or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › TS reports on new imac specs

TS reports on new imac specs - Page 2

post #41 of 698
Here we go again!
The same comments and arguments come up every-time Apple introduces a revised iMac. Apple cannot bring the computer in at Dell's commodity prices. Apple needs higher margins. Apple cannot buy "off the shelf" components from a choice of vendors as Dell and HP do. It's always been that way. Sure some parts are already out there, but most are specifically designed for the iMac. $999 iMacs would be hard to produce with any down the line profit to Apple. This is a public corporation. They cannot produce "loss leaders" to mollify a handful of people without losing money for their shareholders. It is in fact illegal to deliberately do so. Rant over.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #42 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
well, folks, here's your G5 powerbook.

Thank you very much, keep it for yourself .
post #43 of 698
LOL did you say 4mx?lol lol did you say fx5200? lol lol iF Apple uses the worst & old video like 4mx & fx5200 they can expect to have a lot of imacs laying around. who in there right mind would buy any new machine with these dog video chips. If this holds true then its easy to see that some idiots are running and ruining Apple. 4mx was old garbage and fx5200 is garbage. a poor video sysytem with no upgrade has killed imac yet they are going to do more of the same? idiots runnning apple just dont get it do they. 64bit fx5200 will kill off sales faster then sky high prices.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #44 of 698
The optical-drive-free low end model makes *perfect* sense for two arenas: education, and... wait for it... business.

Why?

No one can boot off a CD and bypass the permissions on the drive.

The drive is ghosted off of a network boot system.

It's perfect.

Make that sucker $999, and it'd be the perfect machine to sell in lots of 50 bundled with an Xserve.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #45 of 698
CONFIRMED!

If these specs are true I'm not buying. Period. Think Secret has been on the money recently also.

I really was hoping for a display-less single G5 system but I know Apple will never make it because too many of us want one. I don't need dual CPUs, and I don't need an Apple display. Why can't Apple get this, and make a box for the rest of us??
post #46 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
LOL did you say 4mx?lol lol did you say fx5200? lol lol iF Apple uses the worst & old video like 4mx & fx5200 they can expect to have a lot of imacs laying around. who in there right mind would buy any new machine with these dog video chips. If this holds true then its easy to see that some idiots are running and ruining Apple. 4mx was old garbage and fx5200 is garbage. a poor video sysytem with no upgrade has killed imac yet they are going to do more of the same? idiots runnning apple just dont get it do they. 64bit fx5200 will kill off sales faster then sky high prices.

okay, to cut apple a LITTLE bit of slack here, is no one actually reading the low-end emac replacement educational model correctly? what do you need anything higher than a 4MX in there? it's not like the students are gonna be playing doom iii while the teacher tries to review chemistry lessons. and isn't 32MB of RAM the minimum to get quartz extreme working?

so yes, it's the bottom rung mac now. how many people here would actually buy the bottom rung mac at ANY point in time? i am guessing very few. i can't comment on the fx5200, as i don't know much about it.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #47 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickaha
The optical-drive-free low end model makes *perfect* sense for two arenas: education, and... wait for it... business.

Why?

No one can boot off a CD and bypass the permissions on the drive.

The drive is ghosted off of a network boot system.

It's perfect.

Make that sucker $999, and it'd be the perfect machine to sell in lots of 50 bundled with an Xserve.

This would be an ideal machine for corporate networks. I wholeheartedly agree.
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #48 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by Bancho
This would be an ideal machine for corporate networks. I wholeheartedly agree.

Yeah, no doubt, but that's not all the story. There is the rest of the line too.
post #49 of 698
Poor video systems will kill this machines sales to consumers.the fact is fx5200 has no business in any Mac. its cheap crap thats cheap for apple to buy and is last in performance. They should be ashamed for using fx5200 in powermac. This machine will be another looser from the artist at Apple who have forgotten performance and dont seem to get what the video card option has done for the PC market. Apple has become to busy at styling games instead of just building a machine for consumers. its like they dont want to sell computers. these video specs are a freaking joke.
post #50 of 698
Quote:
these video specs are a freaking joke.

For what, pray tell?

Seriously.

Gaming? No serious gamer is going to be looking at the Mac anyway... and I still maintain your money is better spent on a console.

Professional video/image processing? *cough* PowerMac *cough*

This is for the casual home user and/or the business environment. And for those... these are fine.

Not every machine has to be a top performer in every category.
post #51 of 698
I'll bet the specs are almost correct. I read that there is a mistake in the number on the graphics card? You'l probably be able to get a build to order so you can play your games. We'll see. I think its interesting that this upcoming new iMac may actually be the design that Steve rejected when he introduced the Sunflower iMac... or at least a variation on the original. Just a guess of course.

Now, finally, AI can publish their illustration of the new iMac!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Kickaha. Don't post something that makes sense. There's no room on AI for reasoned thought!
post #52 of 698
Quote:
For what, pray tell?

Seriously.

Gaming? No serious gamer is going to be looking at the Mac anyway... and I still maintain your money is better spent on a console.

Professional video/image processing? *cough* PowerMac *cough*

This is for the casual home user and/or the business environment. And for those... these are fine.

Not every machine has to be a top performer in every category.

But isn't a G4 still good enough for those users also?
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #53 of 698
Quote:
Poor video systems will kill this machines sales to consumers.the fact is fx5200 has no business in any Mac. its cheap crap thats cheap for apple to buy and is last in performance. They should be ashamed for using fx5200 in powermac. This machine will be another looser from the artist at Apple who have forgotten performance and dont seem to get what the video card option has done for the PC market. Apple has become to busy at styling games instead of just building a machine for consumers. its like they dont want to sell computers. these video specs are a freaking joke.

I disagree. Sure, they could have put an option for better graphics in it but for people like my parents, my job, schools and a good many other places. A lot of PC's are using integrated graphics Intel or NForce or other and a lot of those are purchased by consumers and business as well.

The prices are higher than people wanted. I'm not sure how that's a big surprise. I don't think they are near as bad as people make them out. I fully expected 17" at $1299 in another thread here.

Those who realistically expected a headless iMac were truly deluded. I could see where a smaller tower (maybe single processor) would be nice but I can't see the cube making a return soon.

I'm interested to see what the machines look like. I'm hoping they have more of the appeal the original iMacs had. The original iMacs had at best a Rage Pro video chip (with 2 to 16 MB) and still sold like mad.

There are still a couple weeks until it's officially unvelied. TS may have gotten some info but perhaps it is not 100%. Who knows?
post #54 of 698
What Apple doesnt seem to get even with their gaming page is that yes consumers are gamers,yes there are many great games for Mac and more are on the way and yes people will want to game on their new $2000 iMac. 64mb video doesnt cut it,fx5200 doesnt cut it and having no upgrade for the poor video doesnt cut it. This machine is screaming to consumers not to buy and it hasnt even came out yet. MISTAKE! Apple has missed the consumer market again. to busy with art guys and bean counters to build a real consumer machine.

The other specs are fine,G5 at 1.6 and 1.8 is nice but this video system will kill off sales. this is absurd when videocard makers have x600,x800 6800s 9800s etc. Apple is lost. all they know is pods and have not a clue what makes for a top selling computer for the masses. consumers want the video option and apple refuses. stupid is as stupid does.
post #55 of 698
Doesn't anybody here use computers for things other then games? This is the same old same whine. Buy a console as suggested and let the computer be used for useful, productive things.
post #56 of 698
While I would love for the iMac3 to have upgradable graphics, I doubt that it will happen. Sigh...

On the other hand, all these people who are slamming the 64Mb graphics card are a little over the top. It, in combination with the G5 and updated motherboard, will perform much better than the iMac2. It seems like a solid upgrade to the iMac line to me.

The iMac2 sold just fine; up until the last couple of quarters. The iMac3 will also sell well.

We may have wanted revolution (we always do ), but evolution is good!
post #57 of 698
Quote:
The other specs are fine,G5 at 1.6 and 1.8 is nice but this video system will kill off sales. this is absurd

I'm fine with an iMac 3 for around £750 with 17 inch LCD, 1.6 G5 and p*ss poor graphics. Most PCs around this mark have integrated graphics or a graphic card of comparable 'low' quality. Only 256 megs of ram in a machine of this price is poor. 512 sticks cost nothing these days. And I bet Apple gets them loads cheaper. But if its £995 inc VAT then it's P*SS POOR!

If Apple can sell an iBook for £795 then they sure should be able to get a low end desktop around this mark if not lower. Alot of PCs are now at this price, offering 512 megs of ram and a 17 inch LCD and crap graphics, if Apple can near match that? Fine. Nothing new here.

A 1.6 G5 and 32 meg graphic card? Erm. 64 megs, surely? Should be able to run Tiger okay and be an 'okay' edu desktop and a fine X-Serve client in bunches of '50'. Fine. No optical drive. Fine. So a bulk sell iMac barebones can go for £600?

Who knows.

But I echo previous sentiments. Yeesh, for the price difference in the low end consumer machine...offer a goddamn superdrive. They're dirt cheap now. Bout worth skimping on. What? An extra 35£ to the price?

But what irks me is that no upgradeable graphics slot. NO decent graphics card option in the top end version which will chime in at £1500 no doubt. OUCH.

KarMARRRRN! For said price. Okay. No 6800. Get that. I do. But what about a Radeon 9800xt? A Radeon 9700 at least. It's in the Powerbook!

Apple are in a constant quandry. Pants specs. Less people buy. Less profits.

Take a hit on margins. Decent specs. More people buy. More profits. Market(!) share!!!

How much do an extra 256 megs, a superdrive and a decent graphics card add up to anyhow?

£200? Tops? I expect that on a 'high end' machine.

And don't get me started on the graphics card choices in the PowerMac...

It's about value. Take away the G5 and it looks like Apple haven't learned their lesson...bend over Apple...here we go...one more time...

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #58 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
Doesn't anybody here use computers for things other then games? This is the same old same whine. Buy a console as suggested and let the computer be used for useful, productive things.

same stupid philosophy that guarenteed imac lcd was a sales failure. a computer is for many things but mostly entertainment for the consumer buyer music,media,games but you are going to buy a new machine for $2000 that has a fx5200???? they might as well keep making G4s because this thing is a dog from the get go. why even bother with a G5 if you are giving it a video system with specs from 3 years ago. laptops from last year have video systems that blow away this imac.

4MX = crap from 3+ years ago
Fx5200= crap from last year. cheap to make,cheap to buy and still worst video performance of any current made video.

Apple= no idea what a consumer wants in a machine. clueless and lost in its all in one dream but mostly thinking of pods pods and more pods.
post #59 of 698
Quote:
why can't apple just do it right the first time

Shrugs...

Lemon Bon Bon\
post #60 of 698
The specs are fine with the exception of the graphics card. It looks TS is mistaking the GeForce FX series graphics cards with the GeForce4 MX series graphics card throughout the whole article. The current out-of-stock 17+ inch iMacs have a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra graphics cards, and the 15 inch model has GeForce4 MX. So maybe TS is confusing the new models with the old models here. I think if Apple is sticking with Nvidia, the FX 5200 Ultra would be the bottom end for new machines.

The problem will undoubtedly be the prices. Anything above $1500 for a single purchase is simply out-of-reach for most people in the consumer market. For the millionth time, Apple really needs, presuming they care about the market, a headless desktop for <$1000 and a 15"/17" monitors for $300 to $400.
post #61 of 698
How hard would it be for Apple to make a plain alu box/mini tower/pizza horizontal/vertical/shuttle/cube... and let the end user configure what they want from base price/spec points?

They've done the R&D for said device 'tween the PowerMac, Cube and iMac 3.

Bundle with 17 inch alu version of same alu LCDs and hey...

We're all happy... AIO freaks can hide the 'cube' and pretend the alu monitor is an AIO and Cube fans can show it off with pride. And mini-tower freaks (myself included) can say dey got a mini-tower with a single G5 in it and an upgradeable graphics slot... WIN WIN WIN!!!

I hope the 32 megs of video ram is a joke... I almost whizzed myself laughing...

"Fear not Lemon, help has arrived."

(Image of Lemon kicking the iMac 3 specs over to the tag-team corner...) 'Okay ''tag'', Matsu, it's you're turn again...'

Lemon Bon Bon
post #62 of 698
i don't knwo what is wrong with some of you. We are goinf to buy a dozzen of these things right off the bat. The 20" model will make a great freelance machine for graphics. I'm talking about Quark, Indesign, Illustrator and, yes, Photoshop.
post #63 of 698
This seems like some BS, doesn't it? Here's the things that just don't make any sense:

1. The video specs are wrong - period. It would be disastrous to release that.
2. Digital audio out that doesn't support Dolby? Huh? Apple is indeed a licensed Dolby Manufacturer. Give me a f***ing break!
3. Vertical Superdrives? Hmm, thought that was not possible.
4. $1,300 for an EDU model? Apple has said (I believe it was Fred Anderson, at the last quarterly financial report) that the iMac was overpriced and were going to cut prices.

If it smells like a rat....
...we have assumed control
post #64 of 698
Quote:
The specs are fine with the exception of the graphics card. It looks TS is mistaking the GeForce FX series graphics cards with the GeForce4 MX series graphics card throughout the whole article. The current out-of-stock 17+ inch iMacs have a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra graphics cards, and the 15 inch model has GeForce4 MX. So maybe TS is confusing the new models with the old models here. I think if Apple is sticking with Nvidia, the FX 5200 Ultra would be the bottom end for new machines.

The problem will undoubtedly be the prices. Anything above $1500 for a single purchase is simply out-of-reach for most people in the consumer market. For the millionth time, Apple really needs, presuming they care about the market, a headless desktop for <$1000 and a 15"/17" monitors for $300 to $400.

Surely 5200fx will be the bottom card. Here's praying!!! If it's veiled in that much secrecy maybe TS will update the article nearer lauch time.

They surely CAN'T be the specs of an Apple consumer machine as we head into 2005!!!?

I liked your last bit. Why can't Apple just give us 17 and 15 inch alu versions of their very sexy monitors for between £200 and £350? ... and headless units units from £595-£1095?

How hard is it? They've done the work.

Putting it together?

Is it tooooooo simple?

Clicks ruby red heels and dreams for THT's comments to come true...

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. Say, where's Amorph...? AIO whining matches are no fun without Amorph...

post #65 of 698
Quote:
i don't knwo what is wrong with some of you.

Read the thinksecret link again...

Lemon Bon Bon
post #66 of 698
Quote:
$1,300 for an EDU model?

aheh...not a dry eye in the house...

Lemon Bon Bon
post #67 of 698
OT: Why can't I accesss TS website? Using 10.3.5 and latest safari?
post #68 of 698
I'm going to pour some more fuel on this fire. While Think Secret has been very accurate on their specs for upcoming Macs, they've always been low on the price.

So here we go ladies and gentlemen, be prepared for the TRUE insanity to be shown.

Apple has kept pushing up the baseline price of all their products. The low end PowerMac used to be $1599 and while the rest of the market is shedding hundreds of dollars from prices the low end PowerMac is now... $1999, and yes that is with an Nvidia 5200 Ultra.

Think Secret was a bit smarter this time and left themselves some room for the pricing, room to go higher of course.

I'm betting that the $1299 edition will be the optical-less educational edition. I'm betting that the low end iMac will be listed at $1599 retail.

You heard me. $1599. Does it make any sense? Does anything at Apple these days?

Edit: From the article...

Quote:
The entry-level consumer iMac will have the same specs of the 17-inch educational model, but with a slot-loading Combo drive, 80GB Serial ATA hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce MX 5200 Ultra graphics processor with 64MB of DDR video memory, and a 56K internal modem.

Realize that any current PowerMac 1.6's out there are still going for $1599. (I don't know who is crazy enough to pay for them but still that is the Apple Minimum Suggested Retail Pricing) Thus Apple will be able to say that you are getting what you received before in the PowerMac, but now with a 17 inch LCD monitor.

I'll bet I'm dead on.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #69 of 698
These specs if even close will not grow marketshare for Apple. in fact by getting so carried away with monitors and all in ones this machine will almost make sure that market will be lost. we all know iMac has to be crippled because of Powermac but having such poor video means this machine will chase away buyers. Apple has taken its eye off the ball and is still chasing the failure of all in ones. This machine seems to be a step backwards from current iMac except for its cpu. looking at hard drive,memory and video this thing is going to be a looser big time when it comes to market share. are they trying to kill the iMac? i would say yes.
post #70 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by THT
The problem will undoubtedly be the prices.

Quote:
Originally posted by THT

Quote:
Originally posted by THT

Quote:
Originally posted by THT

1,000,004th time
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #71 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Sure, you are right... however... I don't know how much you have followed Think Secret's predictions and reports, but people here have a very valid reason to worry. Think Secret has such a good reputation as a rumor site, that when they say something, it is almost a given it will be so.

I am afraid that Apple will screw it badly this time. And it will be no next big chance for Apple's anniversary year before the end of this year. Unless they plan to release something completely different and the Think Secret report is 100% out of phase.

Yeah, Think Secret is usually spot-on. I think this is one of the first times that I'm hoping they're wrong! But I'm equally as worried that Apple will screw this one up.
post #72 of 698
One more thing... (more fuel)

Current iMac specs..

$1,799.00 \t
17-inch widescreen LCD
1.25GHz PowerPC G4
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
SuperDrive
Apple Pro Speakers
AirPort Extreme Ready
Bluetooth Option

Again crappy has hell but Jobs will say, yeah but you how have a 64 bit 1.6 G5 and it is $200 cheaper.

Mark my words.... sucktacular.

Nick

post #73 of 698
Quote:
These specs if even close will not grow marketshare for Apple.

<sarcasm>I could have sworn that Apple stated that they wanted to increase market share, so you must be mistaken.<sarcasm>
I sincerely hope that ThinkSecret got bad information.
post #74 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

aheh...not a dry eye in the house...

Lemon Bon Bon

Yeah suddenly a jump from the $599 entry level pricing to $1299???? Additional $700!?!?!? This is a load of crap! Not believing a word of it.
post #75 of 698
Needs 512MB for the base model.
Needs a Radeon 9600 at the bottom end.
Needs a Radeon 9600XT at the top end.
Needs a 160GB HD - my 80GB is way too small, and I'm deleting stuff all the time.

It's not that with a 5200 it wouldn't be able to play games etc, it matters when customers see a mac next to a pc, and the imac specs are practically half as good as the pcs. I've seen this happen, and customers just stay away for that exact reason. It needs to be competitive, doesn't matter if you get a built in LCD, it still needs to have the goods.

If these are the real specs the new iMac has "flop" written all over it.

A new form factor means it needs a serious hardware upgrade as well, and this according to TS won't be delivered.
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
post #76 of 698
Quote:
For what, pray tell?

Seriously.

Had the iMac's graphic card been enough for casual gaming, I wouldn't be whining. The 5200 is barely enough to play three year old games. 9600 XT with 128MB VRAM. Like in the PowerMac he 9600 is an upgrade that'd cost consumers 50$ (compared to the 5200), and Apple probably a lot less.
post #77 of 698
The cube returns! and not in a good way. It's the same thing all over again. High price + cool design + not up to date internals = a poor selling failure.
post #78 of 698
Here's something to add to the mix:

The Register has a story about a trademark filing in Europe that concerns a so-called tablet Mac.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08...le_tablet_mac/

Merge the Register story with the one from ThinkSecret and you end up with an iMac3 that would be truly revolutionary. If the iMac3 came with a detachable tablet-like screen, then the assumed price points would seem modest.

Perhaps I've had too much coffee this morning!
post #79 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

i believe the only person with the same old whine is you.

Quote:
1. The video specs are wrong - period. It would be disastrous to release that.
2. Digital audio out that doesn't support Dolby? Huh? Apple is indeed a licensed Dolby Manufacturer. Give me a f***ing break!
3. Vertical Superdrives? Hmm, thought that was not possible.
4. $1,300 for an EDU model? Apple has said (I believe it was Fred Anderson, at the last quarterly financial report) that the iMac was overpriced and were going to cut prices.

1. not disastrous, just not good. i don't expect them to release an imac with better graphics than their towers anyways. and the towers, the low end at least, has shitty graphics.
2. I'm pretty sure they mean processing inside and outputting as a 5.1 decoded stream? i don't know. the powermac outputs fine so I am not worried and instead excited that optical is now on the iMac...or will be
3. i guess we'll find out
4. Thinksecret is unclear as to the edu price. the emac will still be around, as will the iBook. education should not be a concern with this product.
post #80 of 698
I'm just pointing out the fact that unverified specs are posted and the barage of negativism from the same people begins. Why not wait until the real specs are revealed. I use my "lousy" 17" iMac to design artwork, make CDRs, surf the net, and download photos and other things. I've made iMovies and DVDs on my iMac. It fits its purpose for me. It's kind of funny that PC centric magazines and writers are more inamored with the iMac then so-called Apple "supporters". When the current model came out it got great reviews. Certainly the iMac is not for everyone. But you have another choice called the PowerMac.

Also, Think Secret has not always been perfect/correct in their advanced pronouncements by the way.

In the end, wait until it's time, then whine if you don't like something!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › TS reports on new imac specs