or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What the blue buggering blazes is 'chatter'?

What the blue buggering blazes is 'chatter'?

post #1 of 12
Eh?

So, it's bad when 'chatter' picks up and its bad when 'chatter' slows down now. 'Chatter' is bad, mmmkay?

But here's the thing. You're intercepting the communications of suspected terrorists and they're obviously talking about terrorism rather than where to find the best halal butcher in Queens or else they wouldn't be, um, suspected terrorists and everything.

Why does someone not, you know, arrest them?
post #2 of 12
It's a volume thing, aggregated.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2088261/
post #3 of 12

Verbal diarrhea by one person (or toy) might be chatter.

Otherwise, chatter should sit somewhere in the continuum between monologue, dialogue and cacophony.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #4 of 12
What the NSA is supposed to collect and share with other intelligence agencies.

Seriously, I think it's an umbrella term for general communication activity that, by definition, authorities have intercepted from a variety of means (that they probably don't want to say how they got), and that isn't quite decipherable due to obscurity, obtuseness or plain old problems with recording quality.

OK, OK, it's really just all made up shit with the excuse to fire rockets and scare the living shit out of every person who can vote against you.
post #5 of 12
The NSA etc have the technology to rapidly locate the sources and destinations of suspicious electronic communications (cell, land phones, internet traffic, radio etc. etc. etc.) and constantly keep tabs on terrorist and international criminal suspects. Terrorists (and would-be terrorists) know this, and go to great lengths toavoid these types of communication media. Strange how rarely any of these monitored folk get apprehended.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
Eh?

So, it's bad when 'chatter' picks up and its bad when 'chatter' slows down now. 'Chatter' is bad, mmmkay?

But here's the thing. You're intercepting the communications of suspected terrorists and they're obviously talking about terrorism rather than where to find the best halal butcher in Queens or else they wouldn't be, um, suspected terrorists and everything.

Why does someone not, you know, arrest them?

So like, I was sooo talking to my best friend on my cellie the other day and like this rude customer comes up and asks me where the hair driers are sold, and i swear she like had the biggest wig on, and i had to hold back my tears as i like imagined the wig flying up to you know the moon....

oh, wait... you mean that chatter...

they aren't hearing specific communications -- they can basically detect every time a terrorist uses a cell phone but not necessarily what the people are saying...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #7 of 12
Chatter kind of rhymes with terror. With that discovery in mind, I think I'm 10% of the way towards writing my first hit country song.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
Chatter kind of rhymes with terror. With that discovery in mind, I think I'm 10% of the way towards writing my first hit country song.

This is one of the most brilliant commentaries I've ever read on AppleInsider.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #9 of 12
Yea terrorism is all a big joke. ha ha Let's blame Bush for not doing anything and them blame him for doing too much. We're so much smarter than everyone else.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Yea terrorism is all a big joke. ha ha Let's blame Bush for not doing anything and them blame him for doing too much. We're so much smarter than everyone else.

Perhaps we should just blame Bush when he really fucks up?
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Perhaps we should just blame Bush when he really fucks up?

I don't see Bush mentioned in that article. You do know how to read right? Maybe you don't?
post #12 of 12
Terrorism ain't no joke but if it prevents you from enjoying one that is your loss.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What the blue buggering blazes is 'chatter'?