or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Al Jazeera closed down in Iraq

Al Jazeera closed down in Iraq

post #1 of 94
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...era/index.html

Operation Iraqi freedom eh? Freedom? The first US approved bozo, Ahmad Chalabi is a convicted bank fraudster. Now the US approved leader in Iraq is a cold blooded murderer. Hows about calling him a terrorist, to be fashionable.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true

At the same time, in the cause of "liberty", (sick joke, but thats the terminology), his Bush-approved administration yanks the plug on freedom of speech and counter opinion. Another supreme asshole assumes power.

Iraq: From one variety of fascism to another, without an intervening period of civilization.

Too bad.

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #2 of 94
Luckily it's just the Iraqi offices, not the service. That means the satellite channels from neighboring areas can still offer their services within Iraqi borders.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #3 of 94
In the past it's been shown that Al Jazeera is literally a production company for "militants" and terrorist. Staged video produced to romanticize kidnapping, murder and terrorism in the name of "jihad". So why shouldn't the Iraqi government shut down that propaganda engine for those that want to stop democracy in Iraq?
post #4 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
In the past it's been shown that Al Jazeera is literally a production company for "militants" and terrorist. Staged video produced to romanticize kidnapping, murder and terrorism in the name of "jihad". So why shouldn't the Iraqi government shut down that propaganda engine for those that want to stop democracy in Iraq?

Sounds like Fox.
post #5 of 94
Quote:

Not even my Israeli friends say nonsense like that about Al Jazeera. Maybe you should suscribe* to it and wach it before commenting...for that thing called credibility you know?

* It's available to Dish Network suscribers in the US. The horror!
post #6 of 94
You must have missed it on CNN. They had video from Al Jazeera of "Faluja's youngest ambulance driver". They put some 12 year old kid behind the wheel of anbulance. Did some fake interiew about how he goes around and picks up the "freedom fighters" injured by americans and takes them to the hospital. A real hero and model for all young muslims on how to contribute to jihad. Then the kid drives 20 feet before they start yelling "stop come back" and take him out of it. Pure theater. Pure propoganda. All produced by Al Jazeera in conjunction with terrorist and murders.

Maybe you weren't watching that day? BTW your Israel friends must be brain dead.
post #7 of 94
Quote:
You must have missed it on CNN. They had video from Al Jazeera of "Faluja's youngest ambulance driver". They put some 12 year old kid behind the wheel of anbulance. Did some fake interiew about how he goes around and picks up the "freedom fighters" injured by americans and takes them to the hospital. A real hero and model for all young muslims on how to contribute to jihad. Then the kid drives 20 feet before they start yelling "stop come back" and take him out of it. Pure theater. Pure propoganda. All produced by Al Jazeera in conjunction with terrorist and murders.

Maybe you weren't watching that day? BTW your Israel friends must be brain dead.

Wait a minute, how do you know the kid isn't an ambulance driver?
post #8 of 94
Al Jazeera is a credible Arab TV station. It's run by professionals. Scott, as usual, has been drinking the Rumsfield Kool Aid. It gets a lot of stories, possibly because people don't want to talk to journalists from countries whose soldiers murder ambulance drivers.

Google returns nothing on 'Al Jazeera young ambulance driver' either. It does immediately return links to pictures of Falluja ambulances with nice, neat sniper holes on the driver's side windscreen.
meh
meh
post #9 of 94
More than 300 killed in air raids in Fallujah over the past few days. It is apparently not an issue because:

1) the iraqi government is doing it.
2) there are no innocent lives worth considering to restrain aerial bombing and anyone dead is a supporter of Al-Sadr (TM).

So if you are in Fallujah, too bad. Television stations like Al Jazeera are bad because the Iraqi government says so.

Alliance soldiers are going around shooting people in their native land under the umbrella of liberalization even after a new government has been formed.

I wonder if Iraq is the definition of hell on earth. But then I take a look at the countries where countless people die of starvation. I guess dying from a gun shot beats dying due to starvation.

It is a shame that we are indifferent to the deeds done by our elected leaders. Bad karma doesn't have be based on individual deeds.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #10 of 94
Quote:

Nah, they're smart enough to think for themselves unlike other people. At least you didn't call them "the Jews" like you always do. So Scott, ave you EVER watched Al Jazeera?

As fanatical as you are Scott, I'm surprised you haven't started a website to collect signatures to ban big, bad, terrorist TV network Al Jazeera from being offered in the US by Dish Network. The horror!!
Quote:
In the past it's been shown that Al Jazeera is literally a production company for "militants" and terrorist.

Assuming that your little example about the ambulance driver was true....I'm sure you'd have no trouble in providing more examples about this "production company" for "militants amd terrorists"? Take your time.
Quote:
Staged video produced to romanticize kidnapping, murder and terrorism in the name of "jihad".

LMAO. Again, I'm sure you can come up with countless examples to prove your "point" right? Right?
post #11 of 94
In times of war some freedoms must be withheld to maintain, or in the case of Iraq, establish order.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #12 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
In times of war some freedoms must be withheld to maintain, or in the case of Iraq, establish order.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves._ ~Abraham Lincoln

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety._ ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
meh
meh
post #13 of 94
Those guys didn't have to deal with the technological power of today's media. It is easy to insight people, it is hard to calm them down.
post #14 of 94
It sounds like soviet. We know whats best for the population. Facts will only steer them away from the right path.

"Common" "man" is a flip-flopping liberal communist.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #15 of 94
Quote:
Those guys didn't have to deal with the technological power of today's media. It is easy to insight people, it is hard to calm them down.

No, they had to deal with essential, fundamental truths.

These truths that made the idea of America a shining light.

These truths are still true. Denying them makes one a lying shite.

The Common Man would control the facts and essential liberty to ensure 'order.' The only people who ever tried to do that failed and history hates them. You ought to think about that.
meh
meh
post #16 of 94
Quote:

You didn't fight this war to prove the validity of censorship in the media but to show Iraqis the benefits of democracy and freedom of speech enjoyed in America. Way to go. Congratulations on losing a war, I guess: you may as well have stayed at home and saved tens of thousands of lives.

One of the things that has always made Americans proud (you only need to read these boards for a while to see this) is the freedom of their press- it's a symbol of the greater freedoms enjoyed by all Americans.

I'd love you to be the one to explain to Abraham Lincoln and Benjamin Franklin how their fine words on liberty and freedom don't apply anymore because now we have satellite television and the internet to disseminate information to people. "The technological power of today's media" does not affect what Abraham Lincoln and Benjamin Franklin said one teeny frigging bit.

Ach, sell out.
post #17 of 94
Ah, this must be the kind of thing you mean, I see now.

The media shouldn't be allowed to report stuff like this!

Stuff released by, um, the American government.
post #18 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
Ah, this must be the kind of thing you mean, I see now.

The media shouldn't be allowed to report stuff like this!

Stuff released by, um, the American government.

Yea. It gives al Jazeera too much lead time to warn their terrorists patrons.
post #19 of 94
Quote:
Yea. It gives al Jazeera too much lead time to warn their terrorists patrons.

Al Jazeera is just a TV channel. Nothing more, nothing less. It's popular in the Middle East because it's kinda sensational and kinda racy compared to state channels and it's not obliged to kiss and nuzzle American arses, as you would evidently wish. That's it.

Here's the url for the English site. Tell you what, WHY DON'T YOU GO AND TAKE A FRIGGING LOOK AT IT?
post #20 of 94
If you look closely you even agree with it on some points

Click on the rightmost thumnail
post #21 of 94
This is pseudo off-topic but does anybody know why Al Jazeera's site wants to get Safari to download a file called "BreakingNews.aspx" and how to get it to stop?
post #22 of 94
Al-Jazeera is not legitimate, nor professional. Harald, that's a joke. It's nothing but a propoganda machine for Islamic extremism.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #23 of 94
Yes here is some extremist propoganda:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...7944E20DA8.htm
post #24 of 94
Quote:

You are correct. They should be shut down wherever they are, but first everyone that works there should be interrogated for their obvious ties to terrorist groups. They have a lot of info to cough up and they should be given an expectorant immediately.
post #25 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
Al-Jazeera is not legitimate, nor professional. Harald, that's a joke. It's nothing but a propoganda machine for Islamic extremism.

Not legitimate? According to who? The US Board of TV Station Legitimisers?

Not professional? According to who? People who *haven't ever watched it and know nothing about television production*?

A propaganda machine for Islamic extremism? Boy oh boy. Well if you remain the last person under the delusion that the US TV is 'liberal,' you have a mortal fear of anything Islamic and you glug the Rummy Kool Ade from 40s, then yes, that's not a surprising thing to say.

Nevertheless, as Hassan said, "It's just a frigging TV channel," and it's one about which you don't know a fucking thing.
meh
meh
post #26 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
Not legitimate? According to who? The US Board of TV Station Legitimisers?

Not professional? According to who? People who *haven't ever watched it and know nothing about television production*?

A propaganda machine for Islamic extremism? Boy oh boy. Well if you remain the last person under the delusion that the US TV is 'liberal,' you have a mortal fear of anything Islamic and you glug the Rummy Kool Ade from 40s, then yes, that's not a surprising thing to say.

Nevertheless, as Hassan said, "It's just a frigging TV channel," and it's one about which you don't know a fucking thing.

I won't respond to you ridiculous personal attacks, but I will address the issue.

Let me ask...why is that that Al-Jazeera always seems to get the finest video tapes of terrorists making demands and/or threatening the west? Where do those connections come from? Al-Jazeera's propoganda is well documented. Please. The connection is so obvious, it's actually ridiculous.

Edit: I wouldn't feel complete unless I used the word RIDICULOUS one more time. End of post.
post #27 of 94
Quote:
I won't respond to you ridiculous personal attacks, but I will address the issue.

Let me ask...why is that that Al-Jazeera always seems to get the finest video tapes of terrorists making demands and/or threatening the west? Where do those connections come from? Al-Jazeera's propoganda is well documented. Please. The connection is so obvious, it's actually ridiculous.

Edit: I wouldn't feel complete unless I used the word RIDICULOUS one more time. End of post.

Come on then. Well documented propaganda (it's proAganda goddamit)? Well documented? Should be easy for you to dig up then. GOOD links please.

The connection is so obvious? Come on then. Show me some of this good documentation and really obvious connections.

Where did I hear this kind of "well documented, completely obvious" stuff before? Let me think ... oh yeh, that was Rummy too. Justifying the Iraq war. And the WMD was bullshit too.
meh
meh
post #28 of 94
Quote:

Let me ask...why is that that Al-Jazeera always seems to get the finest video tapes of terrorists making demands and/or threatening the west? Where do those connections come from? Al-Jazeera's propaganda is well documented. Please. The connection is so obvious, it's actually ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but you and scott are the Ridiculous ones here.. Oh and can't forget the common man either. You claim Al Jazeera is evil in every way shape ot form yet offer no proof. Ridiculous. You make baseless allegations expecting us to simply believe you. Ridiculous. You, common man, make references to soviet ideals as applicable to modern democracies. Ridiculous. You use phrases like "well documented" while not actually supplying one iota of this documentation. Ridiculous. I might be going out on a limb here but I'm assuming you don't even know the history of Al-Jazeera. Ridiculous. You feel that because Al-Jazeera reports from a different perspective they are automatically wrong. Ridiculous. You feel that because Al-Jazeera airs tapes and feeds not aired here they are in league with the terrorists. Ridiculous.

Ridiculous. Ridiculous. Ridiculous.

PS. before throwing around phrases like "The connection is so obvious..." you should look into historical instances of this idea and how often it is wrong. Ridculous.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #29 of 94
The connection is quite obvious. It would either take a blind man or an Arab apologist to see otherwise.
Al-Jazeera has obvious connections to the terrorists.

By the way, what their site says in english is surely not what it says in arabic. Just like Arafat, who talks out of both sides of his ass.

Quote:
Originally posted by faust9
I'm sorry, but you and scott are the Ridiculous ones here.. Oh and can't forget the common man either. You claim Al Jazeera is evil in every way shape ot form yet offer no proof. Ridiculous. You make baseless allegations expecting us to simply believe you. Ridiculous. You, common man, make references to soviet ideals as applicable to modern democracies. Ridiculous. You use phrases like "well documented" while not actually supplying one iota of this documentation. Ridiculous. I might be going out on a limb here but I'm assuming you don't even know the history of Al-Jazeera. Ridiculous. You feel that because Al-Jazeera reports from a different perspective they are automatically wrong. Ridiculous. You feel that because Al-Jazeera airs tapes and feeds not aired here they are in league with the terrorists. Ridiculous.

Ridiculous. Ridiculous. Ridiculous.

PS. before throwing around phrases like "The connection is so obvious..." you should look into historical instances of this idea and how often it is wrong. Ridculous.
post #30 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by steve666
The connection is quite obvious. It would either take a blind man or an Arab apologist to see otherwise.
Al-Jazeera has obvious connections to the terrorists.

By the way, what their site says in english is surely not what it says in arabic. Just like Arafat, who talks out of both sides of his ass.

Do you speak arabic? I live in the Detroit area. I have a lot of Middle Eastern friends. I've asked them to translate. The translations (unless all my friends are lying to me and it's a big conspiracy) have mirrored in sentiment the thoughts expressed in English. You can never translate word for word from one language to another especially when the language structures are as different as they are.

Now, as I've stated before if these connections are so obvious then you should have no problem supplying us with some primary or even secondary sources which say as much. It's easy to make an alligation. It's much, much harder to prove.

How do I know you don't do the devils bidding? With a name like steve666 you have to. The connection between you and Satan is obvious. You use the number of the beast as your alias.

See, with a little observtion and a basless assertion I too can twist things. I too can make statements which may/maynot be true without giving proof. See how hollow it sounds(or reads rather) when I do it though.

Until you prove what your saying that's all you doing---throwing around hollow words.

PS. How do you know US friendly media outlets are not getting these tapes as well? They used to. They used to air them just like Al Jazeera did up until Asscroft asked them to stop. The fact that they air these tapes does not make them terrorists. As a matter of fact Al Jazeera has been kicked out of as many ME countries as the BBC or other reputible news organizations. Al Jazeera sees these tapes as news. Even if you don't.
post #31 of 94
I'm still waiting for Scott to post examples.....still waiting.

I think all the in-house neocons should get together and start a boycott of Dish Network for offering such an "obvious" terrorist propaganda channel like Al-Jazeera in their programming.

I mean, by showing Al Jazeera it's "obvious" they're not with us, so they must be against us! Shut the sucker down I say, shut it down!
post #32 of 94
Just because you have a few arab friends you decide that all arabs are like your friends? Pretty sophomoric.

Al Jazeera gets these tapes immediately. They know where the terrorists are, they have complete access to them.

Al Jazeera is the publicity arm of Al Queda and if you're too blind to see that thats your problem.

Quote:
Do you speak arabic? I live in the Detroit area. I have a lot of Middle Eastern friends. I've asked them to translate. The translations (unless all my friends are lying to me and it's a big conspiracy) have mirrored in sentiment the thoughts expressed in English. You can never translate word for word from one language to another especially when the language structures are as different as they are.

Now, as I've stated before if these connections are so obvious then you should have no problem supplying us with some primary or even secondary sources which say as much. It's easy to make an alligation. It's much, much harder to prove.

How do I know you don't do the devils bidding? With a name like steve666 you have to. The connection between you and Satan is obvious. You use the number of the beast as your alias.

See, with a little observtion and a basless assertion I too can twist things. I too can make statements which may/maynot be true without giving proof. See how hollow it sounds(or reads rather) when I do it though.

Until you prove what your saying that's all you doing---throwing around hollow words.

PS. How do you know US friendly media outlets are not getting these tapes as well? They used to. They used to air them just like Al Jazeera did up until Asscroft asked them to stop. The fact that they air these tapes does not make them terrorists. As a matter of fact Al Jazeera has been kicked out of as many ME countries as the BBC or other reputible news organizations. Al Jazeera sees these tapes as news. Even if you don't.
post #33 of 94
Quote:
Just because you have a few arab friends you decide that all arabs are like your friends? Pretty sophomoric.

Al Jazeera gets these tapes immediately. They know where the terrorists are, they have complete access to them.

Al Jazeera is the publicity arm of Al Queda and if you're too blind to see that thats your problem.

Still no substance. I challenged you to provide even an inkling of proof.... You've given us none... I still say you're in cahoots with the devil until you prove otherwise.
post #34 of 94
Quote:
Still no substance. I challenged you to provide even an inkling of proof.... You've given us none... I still say you're in cahoots with the devil until you prove otherwise.

Dude, Al Jazeera is the publishing arm of Al-Queda. If they didnt show their videos, their propaganda, and their slant than Al-Queda would be losing much of their audience and publicity tool.

Do I really need to show you something other than what you've already seen from Al-Jazeera's own actions?

In Iraq, they didnt show iraqi'd cheering and knocking down statues of saddam, they only showed the body count from the war.
post #35 of 94
Quote:

Well, Lyndan LaRouche thinks he has the information which shows that Dick Cheney is part of a long line of 'Synarchists' who learned from Leo Strauss a Hitlerian, Psuedo-Neitszchean form of Fascism and beast/man worship that is tantamount to being a form of Satanism.

LONG MANIFESTO

Its fascinating reading . . . old school conspiracy stuff from the ultra fringe, with just enough truth to keep in interesting.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally posted by mrtwistor
Yes here is some extremist propoganda:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...7944E20DA8.htm

Exactly. I doubt that anyone ragging on al jazeera ever goes to the site or watch the channel.

Incidentally, I saw a very good movie a week ago.

Control Room

It was actually really, really good, showing what it's like behind the scenes with all journalists at CENTCOM. They also discuss the bombing of their Baghdad office and show footage of Tarek Ayoub hunkered down minutes before US bombs killed him. Also pointed out is the fact, told to me earlier by someone I know who was in Baghdad at the time, that when the saddam statue was taken down all of the people in the square were journalists, military and young men brought in by the US to look like a celebratory crowd.

For a short review:

http://www.boston.com/movies/display...=movie&id=6776

in case you need it bugmenot.com
post #37 of 94
Quote:
Dude, Al Jazeera is the publishing arm of Al-Queda. If they didnt show their videos, their propaganda, and their slant than Al-Queda would be losing much of their audience and publicity tool.

Do I really need to show you something other than what you've already seen from Al-Jazeera's own actions?

In Iraq, they didnt show iraqi'd cheering and knocking down statues of saddam, they only showed the body count from the war.

Yes you do need to show us something. I've stated this a few times already. Not playing these videos wont make terrorism go away. Hiding from this wont make it stop. Showing the videos is news. As I've pointed out already our media outlets played the videos until the idea that OBL was passing secret messages in them was thrown around. The videos are news. Finding the Nick Berg video over here is pretty easy. Fox played the video for god's sake. I guess Fox is a terrorist network as well by your logic. Play a video become a terrorist.

Terrorists don't need propaganda. The propaganda his passed around madrasas(spelling?). Propaganda is spread during prayer. Propaganda comes from many sources. Al-Jazeera (formerly BBC ME) simply reports. They report in a style similar to the BBC as a matter of fact which isn't surprising because the two split off only a few years ago (2001'ish). The reporters and editors and the like are BBC trained. But of course you knew that. You knew a lot of these guys where trained in western colleges and under western reporters. You know they sell a product as does Fox news. They target their audience as does Fox. Al-Jazeera is no better or worse than Fox except Al-Jazeera doesn't broadcast to you. Al-Jazeera broadcasts to a ME audience but they don't do so as terrorist propagandists.

I'm truely sorry you can't see the differece between reporting a news story, especially one from a different perspective, and true terrorism. Sad what this country has come to really. You're with us or against us. You report what we want you to report our you're a terrorist sympathizer. Heaven forbid we allow a news organization to exist that speaks to a different audience.

Well you take care because I see debating you is like telling the wind not to blow. Stay in your comfy us or them world.

Time for bed--Good night.
post #38 of 94
Threads like this make me wonder if some of you folks are for real. Are we actually arging about Al-Jazeera having terrorist connections? Can you even be serious?
post #39 of 94
Well, gosh, sdw, according to your argument so does ABC and Time.

Your act gets less and less amusing by the minute.
post #40 of 94
Al Jazeera has terrorist connections. They have an address where a courier can bring them a tape of terrorist propaganda, and they show such propaganda when it's newsworthy. The also play anti-terrorist news when it's newsworthy. They aid terrorists because they do not censor the news to fit American interests. Oh, the horror! That's not a real news organization. A real organization needs to bow down at GWB's gold-plated footsies and say "Yes, sir!" Like Fox.

I have terrorist connections. Any terrorist can come to this website and PM me using the forum system. Any terrorist can come to this site and interect with me through the forums (anybody remember Naim, and his last statement before he disappeared from the site, just before there was a lot of Arabic chatter on the old AI chat forums?). Oh my God! Come arrest me! Close down my office (or bomb it).

You see, the only "terrorist connections" I, or Al Jazeera have is a communication channel. That's it. Of course, Bushspeak would have you think otherwise, and there are enough poeple sympathetic enough or stupid enough to believe the hype.

The US simplky no longer has any tolerance for real news, and wants to limit all news to US-centric propaganda. More and more Orwellian each day.

If you dispute this, please explain how Al Jazeera is not simply reporting the news as it is. Just a little. Please?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Al Jazeera closed down in Iraq