or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bikes Against Bush

Bikes Against Bush  

post #1 of 19
Some of you may have seen this in popular science. But Joshua Kinberg for his thesis created a bike that can spray paint messages from the internet as well as upload pictures and locations of messages. He plans to use it to protest the republican convention in NYC.

Quote:
1. Nokia 3650 cellphone receives a text message sent from Kinberg's site. If the rider wants to print it, he sends it via Bluetooth to a Powerbook.
2. AppleScript and Perl code translate each letter into a 5-by-5 dot-matrix pattern and send binary code to a black box containing a BASIC stamp microcontroller.
3. Code is translated into high- or low-voltage signals, and sent via homemade serial cable to five relay switches housed in a custom-made Plexiglas box
4. Relays fire electromagnetic solenoids, powered by a 12-V gel cell battery
5. Solenoid pistons trigger nozzles on inverted spray-chalk aerosol cans to blast out a dot. The rate of fire adjusts automatically based on the rider's speed
6. GPS device captures the position of the sprayed message, and the webcam snaps a pic; both are uploaded through the cellphone's GPRS to a blog

it is a pretty cool application of tech. He has two sites

this site is going to be used during the convention

his other site is related to the thesis and has more information

some have already suggested messages to be sprayed in New York here are my two favorites (one of which is mine):

When Clinton lied, nobody died

Bush pro-life? over 900 dead in Iraq
"The only second chance you get in life is the chance to make the same mistake twice"
"The only second chance you get in life is the chance to make the same mistake twice"
post #2 of 19
That is a pretty cool idea. Too bad they claim it is about the "people" but then edit out any messages they don't approve of.

I wonder if someone will design a bike the chalk spraypaints the anti sign over and over and just follows this guy around?

(Stumbles out to garage)

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #3 of 19
Of course this is illegal. While Bloomberg is busy chasing smokers out of bars this free speech vandal ride past smokers standing on the sidewalk.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Of course this is illegal. While Bloomberg is busy chasing smokers out of bars this free speech vandal ride past smokers standing on the sidewalk.

Arrest the kids for writing with chalk on the sidewalks!!!
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #5 of 19
Quote:

It's chalk, not permanent spraypaint, therefore not vandalism. As usual, you don't know this because you didn't RTFA.

Glad to see you think people should be arrested for exercising their free speech, though.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #6 of 19
Well I for one am glad Scott is communist now.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #7 of 19
I think this bike thing is pretty cool. Too bad I'm a Republican \
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
It's chalk, not permanent spraypaint, therefore not vandalism. As usual, you don't know this because you didn't RTFA.

Glad to see you think people should be arrested for exercising their free speech, though.

I did read it asshole. Show me where in the law it says it's not vandalism if the paint is easy to remove moron.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Arrest the kids for writing with chalk on the sidewalks!!!

It's my understanding an adult will be riding the bike.
post #10 of 19
It's funny how people's perceptions of legal and illegal changes based on the message.
post #11 of 19
As always the laws are pretty vague on this one
check out this site

it seems under state law you have broken the law if you made a mark/message "with the intent to damage property of another person" so I think he is clean since he has no intent to damage, just to spread a message that will not damage the side walk

but on city law he might get nailed

Quote:
No person shall write, paint or draw any inscription, figure or mark of any type on any public or private building or other structure or any other real or personal property owned, operated or maintained by a public benefit corporation, the city of New York or any agency or instrumentality thereof or by any person, firm, or corporation, or any personal property maintained

but then again that brings up how vague that is, the idea of children with chalk.

but honestly who cares, can't we put aside our political differences and recognize this creative and technological achievement
post #12 of 19
Quote:
It's funny how people's perceptions of legal and illegal changes based on the message.

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra48

Bush pro-life? over 900 dead in Iraq

Almost totally off-topic but why are Americans, even those opposed to the war and/or Bush, totally oblivious to the deaths of Iraqis?

Are your media's messages so twisted that these deaths have simply not registered? Do you all just not care?

I see this all the time, references to the first Gulf War as 'bloodless' for example. It's truly frightening but also helps explain why some people are so gung-ho to cause large-scale death and destruction.
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by stupider...likeafox
Almost totally off-topic but why are Americans, even those opposed to the war and/or Bush, totally oblivious to the deaths of Iraqis?

Are your media's messages so twisted that these deaths have simply not registered? Do you all just not care?

I see this all the time, references to the first Gulf War as 'bloodless' for example. It's truly frightening but also helps explain why some people are so gung-ho to cause large-scale death and destruction.

The media was just being nice. You mean they beam over the images of Americans cheering when the bunker busters were falling?

Oh wait that would be the entire Arabic world after the twin towers.. sorry...

Perhaps they don't have a daily broadcast of Iraqi deaths, but then again, there's no cheering either.

Nick

post #15 of 19
The Bush haters are lined up to make fools of themselves outside of the convention. The more the Bush haters show their true colors, the better for Bush and America. Middle America will be further and further turned off by the tactics of the left and support for the President will increase during the convention. The left should be a little worrried that their convention brought them no significant gains. So go write on the sidewalk and carry your mean spirited signs and talk your trash. America is watching the the more America sees of you the more votes GWD will get.

Moe L
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
The media was just being nice. You mean they beam over the images of Americans cheering when the bunker busters were falling?

Oh wait that would be the entire Arabic world after the twin towers.. sorry...

Oh, you must mean those Israelis that were cheering the attacks.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
I did read it asshole. Show me where in the law it says it's not vandalism if the paint is easy to remove moron.

Up yours asshole. See, I can ad-hom with the best of them!

Nice typical response, too - you make an outrageous claim, and when you're called on it, you say "oh yeah, well prove it's not true".

You are the fucking know-it-all claiming this is vandalism, so why don't YOU show us the law that says that writing on a sidewalk or street with chalk is vandalism?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Perhaps they don't have a daily broadcast of Iraqi deaths, but then again, there's no cheering either.

Nick

The lack of any reaction is precisely the point. The media doesn't report the total number of Iraqi deaths, numbered between 11,500 and 13,500 civilians... and counting (according to Iraq Body Count). I agree that I don't think the American public could possibly cheer that number.
post #19 of 19
Time to use the brakes.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bikes Against Bush