or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › OFFICIAL NFL thread

OFFICIAL NFL thread - Page 2

post #41 of 279
I'm glad the Jets signed Quincy Carter. I like the guy. I'm a Cowboys fan and I feel a little sorry that he was released.

I'm friends with the Jets. I'm glad he didn't sign with the Vikes. Purple and yellow just looks bad on football unis.
post #42 of 279
The Jets got a lot better, and the Cowboys a lot worse for releasing Carter. Despite being a middlin' talent, he is young and fairly steady. Sooner or later, Drew Hensen is gonna be taking snaps for the Pokes-hope those 3 years away from football haven't made him too rusty.

And speaking of QBs, if you're a Bucs fan, you don't wanna see Chris Simms anywhere near the field. He got to start in Texas because of his dad, even though Major Applewhite was a much better QB. He has great athletic talent, but terrible decision making skills, which is why he looks so good on the practice field. Brad Johnson, as old an inconsistent as he is, is a much better QB than Simms will ever be.
Dual 2Ghz G5, Single 2Ghz Xserve G5, Dual 1Ghz QS G4, Single 1.25Ghz MDD G4.
post #43 of 279
What ever Happened to Major Applewhite? Is he playing somewhere?
post #44 of 279
Steelers looked good . . . I think they might actually be impressive this year.
A return to the running game (they have an embarrassment of riches where that is concerned: Willie Parker (4th string player) made well over 100 yards, Duce Staly, Bettis, Veron Haynes and Dante Brown) and they have finally gotten a semi-decent secondary back together.

anyway, I went to a bar in order to see the game . . . i swear to god the way that the anouncers worshipped Owens, slavering his arse with their wet tongues every chance they got, and then playing up, over and over, the 'special bond' between McNabb and Owens, it made me feel like wretching . . . it was sickening
They even broke into an interview with Hines Ward (who's stats are better than Owens) with questions about Owens, and the camera would not leave him or us alone . . . sickening!
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #45 of 279
Cowboys and Titans on Monday...

I'm concerned about the QB situation for my 'Boys.
post #46 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyastronaut
What ever Happened to Major Applewhite? Is he playing somewhere?

Signed to the Patriots' practice squad, career-ending injury, currently a coach at Texas.
post #47 of 279
Steven Jackson looked awesome in tonight's Rams - Skins game.

Julius Jones BETTER be good for the Cowboys. I hope they don't regret not drafting Jackson.
post #48 of 279
What games are looking forward to:

Me, of course, The Steelers vs the Raiders . . . though I think its allready a done deal

Baltimore at Cleveland is interesting simply because its in the AFC North

but the Giants and the Eagles should be exciting . . . I say the Giants are surprising yet they still lose.

and the Packers vs Carolina should also be good though Carolina is a probable for that one

KC at Denver . . . the lack of oxygen at high altitude will help Denver but KC will win . . . . they are probably going all the way this year

Indianapols at NE . . . . I say Indianapolis . . they are a really good underdog team and playing in NE . . . and for the season opener . . it whould be fun

Jacksonville at Buffallo . . . that would be a good game to watch . . . wich I had NFL Ticket . . . I say the Jags do well . . . don't know for sure who wins though.

Cincinatti and the Jets . . . Hmm? close and exciting . . . Ithink both teams are underrated and will be very surprising this year . . .
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #49 of 279
Just reviving the thread after the first weeks games and revelations that many people had or should have had with regards to some teams that were simply overrated.

I am also posting just to give a shout out to my Broncos for showing that they can and do have the offensive power(minus idiotic left-handed passes ) to take it to the next level...Defense is good considering this is the first year for a lot of the team to even be working together...They are ranked 4th overall in Power according to NFL.com, for what thats worth...

How are your teams doing?!
post #50 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by ijerry
How are your teams doing?!

Steelers did well against the Raiders: a 2nd string LineBacker stepped up and might end up replacing the 1st stringer, Kendrell Bell, who is VERY good . . . so that says good things.

Problem this week withthem is that their second string QB, the first round draft Ben Roesthilsberger, hurt his knee in practice and there were only two QBs on the team: St Pierre was on the practice squad.
I have been fully expecting Roesthilsberger would end up replacing Maddox this year: he played very well in preseason and Maddox, though good, has played a solid mediocre.

The only thing bad about the Steelers so far is that they are not consostent with their aggressive play: when they are winning they seem to sit back and let the other team catch up . .. if not, though, they are dominant

Very strong D against the run: total 61-ish yards.

The Broncos look good this year: Griffin is impressive . . . or is it just "the System"
That always cracks me up. If it really were 'the system' then why isn't everyone else doing it too?!?!
Portis looked good in Washington, and they don't have 'the System'!

anyway: looking forward to this week . . . Im gonna post a game by game prediction this time.
Last time I got fone prediction right out of seven tries . . . not too good.
I think that this whole season will be that way: the whole Monday Night Football elite will be playing agaistt underdogs who will be beating their asses: ie Cleveland, Pittsburgh . . . .
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #51 of 279
The Steelers looked like they were man-handling the Faiders so I switched channels, and then hear that it turned out to be a close game...

The predictions are going to be hard to make, though the fricken Patriots look better than last year,and the luck continues as well...It is gonna be hard to beat talent and luck!

I will make some predictions this week after further review of the matchups...

Good luck to all!
post #52 of 279
Texans gave the ball away 4 times and made Drew Brees look like an NFL starting quarterback. Embarrassing, to say the least.

Defense was also terrible on 3rd down-they couldn't establish a pass rush AT ALL, Chargers TE Antonio Gates looked like Tony Gonzalez.

Houstonians are starting to get a little impatient with the Texans...if they stumble to another 5-11 season, the head coach's job is in serious jeopardy.
post #53 of 279
Carolina vs Kansas City: Gotta give it to the CHiefs, Carolina played terribly last week against the packers . . . and mostly through the run

Green Bay vs Chicago Green Bay - they re a good team, great O Line, great runner, great QB, decent secondary . . they are going to compete hard with the vikings in this division --they'll make wildcard at least.

Broncos vs Jaguars Broncos . . . but I want the Jags to win

Houston vs the Detroit Lions Lions . . . they're also good this year . .. well . . . better . . . and the Texans will be the worst in the league this year

Colts vs Titans -gotta be a great game . . . a real duel . . . I give it to the Colts. The Titans are good, Great QB, tough D - but somehoe they just can't do it when it counts.

STEELERS vs Ravens - nuff said: Steelers - Ravens are going to claw like drowning kittys . . . but they'll still lose . . .
Unless Maddox starts throwing without watching . . .

SF vs the Saints -yawn . . . the saints win it

Rams vs Falcons . . . good question . . .don't really know anything about these teams except that Vic is great and Faullk is decent . . I'll go with the Falcons cause I think they are an unknown quantity while I think the Rams are fading

Washington vs NYGiants I want the Giants to win - - I will eternally hate the Redskins until they change their lame name . . . . they will probably win though, Portis is great

Seattle vs Tampa Seattle - they're playoff bound

Buffallo vs the Raiders I'd like to see the Bills win with a lot of MacGahee running . . . but they are in the Black Hole and Gannon can throw again . . . and Fargas is a good runner.

Cleveland vs the Cowboys Cleveland - the Browns are hot and they are gonna surprise . . . they'll take second in their division but they'll still surprise.

New England vs Arizona well . . . .come on . . . NE . . . unless they get lazy and forget that they're still playing decent players . . .like the Vikings last year

Jets vs San Diego I think I kinda like both these teams . . . mainly for the stupidest of all reasons . .. great outfits . . . and a coupla good runners . . Tomlinson (my wife's last name) is awesome awesome awesome . . . i love to watch awesome runners . . . wich I could watch more games with him in them
. . . They might actually be a good team this year . . . but I say that the Jets may actually be a very good team this year so they win here
Eventually they'll start using Vilma at Line Backer and that will be interesting
only thing I like as much as watching great runners is watching great Linebackers

Dolphins vs Bengals the Bengals . .. they're OK . . . but the Dolphins have imploded and they'll be scraping bottom with the Niners, the Texans and Arizona

Vikings vs the Eagles - a shootout . . . Culpepper vs McNabb, Moss vs Owens . . .the Vikings will win . . . the Eagles are very good but they will be caught off gaurd . . . . the Vikings have Ontario Smith . . . he is their second runner but he is better than some of the best . . . he'll get a chance to show his stuff . . . but mainly I think that they'll shut down Owens . . . they should, someone should . . . please!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #54 of 279
Quote:

10 Bold predictions

1. Texans will have a winning record.
2. The Titans won't make the playoffs.
3. Phillip Rivers will be a bust.
4. LaDainian Tomlinson will win the rushing title.
5. Ken Dorsey is the QB of the future for the 49ers
6. Julius Jones will rush for more yards than Eddie George for the 'Boys
7. Gibbs' Redskins will sneak up on some teams like the Tuna's 'Boys did last year.
8. Apple will have another add in the Super Bowl.
9. Ricky Williams will come back after the season.
10. The Chargers, not the 49ers, will end up with the first overall pick again. Schottenheimer fired.

1. That's not so bold as long as Carr gets more than two seconds to scan the field before his pocket collapses.

4. It's going to be Priest Holmes again. I woldn't count out Clinton Portis or Ahman Green either. Definitely not in this quartet is Shaun Alexander.

5. that is not a bold statement at all. York won't spend the cash on true franchise QB and Rattay is not the future.

9. Ricky will be back this year. I have hope (and waiver priority in Fantasy Football).

10. I don't know, but I'm with you on the Niners. Tey're going to finish behind Arizona for sure.
I can change my sig again!
post #55 of 279
Steelers are getting their asses handed to them . . .
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #56 of 279
Titans too. The Colts have 0wned them in the 2nd half.
post #57 of 279
Ben Roethslisber, the rookie first round draft pick came in at QB for Maddox who got injured . . . he threw some very bad Interceptions, but otherwise look at these stats . . . he played for less than one quarter:

Roethslisberger = 12/20 176 yards
Maddox = 4/13 67 yards

This guy is gonna be someone to watch for sure . . . he almost single handedly turned the game around. . . well . . . with Hines Ward that is.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #58 of 279
Watching Miami/Cincy...

Are the Bengal's uniforms uglier than usual, or is it just me?

You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #59 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by iPoster
Watching Miami/Cincy...

It's the orange and black stripe on the pants.

That was a horrid game, saved only by the last 2 minutes. The Dolphins gave up a second round pick for Feeley? What?! Worst GM move ever.
post #60 of 279
Quote:
Watching Miami/Cincy...

i mentioned the same thing to my wife. there is now very little difference between the bengals uniforms and a bad halloween costume for children. "look, mom, i'm a tiger! rowr!!!" carson palmer needs a LOT more practice to get his timing down with his receivers. he was leading everyone by a few too many feet.

p.s. the dolphins are in worse shape than i thought. they couldn't block crap last night.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #61 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
[B]Vikings vs the Eagles - a shootout . . . Culpepper vs McNabb, Moss vs Owens . . .the Vikings will win . . . the Eagles are very good but they will be caught off gaurd . . . . the Vikings have Ontario Smith . . . he is their second runner but he is better than some of the best . . . he'll get a chance to show his stuff . . . but mainly I think that they'll shut down Owens . . . they should, someone should . . . please!

The Eagles have a far better defense. Expect Moss and Culpepper to have good nights, but not anywhere near last week. The Vikings have to run the ball a lot this game. The Vikes will not shut down Owens for sure -- who on that D can take on any of the Eagles' offensive position players? Eagles win on a defensive play. Don't expect a shootout, especially on the Minnesota side of the ball.
post #62 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
The Eagles have a far better defense. Expect Moss and Culpepper to have good nights, but not anywhere near last week. The Vikings have to run the ball a lot this game. The Vikes will not shut down Owens for sure -- who on that D can take on any of the Eagles' offensive position players? Eagles win on a defensive play. Don't expect a shootout, especially on the Minnesota side of the ball.

My impression of the Viking D is that the secondary gets decent coverage. Maybe the Eagle WRs will get lots of catches, but they're YAC will be limited. The Eagles should pound the Vikings front four with the running game, IMO. With Pinkston's bad shoulder, the Vikings will be able to effectively triple-team Owens.
post #63 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugene
The Eagles should pound the Vikings front four with the running game, IMO.

Funny, I was thinking the same of the Vikings' offense. Moss's ego perhaps would be wounded, but it might be best for the team. Maybe not, I mean, we are talking about Randy Moss. Point is, run defense, despite an overall good D team, is still the Eagles' (that's pronounced, "Ih-ggles" BTW) weak spot. Oh, the irony of seeing both teams pound it up the middle with their top-tier wideouts hung out to dry!
post #64 of 279
Quote:
9. Ricky will be back this year. I have hope (and waiver priority in Fantasy Football).

Ricky Williams can't be back this year even if he wants to come back. He's facing a four game suspension, but since he filed retirement papers, he's out for the season according to league rules.

When and if he comes back, he still has the four game suspension to serve.
post #65 of 279
Quote:
Watching Miami/Cincy...

I know! I'm usually very accepting of new team uniforms. I was pleased with the uniform changes by the Broncos, Bucs, Bills, Falcons, Lions, Seahawks and all the others that have changed unis in recent years... but this just hurts to the eye. The "bengal stripes" on the sides look very cheap.

I kinda get the feeling that in a few years when people look back at highlight clips from this decade the Bengals, Bills and Falcons unis will look soooo bad tho. They look like recycled jerseys.
post #66 of 279
Quote:
I know! I'm usually very accepting of new team uniforms. I was pleased with the uniform changes by the Broncos, Bucs, Bills, Falcons, Lions, Seahawks and all the others that have changed unis in recent years... but this just hurts to the eye. The "bengal stripes" on the sides look very cheap.

I kinda get the feeling that in a few years when people look back at highlight clips from this decade the Bengals, Bills and Falcons unis will look soooo bad tho. They look like recycled jerseys.

i have liked the falcons slowly getting back to their red jersey roots. that black-on-black bullcrap started back by glanville and deion was stupid-on-stupid. "what's you team primary color? black. secondary? black. um, tertiary? gray. but we do have some red pinstriping!"

personally, i sometimes long for the classic uniforms, with the big-ass block letter numbers, with no different fonts or drop shadows on the numbers and crap. no half-swooshes, no secondary logos. i personally blame jerry jones and his brief, assinine change of the cowboys classic jersey to have those huge stars on the shoulders. next you'll see them try to put the steelers logo on both sides of the helmet, add a black drop shadow to green bay's "G", and a dark metallic blue gradient to the bears jersey.

at least someone stopped carmen policy long ago when he wanted to do away with the san francisco's classic "SF" once montana and walsh were gone.

but hey, you know why they do it, right? because once you buy a jersey, you keep it until it changes. i mean, why would you need more than a couple, right? but you don't want to seem "uncool" by showing up to a game in last year's jersey. well, that's why some nba teams change their uniforms CONSTANTLY. you're either ballin' old-school, or up-to-date.

post #67 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
personally, i sometimes long for the classic uniforms, with the big-ass block letter numbers, with no different fonts or drop shadows on the numbers and crap. no half-swooshes, no secondary logos. i personally blame jerry jones and his brief, assinine change of the cowboys classic jersey to have those huge stars on the shoulders.

The Cowboys' home jersey is very traditional. White, couple of stripes. That's it. The (rarely used) away blue jersey is the one with stars on the sides. I like them. It's original they're the only team in the league with white home jerseys.

I don't mind uniform redesign. At times a change is in order. However, I think teams try too hard to make revolutionary designs and it just ends up looking very bad.

I think the Broncos, Lions, Bucs and Seahawks made great uniform upgrades. Here's why. The Broncos and Bucs threw the old design to the trash can and started from scratch. They even chose new colors. And that works, getting rid of the old and just coming up with something very different. You don't see any similarities between the old one and the new one. The Lions and Seahawks kept ties with the old unis, but changed them slightly just to make them look new and they kept it clean. Lions changed the hue on their blue and added a black outline to the lion on the helmet. Yet it looks so much better. Seahawks changed the color scheme yet it looks very clean.

But if you ask me, the Bengals just screwed it. The Falcons' jerseys have very agressive lines, doesn't look clean at all. Looks more like a superhero costume than a football uniform. Change Michael Vick's number 7 for a Superman logo and it looks fitting. The Bills and Bengals just kept the old helmets and made a collage out of their jerseys. Not very clean.

In general, I think clean, plain jerseys with stripes work better than "hey, let's keep the old helmet and add all kinds of crazy lines and different colored patches to the jersey" approach. But having different unis is fun.

Gosh I love football.
post #68 of 279
Forget the jerseys, I'm still getting used to the "Evolution" helmets players started wearing 2-3 seasons ago. I first noticed Rice wearing one back then...He's switched back to the older helmets now I think. In fact it seems like there are fewer people using them on the whole this year.
post #69 of 279
Slightly off-topic (again!), but I remember watching a hockey game on TV one night against the Washington Capitals, and Doc Emrick, one of the great voices in sports, kept getting the players mixed up because he couldn't read the numbers on their jerseys. During one break in the action, he commented on how so much attention was paid to the colors and unique serif font on the backs of the Caps players, and how they were illegible to fans and the press. Said it drove him nuts. Illegible numbers and swooshes drive me nuts.

On the other hand, some of those third jersies they have in the NHL, particularly the Dallas Stars' third jersey with its big star points coming down the sleeve and down the sides, are quite nice. It's just when you get fussy with the unis when they're supposed to be seen from a fair distance is when you get in trouble. Then of course there are the fashion color schemes we got in the late 80's and 90's. And the team-name-as-collective-noun trend last decade. I could go on.

Uh, anyhoo, on topic... ...dontcha wish the Vikings helmets had real horns on them?
post #70 of 279
I hate when teams change uniforms. I think the worst change in the NFL is the Broncos. Their old uniforms were way cooler. I was very happy when both New York teams went back to their classic styles.
post #71 of 279
Arrggghhhhhh! Come on Culpepper!

Minnesota was horrible inside the redzone and it is mostly Culpepper and terrible play calling.
post #72 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by THT
Arrggghhhhhh! Come on Culpepper!

Minnesota was horrible inside the redzone and it is mostly Culpepper and terrible play calling.

Fumblia! Fumbleruski!

The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #73 of 279
Vikings should have won that game

My new least favorite team has to be the Eagles . . . . I'll never forgive them letting Owens get away with that none-catch!!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #74 of 279
Vikings choked inside the 30 every time. They penalized themselves to death. And Andersen's kicking is fading quickly now. About time, I guess.

And, yes, that was not anywhere near a catch by Owens for that TD. Whatever happened to the "football action after the catch" thing, or for that matter, possession, or for that matter, having your knee down before the ball crosses the plane of the goal?
post #75 of 279
I don't get it. It seemed like Culpepper was actively trying to NOT throw to Moss. From the 4th quarter on, Moss was only up against man-to-man coverage and he still wasn't getting passed to...WTF?

"COME'ON! LEAD US,DAUNTEEEE!!"

ROFL.
post #76 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto

And, yes, that was not anywhere near a catch by Owens for that TD. Whatever happened to the "football action after the catch" thing, or for that matter, possession, or for that matter, having your knee down before the ball crosses the plane of the goal?

There are two reasons to dispute the touchdown. The knee thing isn't one of them. I don't know why Al Michaels even brought it up. You can't be down by contact if you never had posession of the ball.

1) The ball looked to have touched the ground when Terrell fell into the end-zone.

2) The ball was still rattling around on his chest as he rolled out of bounds.
post #77 of 279
Quote:
I don't get it. It seemed like Culpepper was actively trying to NOT throw to Moss. From the 4th quarter on, Moss was only up against man-to-man coverage and he still wasn't getting passed to...WTF?

Arrggghhhh!

I guess it was good that I went to bed at 10 pm Central, and missed more Culpepper-induced shrill insanity.

Just on the first 35 minutes alone, you could see he was having a bad night. On the 2 occasions they where within the 2 yards of the endzone, Culpepper had open receivers and did not throw the ball and instead tried to run it himself. Just crazy!

And Madden had it right too. Just give Moss a chance to make a play on a few downs with some deep deep routes.
post #78 of 279
post #79 of 279
Quote:
There are two reasons to dispute the touchdown. The knee thing isn't one of them.

I thought the defender came down with him, hence he would have been down by contact before the goalline if he had possession anyway.
post #80 of 279
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Vikings should have won that game

My new least favorite team has to be the Eagles . . . . I'll never forgive them letting Owens get away with that none-catch!!

The main reason that Tice didn't challenge the catch is that they didn't replay the non-catch in the stadium.
So, the Eagles got it together and quickly kicked the extra point and then there is no challenge.

Of course, the officiating staff blew it in the first place...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › OFFICIAL NFL thread