or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Dole 1996-Let's attack a vet.

Dole 1996-Let's attack a vet. - Page 3

post #81 of 89
And now it turns out that "the guy that actually served on Kerry's boat", John Gardner, wasn't there either.

Quote:
Although he did not appear in the ad, Gardner, 56, of Clover, S.C., agreed with those statements while conceding he was not on the boat with Kerry during the incidents for which Kerry got his medals. Gardner criticized his leadership in battle, questioned his anti-war activities, and cited other instances in which he said Kerry falsified reports to make himself look good.

"We had that war won until John Kerry and Hanoi Jane Fonda stuck their nose in it," Gardner said. "Hes a traitor."

That last bit is the real story here. Vets who still believe that Vietnam was a winnable war if not for public opinion turning against it, and who hate John Kerry for playing a role in turning that opinion.

Hate him enough to lie now, and lie repeatedly, on the record.

If I were any of these guys I would think about getting a good attorney, because "freedom of speech" does not extend to knowingly promulgating lies designed to injure the reputation of another person.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
And now it turns out that "the guy that actually served on Kerry's boat", John Gardner, wasn't there either.

Quote:
Although he did not appear in the ad, Gardner, 56, of Clover, S.C., agreed with those statements while conceding he was not on the boat with Kerry during the incidents for which Kerry got his medals. Gardner criticized his leadership in battle, questioned his anti-war activities, and cited other instances in which he said Kerry falsified reports to make himself look good.

"We had that war won until John Kerry and Hanoi Jane Fonda stuck their nose in it," Gardner said. "Hes a traitor."

That last bit is the real story here. Vets who still believe that Vietnam was a winnable war if not for public opinion turning against it, and who hate John Kerry for playing a role in turning that opinion.

Hate him enough to lie now, and lie repeatedly, on the record.

If I were any of these guys I would think about getting a good attorney, because "freedom of speech" does not extend to knowingly promulgating lies designed to injure the reputation of another person.

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #83 of 89
oops, I posted that last in the wrong thread. It's the fog of war!
post #84 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
OK we lost the point again.

The premise of this thread was that people attacked Dole's record.

Nationally, in the mainstream, they didn't.

Nick you are full of shit. Unless you want to post say 100 or so mainstream article links to prove otherwise.

Next thread.

Oh and, what's Dole doing now? What's that? Attacking someone's record? I saw him on CNN as a commentator. He's a real dick. A limp one but still a dick.

He's like Rush or Buchanan. Just trying to get on TV to stay famous and rich. He just wants attention. So let's not give him or this thread any.

You seriously need to calm down. I posted the contention. The question was switched to "national" exposure because the first contention, that "no one" had questioned Dole's role in WWII had been disproven.

I don't have access to Lex-Nex. I'm not a full time researcher or a journalist. I'm limited by internet searches because many archives and mainstream search engines don't go that far back, or didn't even exist yet.

To give you an ideal of how long ago 1996 was in Internet time, Gil Ameilio was in charge of Apple and that nice G3 hadn't been introduced yet. Excuse me if I cannot search all mainstream publications with Google from 8 years ago.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #85 of 89
I think we are missing the point here.

The point is that it IS ok to question a Candidate's military service especially when they wrap themselves in it.

As far as if some should be allowed to question these matters is really not up to debate IMO. But it seems that the Kerry camp thinks that in this instance free speech should be cast aside, which should prompt any thinking person to ask why a potential leader of the free world would be willing to support suppressing said free speech.

I think it's because he knows that it can and will hurt him politically. But what do I know.

Not a good reason IMO.
post #86 of 89
Quote:
Originally posted by trumptman
Sure Kerry can attack Bush's record. However I believe both of us are smart enough to know that both candidates employ surrogates for their attacks. Dole attacked Kerry. Cleland attacked Bush.

Nick

So we're in support of attacks on military records. Good, because I for one think it's a fair game to play. Perhaps Bush should release all of his military records then?

Here.
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
"Hearing a corrupt CEO like Cheney denigrate Edwards for being a trial lawyer is like hearing a child molester complain how Larry Flint is a pervert." -johnq
post #87 of 89
No, YOU are missing the point. You say Kerry's record is "being questioned". The fact that upsets people so much (including some Republican veterans I know) is that Kerry's record is being lied about.

Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
I think we are missing the point here.

The point is that it IS ok to question a Candidate's military service especially when they wrap themselves in it.

As far as if some should be allowed to question these matters is really not up to debate IMO. But it seems that the Kerry camp thinks that in this instance free speech should be cast aside, which should prompt any thinking person to ask why a potential leader of the free world would be willing to support suppressing said free speech.

I think it's because he knows that it can and will hurt him politically. But what do I know.

Not a good reason IMO.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #88 of 89
To elaborate further....

this is "questioning".

This is "lying".

Any Questions?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #89 of 89
Quote:
You seriously need to calm down. I posted the contention. The question was switched to "national" exposure because the first contention, that "no one" had questioned Dole's role in WWII had been disproven.

I don't have access to Lex-Nex. I'm not a full time researcher or a journalist. I'm limited by internet searches because many archives and mainstream search engines don't go that far back, or didn't even exist yet.

To give you an ideal of how long ago 1996 was in Internet time, Gil Ameilio was in charge of Apple and that nice G3 hadn't been introduced yet. Excuse me if I cannot search all mainstream publications with Google from 8 years ago.

Nick

Where are the links?

Unless you can find extensive mainstream links...If you make baseless accusations without research in a debate format it is referred to as "you are full of crap." I hit up Google News and only found links to, well, Bush's campaign questioning Kerry's record. heh.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Dole 1996-Let's attack a vet.