or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why are you voting?

Why are you voting?

Poll Results: Who are you voting for and why?

Poll expired: Oct 23, 2004  
  • 15% (7)
    Bush- Because I agree with his ideas
  • 0% (0)
    Bush-Because he's not Kerry
  • 36% (17)
    Kerry- Because I agree with his ideas
  • 41% (19)
    Kerry- Because He's not Bush
  • 2% (1)
    Other- Because I with their ideas
  • 4% (2)
    Other- Because they're not Kerry/Bush
46 Total Votes  
post #1 of 23
Out of curiosity, I just want to see who you'd vote for and why
post #2 of 23
A month ago I would've selected Kerry because he's not Bush, but after the DNC I've decided I like Kerry's ideas.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #3 of 23
Since I can´t vote I´m making voting machines
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #4 of 23
I watched a meeting of the "young conservatives" or something like that on cspan yesterday, with rich lowry, the national review guy, speaking to a bunch of college students. They were all very clear that they were voting "anybody but Kerry." They complained about Bush's big government, his handling of the war, his medicare program, and on and on. They really didn't have much good to say about him at all, except that he wasn't Kerry.

To answer the question for myself, I really can't answer it that way. Votes are always comparisons. You vote for who represents you best of the legitimate choices available. I might agree with Bush 20% of the time, and Kerry 40% of the time, but I'd still vote for Kerry, because he represents me better. But I disagree with Kerry on the majority of issues. That's what it means to make a choice.
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
To answer the question for myself, I really can't answer it that way. Votes are always comparisons. You vote for who represents you best of the legitimate choices available. I might agree with Bush 20% of the time, and Kerry 40% of the time, but I'd still vote for Kerry, because he represents me better. But I disagree with Kerry on the majority of issues. That's what it means to make a choice.

That statement works for me as well, although I'm probably more 10% Bush and 70% Kerry. I'm also about 50% Nader, but wish the guy would take a hike, IYKWIM.
post #6 of 23
I see that Comman Man voted twice...
post #7 of 23
Kerry would make a good leader . . . if the GOP mudslinging slander hate machine doesn't get to him first.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #8 of 23
It doesn't look too good for Bush & Co.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac
It doesn't look too good for Bush & Co.

Although AI happens to be a pool of open-minded liberals, it's not a barometer for national affairs.
post #10 of 23
Well, it has been scientifically proven that Mac users are more verbally intelligent than PC users, and it also has been proven that intellectuals and academics tend to be liberal.

It's just the dumb people (and many arguably smart but misguided Texans) that still support Bush.
post #11 of 23
Well I am personally voting for Bush. I do not want to get into an arguement about it, been reading all the threads here of course lol, I want to state it and be done. Here goes. But I support what he has done. I do however think he could use some work in the public speaking area, I think it is hillarious some of his mess ups. But I support his protection of marriage as defined between one man and one woman and his strong opposition to abortion. As well I support what has been done in Iraq. Do I think he has been perfect? Absolutely not, but I also like him better than Kerry. (Though as mentioned above I think Kerry is a much better public speaker). But my views much more align with Bush so that is who I am voting for. Anywho, it will be quite interesting to see how this election turns out.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich
But I support his protection of marriage as defined between one man and one woman

I really think that this is a fuzzy political area. Why? Because most of the opposition to gay marriage comes from a religious standpoint, not a political one. If religious beliefs will prevent two people from recieving tax benefits, there's something wrong with the system. I personally think that there should be two levels of marriage: one level that gives you all of the legal benefits of marriage, and one that grants the spiritual piece, from whichever church will accept your homosexuality. So even if no church that happens
Think of it this way: if a man wants to marry another man, any refusal of that proposition would constitute sexual discrimination, for one of the men would have to be female to be granted the right of marriage.
post #13 of 23
A friend of mine breifly lived in Moussori . . . she worked at the local library. One day she had a pleasant conversation with a woman and she let it be known that she practiced Zen meditation. From that day on she had rocks thrown at her house day and night, and taunts yelled at her until she moved . . . is that 'Moussori Christian?'
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
A friend of mine breifly lived in Moussori . . . she worked at the local library. One day she had a pleasant conversation with a woman and she let it be known that she practiced Zen meditation. From that day on she had rocks thrown at her house day and night, and taunts yelled at her until she moved . . . is that 'Moussori Christian?'

Moussori

Where the hell is that? Is that a town in Iraq or something?

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #15 of 23
Voting for Bush makes sense if you are rich. Or if you like war. Or if you hate foreigners.

Other than that it is either spite or willful ignorance.
proud resident of a failed state
post #16 of 23
It's a really easy decision for me. I'm voting for Bush because I'm a conservative and so is Bush. I don't agree with the platform of the Democratic Party at all. I am a strong supporter of Bush's economic policies. I also like Bush not just because of his policies but for him as a person. He seems really down to earth for a President. He has a truck and does manual labor on his ranch, wears jeans and a cowboy hat and so forth. I like that. Kerry seems too prissy and rich for a man who is supposed to know what is in the best interests of the people. I know that both candidates are rich, but Kerry seems to play up the snob thing too much. Plus, I've come to realize that there are too many questions about Kerry's past. As least with Bush we know pretty much everything. I'm not too concerned with a candidates past though, what I care about is how they can move this country into the future.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
post #17 of 23
ummm i'm from chicago so i think i should be able to vote a few more times.

i vote because mayor daley pays me to.
post #18 of 23
I was originally planning to for Kerry because he's not Bush, but his ideas seem pretty good too. Two reasons to vote Kerry!
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Moussori

Where the hell is that? Is that a town in Iraq or something?

Nick

Yeah . . .

But then again, she had the same experience in Missouri to?

But it was to be expected there . . .
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #20 of 23
Not that it will make any difference to you, I see the Rovemachine has done the damage, but as a Texan...

Quote:
He has a truck and does manual labor on his ranch, wears jeans and a cowboy hat and so forth.

He bought that ranch in 1999 while gearing up to run for president. His Crawford ranch is a total publicity stunt that the people have lapped up for the last 4 years like he was born in a washtub in a Crawford barn. He is a child of privelege who can buy multi-million dollar ranches for PR.

The Bushes are not any more "down to earth" than the Kerrys or Kennedys and I think it is bizarre that so many people want to ignore their wealthy and elite lives and buy the produced-for-the-media garbage.

Quote:
Plus, I've come to realize that there are too many questions about Kerry's past. As least with Bush we know pretty much everything. I'm not too concerned with a candidates past though, what I care about is how they can move this country into the future.

And with 4 years under his belt, you honestly believe Bush is the best option to move this country into the future.

It's not a question you have to answer here, but one you should take seriously as a person, logged off of AI and walking around in the world.
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
Not that it will make any difference to you, I see the Rovemachine has done the damage, but as a Texan...

He bought that ranch in 1999 while gearing up to run for president. His Crawford ranch is a total publicity stunt that the people have lapped up for the last 4 years like he was born in a washtub in a Crawford barn. He is a child of privelege who can buy multi-million dollar ranches for PR.

The Bushes are not any more "down to earth" than the Kerrys or Kennedys and I think it is bizarre that so many people want to ignore their wealthy and elite lives and buy the produced-for-the-media garbage.

CLEARING BRUSH
THE PACKAGE, THE IMAGE, THE PORK AND BEANS . . . . ULTRA RICH SLOBS?!

Aw shucks . . . I'm just a good old boy . . . *where's the gears in this thing*
Quote:
iven the opportunity, the President works out six days a week. And that's before chores.

CHORES!!!
Do you honestly thing this spoiled child ever did a 'chore' in his life?!?!

oh, and then here is an image by the artist mentioned in the article,
'I don't know mich abowt that there art stuff, but ah know what I lack'
--just another false surface detail for the false image of Bush the 'good-old-boy' . . . what an absurdly false and dispicable construction a thorough facade for a thorough charlatan!!

Betcha Bush had this guys posters on his dorm-room wall . . . . -NOT! . . . he'd have been laughed out of the dormitory!

(even though some of his other work does have a decent Grant Wood-ish kind of surreality)
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #22 of 23
other - would vote anyone but bush but can't vote.
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
How many problems have you modified or originated in the past 1 day?
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Giaguara
other - would vote anyone but bush but can't vote.

Same here.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why are you voting?