or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Our man in Iraq - just like our old-man in Iraq?

Our man in Iraq - just like our old-man in Iraq? - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
My meaning is today, true christianity teaches tolerance,love god and then each other as yourself. Jesus was a genius. Islam does not teach this philosophy in fact the opposite. kill the infidel,jihad and yadda yadda yadda. Im not a practicing christian by the way but just making a observation. Men have used religeon for countless wars and its sad.

Was the inqusition true Christianity?
meh
meh
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Just note the horrible design for that poster . . . .

Only Independents and Democrats use Macs.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald

The inquisition took place at a time when the state and the (officially recognized) Church operated almost as one two-headed monster.

There were just as many "fundamentalist" Christians executed as there were scientists and others who tried to put an end to the madness.

To Christianity's credit, those lessons were learned. Today you would be hardpressed to find a major Christian leader that wants the Church to be co-opted by the state again. (Note: This is not to say Christians shouldn't be able to be involved in political campaigns.) George Bush's "faith based initiatives" has worried many Evangelicals about what happens when the Government is paying bills for church-based humanitarian work.

Unfortunately, Islam never got the lesson and the adoption of Sharia Law is the ideal held up to the masses in mosques around the world.

They're even trying to implement it in Canada now, and our "tolerant" [read stupid] government is assisting in the "voluntary" implementation of muslim religious law.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
Only Independents and Democrats use Macs.

What a silly, inaccurate comment.

Rush Limbaugh and George W. Bush use Macs, Al Franken doesn't.

Politics aside, I've always preferred the idea that the world shapers, regardless of political affiliation, tend to be Mac users.
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
George W. Bush use Macs

Wrong, he uses a dull.

june 00:
Quote:
ZD: Do you have a computer? How do you use it and the Internet?

GWB: I guess I'm not supposed to be talking about brands, but since Michael Dell is my good friend and Dell is a Texas company, I'm the owner of a Dell computer. I use it mainly for a couple of things. One, e-mail. I stay in touch with my family via e-mail. I've got a private address that I'd say maybe 50 people have with whom I communicate on a regular basis. I'm on my e-mail nearly every day. My mother and I were e-mailing the other day as a matter of fact. My father and I e-mail each other quite frequently. My brother Jeb, who is the governor of Florida, is a prolific e-mailer, and I hear from him quite often. I use the Internet for, well, I'm a rancher and I'm on a Web site that's got Doppler radar available at a touch, so I can see whether or not it's raining on my ranch. I know that sounds kind of weird, but nevertheless when you own the land and it's dry, it's interesting to watch weather patterns and whether or not they're going to affect my ranch.

I occasionally use it for research. Obviously in the campaign, which is a much broader issue, we use the Internet and the Web site to convince people to vote for me and to distribute information and speeches in both English and Spanish. It's an interesting tool for politics, but for me personally, it's a way to communicate with loved ones and close friends.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-521678.html
post #46 of 58
Reason enough to vote him out wouldnt you say?
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
Wrong, he uses a dull.

My mistake. I mindlessly repeated something I'd seen elsewhere on the Net.
post #48 of 58
Quote:
This is so true, look at everyone of those fanatic countries....our biggest nightmare would be letting these fanatics get the bomb because under their sick beliefs they would use it. Islam has screwed those guys up pretty well. I dont think you can force democracy,they have to want it but their religeous dogma doesnt allow for other viewpoints, where true christianity accepts all and teaches tolerance Islam does not and so these guys are still killing everyone who thinks different hence the constant wars in the mid east. its hard to move forward when you spend all your time and resources killing each other. This is what makes America great. By getting along we have been able to accomplish things no other nation on this planet has.

You are such an ignorant fool, it really is funny and sad at the same time to read your posts:

The real source for the problems in the arabic world is that they were not free and independent for the last five hundred years! Since the ottomans (turks) conquered and colonialized the arabic world, the arabic world was not free from oppression. Yes, the execution of the oppression has changed over the centuries, from the ottomans to the british and french, and since the second worldwar2 to the US.

Local dictators that were installed by the US, supported and financed in order to oppress their own people, and in order to ensure steady and reliable, and cheap ressource-flow for the west certainly doesn't bode well for a society to develop itself.

It's getting better after every phase though, the ottomans were the worst of the club of empires that oppressed the arabic world, worse than the british empire and much worse than the american empire.

I guess it takes another fifty years and the arabic world will be finally free from the american empire as well.

Regarding your naive idea, that america is such a wonderful and peaceful country, you are either blind or totally uneducated on history, just a few references: Genocide on the native americans, expansion of an empire to Mexiko and the surrounding isles, slavery, financing all war-parties of worlwar1 and worldwar2, and as such prolonging devastating wars while earning lots of bucks, developing massdestruction-weapons like the atom-bombs and actually using them on civilians, not once but twice, Vietnam and the napalm-bombing, installing military-bases around the world and controlling the most important sea-routes, leading wars in arabic countries, including CIA-operations as well as the use of paramilitary-troops, much like in southamerica against democratically elected governments and politicians, including assassinations and massacres...

Get to grips, man, you have nothing to be proud about.

Nightcrawler
I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
post #49 of 58
That is the most bizarre tirade I've read. You really shouldn't be throwing around words like "ignorant fool".

So it's the fault of the Ottoman Turks, British, French and U.S that the modern-day Arabian world is screwed up?

Your worldview is seriously messed up. I'm Canadian, and while America certainly has it's faults, it's citizens have every right to be proud of their country's accomplishments in the modern world.
post #50 of 58
For Nightcrawler, an Xmen? im talking about the now not what happened 500 years ago. The mideast has very big problems and there is a common theme among those countries and its a religeon that springs up the Bin ladens, Hama's and all the others. again while they are fighting countless wars, here in America we have said ...hey we can acomplish much more working together then we can killing off each other over constant tribal warfare and religeous zealotry. Democracy isnt easy and has never come cheap but there isnt a better alternative and Democracy has to have tolerance and respect for other ideas and view points. Islam has not allowed for that. Govt should never be ran by any religeon but iam convinced that sooner or later Iraq will fall into this just as Iran.
post #51 of 58
It's all Jacob and Esau's fault.
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by faust9
Why did we have to invade to buy it? I don't have to storm into 7/11 guns-a-blazin' to buy a slurpee.

Haha best post ever.
post #53 of 58
Quote:
For Nightcrawler, an Xmen? im talking about the now not what happened 500 years ago. The mideast has very big problems and there is a common theme among those countries and its a religeon that springs up the Bin ladens, Hama's and all the others. again while they are fighting countless wars, here in America we have said ...hey we can acomplish much more working together then we can killing off each other over constant tribal warfare and religeous zealotry. Democracy isnt easy and has never come cheap but there isnt a better alternative and Democracy has to have tolerance and respect for other ideas and view points. Islam has not allowed for that. Govt should never be ran by any religeon but iam convinced that sooner or later Iraq will fall into this just as Iran.

Please, please try to write a bit more readable.

You are saying the americans would do so great, coming along with each other, while the middle-east-people don't come along with each other. That is pure bs.

The nice american governments were it that installed and financed murderous dictatorial regimes in the middle-east, the most famous dictator there was Saddam Hussein of Iraq! Yes, a CIA-coup back in the sixties was it that brought the Baath-regime to power, and a bit later CIA's friend Saddam Hussein to the top.

The USA even delivered Saddam Hussein's Iraq with WMD's in the form of chemical weapons, that he should use against Iran. Ah, the Iran-Iraq-war, a perfect example for the middle-east-people that can't get along, hmm? Guess again, it was the USA that instructed Saddam Hussein to invade Iran!! That nice USA, we should all praise and love it.

You are also making reference to Hamas as another example for the "not getting along-arabs". But you do realize that Hamas is a reaction to a murderous, expansive, land-stealing Israel, that was created with the help of the USA and is up until today supported with 3 billion dollars a year financially, not to forget the military support by the USA and the diplomatic support in the security-council..., I guess not.

Leaves Osama Bin Ladin as the example for the violent arabs. But you sure remember that the CIA/USA recruited Osama Bin Ladin and teached him guerillia-warfare and terrorism in order to fight the soviets in Afghanistan.

So what do we have, mostly US installed and US-supported dictatorships in the arabic world, an Israel, that was created with the help of the USA and which is supported by the USA since then, radical mujahideens, that were indoctrinated, recruited and trained by the USA to defeat the Soviet-Union.

I even don't have to bring up the preceding ottoman-oppression or the european colonialism to explain the current state of the arabic world, I can only stick to the US-control over the arabic world, if that is what you wish, my friend.

What then is the role of the religion in that scenario? Most of what happens and happened in the arabic world in the last fifty years stems from secular developments and governments. The different resistance groups use religion as main-motivator to resist the oppressive secular dictatorial regimes as religion is a great uniter and offers hope that goes beyond the individual's fate.

Nightcrawler
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
So it's the fault of the Ottoman Turks, British, French and U.S that the modern-day Arabian world is screwed up?

Ultimately it's the fault of the arabs that they have let it happen, that the ottomans, the brits and the french, and nowadays the US screw them up.

Nightcrawler
post #55 of 58
You make some valid points, we have a history of supporting democracies when it suites us and supporting ruthless scum like Saddam win it suites us. The enemy of your enemy is your friend kind of crap. CIA was involved with Bin Laden and was involved with Saddam. I still feel our biggest problem is our own Govt because as George has shown give these power mongers a chance to get rid of our rights and freedoms and they will. look at the patriot act, look at all the people held with excuse me why i puke no rights? wtf is this America or communist Russia? Power corrupts as this administration has shown with its false war,lies and spin. So called Homeland security and Mexico is wide open.
Back to the subject, will a democracy work in a country with religeous fanatics? I dont see it. Islam is not a tolerant religeon thats why christians have a hard time in any of those countries.If you cant turn the cheek and love your neighbor as yourself how are you going to allow for different ideas,ways of life and most important a free democracy? Islam breeds fanatics and the proof is in the news today in most of those countries, Sudan,Iraq,Iran.............. they love killing innocents under the guise of their religeon. everyone of those countries have a common thing. their religeon.
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Sudan,Iraq,Iran.............. they love killing innocents under the guise of their religeon. everyone of those countries have a common thing. their religeon.

How about Rwanda? Was that religion to?
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by Harald

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally posted by New
How about Rwanda? Was that religion to?

Or East timor (oh, wait that was, wasn't it?).

Carry on.

(But don't forget East Timor, or the Balkans, or the Cossak slaughtering of the Jews, or of the Germans, we cannot forget the Germans, or of the Americans, and the Spanish, and the French, and the British. The Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese... Cambodian, Laotian... In fact we are all covered in the blood of the innocents)... Except perhaps the Swiss (but that is a little questionable)...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Our man in Iraq - just like our old-man in Iraq?