't want to watch Fox . . . some woman said, 'what MSNBC?' and I asked her if mmy joice was some sort of political liability . . . she basically then said that it was left-wing propaganda and that I was the only person who would want to watch such garbage . . . I had said that all of the media was middle-right then she made some flippant gesture and turned the other TV, way to her right, to FOX . . .and since she was in front of me on a treadmill she would make a big show of craning her head to watch the FOX station!!!

These people actually believe this stuff!!!
MSNBC has been, like all mainstream news sources, pushed so far right by the eye-candy infotainment style of FOX and Rush and yet it isn't far enough for these people . . . In a reasonable world I would expect even people of a conservative bent to disdain sources that mask thier bias when they are so extremely biased . . . after all there is a name for that kind of near psychiological manipolation, its called propganda and disinformation.

pfflam, I think that's a bit unreasonable. You absolutely cannot deny the liberal bias of the TV networks. Cable news is a bit more conservative to be sure. Yes, Fox News news is obviously a conservative network. That being said, I rarely see them being unfairly conservative.

As for Drudge, well I don't see that he is charged with being impartial. It's a conservative site, and you've got to accept that. It would be like me complaining about Salon.com not being balanced. Granted, Drudge links to major news stories. However, a lot of the stuff he's posted is pretty eye-opening. It is what it is.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #4 of 33
Quote:
You absolutely cannot deny the liberal bias of the TV networks.

You mean the "George Bush is the president, he makes the decisions and, you know, as just one American, [if] he wants me to line up, just tell me where," TV anchormen?

The TV networks that do not air any footage of American deaths in Iraq?
The TV networks that do not show bin Laden's tapes?

The TV networks that marched unquestining in line behind Bush as he lied his way to war.

Sorry, SDW, that lie set sail long ago.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #5 of 33
I've always found Drudge to be a handy source both for quick info on breaking news and the kind of odd items that you want fire off to someone in an email after reading them. It's news lite and works well on the web (particularly for work surfers). It's not like he doesn't wear his politics on his sleeve, despite his claims to impartiality (then again, he also claims that he's straight), so I always know what kind of a slant to expect from him.

He definitely has been going a bit overboard during the DNC though. One thing I had noticed is that he seems to post the most unflattering pictures of Kerry / Edwards he can find, yet keeps pushing that BW photo of a young George W in uniform. The speculation about Kerry's Vietnam footage being staged seems a little off as well. If there is anything to it I expect we'll hear all about it in the weeks to come.

The main problem with Drudge (or a comparable left-leaning news blog such as Buzzflash) is that they are not accountable for their hyperbole, errors, lies or misstatements.
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
pfflam, I think that's a bit unreasonable. You absolutely cannot deny the liberal bias of the TV networks. Cable news is a bit more conservative to be sure. Yes, Fox News news is obviously a conservative network. That being said, I rarely see them being unfairly conservative.

As for Drudge, well I don't see that he is charged with being impartial. It's a conservative site, and you've got to accept that. It would be like me complaining about Salon.com not being balanced. Granted, Drudge links to major news stories. However, a lot of the stuff he's posted is pretty eye-opening. It is what it is.

Here you go again with this fallacy. I still maintain if there's any bias it's for themselves and what will bring them ratings. Look if what you say was true maybe they're liberal for a good reason.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #7 of 33
Take a look at Drudge's home page today for yet another perfect example of what I'm talking about. Yet millions of Americans have no idea Drudge is a GOP shill.

I don't know if conservatives truly believe their repeated claim that network news is overwhelmingly liberal because of their own personal experience; or if it's because they've been repeating the charge so often and for so long that they ultimately don't know the difference.

Look, I'm unabashedly liberal. I crave fairness and balance on the news, whether it be network or cable. But, quite frankly it's far from balanced. Yet all I ever hear is that Fox is the counterweight to CNN. Really? Man oh man I wish CNN was as liberal as Fox is conservative. I truly wish that were true. But its far from it.

We can argue all day about whether there are equal numbers of blogs, webzines and Online trades representing both sides. But most Americans get their news from television. And like I used to be, before I took the red pill, I accepted everything they reported as factual. I never realized that politics would permeate the news so thoroughly as it does today. Now, with the blinders off, I realize the news if fact-esque: Bush bashing, Dean is angry, march to war, Sandy Berger gets all the news cycles but not a peep about DeLays mess, and on and on and on...

Republicans charge unfair Bush bashing and the networks repeated the charge without question. Of course there was NO Clinton bashing in 2000 was there? As if restoring honor and integrity wasnt the ultimate Clinton bash. But Republicans never got charged with "hate" and the news didnt repeat, ad nausea, that Republicans were hateful like they do to Democrats today. This is all heavily perpetuated by the news media. They take everything Democrats say skeptically, yet repeat GOP talking points with glee. All of them. Every single television news show or channel.

So yes I want and CRAVE a liberal television news outlet other than The Daily Show.
post #8 of 33
Here's a prime example of how Republicans have mastered media manipulation while Democrats sit around sucking their thumb...

Matt Stoller wonders why Ed Gillespie and the Right Wing Noise Machine are allowed to use the Fleet Center for their propaganda operation.

Quote:
As I saw the magnificent machine that transmitted the GOP message to much of the country with a bit of walking and talking by Ed Gillespie, I realized that a great deal of convention organizing went towards helping Gillespie do this. The Democrats, in lowering the costs of coordination, allowed the RNC head to touch a huge number of local stations even more quickly and easily than usual.

First of all, this means that the Republicans have a parallel and better scheduling operation for their leaders to get media than the Democrats do ... at the Democratic National Convention. Second of all, it means that Gillespie got into the building and walked around, exploiting the communications infrastructure the Democrats set up. Third, these guys know why they are here, and no one else except the Kerry campaign does. This is about message for them. They aren't part of the media, they are part of the Bush reelection campaign. And as a result, they are looking at this Convention just like the Kerry campaign is - as an opportunity to generate and propagate prepackaged message.

I don't begrudge Republicans for having a propaganda machine, even if I wonder why Gillespie is allowed access into the Fleet Center. And who will we use to broadcast out of the RNC convention?

No one. We have no way to answer.

Incidentally, the RNC apparently has sent out press passes to credentialled bloggers. They promised no ideological discrimination. So which liberal bloggers have been credentialled?

Unapologetically swiped from Kos
post #9 of 33
I realize I'm talking to an empty room here...but this is a perfect example of "what liberal media?"...

Hmmm, I think the AP is calling CNN a bunch of liars. _Take a look at the emphasis in these 2 stories on Fahrenheit 9/11's screening in Crawford last night. _And then tell me again why CNN is considered "Liberal Media". _From the AP Version.

Quote:
They were among more than 3,000 people - three times more than originally expected - who sat on lawn chairs, pillows or blankets Wednesday night, soaking in Michael Moore's film that lambasts Bush's decision to go to war with Iraq and his handling of the 2001 terrorist attacks....

Carol Bernhard and several friends came from Austin and held a huge sign proclaiming "This is Bush Country." She said she didn't plan to see the movie: "I'm not going to give that traitor any of my money."

After more than 300 people attended a pro-Bush rally earlier Wednesday night, many spilled out of the building and gathered on Main Street holding signs praising Bush and criticizing Moore.

Ok, so the AP leads with how 3000 people showed up to see the film, and there were about 1/10th as many protestors there who were mentioned later in the Article. _Now let's look at how CNN portrayed it.

Quote:
Hundreds of people descended on this one-stoplight town a few miles from President Bush's ranch Wednesday night -- some to show their support and some to see a documentary criticizing his administration.

Carloads of people cruised down Main Street with many holding pro-Bush signs out their windows, passing by a building where more than 300 Bush supporters spilled out of a rally. Some yelled their disdain as cars carrying moviegoers turned down the road leading to the parking lot where filmmaker Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" was shown to a crowd of about 1,000 people.

"While we certainly do not agree with Michael Moore ... we do agree that it is important that we protect the right to be on a dissenting side of an issue," state Rep. Arlene Wohlgemuth said at the rally. She is the GOP congressional candidate for the 17th district, which includes Crawford.

The AP leads with stories about the people coming to see the film, how far they came, how their numbers exceeded expectations, and then later goes into the numbers on the badly outnumbered protesters. _CNN on the other hand, leads with the outnumbered protestors and suggests that they were the real story. _Later in the article both talk more about the protestors behavior. _AP

Quote:
Dozens of Bush supporters then walked about a mile to a parking lot, where the movie was shown. They stood at the entrance, chanting "No More Moore!" several times during the film. A few got into heated discussions with moviegoers as a policeman stood between them.

and CNN

Quote:
At the parking lot, the crowd sat in lawn chairs or on pillows on the ground to watch the film as some of the protesters stood at the entrance, chanting "No More Moore."

The crowd cheered when the film showed protesters during Bush's inauguration. There were cheers and some boos when Moore appeared in the film.

So here, CNN describes the protestors being shut out of there and behaving themselves in the parking area, while the AP has them being rowdy and nearly getting into a confrontation with the police - a point CNN totally ignores.

So to sum up - CNN decided that 300 protesters deserved front-page placement on their web page, they then reduced the number of people who actually showed up according to the AP (CNN gave the number that were expected to show up, 1000), ignored the behavior of the protesters, and basically did all they could to give the anti-Moore perspective.

When the protestors are outnumbered 10 to 1, you don't give their side of the story. _In Fox's world, CNN is now considered fair and balanced.
post #10 of 33
The media is clearly left. How do you think that the media would have handled the Hamburgular's theft of documents if he was a Republican? They would have beaten their chests and demanded congressional hearings and then tried him in the media anyway.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
The media is clearly left. How do you think that the media would have handled the Hamburgular's theft of documents if he was a Republican? They would have beaten their chests and demanded congressional hearings and then tried him in the media anyway.

Um, were you around during the 1990's? The biggest witch hunt of the century took place then. Remember, we don't censure Democratic president's for personal indiscretions, we impeach them. But if we're misled about a war that kills 911 soldiers and wounds and maims thousands of others, that's cool. The media gives Bush a clear pass. Why? War is good for ratings. So of course the media is going to support the Bush administration...they're good for ratings.

So I ask you this? How has the media handled the DeLay scandal? Where's the demand from the media for a hearing? Where are the relentless stories about DeLays connections with big business and big oil? Where are the allegations of impropriety? Where is it?

The media's response... Scandal? There's a scandal involving Tom DeLay? When did that happen? Chirp chirp. Chirp chrip. Hello? Are there any reporters out there? Nope. They, AND YOU PARTICULARLY, are more concerned with Democrats hair styles and how much their haircuts cost.

(RE)ELECT BUSH! HE'S GOOD FOR RATINGS!
post #12 of 33
1. Clinton was not impeached for his personal behavior. He was impeached for lies under oath. (Save the "Bush Lied!" reply to this) He did not lie.

2. The media presents the war in Iraq as a disater if you have not noticed. They dwell on the bad and essentially ignore the good.

3 . DeLay gets beat up pretty bad in The Houston Chronicle. The left media hates him.
post #13 of 33
Quote:
3 . DeLay gets beat up pretty bad in The Houston Chronicle. The left media hates him.

Well, my own anecdotal experience with that one is, "What DeLay scandal?". And I consider myself reasonably well informed; at least I read the NYT and CNN.com every day, and listen to NPR a fair bit. I don't know a thing about any DeLay scandal, and if I don't, 99% of other Americans don't either.

Objectively, you just can't compare the Clinton witch-hunts of the 90s to any pursuit of impropriety involving the Bush administration. And there certainly could be plenty, if the media chose to be bothered. They haven't.
post #14 of 33
David Brocks Media Matters proves its worth once again with its debunking of one of those nutty World Exclusives."_ In it, Brock notes, Drudge dredged up a discredited charge that Kerry filmed reenacted combat scenes for future political career._ He writes,

Quote:
On July 28, Internet gossip Matt Drudge revived and expanded on a discredited charge about Senator John Kerry (D-MA). On his highly trafficked website, The Drudge Report, Drudge reported that Kerry reenacted combat scenes on videotape during his service in the Vietnam War in order to enhance his future political ambitions. Drudge cited a 1996 Boston Globe article and two books by known Kerry-bashers: retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Robert "Buzz" Patterson and anti-Kerry group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth founder John O'Neill.

On September 7, 2002, The New York Times' current executive editor and then-columnist Bill Keller took up the issue of Kerry's wartime films and debunked the reenactment charge, which he wrote that he believed at first: "[R]elying on a report in the usually dependable Boston Globe, I mocked him for pulling out a movie camera after a shootout in the Mekong Delta and re-enacting the exploit, as if preening for campaign commercials to come."

Simply not true, Keller found after sitting through 40 minutes of footage in Kerry's office. Contrary to Drudge's assertion -- which apparently quoted O'Neill's upcoming book -- that Kerry would "reenact combat scenes where he would portray the hero," Keller wrote:

The first thing to be said is that the senator's movies are not self-aggrandizing. Mr. Kerry is hardly in the film, and never strikes so much as a heroic pose. These are the souvenirs of a 25-year-old guy sent to an exotic place on an otherworldly mission, who bought an 8-millimeter camera in the PX and shot a few hours of travelogue, most of it pretty boring if you didn't live through it.

Keller also wrote that, according to the Swift Boat Sailors Association, "a group of veterans who manned" the kind of riverboat that Kerry commanded, "lots of enlisted men did the same." Former Senator Max Cleland (D-GA), a strong Kerry supporter who lost three limbs in Vietnam, told Keller that he has hours of film from his service in Vietnam, which, Keller wrote, "he has had edited into a three minute meet-the-senator video."

Drudge is full of it, per usual. Read on.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
1. Clinton was not impeached for his personal behavior. He was impeached for lies under oath. (Save the "Bush Lied!" reply to this) He did not lie.

2. The media presents the war in Iraq as a disater if you have not noticed. They dwell on the bad and essentially ignore the good.

" He did not lie. "

I'll give you the usual rhetorical response " You've got no proof of that! "

If I was a betting man I'd say he lied.

" ignore the good. "

What good?
post #16 of 33
I find it interesting how some think that the media is so "pro Bush". It is not. Yes people like Rush are biased towards Bush, but they are opinion-based media. They are not "news media". As far as the main stream media not showing dead American soldiers, I don't think that has anything to do with supporting Bush or the war. That has everthing to do with the expected standard of television in the US and their fear of public backlash. My opinion is that they should so it. Remember, no matter how noble a vision we would like to hold of "the press", they are in buisness and must sell to survive.
post #17 of 33
You guys are funny.

It all depends where you fall in the political spectrum - where your POV is and wether or not you know where you stand.

A lot of you are very left overall yet think that you are right down the middle. In that case, the majority of people everywhere are to your right.

On the other hand if you are the opposite, of course, then everyone seems left of you.

But if we are talking about what political affiliation the "media" is the overwhelming majority leans left - something that is proven by study after study and report after report.

In light of the actual facts, it only goes to reason that the reporting would be left leaning. I for one have no problem with that, as long as it does not interfere with the facts.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
You guys are funny.

It all depends where you fall in the political spectrum - where your POV is and wether or not you know where you stand.

A lot of you are very left overall yet think that you are right down the middle. In that case, the majority of people everywhere are to your right.

On the other hand if you are the opposite, of course, then everyone seems left of you.

But if we are talking about what political affiliation the "media" is the overwhelming majority leans left - something that is proven by study after study and report after report.

In light of the actual facts, it only goes to reason that the reporting would be left leaning. I for one have no problem with that, as long as it does not interfere with the facts.

You know, you've used this "study after study" formulation before-- I would be curious to see a citation of a study that uses some reasonable methodology to show that "the media overwhelmingly leans left".

I'm aware that the majority of reporters are self described democrats, but this doesn't say anything at all about what stories are given prominence, how the stories are contextualized, which stories are buried, etc. In other words, the overarching narrative within which the news is presented; and that is, increasingly, controlled by the owners of large corporations.

Who are, suprise, overwhelmingly conservative.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
You know, you've used this "study after study" formulation before-- I would be curious to see a citation of a study that uses some reasonable methodology to show that "the media overwhelmingly leans left".

I'm aware that the majority of reporters are self described democrats, but this doesn't say anything at all about what stories are given prominence, how the stories are contextualized, which stories are buried, etc. In other words, the overarching narrative within which the news is presented; and that is, increasingly, controlled by the owners of large corporations.

Who are, suprise, overwhelmingly conservative.

Dig around they are out there. I might have them bookmarked, although I just ditched a bunch. I will look.

But who cares. If Drudge is right leaning, take that into consideration when you read his stuff. But I have seen people here discredit a news article simply because it is linked on his page. That is just silly. I am sure you would agree.

Personally, I am confused where Drudge is sometimes,

i watch the O Factor on a semi-regular basis and it the end of each show he reads email and every day he reads one that says he is an ultra liberal and then one that says he is far right. It is actually funny but tells me that he is probably right down the middle if he offends so many on both sides.

I will say it again, there is room for all POV's. But all have to realize that opposite POV's help to create a balance. Honestly held views are valuable in an open society and should at least be considered.
post #20 of 33
Quote:

Clinton did not lie?
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #21 of 33
Berger Cleared of Withholding Material From 9/11 Commission

SCOT J. PALTROW WSJ article was printed on page A6. The story's been out there. Where's the coverage from the so-called liberal media?!!!!

Quote:
Officials looking into the removal of classified documents from the National Archives by former Clinton National Security Adviser Samuel Berger say no original materials are missing and nothing Mr. Berger reviewed was withheld from the commission investigating the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The conclusion by archives officials and others would seem to lay to rest the issue of whether any information was permanently destroyed or withheld from the commission.

Archives spokeswoman Susan Cooper said officials there "are confident that there aren't any original documents missing in relation to this case." She said in most cases, Mr. Berger was given photocopies to review, and that in any event officials have accounted for all originals to which he had access.

That included all drafts of a so-called after-action report prepared by the White House and federal agencies in 2000 after the investigation into a foiled bombing plot aimed at the Millennium celebrations. That report and earlier drafts are at the center of allegations that Mr. Berger might have permanently removed some records from the archives. Some of the allegations have related to the possibility that drafts with handwritten notes on them may have disappeared, but Ms. Cooper said archives staff are confident those documents aren't missing either.

Daniel Marcus, general counsel of the 9/11 Commission, said the panel had been assured twice by the Justice Department that no originals were missing and that all of the material Mr. Berger had access to had been turned over to the commission. "We are told that the Justice Department is satisfied that we've seen everything that the archives saw," and "nothing was missing," he said.

Come on "liberal" media! Let's hear from the rest of you...hello? Hello....

Atrios
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Berger Cleared of Withholding Material From 9/11 Commission

SCOT J. PALTROW WSJ article was printed on page A6. The story's been out there. Where's the coverage from the so-called liberal media?!!!!

Come on "liberal" media! Let's hear from the rest of you...hello? Hello....

Atrios

The only problem is that this does not mean he did not commit a crime, it just means that he didn't succeed in destroying anything important. He still removed unauthorized material from the archives - top secret documents, no less.

He knew better.
post #23 of 33
Quote:
The only problem is that this does not mean he did not commit a crime, it just means that he didn't succeed in destroying anything important. He still removed unauthorized material from the archives - top secret documents, no less.

He knew better.

And he obviously knew that he was looking at photo copies, so your "didn't succeed in destroying" turn of phrase is patently dishonest. It is clear that he had no intention to "eliminate" documents, for whatever bizarre reasons the right might dream up.

The bigger issue is why hasn't the so called liberal media been all over this? Aren't they supposed to be working to push their liberal agenda? Wouldn't giving prominent play to exculpating facts around the Berger case further that agenda?

Instead, we got front page coverage of the original accusations, as well as the wooliest of republican fantasies (he was providing documents to the Kerry campaign, he was trying to cover Clinton's tracks) and now that we have some actual facts in hand the "liberal" media seems oddly uninterested.

Maybe they want to be liberal but are just really bad at it.

Also, Naples, I'm little bemused by the fact that you can breezily declare that "study after study" proves your underlying assumption the the media is overwhelmingly liberal but when I ask you to provide some evidence you say you can't be bothered and that it "doesn't matter".
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
And he obviously knew that he was looking at photo copies, so your "didn't succeed in destroying" turn of phrase is patently dishonest. It is clear that he had no intention to "eliminate" documents, for whatever bizarre reasons the right might dream up.

The bigger issue is why hasn't the so called liberal media been all over this? Aren't they supposed to be working to push their liberal agenda? Wouldn't giving prominent play to exculpating facts around the Berger case further that agenda?

Instead, we got front page coverage of the original accusations, as well as the wooliest of republican fantasies (he was providing documents to the Kerry campaign, he was trying to cover Clinton's tracks) and now that we have some actual facts in hand the "liberal" media seems oddly uninterested.

Maybe they want to be liberal but are just really bad at it.

Also, Naples, I'm little bemused by the fact that you can breezily declare that "study after study" proves your underlying assumption the the media is overwhelmingly liberal but when I ask you to provide some evidence you say you can't be bothered and that it "doesn't matter".

This is really a non story, because it is "good" news. No original copies were destroyed. No-one cares about good news anymore.

Besides, it's not like it gets him off the hook - it merely makes him look even more foolish and the crime even more suspicious.

The studies are readily available through google. Come on.
post #25 of 33
So, I've been watching CNN for a couple of hours and at least as far as I've seen they haven't yet mentioned that Sandy Berger was "cleared of all wrongdoing."

Come on liberal media, prove the conspiracy theorists right. Give us some of that good old fashioned liberal slant. No? Of course not.

But hey, they sure have proven amnesia about a big report they aired only three weeks ago:

CNN's Aaron Brown had introduced TNR's Beinart on July 7 as follows:

Quote:
BROWN: The New Republic, in a piece to be released tomorrow, will allege that the administration through various means is pressuring the government of Pakistan to deliver bin Laden and his henchmen before the November election, preferably during the Democratic Convention a couple of weeks from now.

It's clear from this quotation that Brown understood the significance of the story. Indeed, CNN replayed clips of Beinart's appearance throughout the following day, and Beinart made another brief live appearance as well.

As of this writing, however, neither CNN nor any other news network has mentioned the TNR article. On CNN, anchor Judy Woodruff first reported the arrest at around 4:15 pm (ET) on July 29:

Quote:
WOODRUFF: We have some news just in to CNN. Pakistani security forces have captured a high-level Al Qaeda operative wanted in connection with the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Africa. Pakistan's Interior Minister says Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, captured a few days ago, shows that the Pakistani government is committed to fighting terrorism. In all, 224 people were killed in the embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.

About one hour later, CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer recapped news of the arrest before introducing CNN's Islamabad bureau chief, Ash-har Quraishi, who reported the story by phone live from Pakistan. Neither Blitzer nor Quraishi brought up the "July Surprise" angle, even as Quraishi reported that Ghailani had been captured "early on Sunday" -- meaning that he was captured more than three days before the Democratic National Convention began but that the news media was not informed until hours before Senator John Kerry's climactic speech on its final day.

Liberal media MY ASS!
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
So, I've been watching CNN for a couple of hours and at least as far as I've seen they haven't yet mentioned that Sandy Berger was "cleared of all wrongdoing."

Come on liberal media, prove the conspiracy theorists right. Give us some of that good old fashioned liberal slant. No? Of course not.

But hey, they sure have proven amnesia about a big report they aired only three weeks ago:

CNN's Aaron Brown had introduced TNR's Beinart on July 7 as follows:

It's clear from this quotation that Brown understood the significance of the story. Indeed, CNN replayed clips of Beinart's appearance throughout the following day, and Beinart made another brief live appearance as well.

As of this writing, however, neither CNN nor any other news network has mentioned the TNR article. On CNN, anchor Judy Woodruff first reported the arrest at around 4:15 pm (ET) on July 29:

About one hour later, CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer recapped news of the arrest before introducing CNN's Islamabad bureau chief, Ash-har Quraishi, who reported the story by phone live from Pakistan. Neither Blitzer nor Quraishi brought up the "July Surprise" angle, even as Quraishi reported that Ghailani had been captured "early on Sunday" -- meaning that he was captured more than three days before the Democratic National Convention began but that the news media was not informed until hours before Senator John Kerry's climactic speech on its final day.

Liberal media MY ASS!

So one story and you are convinced?
post #27 of 33
Quote:
So one story and you are convinced?

No. Just picking one story to follow as a clear "example" of what I'm arguing. There are hundreds of examples (a few of which have been discussed above already). But this board has proven that if you offer too much evidence we get bogged down in nit-picking...something I have no patience for currently.

So the Sandy Berger story is a perfect example. The media at large has ignored the DeLay scandal. Yet they made Berger front page news. Now that Berger's actions have been cleared we hear absolutely NOTHING from them.

It's currently 4:30PM EST and Drudge has not added a single link to any stories about Berger. Is this because no one's reporting it and therefore a lack of linkable articles? Or is it that Drudge is so hellbent on staging Democrats as incompetent that he can't even follow through on the conclusion of a story he was determined to make his headline?
post #28 of 33
Quote:
--snip--
The studies are readily available through google. Come on.

Okey dokey, we'll do it your way.

I googled "liberal media" and this is what I got:

First up, "oh, that liberal media", which purports to answer the question "What liberal media" with egregious examples of liberal bias culled from today's headlines!

On their front page they take to task several editorials for failing to note that Kerry is cynical hack.

Then they argue that a news story that reports that the democratic party has a message and that they would like that message to be embraced is "shilling for John Kerry". Hmmmm..... surely we can do better...

Next, a number of links to sites selling Eric Alterman's book, "What Liberal Media", a heavily researched refutation of the notion of a liberal media.

Huh. OK, after that, a FAIR study of the political leanings of journalists:
Findings:
Quote:
On select issues from corporate power and trade to Social Security and Medicare to health care and taxes, journalists are actually more conservative than the general public.

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation.

The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

Journalists report that "business-oriented news outlets" and "major daily newspapers" provide the highest quality coverage of economic policy issues, while "broadcast network TV news" and "cable news services" provide the worst.

Ooops. Another Alterman link.... here's "The Price of the Liberal Media Myth" , which leads with:
Quote:
The notion of a liberal national news media is one of the most enduring and influential political myths of modern U.S. history. Shaping the behavior of both conservatives and liberals over the past quarter century, the myth could be said to have altered the course of American democracy and led the nation into the dangerous corner it now finds itself.

Darn, that can't be right. Next is "Liberal Slant", which.. well, I won't even bother to link, they must be liberal wackos.

So on to CNN!

Just the first few graphs:
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Tribune Media Services) -- If you say something often enough and loud enough, people will believe it -- no matter how untrue it is.

Bernard Goldberg has been complaining about the liberal media so long, people not only believe him, they have propelled "Bias," his jeremiad against the media, to the New York Times Bestseller list. Unfortunately, it's ranked as nonfiction.

Goldberg first attacked CBS for liberal bias on the op-ed page of the February, 13, 1996, Wall Street Journal -- comments made he insists, just to get the conversation started. He got the cold shoulder from CBS executives instead.

And now he's getting his revenge. Goldberg devotes half of his book to evening the score against CBS and Dan Rather. The other half he spends trying to tear down the rest of the media, too, with little supporting evidence. Goldberg doesn't come close to proving a liberal bias in the media.

And that, my friend, is the entire first page of Google hits for "liberal media".

Good night, and god bless.
post #29 of 33
addabox, the second and third link are broken.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by faust9
addabox, the second and third link are broken.

Thanks. All better now.
post #31 of 33
The reason that the media is not Liberal, from a LIBERAL

Rumor has it that you can register as appleinsider / appleinsider . . .
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
The reason that the media is not Liberal, from a LIBERAL

Rumor has it that you can register as appleinsider / appleinsider . . .

or macnn/macnn
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #33 of 33
From pfflams article fro those not inclined to reading articles prior to commenting on them. Thought this was funny.

Quote:
P.S.: Another story you may not see on TV: Jeb Bush insists that electronic voting machines are perfectly reliable, but The St. Petersburg Times says the Republican Party of Florida has sent out a flier urging supporters to use absentee ballots because the machines lack a paper trail and cannot "verify your vote."

P.P.S.: Three weeks ago, The New Republic reported that the Bush administration was pressuring Pakistan to announce a major terrorist capture during the Democratic convention. Hours before Mr. Kerry's acceptance speech, Pakistan announced, several days after the fact, that it had apprehended an important Al Qaeda operative.

I believe that was the first mention of these points in a large media outlet. Go figure.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider