or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Powell bails out of GOP convention

Powell bails out of GOP convention

post #1 of 27
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5660386/

Quote:
Secretary of State Colin Powell, intends to skip the GOP convention in New York that will nominate President Bush for a second term.
State Department deputy spokesman Adam Ereli drew attention to Powells remarks last week at a convention of minority journalists that he was obliged as secretary not to take part in "parochial debate."

This seems kind of odd. Powell may not always be in full agreement with the Bush admin, but he's been on-message in defending the admin's policies w/r/t Iraq. So why is he bailing out of the convention?

Edit: must have been a Freudian slip
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by kneelbeforezod
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5660386/

This seems kind of odd. Powell may not always be in full agreement with the Bush admin, but he's been on-message in defending the admin's policies w/r/t Iraq. So why is he bailing out of the convertion?

Convertion!
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #3 of 27
That is potentially big news . . . if it indicates a bigger rift . . . I mean, if it indicates that Powell is sick of doing fool's errands and wants to regain some self respect and autonomy . . .

perhaps he too is working on a book!

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #4 of 27
I have to laugh. You all think that the Bush Administration is on th everge of imploding. Sorry! It isn't! All of the trash and banter that the left sows means nothing. F/911 sure had a big effect didn't it? All that accomplished was putting money on Moore's fat pocket. All of your wishful thinking about the demise of GWB will get you nowhere.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #5 of 27
is there a fly in here?
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
I have to laugh. You all think that the Bush Administration is on th everge of imploding. Sorry! It isn't! All of the trash and banter that the left sows means nothing. F/911 sure had a big effect didn't it? All that accomplished was putting money on Moore's fat pocket. All of your wishful thinking about the demise of GWB will get you nowhere.

So one of the key figures (probably the key figure as far as moderate / centrist Republicans are concerned) deciding not to speak at the GOP convention doesn't even strike you as a little bit strange?

And what does Michael Moore have to do with any of this anyway?
post #7 of 27
Your thread title is misleading. "Bailing out" implies that he was scheduled to speak but then decided not to. He did not "bail out," he just isn't going to speak. I think there is a big difference there. Did Clinton's Secretary of State speak at the Democratic convention in 1996? I don' know, I'm curious. But anyway, I don't think Powell not going to the convention is that big of a deal.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
post #8 of 27
Moore's movie is just another example of what the anti-Bush crowd thought was "sure to get him". The anit-Bush crowd is so hungry for any glimmer of hope that the Bush administration is melting down. So what if Powell steps away? Clearly he is at odds with the President and Rumsfeld. If he feels that his views are different enough than theirs where he can no longer be part of the team, then I applaud him for stepping away. The point is that his disention does not signal some major problem in the administration.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
The anit-Bush crowd is so hungry for any glimmer of hope

Well, if I edit it down to that, I would have to agree with you.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #10 of 27
The next 4 years are going to tuff on you.
post #11 of 27
Quote:

What exactly are your views? Are you pro-life or pro-choice? Pro-gay or homophobic? I'm interested.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Convertion!

spelleng!

I bet a lot of people who felt that Powell is/was a good moderate will be at least a little relieved. By "a lot of people," I think I mean myself.
post #13 of 27
I will assemble my views into a manifesto and post as a seperate thread when I have time. This thread is not the place for that.

Moe
post #14 of 27
Quote:
I will assemble my views into a manifesto and post as a seperate thread when I have time. This thread is not the place for that.

Moe

I think we can all agree that if Moe was indeed a Common Man, he wouldn't be using a Macintosh.

Seems there is hypocrisy in this here "common man."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by G4Dude
Your thread title is misleading. "Bailing out" implies that he was scheduled to speak but then decided not to.

Scheduled or not, one certainly would have expected the Secretary of State during a time of war and a time where international cooperation with the US in its attempts to combat terrorism is a national imperative to speak. Powell is high profile. He's widely respected, both within the Republican party and across party lines as well as throughout the world. He is a key figure as far as a issues at the core of this election are concerned. It would seem like a good supportive speech from him would be an asset.

Quote:
Did Clinton's Secretary of State speak at the Democratic convention in 1996? I don' know, I'm curious.

Me neither, but was Warren Christopher ever as high-profile a member of the Clinton cabinet as Powell is of the Bush cabinet?

Quote:
The point is that his disention does not signal some major problem in the administration.

Doesnt it? People are, at the very least, going to wonder if Powell has elected not to speak because he no longer wants anything to do with the extreme end of the Republican party. Or perhaps if the extreme end has asked him not to speak because they no longer want to have anything to do with the moderate end. At the very least it represents a division between moderate / centrist Repubs and the extremist neo-cons (or rather, an exclusion of the moderate).
post #16 of 27
Quote:
I will assemble my views into a manifesto

Your looking more and more like the ones you hate every passing day.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Your looking more and more like the ones you hate every passing day.

I thought that too in another thread. I even likened good'ol commie man to the soviets... Funny how totalitarnism in any form be it here in the US, WWII Italy/German, Cold War USSR or anywhere all sounds the same.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
What exactly are your views? Are you pro-life or pro-choice? Pro-gay or homophobic? I'm interested.

He's rabidly pro-bush, and unable to vote, pay him no attention.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #19 of 27
Quote:

Moe

A "manifesto"??

I'm sure your subordinates can't wait to hear about your principles and policies.

Anyone seen Curly and Larry?
post #20 of 27
Quote:

Like I told someone else " You'd better have a stiff one on election night " but you're not old enough to drink.

Maybe you're better off going to bed early.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #21 of 27
Quote:

Pure comedy.

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmac
Like I told someone else " You'd better have a stiff one on election night " but you're not old enough to drink.

Maybe you're better off going to bed early.

"Manifesto" lor!

Let's see... who writes "manifestos"?
The two most famous manifestos were written by Karl Marx (the communist) and Ted Kaczynski (the "Unabomber" - a terrorist).

Common Man is clearly a Fascist, not a Communist. But I could well see him being a terrorist like Kaczynski or McVeigh at any time when the government is not an ultra-conservative one. I'm actually starting to be afraid of what he might do come November when all his silly propaganda is proven wrong and Kerry is elected as President. Especially when he uses terms like "manifesto".
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
"Manifesto" lor!

Let's see... who writes "manifestos"?

And a lot of anti-art Avant-Garde artists in the teens and twenties
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #24 of 27
I think everyone here who has spent the thread discussing Common Man and his motivations should be temp banned.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #25 of 27
OK, now that Curly has made his appearance, we should see Larry pop in RSN.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
OK, now that Curly has made his appearance, we should see Larry pop in RSN.

Oh... a wise guy eh?

Powell not speaking probably makes room for Ar-nald, Rudy and the other speakers. In 2000 he spoke, but was not part of the current administration in office.

Nick

post #27 of 27
" think we can all agree that if Moe was indeed a Common Man, he wouldn't be using a Macintosh."

Please. Rush has used Macs for decades.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Powell bails out of GOP convention