or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Find your Political Compass
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Find your Political Compass

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
Here is an interesting test that determines where on the political left-right scales you sit. The results should be quite interesting.

Take the test here: http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Please post your results back here, but don't discuss them or how the test works in to much detail. I will graph them and post it later after there are a a few responses.

Mine:
Economic: -2.88
Social: -1.28
post #2 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.49

I've never quite managed to break -9.49. \ *shrugs*
post #3 of 53
Thread Starter 
I've never quite managed to break -9.49.

Are you trying to do it, or are you answering honestly? Just curious.
post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by PosterBoy
<b>I've never quite managed to break -9.49. </b>

Are you trying to do it, or are you answering honestly? Just curious.

Well, the last magazine I read in Borders Bookstore the other day was International Socialist Review.
post #5 of 53
Seriously. This is my honest score:

Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.36

My compatriots in the quad are Ghandi, Mandela and the Dalai Lama. Oh... and ShawnJ. And probably Bunge, Harald, SPJ, and Giant.
post #6 of 53
The test is much too stationary in the spacial/time grid to be useful
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #7 of 53
Mine was......

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.41

How can it be a true political compass when all it gives you is the option to agree or disagree with left leaning comments?

Where are statements like this?

I believe it fundamentally fair that the top 20% of income earners pay 80% of all taxes. (SA, A, D, SD)

I believe that the strongest country in the world should police disagreements between less able countries in the world.

I believe all business should not be state owned and used for the common good.

I believe that being free from being offended is not a fundimental right.

Where are those questions?

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #8 of 53
(Questions by Trumptman)
I believe it fundamentally fair that the top 20% of income earners pay 80% of all taxes. (SA, A, D, SD)
SA
How about this question:
I believe it fundamentally fair that the top 20% of income earners earn 80% of all income.

I believe that the strongest country in the world should police disagreements between less able countries in the world.
SD
Whenever there's a "it depends" i need to select strongly disagree.
In this case, it depends on the projected outcome, not the intent.

I believe all business should not be state owned (no) and used for the common good (mostly).
SD/A (that's a horribly worded question, as there are two completely unrelated questions inside -- you're really not very good at this, are you?)

I believe that being free from being offended is not a fundimental right.
SA
Anything in the world you do is going to offend someone. If you offend me, I'll sure as hell tell you that you did it, but I won't take away your right to do it.

Does that answer your question, Mr. Smarty Pants?
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
Seriously. This is my honest score:

Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.36

My compatriots in the quad are Ghandi, Mandela and the Dalai Lama. Oh... and ShawnJ. And probably Bunge, Harald, SPJ, and Giant.

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.90

Howdy neighbor!
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
Reply
post #10 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

(I think I pissed it off by saying that the mother's primary job should be housemaker. Any parents' primary job should be child-rearing.)
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat
(I think I pissed it off by saying that the mother's primary job should be housemaker. Any parents' primary job should be child-rearing.)

And thats the problem with this poll. A linear four way outcome to a question will never catch the true intention of the questioned.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #12 of 53
Thread Starter 
Graph of Responses thus far

Blue dots are responses from AppleInsider
Red dots are responses from ehMac.ca
I'll update it as more responses come in.

Yes, I was a little bored when I decided to do this, but I think it's interesting.
post #13 of 53
+3, +5
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
Reply
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
Reply
post #14 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by PosterBoy
Graph of Responses thus far

Blue dots are responses from AppleInsider
Red dots are responses from ehMac.ca
I'll update it as more responses come in.

Yes, I was a little bored when I decided to do this, but I think it's interesting.

Please add names if you can
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
(Questions by Trumptman)
I believe it fundamentally fair that the top 20% of income earners pay 80% of all taxes. (SA, A, D, SD)
SA
How about this question:
I believe it fundamentally fair that the top 20% of income earners earn 80% of all income.

I believe that the strongest country in the world should police disagreements between less able countries in the world.
SD
Whenever there's a "it depends" i need to select strongly disagree.
In this case, it depends on the projected outcome, not the intent.

I believe all business should not be state owned (no) and used for the common good (mostly).
SD/A (that's a horribly worded question, as there are two completely unrelated questions inside -- you're really not very good at this, are you?)

I believe that being free from being offended is not a fundimental right.
SA
Anything in the world you do is going to offend someone. If you offend me, I'll sure as hell tell you that you did it, but I won't take away your right to do it.

Does that answer your question, Mr. Smarty Pants?

My point, and no I didn't claim to be perfect about writing questions to determine a person's political compass, really should have you agreeing and disagreeing with statements from all foun views. Instead with this survey if you disagree with a liberal statement, it labels you more conservative. To be fair it should have conservative statements that you have to disagree with in order to also be liberal. Likewise for authoritarian vs. libertarian.

There are some very liberal people on here who sometimes come across very authoritarian. This survey doesn't appear to have caught that because it only asks them to disagree with libertarian statements to move toward authoritarian.

Here's a good example. (Feel free to tweak the questions if you feel they are unclear.)

Abortion is a fundamental right. (Could indicate liberal perspective)

It is okay to use abortion for gender selection, genetic deformities, and for population control. (Could indicate authoritarian perspective even while supporting abortion rights)

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Please add names if you can

I see mine!
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
I see mine!

I see mine as well. It is the only one on the line and to the right.

Did you see this page?

Presidential candidates

Despite all the evil intentions I am assigned by some here, it appears that I would be more liberal and even more libertarian than Howard Dean!!

That means that you would have to support ME in the next election.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #19 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Please add names if you can

Can, and will, later tonight or early tomorrow.

Graph!
post #20 of 53
What's interesting to me about your graph is that 1) there's so much concentration in one quadrant, which suggests a serious problem with the questions, and 2) if anything there seems to be a correlation between libertarianism and economic left-ism. The reason I think that's interesting is that so many conservatives consider themselves libertarian-leaning, but this graph seems to suggest the opposite, that the right is authoritarian-leaning and the left is libertarian-leaning.
post #21 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
Reply
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
Reply
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
What's interesting to me about your graph is that 1) there's so much concentration in one quadrant, which suggests a serious problem with the questions, and 2) if anything there seems to be a correlation between libertarianism and economic left-ism. The reason I think that's interesting is that so many conservatives consider themselves libertarian-leaning, but this graph seems to suggest the opposite, that the right is authoritarian-leaning and the left is libertarian-leaning.

Or it could just suggest a lot of hypocrisy by those answering the questions.

"I have a political philosophy like Gandhi."

Really, you have no need for material goods, and are fasting to bring about the end of any aggression you see?

"Naw, actually I'm playing on my powerbook, driving my import, and I'm going to go catch a movie and buy some cd's with my girl later...but my heart is in the right place..."

Hahahahaha...

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Or it could just suggest a lot of hypocrisy by those answering the questions.

"I have a political philosophy like Gandhi."

Really, you have no need for material goods, and are fasting to bring about the end of any aggression you see?

"Naw, actually I'm playing on my powerbook, driving my import, and I'm going to go catch a movie and buy some cd's with my girl later...but my heart is in the right place..."

Hahahahaha...

Nick

BULLSEYE.

Its not often I say that about one of your posts T
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #24 of 53
Except no one claimed to "have a political philosophy like Gandhi." tonton merely named the other people in his quadrant-- which does suggest some similarities-- but differences as well. I'm not sure the graph accounts for those differences. \
post #25 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90

Fun fun FUN!
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnJ
Except no one claimed to "have a political philosophy like Gandhi." tonton merely named the other people in his quadrant-- which does suggest some similarities-- but differences as well. I'm not sure the graph accounts for those differences. \



Who wants to in the quadrant with Hitler?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #27 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.10
post #28 of 53
I got -4 for economic left and -5 for social libertarian.

Right next to the Dalai Lama.
post #29 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77
post #30 of 53
Anders your post reminds me of a Tampax commercial.

tonton you forgot about me!!

Yeah that site is cool. Got a Economic Left/Right: -5.75 and a Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.31

I support the death penalty and think we should kill of any serial killer for example. It's way underutilized. at the same time I think rehabilitation is way more important to focus on than punishment, as it's cheaper, and simply works better. At least for things like drug addicts. People like Rush Limbaugh and Martha Stewart, white collar criminals, I would consider jail "rehabilitation." I scored more Libertarian than last time. I actually think Republicans and Bushies are more at odds with Libertarians that Democrats over a lot of issues now. Odd.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #31 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
post #32 of 53
You're a relatively central Canadian rascal if I ever met one PB.
Chealion, the one and only =)
Reply
Chealion, the one and only =)
Reply
post #33 of 53
Thread Starter 
The results thus far possibly suggest a couple of things to me:

a) That the test is flawed. Left results seem to be skewed libertarian, whereas right results seem to be skewed authoritarian.

b) That there really is a direct correlation between being left and being libertarian, being right and authoritarian, and that being either a left-authoritarian or a right-libertarian is an outlier, an oddity.

c) That respondents have a pretty good idea where they want to end up before hand.

It's still interesting, though.
post #34 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #35 of 53
Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.62

Damn. I so wanted to beat you Shawn. Curses!

See, that's what happens when you get old. You turn into a tolerant, wishy-washy, moderate.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
post #36 of 53
I had to put aside the fact that a lot of the questions didn't make sense with the answers to choose from. So I got this score.

Economic Left/Right: 1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
My point, and no I didn't claim to be perfect about writing questions to determine a person's political compass, really should have you agreeing and disagreeing with statements from all foun views. Instead with this survey if you disagree with a liberal statement, it labels you more conservative. To be fair it should have conservative statements that you have to disagree with in order to also be liberal. Likewise for authoritarian vs. libertarian.

There are some very liberal people on here who sometimes come across very authoritarian. This survey doesn't appear to have caught that because it only asks them to disagree with libertarian statements to move toward authoritarian.

Here's a good example. (Feel free to tweak the questions if you feel they are unclear.)

Abortion is a fundamental right. (Could indicate liberal perspective)

It is okay to use abortion for gender selection, genetic deformities, and for population control. (Could indicate authoritarian perspective even while supporting abortion rights)

Nick

Get your point, Nick. Actually, to be honest, the poll did seem to lean left a little.
post #38 of 53
I got -4,-2 apx, however, Many of the questions I couldn't answer honestly in context. For instance

I strongly agree that ultimately large corporations need to be successful for the good of us all, but I strongly disagree with this from my moral standpoint. I wish there was a better way.
post #39 of 53
Thread Starter 
Graph, Updated.
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by PosterBoy
Graph, Updated.

It looks like Shawn's leading us all away from....who's the fascist up in the top right quadrant.....Why Common Man I do believe it's you!

Run away! Run away! Help us escape from the Fascists and Neo-Liberals to the beautiful Land of Communism, Oh Left Leaning Shawn!

(Now Common Man that's what you call a joke so don't get all upset and do something stupid like wake a mod or admin from their slumber, OK?)

Graphs are grouse.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Find your Political Compass