or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › TS reports on new imac specs

TS reports on new imac specs - Page 3

post #81 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by MacsRGood4U
I'm just pointing out the fact that unverified specs are posted and the barage of negativism from the same people begins. Why not wait until the real specs are revealed. I use my "lousy" 17" iMac to design artwork, make CDRs, surf the net, and download photos and other things. I've made iMovies and DVDs on my iMac. It fits its purpose for me. It's kind of funny that PC centric magazines and writers are more inamored with the iMac then so-called Apple "supporters". When the current model came out it got great reviews. Certainly the iMac is not for everyone. But you have another choice called the PowerMac.

Also, Think Secret has not always been perfect/correct in their advanced pronouncements by the way.

In the end, wait until it's time, then whine if you don't like something!

you can do all the things you said on an iMac from 2 years ago. Just because all of that is possible does not mean Apple does not have an obligation to improve performance....maybe even to a level where most people won't benefit from it.

Apple basically contradicts themselves. When they talk software they say the GPU is the future, alleviates all the CPU problems, the faster the better, can do all these cool real time effects that mere mortals will benefit from. And they when they talk hardware, they give you the bare minimum.

that all goes for the low end though. the high end imac does not compare well at all to the competition and is clearly where apple is killing us by their margin greed
post #82 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by applenut
you can do all the things you said on an iMac from 2 years ago. Just because all of that is possible does not mean Apple does not have an obligation to improve performance....maybe even to a level where most people won't benefit from it.

Apple basically contradicts themselves. When they talk software they say the GPU is the future, alleviates all the CPU problems, the faster the better, can do all these cool real time effects that mere mortals will benefit from. And they when they talk hardware, they give you the bare minimum.

Good point. Wonder if it will support Core Image? If we go by TS specs, on the high-end model does. Bah....
...we have assumed control
post #83 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamil
Check out the Think Secret story on the new Imac specs. 17 & 20 inch widescreen, confirms AIO pizza box design similar to Sony, priced from 1300 - 2200,
Geforce MX 5200 ultra graphics (any good?).

A GeForce MX 5200 on a brand new computer - oh come on now are Mac users that stupid that they would accept this. Esepcially in the context of having already told the world where they are going with software excelleration in the future.
Quote:
Still crippled RAM.

This is probally the biggest complaint that most people have had recently with respect to the hardware Apples sells. Agian this is just going to drive customers away. The majority of PC's now adays come with 512MB and often 1 gig in this price range. Again the question that pops up is are Mac users this stupid?
Quote:
No pics though.

If the top of line is $2200, considering the 20" cinema display is 1300 by itself, seems like a good price.

Why would the price of a cinema display have any bearign on the precieved value of a consumer machine. This is a wholly different class of hardware.

The value of the iMac will be determined by comparison to like priced models targetting the same market.
Quote:

Al though the edu $1300 model seems too high for schools. Why take this over an Emac? Lack of an optical drive can't be the only attraction. Might as well release a optical drive less Emac and reduce the price by $100-$200. They'll gobble it up.

The eMac certainly has its attractions, but it does seem that Apple is oblivious to those qualities. Apple also doesn't seem to understand why a machine like the eMac is so desirable for many applications.

I don't know how accurate TS is with this but it is beginning to sound like Cube Mac all over agian. The toaster died due to high price and really terrible specs, sounds like the new machine is being configured to follow in the cubes foot steps.
post #84 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by dws
Here's something to add to the mix:

The Register has a story about a trademark filing in Europe that concerns a so-called tablet Mac.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08...le_tablet_mac/

Merge the Register story with the one from ThinkSecret and you end up with an iMac3 that would be truly revolutionary. If the iMac3 came with a detachable tablet-like screen, then the assumed price points would seem modest.

Perhaps I've had too much coffee this morning!

okay, while applenut and macs4good4u duke it out, i'm going to focus on this way cool development. i mean, apple does not file patents it doesn't intend to use, and the description of this unit sounds VERY similar to the general description of what thinksecret posted.

and as i said in the sketchbook thread, i believe apple and alias have talked about this. alias is a HUGE ally in the mac camp, and i was stunned that alias even bothered to make sketchbook for os x, when it REQUIRES a tablet. what, you thought alias said "oh, shucks, let's port sketchbook to os x for the 3% of MAC users that own a cintiq. yeah, that's a good business plan." bullcrap. steve and johnny ive wanted sketchbook ready to show off at apple expo paris. period.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #85 of 698
I have not read the whole thread but I am sure someone has complained about prices.

Just remember these will be in excess demand for a while after announcement. High prices are good then. I hear the whole reason for the redesign was because the manufacturing costs of the arm just bever came down.

A new design might allow lower pices in the future as these have been out for a while. That never really happened on the iMac(2).

All in all looks like good specs. Lets just hope its not too bulky like that Vaio
post #86 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
okay, while applenut and macs4good4u duke it out, i'm going to focus on this way cool development. i mean, apple does not file patents it doesn't intend to use, and the description of this unit sounds VERY similar to the general description of what thinksecret posted.

and as i said in the sketchbook thread, i believe apple and alias have talked about this. alias is a HUGE ally in the mac camp, and i was stunned that alias even bothered to make sketchbook for os x, when it REQUIRES a tablet. what, you thought alias said "oh, shucks, let's port sketchbook to os x for the 3% of MAC users that own a cintiq. yeah, that's a good business plan." bullcrap. steve and johnny ive wanted sketchbook ready to show off at apple expo paris. period.

yea, you have fun with your 17 and 20 inch tablets
post #87 of 698
Quote:
yea, you have fun with your 17 and 20 inch tablets

hmmm... yeah, you have a point. a rude one, but a point nonetheless.

but what exactly is the difference between a 17" LAPtop and a 17" tablet? now the 20", um, yeah, that's a cafeteria tray.

post #88 of 698
Quote:
When they talk software they say the GPU is the future, alleviates all the CPU problems, the faster the better, can do all these cool real time effects that mere mortals will benefit from. And they when they talk hardware, they give you the bare minimum.

When I first read the TS article I had a response similar to above. It is like the hardware people don't understand what the software people are doing.

If the specs are at all true this machine will be as usefull in the near future as one of the old G4 based machines. That is it won't be very useful at all, except for maybe as filler at the landfill. I'm honestly hoping that TS has been given a line of crap and the described configuration simply won't exist. Otherwise Apple will be making a gigantic error with this machine.

Lets face it Apple did not do well at all with the iMac2, why would they build a machine that repeats all of the mistakes made there? If the machine described is released, I think it will be fair to describe this as an example of corporate abuse of customers. Its only a couple of weeks now so I guess we will soon know if Apple has gotten its act together with its consumer products. Lets all reserve the thought that these descriptions are not fact at all but rather disinformation. Maybe Apple has addressed the majority of consumer complaints with this new machine and this is nothing more than a short term nightmare.

Dave
post #89 of 698
Here's to hoping that this information was designed to find out the leak to TS.

Otherwise, this is just BAD NEWS all around.

A 1.6 powermac can be had cheaper from apple, refurbished of course. With a super drive it's a way better deal.
post #90 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamil
[priced from 1300 - 2200, Geforce MX 5200 ultra graphics (any good?)[/B]

If these specs are correct, I won't be upgrading from my G4 iMac! the only improvement is the G5/FSB....
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #91 of 698
Gaming is an important feature of a "consumer" computer. The iMac does the other things very well: Internet, e-mail, digital hub, and the occasional word processing/taxes. But if Apple is serious about increasing marketshare in the consumer space, gaming cannot be ignored.

Some say that iMac users should buy a PS2 and forget about games on their Mac. But that's the kind of thinking which keeps the Mac in the niche computer status. Most serious gamers and many casual gamers will play games on both their consoles and their PCs.
Sold my beige.
Sold my beige.
post #92 of 698
Quote:
I'm just pointing out the fact that unverified specs are posted and the barage of negativism from the same people begins. Why not wait until the real specs are revealed...

In the end, wait until it's time, then whine if you don't like something!

This is Future Hardware on a rumor site, or did I miss something?
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #93 of 698
Why would Apple introduce new hardware models that do not support Tiger's Core Graphics?

TS is wrong.

And their prices are TOO high. The iMac2 had 2 problems: high price and perceived mediocre performance.

I hope Apple is awake enough to solve them both.
post #94 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by tak1108
A 1.6 powermac can be had cheaper from apple, refurbished of course. With a super drive it's a way better deal.

It's kind of comical that in the market place, Apple's consumer brand competes with refurbs and older used towers. Which tends to slow sales of the new consumer brands and increases the resale value of used towers.

Now that I think about it, it's not comical, it's kind of sad.
post #95 of 698
YOu guys don't get it. For education, unless you are in digital video class, they are all using computers that are 10+ years old and are some of the wose peaces of crap you will ever use. For education, also, most will still be getting the eMac, at $750, it does everything you need and more. Though the iMac is good enough for iMovie and pretty much everything else a normal user would do. If you are looking for a computer for games get a powermac g5 or just get a freaking xbox or ps2. Look around on bestbuy, almost every computer at the $1300 price range will have the built-in intel shit. Also I know one of those will be great for my family, does everything a normal user would need.
post #96 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by brianru
YOu guys don't get it. For education, unless you are in digital video class, they are all using computers that are 10+ years old and are some of the wose peaces of crap you will ever use. For education, also, most will still be getting the eMac, at $750, it does everything you need and more. Though the iMac is good enough for iMovie and pretty much everything else a normal user would do. If you are looking for a computer for games get a powermac g5 or just get a freaking xbox or ps2. Look around on bestbuy, almost every computer at the $1300 price range will have the built-in intel shit. Also I know one of those will be great for my family, does everything a normal user would need.

Tell that to Maine.

As for the gaming nonsense, Apple is the one advertising the iMac as a gaming machine.
post #97 of 698
I think your being a bit generous in calling these people idiots. This is a computer whose major sales will come in 2005 - the configuraiton simply sucks.

Maybe it is Jobs desire to simply shut down the Mac division at Apple. He offers up such hardware and when the time comes can blame the lack of consumer interest. The reality is they will be selling less of these than the old iMac2 in four months time. So maybe it is a matter of evil intentions and not idiotcy that is the problem.

I'm rather hopeing though that TS has had the wool pulled over their eyes. That would be the best explantion.

One has to wonder if Apple has even heard of Linux and the hardware that it runs on. Apple isn't the only alternative to MS these days, they really need to pay more attention to the market.

Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
LOL did you say 4mx?lol lol did you say fx5200? lol lol iF Apple uses the worst & old video like 4mx & fx5200 they can expect to have a lot of imacs laying around. who in there right mind would buy any new machine with these dog video chips. If this holds true then its easy to see that some idiots are running and ruining Apple. 4mx was old garbage and fx5200 is garbage. a poor video sysytem with no upgrade has killed imac yet they are going to do more of the same? idiots runnning apple just dont get it do they. 64bit fx5200 will kill off sales faster then sky high prices.
post #98 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by rickag
It's kind of comical that in the market place, Apple's consumer brand competes with refurbs and older used towers. Which tends to slow sales of the new consumer brands and increases the resale value of used towers.

Now that I think about it, it's not comical, it's kind of sad.

Very true and its all about Apples poor tier structure. it almost forces old,stale technology into iMac. cripple the pisss out of iMac so it doesnt hurt powermac and apple wonders why they dont sell millions. The tier they play doesnt allow for a decent iMac. every item in the new specs are from last year or older technology. its again fancy clothes with stale hardware only the clothes arent fancy this time. amazing that Apple hasnt had a succesful consumer desk top since the color imacs. cube cool but failed,poor specs,imac lcd again cool but failed poor specs, and the coming imac will fail again poor specs. Consumers expect a little more machine when handing over 2 grand.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #99 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
As for the gaming nonsense, Apple is the one advertising the iMac as a gaming machine.

Hmm, not only there, but here also. Guess what is the desktop for casual gamers. And guess what is the desktop for intermediate gamers.
post #100 of 698
Now if it'd only compete with Mini-ITX systems then the specs aren't all that bad, aspecially if the thing (box on the back) is as thin as I suspect that it might be. I'd however chosen a ATI 9600SE (found on fanless slimline cards, dead cheap) instead of the GF5200, but anyhow. But it isn't competing just with the small formfactor designs out there, it's allso competing with all of the rest of the consumer PC's out there in the price range of 1300-2200$.

The trouble as it stands now (if this rumor is right) is that it's more of an "enthusiasts" machine in my eyes then a "consumer" one with the broad appeal in terms of TCO and preformance that such a machine would need.
post #101 of 698
You people need to shut up about the gpu. The 5200 is a consumer gpu and the imac is a consumer machince. Don't make it what it is not by adding a pro card. The 5200 will do the job as a consumer gpu.
post #102 of 698
5200 is garbage and doesnt belong in any machine that cost $2000 period.
post #103 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by brianru
Look around on bestbuy, almost every computer at the $1300 price range will have the built-in intel shit.

With an AGP slot.
post #104 of 698
Let´s hope it isn´t so.

For me, it is also the idea about showing of a brand new iMac to friends. If my iMac is up to 40% more expensive than my friends pc´s, and their hardware is 6-12 month old, you´re damn right I want my hardware to be the fastest.

And with this kind of GPU that TS is telling is, my brand spanking iMac won´t be the fastest.

With my G4 Cube, I show people iLife´04 and how the OS works. It would be cool to own a G5 iMac and show how incredible fast it is.

Just for once.....
I´ll get back to you.
I´ll get back to you.
post #105 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by quagmire
You people need to shut up about the gpu. The 5200 is a consumer gpu and the imac is a consumer machince. Don't make it what it is not by adding a pro card. The 5200 will do the job as a consumer gpu.

I'm glad you're so sure what I need in a computer. There is no way I will buy a G5 that has a lesser GPU than my almost 1 year old PowerBook G4. I'm not playing the "I got a better CPU but a suckier GPU" game.

If TS is correct, I hope Apple sees this thread and reconsiders. If these specs are what will be in next month's iMac, the iMacs just won't sell.
post #106 of 698
For the record my only real complaint is the lack of a DVD Burner in the 17" model. I can see cutting the memory down or the GPU down but please don't do the hat trick and cut the memory, GPU and Optical drive down. I mean isn't this supposed to be a digital hub computer?

Re: The 5200 FX

Hey it's not sexy but it works with Motion and Core Image so I'm not complaining too much on this one.

Again Apple just in case you might not have heard we need

Superdrive!
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #107 of 698
Quote:

im a consumer. i want a better graphics card. since i can't change it, apple better offer me one that will last. as it is, it is already dated and can't run current games well nevermind next year.

and dont tell me to go spend 2000 on a powermac and 1300 on a cinema display simply because i want a computer that will last and be somewhat modern when i purchase it.
post #108 of 698
Quote:

The 5200 never did its job as a consumer GPU, and it never will do its job as a consumer GPU. It is terrible and by all measures not a proper card for a computer costing more than $499.

My honest opinion is that the iMac should have no less than a Radeon 9800 Pro, but this is Apple, we know that it's not going to happen. A proper card would be more like a Radeon 9600 XT, or nVidia GeForce FX 5700.
post #109 of 698
Just a few things I'd like to say:

Quote:
Sources would not confirm specific pricing, but did acknowledge that MSRP will probably fall in the same range as current iMac models -- between US$1,300 and $2,200 -- but could venture slightly higher.

That's just really vague. I'm hopeful those are the prices for the entry-level, sandwich iMac and the top-of-the-line machine.

The edu model is certainly NOT Included in this price range. So, things as usual. These are the iMac G4 prices for a G5 machine. I say great. As for the superdrive, you might like to notice that the $1,300 iMac G4 didn't include a superdrive either. The entry-level iMac G5 is actually better than the current entry-level iMac G4 (larger screen).

The edu model will be priced at 1099 or 999 to have a machine priced between the eMac and the entry-level iMac and that's it.

The prices for the other 3 models seem fine. It's understandable if you look at the iMac G4 prices.
post #110 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by Zapchud
The 5200 never did its job as a consumer GPU, and it never will do its job as a consumer GPU. It is terrible and by all measures not a proper card for a computer costing more than $499.

Exactly. It's old news and doesn't belong in a modern iMac. Now why would a $999 eMac have a Superdrive but not a $1300 iMac?
post #111 of 698
Quote:
and dont tell me to go spend 2000 on a powermac and 1300 on a cinema display simply because i want a computer that will last and be somewhat modern when i purchase it.

well, the $2000 would get you a dual 1.8 G5. how much more modern do you want? plus you get the flexibility to toss the GPU card whenever you feel it's not up to speed. and finally, buy a CRT. they're friggin' dirt cheap these days.

but you are right in that apple doesn't seem to see the need for a low-cost gaming machine, instead leaving that market up to the DIY PC crowd and platformers.

edit: and you know what? i can't say i blame then. hardcore gamers go through graphics cards, new hard drive arrays and processors like toilet paper. just cruise some of the gamerz sites to see that. it's insanity to try to keep up with that demographic, when they're sneering at the mac as it is and will never change their minds.

post #112 of 698
Quote:

Then tell my why Gateway uses the 5200 All the way up to their $1800 710 systems

Or how about Dell using the 5200 on their $1k+ computers

I'm sorry but you guys are out of touch with reality. Do less complaining about Apple's specs and more study on what the PC world is shipping. $1300 don't come with ATI 9800 cards. Wake up people!

I'm beginning to change my thoughts here. The 17" iMac is more competitive than I orginally thought. Sure it's missing RAM but that can be upgraded. The Superdrive missing is a bummer but that's not a showstopper either. The graphics card is light on RAM but it is the same core chipset being sold in PCs at $1k and above.

You all have been suckered by Matsu and others of the $999 Klan. Most of us have been telling you to reign in your day dreams to no avail. The iMac G5 will sell especially if it is in a handsome shape.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #113 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
well, the $2000 would get you a dual 1.8 G5. how much more modern do you want? plus you get the flexibility to toss the GPU card whenever you feel it's not up to speed. and finally, buy a CRT. they're friggin' dirt cheap these days.

but you are right in that apple doesn't seem to see the need for a low-cost gaming machine, instead leaving that market up to the DIY PC crowd and platformers.

edit: and you know what? i can't say i blame then. hardcore gamers go through graphics cards, new hard drive arrays and processors like toilet paper. just cruise some of the gamerz sites to see that. it's insanity to try to keep up with that demographic, when they're sneering at the mac as it is and will never change their minds.

you going to give me the money?

cuz i sure as hell don't have it.
post #114 of 698
Mores speculation from everybody's favorite site MOSR:
Quote:
The latest word is in from the grapevine regarding the forthcoming iMac G5. (Cont'd

In terms of other specifications beyond the dual-channel (128-bit) DDR400 memory architecture, there's still plenty of uncertainty to go around.

However, here's a rough averaging out of what the grapevine has to say on the subject:

*1.6, 1.8, and 2.0GHz PowerPC 970 (not 970FX) processors in initial release, all available immediately upon announcement.

*2.2 and 2.5GHz in the first major update early next year, and then later, dual-core PowerPC 970MP models in mid to late 2005.

*17 and 20-inch displays, similar to the new Aluminum Cinemas with a redesigned adjustable display "neck" to match the new main enclosure and metallic display body.

A "Special Edition" 23-inch model is expected to follow next year.

*nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 and ATi Radeon 9600-class graphics via 8X AGP. 64MB of graphics memory in entry-level model, with 128MB in high-end model.

*Bigger SATA hard drives

*New optical drive design (slot loading?)

*Firewire 800

*Gigabit Ethernet, plus several front-facing ports for easy access ala the PowerMac G5.

*New enhanced internal speakers, and digital surround sound external speaker options thanks to optical digital audio link from PMG5.

The new "Aluminum Era" enclosure of the iMac G5 has yet to be reliably pinned down, and its release date is also murky, but we are zooming in on those questions and hope to bring you more details from sources over the days ahead.
Things Ain't What They Seem!
Things Ain't What They Seem!
post #115 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
I'm beginning to change my thoughts here. The 17" iMac is more competitive than I orginally thought. Sure it's missing RAM but that can be upgraded. The Superdrive missing is a bummer but that's not a showstopper either. The graphics card is light on RAM but it is the same core chipset being sold in PCs at $1k and above.

You all have been suckered by Matsu and others of the $999 Klan. Most of us have been telling you to reign in your day dreams to no avail. The iMac G5 will sell especially if it is in a handsome shape.

Good points. Realize too that Apple's iMac is supposed to be less powerful than their PowerMacs but in the GPU realm, it just looks bad. When having Safari, Fugu and Dreamweaver open on my PowerBook (GeForce4 MX) the screen draws crawl to a halt. And this is a 1-1/2 year old model! No, that card just will not due in a "new" iMac.

The $999 Klan? That is rich.

But they should be able to do it with an iMac. Just add the LCD as an option.
post #116 of 698
Quote:
Then tell my why Gateway uses the 5200 All the way up to their $1800 710 systems

I'm sorry but you guys are out of touch with reality. Do less complaining about Apple's specs and more study on what the PC world is shipping. $1300 don't come with ATI 9800 cards. Wake up people! ...

Go to the link for the Dell computer you posted. The 5200 you reference is for a 128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI Now if the rumored spec's are referring to this same card/specs then I take back some of my objections.
post #117 of 698
Quote:

Because they suck?
post #118 of 698
Quote:
you going to give me the money?

cuz i sure as hell don't have it.

well, um, .... *shuffles uncomfortably and looks for an escape route*

post #119 of 698
Quote:
Originally posted by rickag
Go to the link for the Dell computer you posted. The 5200 you reference is for a 128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI Now if the rumored spec's are referring to this same card/specs then I take back some of my objections.

Yes, people need to understand we are talking about an all-in-one graphics chip here, not a graphics card. An ATI Radeon 9600 is two to three times faster. Jeez, anything but a 5200. Anything. Otherwise I think it sounds okay. The top model likely has Airport and Bluetooth standard and should have a wireless keyboard and mouse as well.

By the way, the TS article first says there are two 17" models and one 20" model then goes on to say there are two 20" models so it is not impossible for some of the specs to be messed up as well. Let's hope they meant 5600 for the graphics and not 5200.
post #120 of 698
Quote:
Mores speculation from everybody's favorite site MOSR:

Never thought I'd be rooting for MOSR... \
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › TS reports on new imac specs