or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Alan Keyes: Hypocrite Extraordinaire

Alan Keyes: Hypocrite Extraordinaire - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Mr. Keyes, Carpetbagger
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
Mr. Keyes, Carpetbagger

Goshdurnit what's our community login for Washington Post again?
post #43 of 72
try bugmenot.com

Also, check out this endorsement
Quote:
"I spent five weeks trying to find good people," said Mr. Hastert, who said he approached state legislators and the former Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka and Gary Fencik, an Ivy Leaguer who was a hard-hitting safety.

"I got down into last week interviewing a 70-year-old guy who was a great farm broadcaster in Illinois," Mr. Hastert said. "He decided because of his health problems he couldn't do it. You know, we were down we needed to find somebody to run, somebody who wanted to run. And, you know, Alan Keyes wants to run, and I hope he's a good candidate."

So basically, he was the absolute last choice. Got it.
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
try bugmenot.com

So according to this it wasn't about color, which is clearly contrary to the Washpost article.

Just saying...\
post #45 of 72
Quote:
try bugmenot.com

It's always the last choice isn't it?
post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
It's always the last choice isn't it?

Good point. But that he was allegedly picked after Mike Ditka and some 70 year old farm gaffer says quite a bit, doesn't it?
post #47 of 72
"I know! Let's get Mikey to run. He'll run for anything!"
</lifecerealcommercialparody>
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #48 of 72
I love how Republicans are playing down Jack Ryan's sex scandal. Hypocrites and liars.
proud resident of a failed state
post #49 of 72
Quote:
This endorsement of Alan Keyes by a prominent Illinois Republican is so deeply feeble that I'm not certain it counts as an endorsement. But former Illinois Governor James R. Thompson tells the Sun-Times: ""I'd be inclined to vote Republican. His views are very conservative. Some of his positions would make me uncomfortable as a voter. I'm willing to give him a chance to tell the people of Illinois what his views are. I have not endorsed him."

Okay, I guess on second thought we can say definitively that that was not an endorsement. But I'm going to let it in anyway.

Meanwhile, yesterday Keyes gave a Chicago television station an impromptu performance of 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow', which you can see here.

It's actually not bad, makes me think he may have missed his true calling. Of course, Keyes isn't in Maryland any more, or Kansas for that matter. So, if he's offering renditions of appropriate-to-the-moment tunes, I think I would have suggested Otis Redding's classic 'Mr. Pitiful." But of course I wasn't there.

And finally we have one of the first verbal clashes between the two men. Keyes is insisting that Obama agree to meet him in no less than six debates, as he had apparently agreed to do with departed-nominee Jack Ryan.

Obama says he'll debate Keyes two or three times, not six.

To which Keyes responded: "So let's see. Before I came on the scene, Barack Obama thought of himself as if he was in the same class as Lincoln and Douglas in the critical drama of American life. And now he realizes that he's not in that class. Well, I think that the state of Illinois remains in that class. . . . And I think that it is a disservice to the people of this state to allow him to cower in timidity, and before the real historic challenge that is before us in this campaign."

Obama replied, pretty cleverly I thought, that the six debate offer was "a special for in-state residents."

And then Keyes with this marvelous piece of ridiculousness: "OK. So a guy from out of state steps into the ring, and Barack Obama wants to get out of the ring. I don't know, because you see when he goes into the Senate of the United States, if he should get there, he's not going to find one person from out of state standing there. He's going to find 98 people from out of state. . . . If he's not ready for me, he's not ready for the Senate of the United States."

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/arc..._08.php#003268

Note the link in the quote to see him singing. You'll need to take off the popup blockers.
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
I love how Republicans are playing down Jack Ryan's sex scandal. Hypocrites and liars.

Shouldn't a sex scandal at least involve some sex. I mean, oral, anal, traditional/vaginal..whatever.

I didn't know a desire was a crime yet or even a scandal.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #51 of 72
More downplaying... hilarious.
post #52 of 72
Quote:
More downplaying... hilarious.

Hilarious is your hypocrisy.

Nick

Edit: I suck.

post #53 of 72
And your spelling.

But in all seriousness, the Jack Ryan divorce papers were indeed scandalous-- especially to his own party. You can reduce the whole episode to just "desire," but the fact that his desire was documented in the divorce papers and subsequently publicized in the press is what made it a scandal (assuming an offended Illinois Republican Party, of course). Its release did in fact create a controversy that ultimately forced Ryan to withdraw his candidacy. So, you're wrong. "Sex scandal" does not merely refer to a physical act, but to desires, preferences, etc. that are somehow publicized.

I don't think any of that matters, personally.
post #54 of 72
Quote:

I don't understand your point. He's not running anymore. He's no longer a factor in the race. Why would either side play it up?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #55 of 72
No need to "play it up" but the moral nannies that is the Republican party constituency are trying to downplay Ryan's perversion.

They are in such a defensive, reactionary frenzy that honest self-appraisal is impossible.

I still think Bush is going to win, but this naked desperation makes me think the conservatives can feel that their hold on the White House is nearing intermission.
post #56 of 72
An example or two of this "downplaying" would be helpful.

If you're contrasting this with the Clinton scandal, it's helpful to remember that Clinton's escapades were carried out during the workday inside the Oval Office. That's a big reason the thing went nuclear.

Jack Ryan's sordid tale is more akin to Gary Hart, the ex-Presidential candidate who dropped out after the Donna Rice affair.

He's off the radar and nobody really cares - a fate that now awaits Mr. Ryan.
post #57 of 72
Quote:
No need to "play it up" but the moral nannies that is the Republican party constituency are trying to downplay Ryan's perversion.

Groverat, you know my standpoint as a liberal as well as anyone. While it's ironic that the same Republicans who thrashed Clinton for his mistakes are "downplaying" this, I find your assertion (and others') that it's some kind of "perversion" to be insulting. Sex is an important part of life, and if some people like to engage in perfectly harmless acts of exhibitionism or voyeurism, that's in no way "perversion". I'm sure you never do it without turning off the lights first and in the missionary position only. Prude.

Sex is a wonderful thing, and if I had a willing girlfriend and a suitable venue, I'd love to be as exhibitionist as possible with her.

This should not have been an issue.

Perversion is relative, and just like so many other issues, is simply a result of judgmental thinking. If you don't like it, don't do it.
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Perversion is relative, and just like so many other issues, is simply a result of judgmental thinking.

Relative to what? Did you not just basically invalidate your entire tirade by saying it was relative?

If relative to his wife, then obviously it was perversion.
post #59 of 72
The difference between us is that if I think something is an unattractive practice to me (like what's the point of heterosexual anal intercourse?) but realize that other people enjoy it and don't find it perverted, I don't call that practice a "perversion". To do so is judgmental.

Only the things that I most strongly object to will I call unacceptable (like rape and child sex).

If somebody somewhere enjoys something, even if I wouldn't personally enjoy it, and it doesn't cause anybody any harm, then it cannot possibly be a perversion.
post #60 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
If somebody somewhere enjoys something, even if I wouldn't personally enjoy it, and it doesn't cause anybody any harm, then it cannot possibly be a perversion.

So it's not relative?
post #61 of 72
So what does Chicago's Black community think of keyes?
Quote:
Keyes, an African-American, was greeted with a resounding chorus of jeers and boos that bordered on outright hostility.

"Go back to Maryland!" and "Down with Keyes!" were the most common refrains...

So when Obama's political challenger appeared Saturday, the reception was not pretty. Over the first couple of blocks of the parade route, Keyes got a few down-turned thumbs and groans of dissent.

But as the crowds grew thicker and Keyes inched closer to a sea of Obama supporters, spectators grew more aggressive in denouncing him. As Keyes tried to shake hands between 47th and 48th Streets, a woman ran up to him, lifted an Obama sign above her head and screamed repeatedly into Keyes' face: "Obama for president! Obama for president!"

Another man briefly grabbed Keyes' arm and advised Keyes, "Take your [expletive] back to Maryland."

So what about Obama?
Quote:
By contrast, Democrat Barack Obama was treated to a king's welcome, with thousands of parade-goers hoisting blue-and-white Obama signs, wearing Obama stickers and shrieking in pure joy as his float passed by. They serenaded the Hyde Park Democrat with chants of "O-Ba-Ma! O-Ba-Ma! O-Ba-Ma!"

Guess it's just the liberal media's version.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...calchicago-hed

In other news, Senatorial candidate Alan Keyes doesn't think senators should be elected and wants to repeal the 17th Amendment.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/polit...ist=electionmi

As quoted earlier in this thread:
Quote:
"I think there's a perception that he marches to his own drummer and I think that's a fair perception," said [republican] political adviser Bill Pascoe, who has long known Keyes and earlier this year worked on Ryan's campaign.

I have to say I agree. And too bad for keyes that neither trumpt nor sdw live in the state. They would boost votes for him by like 50%!
post #62 of 72
The last adjectives I would have thought to use to describe Alan Keyes would be 'prudent' or 'pragmatic'.

But in this case, I think they may apply.

Keyes is 'leasing' his new apartment in Illinois -- i.e., "the land of my spirit, of my conscience and my heart" -- on a month-to-month basis.

You gotta love Josh Marshall for his insight.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #63 of 72
I usually think of Republicans as interested in limiting the franchise for select groups of voters. But in a move which -- and here I have to give the guy credit -- really does seem to look beyond racial divisive categories, Alan Keyes has called for all Americans, regardless of race, creed, etc. etc. etc., to lose their right to vote for senators.

Let's also note that this seems like an exceptionally brave move for a man currently running for senate under the current democratic rules.

In any case, can we get Sen. George Allen, head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, to go on record about whether he thinks this is a good idea? Or how about the president?

Perhaps also we can get a response on Keyes' proposal to for slavery reparations in the form of a two generation federal tax holiday (with the exception of payroll taxes) for all African-Americans?

Josh Marshall at it again!
post #64 of 72
Now keyes is saying that Sept 11 happened to wake us up about the evils of abortion. This carpetbagger is a real nutcase.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/cst-nws-sen17.html

Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Is the hatred so bad on this board the Republicans are now bad when they even field a candidate?

Maybe everyone else is just aware enough to see what a total loon this guy is.
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
You gotta love Josh Marshall for his insight.

Yeah I've noticed that he's unnaturally obsessed with Keyes.
post #66 of 72
What's there not to love? This guy is great entertainment for chicago, so why shouldn't everyone enjoy it?
post #67 of 72
After so much stress surrounding political events for the last couple years, I think it's refreshing to have some comic relief.
post #68 of 72
Quote:
After so much stress surrounding political events for the last couple years, I think it's refreshing to have some comic relief.

Here here.
post #69 of 72
I like the fact he standing up for what he believes, whether everyone else thinks he's nuts or not.

Like it so much I've changed my sig for the first time.
post #70 of 72
Yeah, he's standing up for his opposition to the election of senators by campaigning to be elected as a senator.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone supporting carpetbagger keyes in any way is also nuts.
post #71 of 72
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone supporting carpetbagger keyes in any way is also nuts.

Mindless name-calling. How typical - and sad - that this is what modern political discourse in North America has been reduced to.
post #72 of 72
It's either nuts or partisan. There's not much other reason for anyone to support Keyes over Obama.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Alan Keyes: Hypocrite Extraordinaire