or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What will be the new specs for the next PM line?

What will be the new specs for the next PM line? - Page 8

post #281 of 282
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
That's my fear. That it wasn't just the G4 it's the PPC that has become a nightmare. The graphics stuff isn't helping matters much either.

Yes perhaps someone call tell nvidia to actually start shipping 6800 chips in quantity. If today's PPC chips are nightmares then I can't even imagine what a dream would be. Well actually I guess I could. If IBM gets the dual core stuff out without a hitch and delivers the POWER5 derivative on 65nm fab then I'm a happy camper. Of course we're talking over a stretch of 24 months here.

I don't really care about megahertz as much as just smoothing out the internals of the 9xx processor. Massage the altivec, tweak the Powertune more and get to fabbing them in bunches and the Powermac is right in the thick of things. The graphics cards will come soon enough and Apple is putting a lot of work into OpenGL with OSX updates.

I'm still wondering when the supply of 2.5Ghz chips will improve. I'm hoping by Nov the wait list is down to under a week til ship. That way it might not be impossible for Apple to tweak the high end to 2.7 or 2.8Ghz and bump the lower and midrange units to 2.2 and 2.5Ghz.

I think PCI Express is there on the next lineup and perhaps updated SATA and FW ports. Then late summer can bring the dual cores and hopefully a reduction in the lowend Powermac and Xserve lines. I think that would boost sales for Xmas 2005.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #282 of 282
I'm hoping dual-core by mid-2005.

9 months since the last announcement?

That puts the PowerMac revision at March or earlier?

PCI Express should be more established by then and we may seem the Fall or Spring graphic card refreshes by then.

If Apple has Antares samples now? IBM begin ramp in Jan/Feb?

Could we expect a March announcement?

I think the PowerMac's disappointing Rev B needs a thunderous Rev C announcement to get things back on track.

Dual Core.
3 Gig (as promised.)
PCI Express.

Price cut on the LCD Monitors. Particularly the 30 inch.

£2500 is alittle obscene. And I want one. But I'd rather pay £1995.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What will be the new specs for the next PM line?