or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › New Political Buzzword: "Values"

New Political Buzzword: "Values"

post #1 of 8
But what does it mean? Neither of the candidates nor their running mates can exactly explain why their campaigns are based around the fuzzy concept of American Values. What are American values? Are they written down somewhere? And if Bush wins, will we dissapear in the night if our values aren't up to snuff?

Discuss.
post #2 of 8
For Republicans the term values is meant to conjure up a nostalgic memory of the 1950's era. Christian. Hetero. Caucasian.

To me the 1950's represents something different. A time of huge racial rifts. Women did not have equal rights. The KKK was at its strongest point in history. Gays remained in the closet. War was a good thing. Jim Crow. Senators could be openly racist. Husbands could beat their wives.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #3 of 8
I had another thought. When Republicans try to claim the values platform all for themselves, what they're basically trying to communicate is Democrats are godless heathens.

But there's a most excellent article on how the Electoral College has forced the "values" discussion into the campaign again, and again, and again. I know the conservatives on this board won't read the article because it comes from the liberal rag THE NATION. But I found the read fascinating:

Let's Not Devalue Ourselves

An excerpt:

Quote:
In any case, the reason Kerry's so concerned about values has a lot to do with the unfairness of the Electoral College, which awards outrageously disproportionate political power to rural conservative states with fewer voters than, say, the enlightened borough of Brooklyn. Through one of those ironies with which history is so replete, the Electoral College, intended by the Founding Fathers to insure that the President was chosen by the ruling elite, has become an antidemocratic mechanism of quite another kind, giving unequal weight to votes based merely on the state in which they are cast. (How unequal? A vote from Wyoming counts almost four times as much as a vote from California.) In a country that actually practiced the principle of one person, one vote, the political landscape would be markedly different: Every vote in a presidential election would be campaigned for--the Texas liberal and the Massachusetts right-winger--and candidates would have to address the issues important to the largest number of people instead of pampering the vanity of tiny demographic slivers favored by geography. Candidates would have to wrestle with the fact that most Americans are not family farmers, that 43 percent seldom or never go to church, that one in four is nonwhite. We wouldn't obsess over swing voters in Ohio--what, they still haven't made up their minds? they've had four years!--and Thomas Frank's fascinating analysis of the growth of the right in the so-called heartland, What's the Matter With Kansas? would be a curiosity, not required reading.
post #4 of 8
Quote:
The KKK was at its strongest point in history.

As much as I hate the romanticization of the 1950s, the Klan was at its peak in the 20s and died out for the most part in the mid 1940s after WWII.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
As much as I hate the romanticization of the 1950s, the Klan was at its peak in the 20s and died out for the most part in the mid 1940s after WWII.

Fair enough.
post #6 of 8
I like how Republicans want to introduce a bill that would make it legal for husbands to rape their wives. Don't forget Phil "old people don't need food stamps. they eat less!" Gram. They make me sick. Bush voters are stupid and/or selfish.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Bush voters are stupid and/or selfish.

And/or they know nothing about politics and what's actually good for the country.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Senators could be openly racist.

Don't fret. The GOP is still working hard to make sure your Congress has some members who support values.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nics_candidate
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › New Political Buzzword: "Values"