or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Kerry plays the faith card

Kerry plays the faith card

post #1 of 8
[Amorph, Jambo - thanks for the fixes]

Quote:
Even among the scientists and technicians at Florida's Kennedy Space Center, Kerry paid tribute Monday to "the higher power."

"More physicists and more and more scientists, the more they learn in some ways the less they know about some things and the more they believe in that power," Kerry said.

First off, he's wrong. The most recent scientific polls of scientist's beliefs show belief in God is continuing to decline. With physicists ranking as the most skeptical.

Second, I think this reaffirms Micheal Newdow's point before the supreme court that an atheist could not get elected to high office in this country.

Third, although there is no way that Kerry can exploit religion for political purposes as bad as Bush, it is disheartening to see that we live in a country that has a faith litmus test.

Given that he has explicitly distinguished between his personal beliefs and his responsibilites in a secular government I will still vote for him over Bush, who doesn't make such a distinction. Blame the game not the player, I guess.

--
"Evolution is not random. Mutation is random, but natural selection is entirely non-random. Evolution doesn't predict that all the complexity of life just came together randomly. "

--
"Evolution is not random. Mutation is random, but natural selection is entirely non-random. Evolution doesn't predict that all the complexity of life just came together randomly. "

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordstrodamus
Note to admin: Didn't see the political Outsider forum. Also, could you correct my misuse of the possessive "'s" in the title. Actually, could you change it to "Plays". I'm a little tired today, sorry.

And would the gentleman like two spoons of sugar in his latte, sir?

I think this is very disturbing. Kerry had the right message with "not wearing his faith on his sleeves". Bull's-eye! It has nothing to do in politics.

What makes it even stranger is the conditions it was said in.

Do you have a link with the story?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
And would the gentleman like two spoons of sugar in his latte, sir?

I think this is very disturbing. Kerry had the right message with "not wearing his faith on his sleeves". Bull's-eye! It has nothing to do in politics.

What makes it even stranger is the conditions it was said in.

Do you have a link with the story?

Yes, my brain is currently caffeine deprived. Here's the link...

Kerry talks openly about faith and guns

--

--

post #4 of 8
From what I've read, Kerry has been an observant catholic his whole life while his opponent only found Jesus after leaving his whisky-induced haze in his early 40s (or was it 50s?).

When he starts talking about divine mandate for his campaign or decisions I'll get pissed.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
From what I've read, Kerry has been an observant catholic his whole life while his opponent only found Jesus after leaving his whisky-induced haze in his early 40s (or was it 50s?).

When he starts talking about divine mandate for his campaign or decisions I'll get pissed.

Do you mean like Bush was suggesting a couple of years ago? I'd get pissed to.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #6 of 8
Kerry knows we are a Christian nation and he must appeal to Christians to win. Too bad for him that Christians will not buy his incincere nonsense.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
Kerry knows we are a Christian nation and he must appeal to Christians to win. Too bad for him that Christians will not buy his incincere nonsense.

But they buy Bush non sense?

It reminds me of a woman on Washington Journal who asked if it was right Lieberman had been married twice. When they affirmed that the case was shut for her. He could never become her president.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man

you're not christian.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Kerry plays the faith card