or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When Phony Terror Alerts Attack!

When Phony Terror Alerts Attack!

post #1 of 53
In the "Pakistan Gets Serious Around Election Time" Category:

Last month TheNewRepublic reported that Pakistani officials were under pressure from the Bush administration to find some al-Qaeda bad guys before the election. What's more, a high-profile capture during the Democratic convention would be really great.

Sure enough, on the last day of the convention the Pakistanis announced they had captured an al-Qaeda terrorist who was one of the FBI's most wanted.

Then, on Monday, we learned that the heightened security alert in New York was due to information on a laptop computer that had been taken from a captured al-Qaeda terrorist after a 25-hour gun battle in mid-July in Pakistan.

The Pakistanis sure as busy. I wonder why they couldn't do this in the summer of 2002. And the summer of 2003. Why did we wait until the summer of 2004 to put the screws on them?

And how many more miraculous captures of al-Qaeda operatives by the Pakistanis can we look forward to between now and November 2? The question kind of answers itself, doesn't it?

And in the "Blatant Politicization of Terror" Category...Tom Ridge, Sunday:

Quote:
But we must understand that the kind of information available to us today is the result of the president's leadership in the war against terror, the reports that have led to this alert are the result of offensive intelligence and military operations overseas, as well as strong partnerships with our allies around the world, such as Pakistan.

Finally, in the "Old Info is New Info When it's Politically Motivated" category:

Much of the information that led authorities to raise the terror alert at several large financial institutions in the NY and D.C. areas was 3 or 4 years old...

NYT Tuesday Page One Splash To Claim: Intelligence and law enforcement officials 'had not yet found concrete evidence that a terror plot or preparatory surveillance operations were still under way'...

WASH POST Page One: Alerts Stemmed from Pre-9/11 Acts /// 'There is nothing right now that we're hearing that is new,' said one senior law enforcement official who was briefed on the alert. 'Why did we go to this level?... I still don't know that'...

POST: 'Most of the information was compiled prior to the Sept. 11 attacks and that there are serious doubts about the age of other, undated files'...

New York Times

HouChron

WaMonthly

TheNewRepublic
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2 of 53
More crying-wolf propaganda from this administration, to scare, coerce and manipulate the sheep into the gradual acceptance of a maximum security society, courtesy of BushCorp's greatest ally, the bearded one.

I see that Bush addressed the latest "terrorist" scare from the Rose Garden of the White House. "Here I am, Mr. Al Qaeda, bring it on". Look how Ridge and NYC business leaders addressed how to deal with "terrorism" by publicly holding their meeting in a so-called prime "target", CitiBank HQ on West 53rd St. in NYC and broadcasting allthe details all over the media!!! At the same time, they just opened the Statue of Liberty, another prime "target" to the public for the first time since 9-11, yet several main routes into Manhattan arenow locked down, causing traffic chaos.

Laurel and Hardy meets the Three Stooges.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #3 of 53
The net result of which it's going to be damn hard to get people to take a real threat seriously at this point. You can only cry "wolf" so many times.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #4 of 53
"White House and Bush campaign officials have long said that the details [of White House counterterrorism proposals] matter far less than the pictures and sounds of Mr. Bush talking in any way about his campaign against terrorism, which polls show is still his strongest card against Mr. Kerry," writes Elizabeth Bumiller in the Times today.

Ain't it the truth!

But wouldn't it be nice if we had a press which would make some effort to point out instances where the 'details' utterly belie what the president says he's doing?

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc..._01.php#003238
post #5 of 53
Calpundit over at Washington Monthly has a different take on the intelligence. Me? I think that there is a reasonable possibility that AQ has an interest in a new strike sooner and not later, and the chatter around that probably is legitimate.

BUT i'm extremely doubtful that the old surveillance has anything to do with the legitimate new possibility; i think that they just dressed these up together....

Calpundit

TERROR WARNINGS....I really don't know what to think about the New York terror alert this weekend that we now know was based on old information:

Quote:
More than half a dozen government officials interviewed yesterday, who declined to be identified because classified information is involved, said that most, if not all, of the information about the buildings seized by authorities in a raid in Pakistan last week was about three years old, and possibly older.

"There is nothing right now that we're hearing that is new," said one senior law enforcement official who was briefed on the alert. "Why did we go to this level? . . . I still don't know that."

But then there's this in the LA Times:

Quote:
Several senior U.S. counterterrorism officials said that the surveillance, obtained in Pakistan and reviewed late last week by authorities in Washington, came amid a continuing stream of intelligence corroborating Al Qaeda's determination to launch strikes in the U.S.

....On Monday, [Homeland Security Secretary Tom] Ridge told NBC's "Today" show that on a scale of 1 to 10, the quality of the intelligence prompting the alert was "a 10".

....in a briefing, White House homeland security advisor Frances Townsend described the intelligence as coming not just from Khan but from "multiple reporting streams that came together in such a way to give us real grave concern."

After spending some time reading about the CIA's "multiple streams" of intelligence regarding uranium from Niger, I'm not as impressed by this as I might have been a year ago. Still, even though my trusting nature has taken a beating lately, for now it looks like this is probably the real deal, not just a politically motivated announcement designed to scare everyone into voting for George Bush (The Only Candidate Who's Tough on Terror).

But trust is in short supply these days and mine could disappear in a blink. This is definitely a story worth following.
post #6 of 53
One More Time

Ridge Today:

Quote:
"We don't do politics in the Department of Homeland Security."

Two Days Ago, August 1, 2004:

Quote:
"But we must understand that the kind of information available to us today is the result of the President's leadership in the war against terror. The reports that have led to this alert are the result of offensive intelligence and military operations overseas, as well as strong partnerships with our allies around the world, such as Pakistan. Such operations and partnerships give us insight into the enemy so we can better target our defensive measures here and away from home."

Does anybody care that we as American citizens are being manipulated so egregiously? How many examples of direct manipulation of the terror alert level must we be shown before we GET IT?

Or are we all cool with what is so blatant?
post #7 of 53
Indeed. Who believes these alerts anymore? I'm 99% sure we won't see the next terrorist attack coming. It'll be right after we lower the "Terror level" or whatever it's called. And how the hell can people vote for this!? Did I mention I hate Bush? I can barely talk to Bush voters anymore I get so stressed out. I saw a minivan with a Bush sticker on it yesterday. I was like WTF mate! A Porsche I could at least understand. The Bush/Cheney 04 Minivan is just um, special.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #8 of 53
If indeed, any of these terror allerts have been politically motivated, than it is bad for all of us . . . crying wolve can get us eaten.

A question to ask is: who really would benefit politically from terror allerts?
Would it seem that BushCo is doing their job and 'let's not rock the boat'
or
does it make it seem like the job is not being done and 'why aren't we safer?'

and another thing: if in fact there is a terrror possibility that needs addressing than they better damn well get that allert ringing . . . . heads would roll real fast if something went off and no allert was raised and no fuss was made . . . maybe they are just generally expecting stuff and are watching their asses just in case . . .
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo

Laurel and Hardy meets the Three Stooges. [/B]

With the Keystone Cops under their vigilant command.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Does anybody care that we as American citizens are being manipulated so egregiously? How many examples of direct manipulation of the terror alert level must we be shown before we GET IT?

Or are we all cool with what is so blatant?

We're cool as long as we're Republican and it comes from "our team".
Yay Team!!!
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #11 of 53
It doesn't seem very phony to me.

Al Qaeda suspect reveals communication strategy

Next you'll tell me that it's, "Just like that movie Brazil" or some other such nonsense.
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
It doesn't seem very phony to me.

Al Qaeda suspect reveals communication strategy

Next you'll tell me that it's, "Just like that movie Brazil" or some other such nonsense.

Geez Scott! Have they been right about an attack yet?

And why did they capture this guy just now?

I suppose you'll say it was just chance that it happened during the DNC?

My dad used have a saying : " This stinks to high heaven! "
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac

Different guys. The capture that fulfilled the Administration's request to overshadow the DNC was Ahmed Khalifan Ghailani. He's a "big name" terrorist who was been indicted in US court for involvement in the 1998 Africa bombings, and was arrested in Pakistan on July 25. They held off announcing his arrest until hours before Kerry's speech.

This other guy, Muhammad Naeem Noor Khan, was a total unknown when he was picked up on July 13. They're still not even sure that's his real name. It's supposedly his computer that is the source for the recent alerts.
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Geez Scott! Have they been right about an attack yet?

I guess we don't know. They may not know. Maybe only the terrorist know. Do you want a bomb to go off or a plane to crash to feel better about it?

Quote:

Why not now? The unibomber was out there for years before his brother turned him in.

Quote:

You're right! They should have let him go and captured him later so as not the upset Kerry.

Quote:
My dad used have a saying : " This stinks to high heaven! "

Maybe we can just have a anti-Bush knee jerk reaction and not use the brains God (sorry if my religouse reference offends you) gave us.
post #15 of 53
Quote:
I guess we don't know. They may not know. Maybe only the terrorist know. Do you want a bomb to go off or a plane to crash to feel better about it?

Why not now? The unibomber was out there for years before his brother turned him in.

You're right! They should have let him go and captured him later so as not the upset Kerry.

Maybe we can just have a anti-Bush knee jerk reaction and not use the brains God (sorry if my religouse reference offends you) gave us.

See that's just the thing people are using the brains god gave them and this " Stinks to high heaven! ".
post #16 of 53
Quote:

Hate to break it to you Scott, but you're about the most knee-jerk reactionary I've seen here. Sometimes it's mind-boggling the stretches you go to to support our current President.
post #17 of 53
It always amazes me how naive people can truly be.
post #18 of 53
Quote:
It always amazes me how naive people can truly be.

Until a solid minority (100's of thousands) of people rise up and protest what our government is doing to us and other countries, they're going to keep doing it. It's like Americans as a people just don't care what our gov't is doing.
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
Until a solid minority (100's of thousands) of people rise up and protest what our government is doing to us and other countries, they're going to keep doing it. It's like Americans as a people just don't care what our gov't is doing.

In a lot of ways that is what the Howard Dean movement was all about. But you have the media majority that ridicules, mocks and, ultimately, castrates any semblance of reform, outrage or criticism.

On top of that you have those citizens who are well aware of what their government is doing and they actively champion it, condone it and defend it.

And then there's the other 50 million....sleepwalkers.
post #20 of 53
I think you guys are reading Ridge's statement wrong. Yes, it is political, but not in favor of the president.

Quote:
But we must understand that the kind of information available to us today is the result of the President's leadership in the war against terror.

Just like Bush's leadership, the information is weak-to-nonexistant.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
I think you guys are reading Ridge's statement wrong. Yes, it is political, but not in favor of the president.

Just like Bush's leadership, the information is weak-to-nonexistant.

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
Hate to break it to you Scott, but you're about the most knee-jerk reactionary I've seen here. Sometimes it's mind-boggling the stretches you go to to support our current President.

If by support you mean question every unsupproted claim anti-Bush people come up with then ... wait I lost it who's being a "knee-jerk reactionary" again?

It's clear this is all a Bush plot. The Pakistan ISS told me so. So it must be true.
post #23 of 53
Boy this keeps getting phonier and phonier all the time.

Sources: Al Qaeda may have made contact in U.S. recently

It's obvious Bush made this up for political gain. Rather than his opponents using real terror threats for political gain.
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Boy this keeps getting phonier and phonier all the time.

Sources: Al Qaeda may have made contact in U.S. recently

It's obvious Bush made this up for political gain. Rather than his opponents using real terror threats for political gain.

You know, dude, it's not like people mistrust the Bush admin just for the hell it.

The run-up to Iraq? The subsequent rationalizations? The white-house leaks that cast a negative light on people who have criticized the president? The series of untrue pronouncements that "accidently" happen to favor Bush policy? The stone-walling and secrecy around virtually every phase of governance? The demonstrated willingness to use policy apparatus to punish enemies? Not to mention the plain old lies, such as Cheney's continued insistence that Saddam collaborated with al Qaeda, the parade of former administration members that go public with their horror at how, in the Bush-white-house, politics trump policy every time, and the frequent vast gap between what Bush says and what he does.

The question is, why the fuck wouldn't any sane person regard conveniently timed terror alerts (and there have been a lot of them) with some skepticism?
Everything these guys have done suggests that Karl Rove pretty much calls the shots, and that practically everything they do is done with an eye to Bush's reelection.

It's not our fault that's how they've chosen to govern, and that it has made many of us more than a little cynical about motives and reasons.

It is your fault, however, that you absolutely refuse to acknowledge the obvious, and keep pretending that anybody who does is somehow seized with an irrational dislike of Bush.

See, the deal is, we're just paying attention.
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
You know, dude, it's not like people mistrust the Bush admin just for the hell it.

The run-up to Iraq? The subsequent rationalizations? The white-house leaks that cast a negative light on people who have criticized the president? The series of untrue pronouncements that "accidently" happen to favor Bush policy? The stone-walling and secrecy around virtually every phase of governance? The demonstrated willingness to use policy apparatus to punish enemies? Not to mention the plain old lies, such as Cheney's continued insistence that Saddam collaborated with al Qaeda, the parade of former administration members that go public with their horror at how, in the Bush-white-house, politics trump policy every time, and the frequent vast gap between what Bush says and what he does.

The question is, why the fuck wouldn't any sane person regard conveniently timed terror alerts (and there have been a lot of them) with some skepticism?
Everything these guys have done suggests that Karl Rove pretty much calls the shots, and that practically everything they do is done with an eye to Bush's reelection.

It's not our fault that's how they've chosen to govern, and that it has made many of us more than a little cynical about motives and reasons.

It is your fault, however, that you absolutely refuse to acknowledge the obvious, and keep pretending that anybody who does is somehow seized with an irrational dislike of Bush.

See, the deal is, we're just paying attention.

ZIIIING! Well said.
post #26 of 53
Paying attention to what?

Pakistan intel may be driving arrests

Quote:
Al Qaeda suspect said to have cased financial buildings

Thursday, August 5, 2004 Posted: 10:58 PM EDT (0258 GMT)

(CNN) -- The arrests of more than a dozen terror suspects around the world this week may have been fueled by intelligence from Pakistan, and many of the suspects are alleged to have strong ties to al Qaeda.

One man arrested in a British roundup of al Qaeda suspects is believed to have been on the ground in New York in 2001 conducting reconnaissance of financial buildings identified recently as possible attack targets, a U.S. law enforcement source told CNN.

It's all a big fabrication by Bush! Just like that movie Rio.
post #27 of 53
Quote:
If by support you mean question every unsupproted claim anti-Bush people come up with then ... wait I lost it who's being a "knee-jerk reactionary" again?

It's clear this is all a Bush plot. The Pakistan ISS told me so. So it must be true.

You'll note that I didn't make a stink about its supposed falseness.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #28 of 53
Quote:

No one is saying it's all a fabrication. But we're skeptical of how the Administration reacted to this info. Tom Ridge held a no-notice Sunday press conference to announce a specific new threat, which was followed by a major mobilization of resources to defend against this apparently imminent, specific threat. The whole thing had (was scripted to have?) a sense of immediacy and crisis, and so grabbed headlines around the country.

In reality, it leaked out a few days later, the threat, while real, was no different this Monday than last Monday. It's a long-term threat, not unlike lots of other long-term threats we face. There's nothing immediate or critical about it. The only difference is that we now know about it. It's not like the financial district of NYC or downtown DC was undefended last week, or that no one thought Wall Street might be a target. But now we'll keep a closer eye on those places. However, even the local law enforcement feels they were duped into a needless (and very expensive) over-reaction. The whole things smacks of a scripted attempt to grab and hold the public's attention, perhaps to divert it from certain events of last week. Praising the President's leadership at the end of the press conference was just the icing on the cake.

How could any right-thinking American not be skeptical at this point? Not of al-Qaeda, or the threat they pose - but of how much our current leaders see an opportunity in that threat, and an opportunity for what?
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Paying attention to what?

Pakistan intel may be driving arrests

Um, Scott, paying attention to the fact that after a lengthy lull, just by coincidence, there is a sudden burst of activity on the WOT front, including the high value target in Pakistan that the New Republic predicted would be produced during the democratic convention (the Pakistani press conference was held at midnight, for god's sake, which "just happened" to coincided with the finish of Kerry's acceptance speech), the high security in New York (hey, did you know Laura Bush was in one of the heavily defended buildings signing autographs?), the arrests in England, 2 mosque leaders arrested in an Albany sting operation in connection with a plot to import shoulder fired missiles, a guy in Chicago, also caught in a sting operation, who just wanted to blow up a government building, the amazing reappearance of the anthrax case (remember anthrax?), and "renewed" vigor in the Pakistani hunt for al Qaeda.

Am I saying these are all made up? Of course not. I'm saying that the fact that this extraordinary burst of arrests and "new information" has taken place immediately after the democratic convention smacks of manipulating the timing of investigations/arrests/press conferences to push Kerry and the dems off the front pages.

Oh, it doesn't smack, it goddamn well shouts. As I said, given the track record of the Bushies, how else can anyone take this? They're not even trying to be subtle, cause they know there are plenty of people like you who will say: "great work, way to wage that war on terror, no, I don't think there is anything in the least surprising in the fact that there has been more activity on the intel/investigation/arrest front in the week since the democratic convention than in the previous 6 months. It's is just a coincidence, and people who think otherwise are clearly Bush haters that don't take the WOT seriously and may well secretly in their hearts support al Qaeda since they also hate America"

The galling thing is this shouldn't be a partisan complaint. Any American should be pissed off that the white house is willing to play politics with the WOT. Any American should be able to discern that politics are indeed being played.

I mean, look at that list again (and you know that this will continue, with more "key" arrests and scary new intel and orange alerts, right on through to November) and tell me with a straight face that it's all just a coincidence. Tell me the timing is a coincidence.

I think you must know that it's not, and you're glad they're doing it, because all that matters is "your" side winning.

At which point, you see, you are no longer a champion of the United States of America, but just of Bush and the republicans. You are actually pissing on the United States of America, because Bush and the republicans could give a rat's ass about the rule of law, justice, respecting the American people, or the constitution (except as a pretext for pandering to fundies).

So, Scott, I guess the question is, "why do you hate America?"
post #30 of 53
Yea it's all a grand conspiracy across three different continents.
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Yea it's all a grand conspiracy across three different continents.

Way to answer a well-articulated post full of detailed specifics.

You look really good and you're definitely winning this argument.
post #32 of 53
Winning what augment? A conspiracy theory based on circumstantial evidence (if you can even call it that) and political bias.
post #33 of 53
I've never come across anyone prouder of his capacity to be bullshitted.
post #34 of 53
From the Washington Note:

I received the following email from a trusted source, and while much of the note is speculative, it indicts the inaction about pre-9/11 intelligence even further:

"A little bird told me that the information on the Citibank Tower, the World Bank, etc. -- the stuff that Ridge trumpeted on Sunday -- also included info on the World Trade Center.

You might pause over that for a moment, because if that's true -- and who knows what to believe, other than nobody -- then that suggests, at least potentially, that the same data that has the feds blocking off streets and searching taxicabs in August 2004 left them blissfully uninterested in protecting the WTC in 2001. I mean, if one pauses to reflect on what's on the record -- that at least some of the info predates 9-11 by a good long time -- then it's hard to imagine that al-Qaeda was doing "casing" of Manhattan, DC, and Newark office buildings prior to 9-11 while NOT doing similar case-work on the much more prominent WTC.

And who knows? Maybe the Pentagon, White House, and Congress, too. To be sure, few took the threat of terror sufficiently seriously pre-9-11, but of course, few of us got briefing memos on 8/6/01 entitled, "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S." But a few did.

So maybe we should stop worrying about reminding Americans to acquire duct tape and bottled water -- and consider the question of what ELSE the Homeland Re-Election Department might be concealing for obviously damage-control purposes."

If the recent intelligence about potential attacks on U.S. financial centers does predate 9/11, then should we feel good that we got away with several years of relatively smooth taxi cab rides to Capitol Hill? Or should we be dismayed that we should have had these inspection points and closed thoroughfares all along?
post #35 of 53
post #36 of 53
Quote:

post #37 of 53
Looks like Bush fucked up again.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Looks like Bush fucked up again.

OMFG so releasing the details of this guy's arrest to drive the DNC off the front page was more important than what had been a successful intelligence operation?

How low can the GOP go? I have never, ever in my life seen such a lack of integrity.
post #39 of 53
So now the terror alerts are not phony? Make up your fucking minds already.
post #40 of 53
Quote:
So now the terror alerts are not phony? Make up your fucking minds already.

What's phony is the timing. What made it necessary to raise alert levels and mobilize local law enforcement, this week, as opposed to last week, last month, or even last year, as is has been stated that much of the intelligence used was years old.

Try to pay fucking attention, already.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When Phony Terror Alerts Attack!