or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Library 3.0

Library 3.0 - Page 3

post #81 of 170
Yes, like said above, they are custom libraries just like you would make in iTunes. For example, I am in dental school and I put all my dental books into one list just like you would do a playlist in itunes. You could do mystery, drama, comedy, religious, etc. Definitely would help organize if you had a huge library like iTunes.

wjsdelicious

Sorry about talking about the beta. I did not mean to step on any toes. I was told to tell the world about my thoughts on the software. Obviously, I think VERY highly of the software and love testing. Won't say anymore about features beyond what is obvious from the pics on thinksecret. Again, sorry.
post #82 of 170
loving this love-fest

can't wait for the release -- yet another AI member with credit card sitting waiting! and i too have bought an isight to replace my old logitech quickcam for this app...

oh the wait is too much!
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #83 of 170
It would be totally cool if the program could look at the predominant colours in the front picture and make a spine out of it using the title and those colours .

I don't know if this has been discussed, but are there any Rendezvous features? Showing off your library?

Personally, those beta screenshots just blew me away. I would love to have this app, even if I would not use it, just because it looks so fucking cool!

Knowing what mike can produce I am very excited!
post #84 of 170
Is there, or have you thought about implementing, .Mac syncing? Say if a mate wanted to know what DVD's you had... I could give him a link to a page at my .mac account and he could browse all the titles?

Could be a good idea.

Or it could be more work that would delay the release, which is something that none of us here want.

Forget about it, Save it for 4.0

iDunno
Owen stop reading my posts.
post #85 of 170
Any updates?
post #86 of 170
I'm working on doing our custom store (it's built into the app so it'll be a LOT more friendly than your average web store) right now, then I'm going to fix a couple silly bugs that got in the last beta, and then we'll do one more beta and (gulp) ship.
post #87 of 170
Estimated time till ship?

I am soooooooooo looking forward to this.

iDunno
post #88 of 170
wjsdelicious,

Because I obviously have nothing else to do, I re-read the ThinkSecret article on Library 3.0.

Among the features it lists is 'book selling'... could you give us a quick idea of what this option means?

Is it selling through Amazon? Selling books we have, like a good ol' fashioned 2nd hand book shop?

iDunno.
post #89 of 170
Check it out!!!!!!!!! The website has been updated with some new info.

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

No download as yet though, but must be close now.
post #90 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by deestar
Check it out!!!!!!!!! The website has been updated with some new info.

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

No download as yet though, but must be close now.

Nice! Please tell us an ETA? Please?
post #91 of 170
Very nice website, now to only try the product!
post #92 of 170
Where's the new info? It looks like the same page that has always been up.

iDunno
post #93 of 170
This doesn't look different to you?

Also make sure you try the site with omniweb or safari or it tells you that you need a modern browser
post #94 of 170
Sweet, now it is working, last time it just loaded the old default page.

It looks sweeeeeeet.

iDunno
post #95 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by wjsdelicious
I'm working on doing our custom store (it's built into the app so it'll be a LOT more friendly than your average web store) right now, then I'm going to fix a couple silly bugs that got in the last beta, and then we'll do one more beta and (gulp) ship.

How is the web-export look?
post #96 of 170
LoL. Delicious Error indeed. It wont allow IE 6 with the latest patches and Firefox 0.93 to view the website. This Windows Vs. Apple game is getting old.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #97 of 170
Quote:
LoL. Delicious Error indeed. It wont allow IE 6 with the latest patches and Firefox 0.93 to view the website. This Windows Vs. Apple game is getting old.

It's not a game -- we don't intentionally not support Windows, we just wrote the site with CSS and it doesn't work on a lot of browsers with sketchier CSS support. We made the decision to go ahead and launch the site and then work on writing all the specific CSS support for each different kind of browser.

We all think it's unfortunate that 1/3rd of the people going to the site are getting the error page because they are using Mozilla or IE, which is part of why we haven't talked about the site publicly yet. (We also think it's unfortunate that IE for Windows stinks so bad, but browser wars are a fight I no longer have to worry about, thank gord.)

-Wil
post #98 of 170
But I onlu use Safari, and the first time it wouldn't met me in.

But the second time.... wooooweeeee.

iDunno
post #99 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by wjsdelicious
It's not a game -- we don't intentionally not support Windows, we just wrote the site with CSS and it doesn't work on a lot of browsers with sketchier CSS support. We made the decision to go ahead and launch the site and then work on writing all the specific CSS support for each different kind of browser.

We all think it's unfortunate that 1/3rd of the people going to the site are getting the error page because they are using Mozilla or IE, which is part of why we haven't talked about the site publicly yet. (We also think it's unfortunate that IE for Windows stinks so bad, but browser wars are a fight I no longer have to worry about, thank gord.)

-Wil

You are writing an app for Mac's, and all Mac's have Safari... you should only worry about Safari at this early stage.

I showed a mate of mine Library at your website, and also the TS report. He thought it looked awesome, but he is a Winblows user... are there any plans to make a windows version?
post #100 of 170
Quote:
plans to make a windows version

Much like Apple, we don't really talk about future plans. Also, no, we don't have any. I mean, we might do it someday, but it'd be a horrible ugly effort and would suck up a ton of time and I'd prefer to spend my time innovating and writing new apps.

On the other hand, if we found some Windows developers we trusted we might partner with them. So, who knows?

-W
post #101 of 170
post #102 of 170
Thanks for making the wait worse KKS.
post #103 of 170
Okay, should be anyday now right Wil? 8)
post #104 of 170
please?
post #105 of 170
wjsdelicious, I know this is a hardware question but it does have to do with Library, how much will you be selling the Flic® Wireless Laser Bar Code Scanner for? I have seen it for around 199.95 which is not exactly cheap. Any information you could provide us would be great.

P.S. How's the program looking?
post #106 of 170
just release it god damn!!

post #107 of 170
I now have my dual 2 G5, and anew 19in monitor (not Apple... spent all my money on the comp, the screen is a cheapey).... I was hoping I would get my G5 before Library came out... and I have.... So Now Release Library!

iDunno
post #108 of 170
as everyone else is saying... please dear god release it!

What happens for DVDs that on Amazoin.com the cover image has other information like copyright information. I am thinking of the Return of the King extended edition cover that has studio information on it.
post #109 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Nebagakid
as everyone else is saying... please dear god release it!

What happens for DVDs that on Amazoin.com the cover image has other information like copyright information. I am thinking of the Return of the King extended edition cover that has studio information on it.

Or what about that of a TV on DVD boxset that shows the disks and the artwork?
post #110 of 170
I'm beginning to wonder if this is about as real as CherryOS. That's a joke. I kid the Delicious Monster. Don't want a F-off from Mike. Can't wait to get my hands on it, and to see what's next.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #111 of 170
Wow...I've been reading up on the features and I'm fuckin' impressed with this app's integration with Apple apps and the hardware.

Everyone knows there will be iSight scanning. Everyone knows you can also buy a Flic Wireless Laser Scanner. But the cool part is that the scanner remembers 500 barcodes and imports them into Library 3.0 when you're back in range if you happened to be out of range when scanning your belongings. That's frickin' awesome.

Dragging items from your shelf to Mail creates an e-mail with a pre-formatted message urging your friends to get said item. Neat.

The most original feature though is the checkout process. You're lending a book or DVD to someone? Drag the item onto his Address Book card (or name?) and Library 3.0 automatically marks it as lent and sets the due-date in iCal.

iPod syncing...cool. Printing...cool. Live-searching...Panther and Tiger cool.

Voice searching? Übercool!

All this plus built-in Amazon shopping and recommendations.

It's like the iTMS for the rest of your life.

This app is pretty much essential to everyone that has Mac OS X. The quality and features of this app seem to be mind-boggling. Everyone has books and music CDs. Most people have DVDs and a lot of people have computer games also.

Most people have so many of these that managing it all is almost impossible. How would you know if someone took one of your music CDs out of your 200 CD collection?

Even if you're not into managing your collection, if you're someone that likes to buy stuff off Amazon, this is the app.

If you're living with a sister that pretty much grabs your movies without your permission and you don't realize it until you look at a list of stuff you own (this is were Library 3.0 shines for me), and realize you actually own the Simpsons Season 4 DVDs but they're not physically in your bookshelf, you can go slap your sister real hard and take those DVDs back. This alone will be worth whatever Delicious Monster charges for this app. I'll finally know what movies my sister is sneaking into her room and forgetting to tell me.

If I can make only one suggestion, I'd say release the app now and save some features for version 2.0. Afterall, it's been a month.
post #112 of 170
hey, here's a suggestion to the gang from someone who doesn't really own a lot of CDs/DVDs/Books (well, not recent ones)... couldn't this interface also work really well for things YOU check out from OTHER places?

think about it... if i go to blockbuster, or gets movies from netflix, or go to the public or school library... bring it home, scan in the codes, and type in when they are due back at their destination (or, of course, select it in ical). hmmm... for instance, my blockbuster library says i have four things checked out, two games, two movies, and one's due tomorrow... integrate it with ical and mail to notify you at work so you can stop there on your way home... the mind BOGGLES with the possibilities of an nice polished super-graphic-goodness databse app like this.

you have NO IDEA how much money that would have saved me in overdue charges alone back in college.

well, maybe this would be better saved for library 3.5 or 4.0, but i'll throw it out there anyway.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #113 of 170
It does look like a breakthrough app. Further down the road, it seems to me, the core of this might morph into some other delicious apps as well. The Monster is downright tasty.
post #114 of 170
DM should definitely develop a console setup with this app, with a robust database, include POS and complete inventory management and customer database, and sell it to every mom and pop video chain in the world. I know, it's lots of work but they would make a killing.
post #115 of 170
First I think they should release it
post #116 of 170
Yeah, I am for them releasing it first, and then working on future versions.
post #117 of 170
agreed!

maybe the next version could have network sharing so multiple people could look up the same information...

and i'm very keen to have amazon UK integration in as soon as possible
post #118 of 170
woohoo! 14 Days and counting....

I see this program is $40.00 with the optional barcode scanner for $175.00....will Library be bundled with the purchase or will it be an additional $40.00 on top of that?
post #119 of 170
What ! What have I missed? Is there a shipping date I haven't seen...?

brb... heading over to their website.

iDunno
post #120 of 170
Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
woohoo! 14 Days and counting....

I see this program is $40.00 with the optional barcode scanner for $175.00....will Library be bundled with the purchase or will it be an additional $40.00 on top of that?

Back... I couldn't see anything at the website....TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!

iDunno
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Library 3.0