or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Liberal Media Bias: The Homeless

Liberal Media Bias: The Homeless

post #1 of 26
Homeless

We had a nice long thread or two about the various precautions that would be put into place for these two conventions. I admitted straight up that I had no doubt that the Republican convention would use all the same precautions the Democratic convention had to use. I even had some fun with the fact that they were closing community pools that weren't even close to the convention center in Boston.

Yet here again we see a double standard. The first thing the media starts hitting Republicans about are the... of course... homeless who will not be allowed to loiter around the convention or may be forced to go somewhere else during the course of the convention.

Does anyone honestly believe that with the same security measures in place at the Democratic convention that somehow the homesless were allowed to wander anywhere they wanted around the Fleet Center as pedestrians?

Yet amazingly there wasn't one article in which we got to read that the Democrats thought the homeless were "eyesores" or that they wanted them "swept away."

Astonishing.. yet typical,

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 26
Very typical. Republicans are evil racists who hate. Democrats are caring people. If they say it long enough, the left media thinks that America will buy it. Sorry, the Common Man knows better.

Bush 55%
Kerry 45%
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #3 of 26
You mean, the liberal media that did talk about it?

http://tinyurl.com/4jnwq

Or maybe you meant some other liberal media in la-la land. I guess that's the same la-la land where the situation in New York is the same as that in Boston.
post #4 of 26
Your link is in lala land.

Moe
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
You mean, the liberal media that did talk about it?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...f_fleetcenter/

Or maybe you meant some other liberal media in la-la land.

Giant, your link isn't working. Does it have the contentions that Democrats think the homeless are "eyesores", want them "swept away", or any other type of claims?

I did find this article at boston.com

Don't give a dime...

The hardest assertion... the DNC delegates don't give enough change...

Nick

post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Giant, your link isn't working. Does it have the contentions that Democrats think the homeless are "eyesores", want them "swept away", or any other type of claims?

Note that your eyesore quote comes from a homeless person. Here's what a graduate student found from talking to the homeless in boston (aka, not liberal media)

http://wec.textamerica.com/?r=1160657
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Note that your eyesore quote comes from a homeless person. Here's what a graduate student found from talking to the homeless in boston (aka, not liberal media)

http://wec.textamerica.com/?r=1160657

So between your link and mine, we have that the DNC won't give change but will register voters.

Nick

post #8 of 26
Quote:

No, "tourists" don't give enough change:
Quote:
''I don't [care] whether they're Democrat or Republican," said the 56-year-old homeless veteran who wore a Kerry-Edwards sticker. ''They're tourists, and it's like, 'Hey, stay away from that guy.' "

Note, too, that this destroys your little liberal media bias conspiracy theory.

Also, here's a major difference:

Boston:
Quote:
The city said it did not broom away the homeless. There were no ''sweeps," said Jim Greene, acting director of the city's Emergency Shelter Commission. Rather, Greene said, workers got the word out to the Hub's homeless that with thousands of visitors descending on the Fleet and elsewhere, they could stay at several shelters offering hours expanded to include the daytime.

NYC:
Quote:
Ballantine, and hundreds of other homeless people like him, will be moved out from Aug. 30 to Sept. 2 so the convention can take place.

Take the tinfoil off of your walls, nick. It's safe to come out.
post #9 of 26
Quote:

I did find this article at boston.com

Don't give a dime...

Nick

Agreed. I was at the DNC in Boston for the duration of the convention and any excuse was used, under the pretence of "security", to make sure that non-approved sections of society (protesters, homeless etc etc) were both invisible and inaudible. It was deemed essential by the Secret Service, the BPD and the City of Boston together with the elite of the Democratic Party that the thousands of well-heeled delegates should not aware of the presence of the unwashed hordes, some who are probably working 3 jobs just to pay the rent....
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
Very typical. Republicans are evil racists who hate. Democrats are caring people. If they say it long enough, the left media thinks that America will buy it. Sorry, the Common Man knows better.

Bush 55%
Kerry 45%

This is really a pathetic attempt to paint republicans in a good light.

Most consevatives I know have the same answer : " Why don't they get a job ".

I suppose that's better than saying : " What homeless? ".

Oh and by the way......

http://www.pollingreport.com/wh04gen.htm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #11 of 26
Wow. SJO agreeing with Trumpt against giant. Now I've seen everything.
post #12 of 26
The link works fine for me.

Quote:
Many among city's homeless steer clear of FleetCenter

By Ric Kahn, Globe Staff _|_ July 30, 2004

Just as there were fewer Bostonians on the streets this week, there were also fewer homeless people.

They were not on vacation.

Some of Boston's most vulnerable cooled their heels in shelters normally closed to them during the day. Others got spooked by the tumult and switched from the doorways they usually sleep in to ones farther from the FleetCenter, or sought other refuge from the police squadrons and buzzing helicopters that billeted the city during the week of the Democratic National Convention.

The city said it did not move away the homeless. "There's absolutely no policy of any kind of sweeps," said Jim Greene, acting director of the city's Emergency Shelter Commission.

What the city did, Greene said, was work for months to avoid the chaos of the 2000 Democratic convention in Los Angeles, where an activist for the homeless was injured by a rubber bullet after getting swept up in a larger protest.

Still, even by coaxing rather than coercion, the result was the same, said Jim Stewart, director of First Church Shelter in Cambridge. "No matter how gentle the touch, the idea was to sanitize the area, and they succeeded -- just as they've done everywhere else where they've had these events," said Stewart.

Stewart said the extra efforts this week cast a shameful shadow over Boston's typical response to homeless people.

"The needs of the homeless aren't a priority just about every other day of the year," Stewart said. "Why can public resources be used to tidy up North Station of homeless people for John Kerry's coronation?"

Greene said the initiatives were undertaken this week with one thing in mind: to help keep the homeless out of harm's way.

After months of meetings with shelter operators, mental health advocates, soup kitchen providers, and others, Greene said, outreach workers passed word to homeless people that delegates and demonstrators would descend around the FleetCenter and elsewhere. Workers told the homeless that they were free to take advantage of expanded daytime hours this week at four shelters that normally provide services to emergency guests only at night during the summer.

Unlike residents who left town, Greene said, homeless people "don't have that option very easily."

Extending the hours at city-run shelters on Long Island and in the South End this week was expected to cost $2,000 to $3,000, according to a spokeswoman for the Boston Public Health Commission. The spokeswoman said the money would come out of the commission's $12 million annual budget for services for homeless people.

At Pine Street Inn, spokeswoman Shepley Metcalf said the publicly and privately funded shelter operated this week as it would during any emergency, such as a severe snowstorm, that might affect the homeless.

Advocates for the homeless said they were particularly concerned about people diagnosed with significant mental health conditions, including paranoia and schizophrenia.

"They already think their thoughts are being read by different people or they're being targeted by the CIA," said Dr. Jim O'Connell, president of the Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program. "So our concern has been that when you start to see thousands of policemen and FBI agents and armored cars in the city, for someone who is already nervous that they're being targeted, this could have thrown them into real disarray."

O'Connell said his program this week welcomed 25 homeless people into the Barbara McInnis House, a facility it usually restricts to homeless medical patients who require monitoring.

The homeless people who remained on the street, including some panhandlers, said they were disappointed in the visiting delegates, who tossed little into their cups or outstretched hands.

"This is the worst it's been," said Gilbert Farley, 48, the well-known homeless town crier of Boston Common. "I thought the Democrats would be giving to the homeless. They seem like they're only out for themselves."

Ric Kahn can be reached at rkahn@globe.com._

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Wow. SJO agreeing with Trumpt against giant. Now I've seen everything.

No kidding.
post #14 of 26
Then again, SJO is not disagreeing with my point.

Although I will now disagree with her embellishment at the end of that post.
post #15 of 26
So far I found 39 articles about the displacement of the homeless in NYC during the Convention. Apparently, all but one originate from a single AP news story. I can't find any other articles about the homeless in Boston during the convention (besides the Boston Globe article-- a New York Times company by the way). So neither received wide coverage-- with only three total newspapers doing original reporting on the issue. Maybe the AP did write a similar article for the Boston Convention, and I just can't find it. If they did, newspapers probably would have featured it-- but that's just my best guess. It's a wire service that newspapers subscribe to, after all. So I think the best accusation you can make is that the AP is "liberally biased"-- which is, of course, ludicrous.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
No, "tourists" don't give enough change:

Note, too, that this destroys your little liberal media bias conspiracy theory.

Also, here's a major difference:

Boston:

NYC:

Take the tinfoil off of your walls, nick. It's safe to come out.

Actually all you do is show how the media slants their stories.

There are not any sweeps in N.Y. either. The homeless are "moved" by virtue of the same variables. The put up big concrete barriers, post security and won't let you in or through the area unless you have proper credentials.

Boston didn't "sweep" them out. They just didn't allow them in. /sarcasm "Yeah, big difference."

Also the results are the same. Boston is keeping different shelters open longer, but the result, the same as New York, is that they will not be able to use the shelters downtown during the convention. The inconvenience of having to travel further to get shelter is the same for both conventions.

No difference in results, just differences in reporting.

Nick

post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
So far I found 39 articles about the displacement of the homeless in NYC during the Convention. Apparently, all but one originate from a single AP news story. I can't find any other articles about the homeless in Boston during the convention (besides the Boston Globe article-- a New York Times company by the way). So neither received wide coverage-- with only three total newspapers doing original reporting on the issue. Maybe the AP did write a similar article for the Boston Convention, and I just can't find it. If they did, newspapers probably would have featured it-- but that's just my best guess. It's a wire service that newspapers subscribe to, after all. So I think the best accusation you can make is that the AP is "liberally biased"-- which is, of course, ludicrous.

Sure, it's ludicrous because AP covered the same issues with the Democratic convention right?

Nick

post #18 of 26
Quote:
Actually all you do is show how the media slants their stories.

There are not any sweeps in N.Y. either. The homeless are "moved" by virtue of the same variables. The put up big concrete barriers, post security and won't let you in or through the area unless you have proper credentials.

Boston didn't "sweep" them out. They just didn't allow them in. /sarcasm "Yeah, big difference."

Also the results are the same. Boston is keeping different shelters open longer, but the result, the same as New York, is that they will not be able to use the shelters downtown during the convention. The inconvenience of having to travel further to get shelter is the same for both conventions.

No difference in results, just differences in reporting.

Nick

Yes Trumptman we know the media is biased. The problem with your assertion is that they are biased for themselves. They want ratings. That's the only bias there.

Well there is FOX News.....
post #19 of 26
Quote:
There are not any sweeps in N.Y. either. The homeless are "moved" by virtue of the same variables.

No, the areas being restriced in new york have large homeless populations and soup kitchens. The fact is that the situation WRT the homeless in this area is not the same as that in Boston, even though you wish it was so you could have some nonsense point.
post #20 of 26
"If George W. Bush becomes president, the armies of the homeless, hundreds of thousands strong, will once again be used to illustrate the opposition's arguments about welfare, the economy, and taxation."--Mark Helprin, Oct._31,_2000
post #21 of 26
Rush says there are no homeless people. Those who live on the street have a home. It is the street. They are HOUSELESS people, not homeless.
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac
Yes Trumptman we know the media is biased. The problem with your assertion is that they are biased for themselves. They want ratings. That's the only bias there.

Well there is FOX News.....

Ah.. I see. So what you are saying is that there would be no ratings in showing Democratic hypocrisy...

Yeah, just like that Lewinsky thing they ignored. Absolutely no ratings for them.

Nick

post #23 of 26
Quote:
Ah.. I see. So what you are saying is that there would be no ratings in showing Democratic hypocrisy...

Yeah, just like that Lewinsky thing they ignored. Absolutely no ratings for them.

Nick

Funny, I don't seem to remember them ignoring it at all. What planet were you living on then?

The media wants ratings period.

If it comes from republican or democratic misfortune doesn't matter.

I can't believe you think they ignored the Lewinsky/Clinton sex scandal. It was all we heard about for months!

Then we got to hear about Monica's book and her line of accessories......

Please!
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
Rush says there are no homeless people. Those who live on the street have a home. It is the street. They are HOUSELESS people, not homeless.

LMAO----Quoting Rush Limbaugh----- Brilliant!! That explains a lot.....

That made my afternoon.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac
Funny, I don't seem to remember them ignoring it at all. What planet were you living on then?

The media wants ratings period.

If it comes from republican or democratic misfortune doesn't matter.

I can't believe you think they ignored the Lewinsky/Clinton sex scandal. It was all we heard about for months!

Then we got to hear about Monica's book and her line of accessories......

Please!

I was being sarcastic. I should have put /sarc or something like that. I did include a smiley though.

The point is that while they do want ratings, if they get to pick Democrat or Republican to harm in that quest, they will pick Republican.

Who wants to take bets about how many articles about how the Republicans are shutting out the anti-war protesters we will hear?

Nick

post #26 of 26
Quote:
I was being sarcastic. I should have put /sarc or something like that. I did include a smiley though.

The point is that while they do want ratings, if they get to pick Democrat or Republican to harm in that quest, they will pick Republican.

Who wants to take bets about how many articles about how the Republicans are shutting out the anti-war protesters we will hear?

Nick

I've seen them lean on democrats also.

Besides maybe it has something to do with republicans being such easy targets.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Liberal Media Bias: The Homeless