or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The President is No Whiz

The President is No Whiz

post #1 of 39
You just gotta love Campaign Desk for these little gems. Now only if I could get some seed money from a Heinz family member, maybe a little help from a massachussettes lieutenant governor and some cover by the DNC, I could get this scandalous book out before the election:

PHILADELPHA CHEESESTAKE LOVERS FOR TRUTH!

It all started yesterday, when CNN, Fox and The New York Times were content to transcribe and transmit President Bush's comment about preferring his Philadelphia cheesesteaks "Whiz with," thereby handing the Bush camp what it was after -- a revisitation in the national press of a year-old John Kerry "faux pas" (ordering his Philly cheesesteak with Swiss).

In contrast to the bigfoots of the national press, Kathleen E. Carey of The [Delaware County, Pa.] Daily Times went beyond mere stenography and did a little leg work on the issue, as well she should. For, while it's certainly not in the top 100 critical campaign issues this election year, it's safe to say that the proper construction of a Philadelphia cheesesteak matters more to Daily Times readers than it does to a national audience.

And the intrepid Carey came up with her own expose. She reported that Bush actually "prefers his steak absent of the usual Cheez Whiz and provolone, accompanied only by cheese of the American variety," information that she obtained from her own Deep Throat, one Caeser Barnabei, the owner of the well-known cheesesteak shop, Jim's Place. Barnabei, who has fed the Bush camp on previous swings through Pennsylvania and provided "70 to 80 hoagies" for the Bush campaign yesterday, confided to Carey that "the Jim's Special is altered to whet the 'W' appetite."

In Philadelphia, the classic cheesesteak recipe is hot beef strips and fried onions dripping with grease, slathered with Cheez Whiz straight from the squeeze bottle, all atop white bread. Solemnly, Carey reported her devastating conclusion: "The commander-in-chief fooled thousands Tuesday to believe he eats like the epicureans here."

Now there's a reporter who isn't afraid to go beyond the usual he said/she said reporting and stake out a position.

She'll never last.

Now back to a discussion of the issues...ooops, sorry...I forgot no one's interested in silly things like issues...

We love to get ourselves mired in these little mini-scandals of such a ridiculous variety that I thought, "well, if you can't beat 'em...join 'em!"

"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #2 of 39
Bah!

Cheeze Whiz is crap! Provolone is the only way to go.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #3 of 39
I look forward to an sdw thread attacking bush for this.
post #4 of 39
He knows BBQ for sure.
"A more sensitive and caring Common man for 2005"
post #5 of 39
He's a lying pig, that's for sure.
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by Common Man
He knows BBQ for sure.

I didn't think BBQ was that big of a deal in Connecticut.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #7 of 39
Quote:
He knows BBQ for sure.

Where was W raised?
post #8 of 39
Cheesegate! Why the cover-up?! This deliberate lie speaks volumes about Bush's character! And the volume it speaks? Unfit to be president! And, of course, he hates America.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Where was W raised?

At Phillips Andover. Just like all the regular guys.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
He knows BBQ for sure.

Guess what Commoner?

The Bush IMAGE is not a reality!!

He is a Silver-spoon rich kid who went to the most exclusive private school for well-to-do, priveleged (Usually East Coast money) kids IN THE WORLD!!

He has NEVER "Cleared Brush" on his ranch without cameras around: NEVER!

He only owns a ranch because stupid people (and young children of stupid people) are swayed by pre-packaged images: "Cowboy, Good Old-Boy, Down-Home, Common-man": those are false images that rich, Connecticut, Andover, Yale, Bush wears like a Halloween mask . . . .

and you can guess where the mask stops . . . because you certainly can't know where!

I guess you have never yet met a duplicitous person (beyond the merely self-deluded) in your life.
Perhasp you just can't imagine how much of a lie the package is?
or how someone could concieve of, or orchestrate such an endevor?
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Guess what Commoner?

The Bush IMAGE is not a reality!!

He is a Silver-spoon rich kid who went to the most exclusive private school for well-to-do, priveleged (Usually East Coast money) kids IN THE WORLD!!

He has NEVER "Cleared Brush" on his ranch without cameras around: NEVER!

He only owns a ranch because stupid people (and young children of stupid people) are swayed by pre-packaged images: "Cowboy, Good Old-Boy, Down-Home, Common-man": those are false images that rich, Connecticut, Andover, Yale, Bush wears like a Halloween mask . . . .

and you can guess where the mask stops . . . because you certainly can't know where!

I guess you have never yet met a duplicitous person (beyond the merely self-deluded) in your life.
Perhasp you just can't imagine how much of a lie the package is?
or how someone could concieve of, or orchestrate such an endevor?

Actually, that whole "ranch" is essentially a set that was designed to distance him from the family retreat in Maine. As I understand it, construction on it was finished the day of the election. Additionally, the town of Crawford itself is something of a set, I hear.
post #12 of 39
Hey! Not all Connecticut people are rich! We may be brats, but we're not rich.
post #13 of 39
The left is so mean spirited and its mean spirit turns the American people off. To win the election you need the vote of The Common Man. One of the reasons Bush will win is the snide turnoff projected from the mean spirited left.

Moe
post #14 of 39
Quote:
The left is so mean spirited and its mean spirit turns the American people off. To win the election you need the vote of The Common Man. One of the reasons Bush will win is the snide turnoff projected from the mean spirited left.

Moe

I don't know. Even unemployed and underemployed people vote. That can't be good for Bush.
post #15 of 39
Quote:

Moe

I really think your 'mean spirited' meter must be overwhelmed by the hot air coming from the admin...

The right is mean spirited. They do not believe that the Common Man can make ethical and moral decisions for themselves. They doubt the ability for a government or public group (composed of the Common Man) can do any good. They are cynical critics of the Common Man's spirit.
post #16 of 39
Quote:
The left is so mean spirited and its mean spirit turns the American people off. To win the election you need the vote of The Common Man.

I thought "The" Common Man was to young to vote. arn't you?
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #17 of 39
Fess up, Common Man, you've got a copy of the "Fireside Book of Ponderous Republican Boilerplate" that you're cribbing from.

And what did that little skit they showed you in school teach? Winners don't plagiarize while doing drugs!
post #18 of 39
I was speaking of The Common Man at large New, not myself.

M
post #19 of 39
Quote:
I was speaking of The Common Man at large New, not myself.

M

And what gives you that privilege?
post #20 of 39
Quote:

Moe

Yes and maybe it's time we were mean spirited! After the mean spirits we've seen from the right in the last oh 5 or 6 years it's about time we fight back with their own tactics!

One of the reasons Bush will lose is his mean spiritness with the Swift boat issue. Get real CM. Bush is going down!

OUT THE DOOR IN 2004!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #21 of 39
Then you better find someone better than Kerry, cuz he aint gona get elected. Time well futher reveal his lack of honesty and integrity.

Bush 55%
Kerry 45%
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Then you better find someone better than Kerry, cuz he aint gona get elected. Time well futher reveal his lack of honesty and integrity.

Bush 55%
Kerry 45%

Are you schizophrenic?
post #23 of 39
"Are you schizophrenic?"

Just the kind of mean spirit I am talking about. It doesnt offend me because I have skin thicker than a steer wresler, but it is revealing about you. Have I every made a personal attack on anyone here?
post #24 of 39
Quote:
"Are you schizophrenic?"

Just the kind of mean spirit I am talking about. It doesnt offend me because I have skin thicker than a steer wresler, but it is revealing about you. Have I every made a personal attack on anyone here?

How is that mean?

Are you or are you not schizophrenic?

Its an honest question. The stats you cite are clearly from some sort of delusion, your belief you represent the Common Man is also a delusion, you seem antsy, worried, some might say manic. These are clear signs of schizophrenia.
post #25 of 39
Well,

I can't believe we're about to start a flame war here on this topic, but, oh well.

Stupid Question: How exactly did the reporter get this info? Does the shop owner really know/remember which steak Bush ate?

Secondly, as someone who works right near Philly, putting American cheese on a cheesesteak is just fine. In fact, most people I know like it that way. I've seen provolone and real cheddar used too. Swiss cheese is a no-no.

If you recall giant, my issues in my Kerry Cheesesteak thread (well, "issues" is a bit strong) were

1. His dainty nibble
2. Swiss Cheese
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #26 of 39
Swiss cheese is not a no-no. You live well out in the burbs, SDW.

Take this from someone who lives in the city.
post #27 of 39
There will be no flame war. I'm well above that.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Swiss cheese is not a no-no. You live well out in the burbs, SDW.

Take this from someone who lives in the city.

Ummm....wrong.
post #29 of 39
I am worried about delusional people. Since Reagan took the psychiatric reform initiative to close down most of the nations' asylums, there has been a growing tendency to use drugs when most clear evidence supports personal one on one treatment. Like almost all personal problems, the first step is admitting there is a problem, and well I am always trying to help the common man through his problems where the conservatives would just send them out on the street to beg for charity.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by SDW2001
Ummm....wrong.

Which part: Coatsville is located 45 miles from philadelphia.

I live in the city.

I eat at least one cheesesteak a week.

I have seen no official rules as for what cheese is acceptable and unless you show otherwise, my experience with the various cheesesteak places in philly, you can ask for whatever cheese you want.
post #31 of 39
Quote:

Moe

Hey Common Man: actually read my post please . . .

Saying that 'Liberals are mean-spirited' is similar to the notion that Bush is a real 'rancher' . . . it is a myth . . . and only one perpetuated by design and by a particular perspective.

If you want to understand the basic attitude that feeds the real Democratic Spirit read Garrison Keiller's book "Downhome Democrat", sure he is in showbusiness but what he does comes from the tradition of folk music as comes from the plains of the midwest . . . he also is not above respecting many facets of Conservatism
a good interview with him PRAIRIE FIRE
Just take the time to click through a very short FLASH advert and you can read the interview
Common Man . . I dare you to read it . . . What you think of as 'mean spiritedness' is a right-wing image fostered by the propaganda wing of the Right and perpetuated by people who don't know any better.

I'll grant that many 'Liberals' do end up getting bitter and tend to get very upset when encountering the ubiquitous Right-wing ideology . . . why?

Because to many of us it is so obviously the product of a very very powerful and concerted PR Campaign put into play by a relatively small group of ultra-rich families which started in the 1960s and took off in the 1970s and 80s . . . and we have watched their power consolidate behind the scenes, and largely through the strategy of DEMONIZING the idea of a 'Liberal, and doing so through LIES about what it means to be a 'Liberal as well as through self-mythologizing that distorts many facts . . . such as, the notion that Reagon single-handedly won the war on Communism

So, confronting this ubiquitous slander day after day, being told that the "left" runs the "media" . . . being told so by nearly every "media" outlet (contradiction? -naw can't be) being told that the ideals that gave everybody the vote, gave us our civil rights, that gave us a strong infrastructure, that has given us strong Public Institutions: Libraries, Postal Service and etc, that gave us decent working conditions, safety standards and decent pay standards, being told that those ideals are 'destroying' our culture makes many of us who know better a little bitter sometimes.

I actually think that it is the Right that hides a deep seated malice beneath their ideology: after all they believe you either swim or sink, at all costs, no matter what your situation is . . .
it is they who seem to disregard the 'forgiveness'' aspect of Christianity, and the 'Humility' aspect, and the 'love thy neighbor' aspect but maintain the notion of a vengeant G-d that loves to hate gays and Muslims.
It seems to me that the primary reason the Conservative agenda has taken hold is because it appeals to one of humanities' basest aspects: namely, 'greed':
"more for me, why should I participate in the process of our civilization, a process which I use? I want it all for me now"

Also, why is it that the Right has claimed the notion of toughness and militarism? is it because a vital part of the ideology of the Right and Conservatism is a kind of social-darwinism that basically says:
" I will rule; I will dominate you, or you will dominate me, because that is the state of nature -we are beasts and that is how we work by tearing each other apart"
-This is an implicit difference between the Right and the Liberals: Liberals beleive in the pssibility of working together and still also understand competitiveness (we are not anti-capitalist as many would have you believe) . . . . The Right thinks only Competitiveness is the social norm
One of those attitudes is more 'mean spirited' - after all, one cannot be 'mean' and still work well together, and, in complete competition (without a notion of 'fair=play' -and that IMO is where NeoCon differs from Old School Conservatism) means you must be 'mean' . . . you must have a 'mean spirit' in order to prevail.

I think that the Utopian notions of a complete collectivism have been long ago abandoned by the left, and for good reason!!: those ideas lead to Tyrrany and did so intrinsically.
But, the Right still characterizes anything to their left as being a slippery slope to Communism . . . I think that is wrong and boils down, in practice, to a mean-spirited perspective on what the Liberal attitude is: I think 'populism' and 'concern for equity' could be the bumper-sticker slogan for Liberalism while Conservatism might be: 'Corporate Rule: they know what's good for you'

BTW, since when does a camel pass through the eye of a needle?
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #32 of 39
Quote:

Bush 55%
Kerry 45%

Recent data :

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Pres...cking_Poll.htm

http://www.pollingreport.com/wh04gen.htm

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/bush_vs_kerry.html
post #33 of 39

Hey jimmac, those are some cool links. Thanks. Where do you think the averages will be after the Republican National Convention?

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #34 of 39
I will check out those refs pfflam BTW I always read your posts as they are informative and well though out.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Which part: Coatsville is located 45 miles from philadelphia.

I live in the city.

I eat at least one cheesesteak a week.

I have seen no official rules as for what cheese is acceptable and unless you show otherwise, my experience with the various cheesesteak places in philly, you can ask for whatever cheese you want.

I work in Aston. I used to live in Media. I'm just saying Swiss is "not generally accepted". I'm sure most places have it.
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
Hey Common Man: actually read my post please . . .

Saying that 'Liberals are mean-spirited' is similar to the notion that Bush is a real 'rancher' . . . it is a myth . . . and only one perpetuated by design and by a particular perspective.

If you want to understand the basic attitude that feeds the real Democratic Spirit read Garrison Keiller's book "Downhome Democrat", sure he is in showbusiness but what he does comes from the tradition of folk music as comes from the plains of the midwest . . . he also is not above respecting many facets of Conservatism
a good interview with him PRAIRIE FIRE
Just take the time to click through a very short FLASH advert and you can read the interview
Common Man . . I dare you to read it . . . What you think of as 'mean spiritedness' is a right-wing image fostered by the propaganda wing of the Right and perpetuated by people who don't know any better.

I'll grant that many 'Liberals' do end up getting bitter and tend to get very upset when encountering the ubiquitous Right-wing ideology . . . why?

Because to many of us it is so obviously the product of a very very powerful and concerted PR Campaign put into play by a relatively small group of ultra-rich families which started in the 1960s and took off in the 1970s and 80s . . . and we have watched their power consolidate behind the scenes, and largely through the strategy of DEMONIZING the idea of a 'Liberal, and doing so through LIES about what it means to be a 'Liberal as well as through self-mythologizing that distorts many facts . . . such as, the notion that Reagon single-handedly won the war on Communism

So, confronting this ubiquitous slander day after day, being told that the "left" runs the "media" . . . being told so by nearly every "media" outlet (contradiction? -naw can't be) being told that the ideals that gave everybody the vote, gave us our civil rights, that gave us a strong infrastructure, that has given us strong Public Institutions: Libraries, Postal Service and etc, that gave us decent working conditions, safety standards and decent pay standards, being told that those ideals are 'destroying' our culture makes many of us who know better a little bitter sometimes.

I actually think that it is the Right that hides a deep seated malice beneath their ideology: after all they believe you either swim or sink, at all costs, no matter what your situation is . . .
it is they who seem to disregard the 'forgiveness'' aspect of Christianity, and the 'Humility' aspect, and the 'love thy neighbor' aspect but maintain the notion of a vengeant G-d that loves to hate gays and Muslims.
It seems to me that the primary reason the Conservative agenda has taken hold is because it appeals to one of humanities' basest aspects: namely, 'greed':
"more for me, why should I participate in the process of our civilization, a process which I use? I want it all for me now"

Also, why is it that the Right has claimed the notion of toughness and militarism? is it because a vital part of the ideology of the Right and Conservatism is a kind of social-darwinism that basically says:
" I will rule; I will dominate you, or you will dominate me, because that is the state of nature -we are beasts and that is how we work by tearing each other apart"
-This is an implicit difference between the Right and the Liberals: Liberals beleive in the pssibility of working together and still also understand competitiveness (we are not anti-capitalist as many would have you believe) . . . . The Right thinks only Competitiveness is the social norm
One of those attitudes is more 'mean spirited' - after all, one cannot be 'mean' and still work well together, and, in complete competition (without a notion of 'fair=play' -and that IMO is where NeoCon differs from Old School Conservatism) means you must be 'mean' . . . you must have a 'mean spirit' in order to prevail.

I think that the Utopian notions of a complete collectivism have been long ago abandoned by the left, and for good reason!!: those ideas lead to Tyrrany and did so intrinsically.
But, the Right still characterizes anything to their left as being a slippery slope to Communism . . . I think that is wrong and boils down, in practice, to a mean-spirited perspective on what the Liberal attitude is: I think 'populism' and 'concern for equity' could be the bumper-sticker slogan for Liberalism while Conservatism might be: 'Corporate Rule: they know what's good for you'

BTW, since when does a camel pass through the eye of a needle?

You're amazing.
post #37 of 39
Thanks

. . . a complement I assume

. . . well, a complement taken either way
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #38 of 39
Why is Swiss cheese a no no?

Why oh why do we live in a country where we openly discriminate against people based on what f*cking CHEESE we prefer.

Christ Almighty this is the stupidest bullshit!
post #39 of 39
I hate to sound like I'm from the 50s, but that is the mentality that is rising once again, out of the swamp: Conformity is the 'Good': proper hair, proper shopping habits, proper sexual relations, proper religious affiliations and most importantly, the thing that any deviance from the above list would imply, proper 'Patriotism'!

You are either with us (and just like us) or you are against us . . . . and a fag too!!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The President is No Whiz