or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Library 3.0

Library 3.0

post #1 of 170
Wow does this look impressive.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/deliciouslibrary.html

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

post #2 of 170
Great Job to Mike Matas, Greg Titus and Wil Shipley. Can't forget the original author Andrew K as well. This is how Mac software is supposed to look. Inviting and easy but yet powerful at the same time. I'll definitely be buying this program. Love the iSight scanning feature, that's worth the price of admission alone IMO.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Great Job to Mike Matas, Greg Titus and Wil Shipley. Can't forget the original author Andrew K as well. This is how Mac software is supposed to look. Inviting and easy but yet powerful at the same time. I'll definitely be buying this program. Love the iSight scanning feature, that's worth the price of admission alone IMO.

I could not have said it better. It is applications like these that make using a Macintosh stand out. You just cannot get this kind of beauty on Windows, and even if someone tried it would be crippled and most likely dog slow.
post #4 of 170
this is a must have
really looks good and at home we all love our movies and books!
post #5 of 170
Does the bar code scanning work with a regular digital camera?
Why be trapped behind Windows and Gates when you can live freely with a Mac.

Macs:
PowerMac G5 Quad
4 2.5Ghz PowerPC G5 Cores
1GB RAM (will be more soon)
nVidia GeForce 7800 GT Graphics Card
2x500G...
Why be trapped behind Windows and Gates when you can live freely with a Mac.

Macs:
PowerMac G5 Quad
4 2.5Ghz PowerPC G5 Cores
1GB RAM (will be more soon)
nVidia GeForce 7800 GT Graphics Card
2x500G...
post #6 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Agent Macintosh
Does the bar code scanning work with a regular digital camera?

Yes.
post #7 of 170
Wow! This software looks cool! I'll definitely be picking this up.

[edit] Does anyone know what the price of admission will be for this software?
post #8 of 170
Now that really seems like an interesting application. The interface seems attractive and easy to use as well and looks at home with other iLife apps. I'll probably pick up a copy when it's available.

I really like the idea of using the iSight to read the codes. Very slick indeed. I may break down and get one at some point.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #9 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
Now that really seems like an interesting application. The interface seems attractive and easy to use as well and looks at home with other iLife apps. I'll probably pick up a copy when it's available.

I really like the idea of using the iSight to read the codes. Very slick indeed. I may break down and get one at some point.

I'm with you. This is probably the first killer app (beyond iChat AV, but you have to have someone on the other end) that makes me want to get an iSight.

Although if it works with digicams I may just use my Rebel.
post #10 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
I'm with you. This is probably the first killer app (beyond iChat AV, but you have to have someone on the other end) that makes me want to get an iSight.

My thoughts exactly. Very cool app. One more fix for the anal-retentive among us!
post #11 of 170
it will most likely have an option to buy a cheap USB bar-code reader with the software... If I had to guess I would think something like $20-$30 for it. Maybe cheaper. The software itself will probably cost the same, unless they want to make a killing (and they have every right to) and price it near $50-$70...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #12 of 170
Holy crap that looks slick.

I'm getting it. And I'm getting it for my mom, too, since she's up to her eyeballs in books.

Unfortunately, a lot of those books predate bar codes, sometimes by a century or so...
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #13 of 170
Looks very nice. I'm trying to decide if it's overkill for inventory, or what I could really use it for. I understand that it's targeting real libraries as much as anyone else, and that it does sync with one's iPod so you have book info on the go for what that's worth.

Hm, I'm really trying to find an excuse to get it.
post #14 of 170
what happens if Amazon changes their database system? or if a book isn't in their system?

seems odd to depend on a store's inventory and website for data retrieval. or am i missing something?
post #15 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
what happens if Amazon changes their database system? or if a book isn't in their system?

seems odd to depend on a store's inventory and website for data retrieval. or am i missing something?

Amazon offers web services for precisely this sort of application.

Original music:

Original music:
post #16 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph

well that explains it
post #17 of 170
I hope they offer skins for the boards to match your furniture - I really am not into this whole cheesy looking wood thing. It would be cool if it would be able reflect the trends in contemporary (and maybe even historic) furnishing.
post #18 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by RolandG
I hope they offer skins for the boards to match your furniture - I really am not into this whole cheesy looking wood thing. It would be cool if it would be able reflect the trends in contemporary (and maybe even historic) furnishing.

exactly!

GarageBand's wood trim cr*p gotta go too
post #19 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Amorph

What if Amazon goes down?
post #20 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by RolandG

i guess you didn't notice that there is at least one alternate "metal shelf" theme in there.

but hey, i like the wood in THIS context.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #21 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut

well, no, you're right. but when you're a small developer, you have to take what you can get. and a LOT of apps have made hooks into the amazon system for stuff such as this. but you take your money and you bet the pony that you think will at least place. amazon seems like a safe bet, at least for the next few years, after which everyone will have wetware cranial insertion points for their ipods and we won't need to catalog any of this earth-bound stuff anymore (hey, imagine spotlight enhanced vision!)

post #22 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
What if Amazon goes down?

You mean like I've been wishing they would?

Well, Apple and Amazon could both go down at the same time that the internet is abandoned to spammers and Mt. Rainer buries Seattle in boiling mud, but in the meantime I can't really blame them for offering what they can with what's available.

I could wish for integration with a cooler bookstore, like Powell's, though...

Original music:

Original music:
post #23 of 170
Quote:
Well, Apple and Amazon could both go down at the same time that the internet is abandoned to spammers and Mt. Rainer buries Seattle in boiling mud

Hey! I got family here!

I like this app. For insurance purposes it would be nice to be able to backup the data and any pertinent info to a CD along with photographs of the physical libraries. In the event of theft or fire it'd be a lot easier to deal with your insurance company.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #24 of 170
And Amazon has a very extense catalog. So it works to use it for this type of applications.
post #25 of 170
I agree that it rocks. I wonder if it will support automatically loading and playing dvd disc images. In a couple years when cheap terabyte drives are available and you will be able to copy your entire DVD collection to them.

I, for one, have always dreamed of having all my media accessable through my mac.

Don't get me started on the books...

--
"Evolution is not random. Mutation is random, but natural selection is entirely non-random. Evolution doesn't predict that all the complexity of life just came together randomly. "

--
"Evolution is not random. Mutation is random, but natural selection is entirely non-random. Evolution doesn't predict that all the complexity of life just came together randomly. "

post #26 of 170
looks fab!

wondering how it will deal with music already in my itunes library? hopefully it will just import it in automatically -- don't want to get into digging out all my cd's again as i've only just finished ripping them!
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #27 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordstrodamus
I agree that it rocks. I wonder if it will support automatically loading and playing dvd disc images. In a couple years when cheap terabyte drives are available and you will be able to copy your entire DVD collection to them.

I, for one, have always dreamed of having all my media accessable through my mac.

Don't get me started on the books...

No...this isn't a launcher...it's a cataloger of physical objects.

I'm currently working on a ROM launcher for emulators. I might do something similar for DVD rips, eBooks, and installed games.
post #28 of 170
any idea when this is going to be released?
post #29 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by othello
any idea when this is going to be released?

I emailed Mike Matas and he said sometime within the next month or two!
post #30 of 170
just thinking -- hope they have an option to change the amazon store you can use i.e. US or UK.

uk covers are sometimes different to us ones!
post #31 of 170
I hope they have a hidden "other" category where you can scan anything with a barcode. It would be pretty cool if I could have an inventory of EVERYTHING that comes into my house.

I mean, Amazon sells just about everything as it is. I'd love to scan in appliances, tools, etc. and create a file with scans of my reciepts and waranty information.

Yeah, yeah.. I know, it's a little beyond it's purpose, but this software certainly has the capability, why not leave it enabled for the adventurous?

--

--

post #32 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordstrodamus
I hope they have a hidden "other" category where you can scan anything with a barcode. It would be pretty cool if I could have an inventory of EVERYTHING that comes into my house.

I mean, Amazon sells just about everything as it is. I'd love to scan in appliances, tools, etc. and create a file with scans of my reciepts and waranty information.

Yeah, yeah.. I know, it's a little beyond it's purpose, but this software certainly has the capability, why not leave it enabled for the adventurous?

If they did this, they'd have a whole new market to sell to; people who want all of the belongings (and appropriate sales receipts) recorded in case their house goes up in flames. Heck, use the iSight to take pics and stick the pics on the shelves even.
post #33 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
i guess you didn't notice that there is at least one alternate "metal shelf" theme in there.

but hey, i like the wood in THIS context.

The metal shelf is what appears under Incoming, which is where all imported items start out. Scanned items that successfully get information returned from Amazon move into the appropriate collection. As the information is retrieved the box on the shelf indicates that it's getting the info. If an error of some kind happens (like information is not found) the box then indicates that and you can select the item and manually enter the details on the right hand side.
post #34 of 170
Is there an ETA for this yet?
post #35 of 170
I TOO THINK THAT THIS LOOKS GOOD!!! But only because I am anally retentive, and love the idea of cataloging all my belongings (I got DVDmanager from version tracker last week and am half way thru entering all my dvd's... but will stop now and wait for this).

One question tho... If you already own the product (DVD for example), why would you then buy it from Amazon? Why do you need the Buy Now Option? Surely you wouldn't be cataloging things you plan on buying in the near future?

And who ever finds out about a release date, post it here so we can all get our dirty little mits all over this thing.

iDunno
Owen stop reading my posts.
post #36 of 170
The co-developer (graphics developer), Michael Matas used to be a regular over here, speling mistakes and all . He's like 17 years old now. Wish he would come and visit us sometimes, and tell us about his product.
post #37 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
The co-developer (graphics developer), Michael Matas used to be a regular over here, speling mistakes and all . He's like 17 years old now. Wish he would come and visit us sometimes, and tell us about his product.

Hehe! Poor guy, that's all people ever talked about...his spelling mistakes.
post #38 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Hehe! Poor guy, that's all people ever talked about...his spelling mistakes.

No, his icons were really nice, and that's what got him the gig with Omni. Now, looking at what he's done with Library 3.0, I'm amazed. That kid is awesome.
post #39 of 170
I emailed michael matas last night and asked him when we could expect a full version of this to be completed and he replied, "Hopefully, in about a month". I didn't ask about price but that at least gives everyone a time frame to save up for.
Luther
post #40 of 170
Maybe you should ask him the price

And tell him to hurry up.... surely he can see that he has a waiting audience, just because he is developing for Apple doesn't mean he needs to act like them

iDunno
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Library 3.0