or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Olympic Football Quarter Finals: Iraq 1, GWB 0

Olympic Football Quarter Finals: Iraq 1, GWB 0

post #1 of 16
I don't like George Bush and I don't want him to win the next election, so I'm starting a thread that makes him look bad.

The Bush campaign has used the Iraqi football ('soccer') team in an advertisment - the Olympics are on and Iraq's through to the Quarter Finals. But the team don't want to help the guy get re-elected. Quelle surprise. And they're pretty eloquent about it, too.

Midfield dynamo Ahmed Manajid, him say:
Quote:
"How will he meet his god having slaughtered so many men and women?" Manajid told me. "He has committed so many crimes."

Well, quite. And the manager Adnan Hamad, him seh:
Quote:
"My problems are not with the American people. They are with what America has done in Iraq: destroy everything. The American army has killed so many people in Iraq. What is freedom when I go to the [national] stadium and there are shootings on the road?"

Midfield general Saleh Sabeh (no relation) says, 'calmly and directly':
Quote:
"Iraq as a team does not want Mr. Bush to use us for the presidential campaign. He can find another way to advertise himself."

So. There it is.
post #2 of 16
Oh, OK, keep your hair on. This contravenes Member Guidelines (I haven't tacked a 'discussion' on the end of it ('KERRY IS FAGGIT AND STOLE HIS PURPLE HEARTS FROM PREGNANT THALIDOMIDE VICTIM WHILST PISSING ON THE STARS AND THE BARS: how can we trust a paedophile to be Commander in Chief?' for example.)

So, um, things are still very bad in Iraq, and getting worse, and this advert is a shameless attempt to extract political capital, dishonestly, from a very bad situation.

And seriously, the Iraqi team are entitled to voice their objections, no?

Discuss.
post #3 of 16
Here's a topic for discussion which should result in at least a one word two letter answer:

It's customary to allow US athletic champions to visit the White House for a photo op. In light of this administrations' deep ties with the Iraqi people, do you think that if the Iraqis win the soccer gold or any other gold for that matter that they will be invited to the White House?
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah
I don't like George Bush and I don't want him to win the next election, so I'm starting a thread that makes him look bad.

The Bush campaign has used the Iraqi football ('soccer') team in an advertisment - the Olympics are on and Iraq's through to the Quarter Finals. But the team don't want to help the guy get re-elected. Quelle surprise. And they're pretty eloquent about it, too.

Midfield dynamo Ahmed Manajid, him say: Well, quite. And the manager Adnan Hamad, him seh:
Midfield general Saleh Sabeh (no relation) says, 'calmly and directly':

So. There it is.

Golly . . . . I wonder what news service they are watching to make them think that the US killed so many people?!?!

Oh yeah! . . . they are FROM Iraq . . . I guess they have seen it first hand . . .

Pretty intense if you think about it: they used to get thier feet pounded if they lost, and yet, they still harbor deep resentments to Bush . . . . I guess they think that there were some kind of injustices committed . . . I wonder if it has to do with anything that they saw or experienced?!?!?
[/fascetiousness]
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
Here's a topic for discussion which should result in at least a one word two letter answer:

It's customary to allow US athletic champions to visit the White House for a photo op. In light of this administrations' deep ties with the Iraqi people, do you think that if the Iraqis win the soccer gold or any other gold for that matter that they will be invited to the White House?

I love crosswords. One word, two letters...

Ooh ooh I got it! It's 'NO'.
post #6 of 16
Is this the same Iraqi Olympic team who were tortured by Qusay?
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Is this the same Iraqi Olympic team who were tortured by Qusay?

Yes . . . if they lost they would sometimes get the soles of their feet beaten while strung-up . . . at least that is what we have been told

So, that means that they are pretty damn pissed about what they have seen and experienced at home . . . because they surely don't miss Qusay's tough lovin.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #8 of 16
Some quotes from an article in Sports Illustrated (that lefty rag!) and also mentioned in Salon:

Quote:
" Sadir, Wednesday's goal-scorer, used to be the star player for the professional soccer team in Najaf. In the city in which 20,000 fans used to fill the stadium and chant Sadir's name, U.S. and Iraqi forces have battled loyalists to rebel cleric Moktada al-Sadr for the past two weeks. Najaf lies in ruins. 'I want the violence and the war to go away from the city,' says Sadir, 21. 'We don't wish for the presence of Americans in our country. We want them to go away.'"

"Manajid, 22, who nearly scored his own goal with a driven header on Wednesday, hails from the city of Fallujah. He says coalition forces killed Manajid's cousin, Omar Jabbar al-Aziz, who was fighting as an insurgent, and several of his friends. In fact, Manajid says, if he were not playing soccer he would 'for sure' be fighting as part of the resistance."

"'I want to defend my home. If a stranger invades America and the people resist, does that mean they are terrorists?' Manajid says. 'Everyone [in Fallujah] has been labeled a terrorist. These are all lies. Fallujah people are some of the best people in Iraq.'"

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #9 of 16
Herein lies the truth of the matter. The insurgents in Iraq are mostly people like you and me. IF someone invaded my country without asking for my nations blessing, Id sure as hell be part of the resistance too. That doesn't make me a terrorist either. Rightly or wrongly, the iraqi insurgents are only doing what anyone of any country would do if they were invaded.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by powermacG6
Herein lies the truth of the matter. The insurgents in Iraq are mostly people like you and me. IF someone invaded my country without asking for my nations blessing, Id sure as hell be part of the resistance too. That doesn't make me a terrorist either. Rightly or wrongly, the iraqi insurgents are only doing what anyone of any country would do if they were invaded.

I understand what you're saying, but what I don't get is how that course of action is helping their cause.

Nobody - including George W. Bush - wants over 100,000 U.S. soldiers policing Iraq right now.

Bush would probably be happy to tell the electorate that the situation was stable and half the troops were headed home tomorrow.

Wouldn't the logical course of action be to help stabilize the situation asap, so as to facilitate an American withdrawal? Insurgency doesn't seem to be a tactic that would get the Americans out sooner - it is, however, a tactic someone would use if they are trying to become a political player in a time of uncertainty.

America's invaded all sorts of places and installed friendlier governments - Grenada, Panama etc. The troops have then been brought home.

I just can't see how insurgency could remove the American presence from Iraq any faster than stability would.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #11 of 16
How would you feel if China invaded your country to install a government, even if your government [picking on no side in particular] was corrupt and brutal and the Chinese claimed you were a immediate threat to their national security?

Would you accept a Chinese government, if it meant the Chinese troops went home quicker?

Would you want a Chinese government even if your president was as vile as Saddam?

Would you accept a Chinese government if they took away all your natural resources for the next 20 years to pay for your liberation?

I don't condone or symphathize with the actions of the insurgents. Its easy to make rational decisions sitting here in comfort thousands of miles away with a clear head. Put yourself in their position, what would you do?
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
.....I just can't see how insurgency could remove the American presence from Iraq any faster than stability would.

America thinks too much in terms of itself. Why do you assume it's about that ? The only reason there wasn't an insurgency under Saddam was because he was killing everyone who was likely to do it so they went underground and waited.

Many groups have been jockeying for power in Iraq for centuries - the Ba'athists were themselves only just one such group. The US took the lid off and removed the restraints so they're at it again. Quelle surprise.

It's a misunderstanding (imo) to think the insurgency is purely against the US. No group who wants power in Iraq really believes the US can maintain a foothold there over the long term - and these groups do think in the long term, centuries even. The US has manifestly failed to approach even the remotest inkling of an understanding of these people's mindset and that's why they've made so many mistakes.

Sure, the insurgents will shoot at the US troops and want to see them gone but that doesn't mean that they see the US as the obstacle to their aspirations. If the US pulled out tomorrow then the situation would still continue because it is an internal power struggle.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
America's invaded all sorts of places and installed friendlier governments - Grenada, Panama etc. The troops have then been brought home.

Got it! They Iraqis should just let the Americans install a government suitable to American interests and chill out. Be better for everyone.

By the way, this is called 'colonialism.' Glad to be of assistance.
meh
meh
post #14 of 16
Despite one's political views on the Iraq/GWB deal, at least President Bush honors the wishes of the Iraqi soccer team. I have seen the commercial pre/post comments and the Bush admin has re-edited the ad to remove any footage of Iraqis or Afghanis, and has instead just placed each country's flag on the bottom of the screen.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally posted by DanMacMan
Despite one's political views on the Iraq/GWB deal, at least President Bush honors the wishes of the Iraqi soccer team. I have seen the commercial pre/post comments and the Bush admin has re-edited the ad to remove any footage of Iraqis or Afghanis, and has instead just placed each country's flag on the bottom of the screen.

From what I read . . . but I couldn't find it after reading it, he didn't change the commercial.

anyway, this is interesting from Salon.com Warroom page:
Quote:
Bush "Victory" ad infringes on reality, if not law

A sunny new Bush-Cheney campaign ad touting the participation of two new free and democratic countries at the Olympic games in Athens -- Iraq and Afghanistan -- is more than just ironic, given the fighting that is raging in Najaf and the bombs that are going off at voter registration centers in Afghanistan. The ad also skirts the bounds of legality.

The United States Olympic Committee, which has exclusive rights to the words "Olympic" and "Olympiad," as well as Olympic symbols such as the five interlocking rings, has asked the Bush campaign for a copy of the ad so the U.S.O.C. can evaluate whether its copyright has been infringed. A U.S.O.C. spokesman, Darryl Seibel, told Salon by phone from Athens Friday that the committee had not made a judgment yet because the Bush campaign has not yet given it a copy of the ad. Asked if he'd ever heard of the World Wide Web, where the ad can be accessed in seconds off the Bush-Cheney campaign site, Seibel demurred, saying that official channels had to be followed.

Contacted for a response, Bush-Cheney spokesman Scott Stanzel -- while professing little knowledge of the matter -- suggested that perhaps it is not illegal to use "Olympics" in the plural. Sure enough: the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act of 1999, which grants the U.S.O.C. its rights, says the committee has exclusive use of the words "Olympic and "Olympiad," but not "Olympics" in the plural.

Technically legal or not, the ad certainly violates the spirit of the law, which is to prevent the Olympic brand from being diluted and sullied by political or commercial uses. Even worse, perhaps, is the ad's gossamer treatment of the "freedom" that it says Bush has brought to Iraq and Afghanistan, countries on the brink of failure and chaos.

"Freedom is spreading throughout the world like a sunrise,"
the narrator says as an American-looking female swimmer dives into a pool. An underwater camera shows her gliding, missile-like, through the water, sunlight shimmering through the water.

The narrator continues: "And this Olympics, there will be two more free nations (the flags of Iraq and Afghanistan flash on the screen) and two fewer terrorist regimes. With strength, resolve and courage, democracy will triumph over terror (shot of the American-looking swimmer emerging from the pool, her fist clenched in victory). And hope will defeat hatred."

Okay, for starters: Iraq and Afghanistan barely have any women at all competing in Athens, much less swimmers. With armed Taliban still roaming Afghanistan, and Islamic fundamentalism on the rise in Iraq, it's a safe bet that any Iraqi or Afghan woman who dared to appear in public in the kind of bathing suit featured in the Bush ad would find herself either raped or flogged. Of the two Afghan women competing in Athens, one is a runner who has to train in long sweat pants and a head scarf. Meanwhile, Iraqi Olympian Alaa Jassim, a runner from Baghdad, frequently cannot train at all because of "street fights and bombings," according to her official Olympic biography.

The title of the Bush ad is "Victory."

Can you believe this stuff?! ""Freedom is spreading throughout the world like a sunrise,"" Gimme a break. . . . 'gossamer' is a perfect word for it
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #16 of 16
Bush and everything about him is disgraceful. Sad thing is way too many people accept his distortortion as truth.

I just saw the TV spot for the first time. How can they brag when this is going on in Iraq as I type?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Olympic Football Quarter Finals: Iraq 1, GWB 0