or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › N.J. Governor Resigns, Admits He Is Gay

N.J. Governor Resigns, Admits He Is Gay

post #1 of 61
Quote:
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - In a stunning declaration, Gov. James E. McGreevey announced his resignation Thursday and acknowledged that he had an extramarital affair with another man. "My truth is that I am a gay American," he said.

"Shamefully, I engaged in adult consensual affairs with another man, which violates my bonds of matrimony," the married father of two said. "It was wrong, it was foolish, it was inexecusable."

The Democrat said his resignation would be effective Nov. 15.

McGreevey said he would step down because his secret - both his sexuality and his affair - leaves the governor's office vulnerable.

Thoughts?

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 61
If we expected all of our politicians to resign when they had affairs, nothing would get done.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #3 of 61
50/50.

Bad that he is including his sexuality as a vulnerability to being a governer. Good that he is taking a moral stand and resigning in a profession that doesn't have any (moral stands), for the most part. Bad that his private life is affecting his professional life so.
post #4 of 61
Is he resigning because he had an affair or because it was with another man ?
Or is he saying you can't be gay and a politician in America?

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

post #5 of 61
I understand, apart from any moral angle of an extra-marital affair, there is a blackmail angle. Going public with being gay removes this problem; resigning probably removes McGreevey from a difficult fight regarding his legitmacy as a governor (you can be sure it would be made an issue, however obliquely).

Hmmm...correction: apparently he's anticipating a sexual harrassment suit from an aide who didn't have the proper qualifications to begin with. Resigning takes him out of the light of some pretty harsh questions.
post #6 of 61
He knew it would get bloody if he stayed on. Probably made a good decision.
It's kind of shocking for some reason.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #7 of 61
I don't care if he's gay, but cheating is not cool. He did the right thing by resigning.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
post #8 of 61
Resigning because you cheated is pretty stupid. It encourages people to associate the two actions (having sex and holding office) when there is absolutely no connection. Having an affair doesn't impede your ability to do your job in any way.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by bunge
Resigning because you cheated is pretty stupid. It encourages people to associate the two actions (having sex and holding office) when there is absolutely no connection. Having an affair doesn't impede your ability to do your job in any way.

I agree whole heartedly. One is doing a service for the public the other is your private life which should be yours to do with as you please ( right or wrong ). As long as it doesn't affect your job there's absolutely no connection.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #10 of 61
Quote:

Agreed.
post #11 of 61
Quote:
Or is he saying you can't be gay and a politician in America

There are a few Congress(wo)men who are gay. Barney Franks is the most well known. There is a some guy from Arizona who is gay as well and is a Republican. And there is some chick from somewhere who is a lesbian and in Congress. The House has smaller constituencies and in many cases one party has a very large majority in a particular congressional district. Obviously it is much easier to get elected if you represent a secular and/or liberal constituency. I can't imagine anyone who is gay getting elected to the House from a Bible Belt state.

I won't swear to it but if you are talking about a statewide office, AFAIK, no Senator, Governor, or Presidential candidate has ever been openly gay and been elected thereafter. Some people say President James Buchanon was gay since he was the only president who was single but who knows if that is true.

It's not just about being gay though, we can hardly get blacks or hispanics or asians or women elected to the Senate either. If you're a Senator, chances are still very good that you are white, male, over 50, Christian, Hetero, and Married/Widowed. Women are on the rise especially over the last decade. They're now up to 14% or so in both houses of Congress. Although one of those 14 female Senators, Lisa Murkowski, was appointed by the governor of AK who happens to be her father, and two of the others gained fame because of their husbands, Elizabeth Dole and Hillary Clinton.

If you exclude the current crop there were only 19 other female Senators in the 200 plus years beforehand and many were temporary appointments. Only six of those served full six year terms.

AFAIK we have zero black senators at present and we've had a grand total of two or three over 100+ years since reconstruction. We have zero hispanic senators at present as well and New Mexico is the only state to elect a Latino to the Senate AFAIK.

Ben Nighthorse Campbell is Native-American and the two Hawaiian Senators have tended to be Hawai'ian natives. But that's about it.

Fourteen women and three minorities. That puts the Senate at 83% white male although white males probably are about 35% of the population.
post #12 of 61
I'm glad people aren't jumping on the "he's gay and that's why he's resigning" conclusion. I don't really think his coming out of the closet has (or should have) much to do with his resignation. I am ambivalent about the idea that politicians should resign due to affairs since, on one hand, it means they're liars and untrustworthy, and on the other hand, as politicians, they are liars and untrustworthy anyway.

McGreevy has always been a total creep, but I do sympathize with how difficult it must be for him, how scared he was to admit as much.

Having said that, this affair thing is only one aspect of the scandals he created and brought with him into office. McGreevy has been in hot water a lot in NJ due to his cronyism and money controversies (campaign funds and such) which I suppose wouldn't be so unusual if it weren't so blatant. We're talking blackmail and racketeering charges. McGreevy's tenure as governor until this point was classified as one of the most corrupt tenures of any governor in recent history. The cynical part of me would say that this announcement was meant to deflect focus from those problems and to garner sympathy among voters and his base party members in this blue state. Well, I think the first part of that last sentence is probably true anyway, though I honestly can't be so cynical as to think this is strictly a political ploy.
post #13 of 61
Seems like this guy is in a lot of personal turmoil right now. Maybe being governor is not productive for him and the state right now?
post #14 of 61
There's apparently a sexual harrassment/blackmail/moneysomehowinvolved situation. He's getting out before he dragged NJ around behind him in some sordid public nastiness.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
Although one of those 14 female Senators, Lisa Murkowski, was appointed by the governor of AK who happens to be her father

...and also her first cousin.
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by BuonRotto
I'm glad people aren't jumping on the "he's gay and that's why he's resigning" conclusion. I don't really think his coming out of the closet has (or should have) much to do with his resignation. I am ambivalent about the idea that politicians should resign due to affairs since, on one hand, it means they're liars and untrustworthy, and on the other hand, as politicians, they are liars and untrustworthy anyway.

McGreevy has always been a total creep, but I do sympathize with how difficult it must be for him, how scared he was to admit as much.

Having said that, this affair thing is only one aspect of the scandals he created and brought with him into office. McGreevy has been in hot water a lot in NJ due to his cronyism and money controversies (campaign funds and such) which I suppose wouldn't be so unusual if it weren't so blatant. We're talking blackmail and racketeering charges. McGreevy's tenure as governor until this point was classified as one of the most corrupt tenures of any governor in recent history. The cynical part of me would say that this announcement was meant to deflect focus from those problems and to garner sympathy among voters and his base party members in this blue state. Well, I think the first part of that last sentence is probably true anyway, though I honestly can't be so cynical as to think this is strictly a political ploy.

in other words he is a typical new jerseyan
post #17 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
in other words he is a typical new jerseyan

And you're a typical New Yorker.
post #18 of 61
I think it was inappropriate for him to admit he was gay. He should have simply admitted to having an affair with a man and left it at that. There's no reason to imply that his sexuality has anything to do with his resignation.
post #19 of 61
Quote:
Seems like this guy is in a lot of personal turmoil right now. Maybe being governor is not productive for him and the state right now

I...agree? Hehe that was my favorite part of this thread!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Seems like this guy is in a lot of personal turmoil right now. Maybe being governor is not productive for him and the state right now?

If that were the case, why didn't he say so? Unfortunately he didn't, and that means you need to think of a better excuse.
post #21 of 61
Quote:
If that were the case, why didn't he say so? Unfortunately he didn't, and that means you need to think of a better excuse.

Thanks for your important contribution to the thread troll. Now run back under your bridge.
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Thanks for your important contribution to the thread troll. Now run back under your bridge.

Sorry but the guy should say so if your assertion is correct. He didn't, so he's made the issue bigger than what you suggest.
post #23 of 61
Quote:
Sorry but the guy should say so if your assertion is correct. He didn't, so he's made the issue bigger than what you suggest.

Yes you got me bunge. Now run back under the bridge. The sun it up.
post #24 of 61
Read the ABC news website for a good article into the whole affair.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040813_471.html

I am happy that the Governor was not power hungry and took a stand on the issue. While he have may been forced to resign due to the desperation in his situation, I do think it takes guts to do it right instead of spinning a web of lies. I would vote for the known devil (James E. McGreevey) if he stood for election again.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #25 of 61
I thought it was funny watching his wife while this guy was making his statement. i didnt know if shw was in shock,startled or was going to beat the crap out of her husband off camera. the look on her face was amazing.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
If we expected all of our politicians to resign when they had affairs, nothing would get done.

I and most people dont care if he is hetero-, homo-, or bi- sexual, he was being blackmailed, he made bad appointments, he was being blackmailed, if he hadn't come out, and he gave into the blackmail, what would happen, would the tax-payers money be used for pay-offs? or even worse, in this case, think of what harm the blackmail-suggested underqualified anti-terror advisor may have done.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #27 of 61
I'd like to give McGreevy credit. I would like to...really. He's been a decent governor (though I disagree with his tax polices). He's been a publicly visible Governor, pushing NJ businesses and tourism. Overall...not bad.

But I can't give him credit. This is a premptive political strike. McGreevy was having an affair with a man that was on the state payroll. This man threatended to sue McGreevy. This would have cripled his ability to govern. If McGreevy wanted to really do the right thing, he would have resigned effective at the end of August. Then, a special election would be called (which, from what the pundits are saying, the Dems would probably win anyway).

But McGreevy doesn't want that. He's resigning effective November 15th, just in time not to have a special election. It reeks of politics. And, by coming out and admitting such a big thing, McGreevy paints himself well in the court of public opinion, should a suit arise.

I simply can't give the NJ Democratic party that much credit either. John Corzine literally bought his Senate seat. He barely won against a challenger that couldn't begin to match his dollar figure. Then, when Toricelli resigned, the Democrats got a court of law to go along with changing the election laws to allow Lautenberg to run and win. This was patently illegal (the language on replacing candidates was EXPLICIT and allowed for NO exceptions), but it happened anyway.
post #28 of 61
I think the ONE thing that ticks me off about the whole thing is that SURE, he's resigning, but he won't leave office until AFTER the elections. So what he's doing is stonewalling the possibility of an election to fill the empty governors seat. According to the NJ Constitution, if a void opens up in the governors seat prior to 60 days from the general election, they (NJ) can vote for a new Gov. BUT if a void opens within that 60 day zone, you have to wait until the next election cycle to elect a new Gov. I believe whomever is under him rank wise, moves up till then.

Thing that ticks me off is it's dirty politics... There is a very popular Rep. Gov hopeful that if allowed to run in THIS general election, has the possibility of winning and turning NJ into a swing state. By blocking the general election by leaving WELL after his official anouncement, McGreevy is playing dirty.

IMHO.
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral...
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral...
post #29 of 61
Quote:
something about bunge being a troll and needing to do something under a bridge

troll: v. trolled, troll·ing, trolls
v. tr.
To fish for by trailing a baited line from behind a slowly moving boat.

Just so you know.
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by talksense101
Read the ABC news website for a good article into the whole affair.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040813_471.html

I am happy that the Governor was not power hungry and took a stand on the issue. While he have may been forced to resign due to the desperation in his situation, I do think it takes guts to do it right instead of spinning a web of lies. I would vote for the known devil (James E. McGreevey) if he stood for election again.

That article largely misses the point, though at least it goes over the real issues near the end. I would say that if he's really resigning because he thinks his sexual orientation and its fallout would get in the way, he is somewhat misguided. His past performance is a better rationale for resigning, but now he doesn't have to answer to these more pertinent issues srurrounding his governorship. His friends were given positions on the state payroll for which they were not qualified, and often didn't have a real job to do for the pay. He's been accused of misappropriating state and democratic party funds. He's being paid off by developers to undermine these land conservation and "smart growth" initiatives. He's been accused of getting involved in blackmail and extortion with his seedy cronies.

Funny, reading that article, I get the feeling that people outside this state like our governors a lot more than the people in this state do. We didn't take a real shine to Whitman either. Sort of like John Edwards and John McCain as I understand.
post #31 of 61
The ridiculous thing about this is that he's announcing today, but he has made his resignation effective Nov 15 which assures that a Democrat will remain Governor since Senate President Richard Codey will serve out the rest of his term.

However, if he had made his resignation effective immediately, Senator Codey would take over as Governor, however only until a Special Election at the same time as the Presidential Election. At least then the voters would have the opportunity to chose their Governor - as promised by the state constitution.

It smacks of politics.
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
And you're a typical New Yorker.

and please share what that means
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
troll: v. trolled, troll·ing, trolls
v. tr.
To fish for by trailing a baited line from behind a slowly moving boat.

Just so you know.

Just so I know what?

The above one works along with the noun. Dual meaning. Very clever.

Quote:
troll, n.2

a. In Scandinavian mythology, One of a race of supernatural beings formerly conceived as giants, now, in Denmark and Sweden, as dwarfs or imps, supposed to inhabit caves or subterranean dwellings
post #34 of 61
Thats trold
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #35 of 61
Quote:
Just so I know what?

Just so you know that the term "troll" derives from "trolling," as in someone who comes into a thread and "trolls" for "fish" to bite at his "bait." That's all. It has nothing to do with mythology.

It's a fishing metaphor.

Quote:
The above one works along with the noun. Dual meaning. Very clever.

The fact that it works as a noun is either a pure construction of online discourse or is a reference to "troll" as a lure, which is what it means in noun form.

The image you're (and many, many, MANY others) relying on simply makes no sense. Why would a mythical beast come out from under a bridge and attempt to engage people in senseless argument? It makes much more sense that someone is trying to bait people into biting at arguments.

That's all.

Oh. I forgot. Bush sucks! Kerry rules!
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Thats trold

No it's Troll, you troll.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by New
No it's Troll, you troll.

In Wacky Norway perhaps
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Thats trold

No, that's trolled.

As in, "How ironic; the only person in here that actually trolled is a 'PhD' who doesn't know the etymological root of the verb, 'to troll.'"
meh
meh
post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald
No, that's trolled.

As in, "How ironic; the only person in here that actually trolled is a 'PhD' who doesn't know the etymological root of the verb, 'to troll.'"

...who got corrected by another Ph.D.
post #40 of 61
Quote:
In Wacky Norway perhaps

Are you trollingly implying that trolls are not Norwegian?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › N.J. Governor Resigns, Admits He Is Gay