or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Religion in Politics

Religion in Politics

post #1 of 10
What is it with religion in politics? Why do people put such an emphasis on a person's faith in God? I've always felt that it does not matter what a person believes in so long as they are qualified to do the job. Hell, as far as im concerned as long as u can do that job (ex. President) u can worship a door for all i care. Maybe thats just me though.
The Supreme Being
The Supreme Being
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Protostar
What is it with religion in politics? Why do people put such an emphasis on a person's faith in God? I've always felt that it does not matter what a person believes in so long as they are qualified to do the job. Hell, as far as im concerned as long as u can do that job (ex. President) u can worship a door for all i care. Maybe thats just me though.

Welcome to the most devoutly religious Western Nation. There is still a deep (false) belief that the laws of this country are somehow derived from the Bible and that this nation is "Christian". As such all of our leaders "need" to be good "Christians" to effectivly lead this country down the right and moral path. After all morality is only dictated in the Bible.
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
"[Saddam's] a bad guy. He's a terrible guy and he should go. But I don't think it's worth 800 troops dead, 4500 wounded -- some of them terribly -- $200 billion of our treasury and counting, and...
post #3 of 10
Quote:

I believe the answer is that it really is just you.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
u can worship a door for all i care..

I don't like your condescending tone towards my preferred object of worship.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #5 of 10

Open The Door!

. . . You are the Tiger!

Mulch and ants combine
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #6 of 10
I did not mean to offend anyone(apologize if i did) but what i am asking is why dont the American people choose their leaders based on merit(their qualifications and what they can do) instead of their religious beliefs?
The Supreme Being
The Supreme Being
post #7 of 10
Quote:
I did not mean to offend anyone(apologize if i did) but what i am asking is why dont the American people choose their leaders based on merit(their qualifications and what they can do) instead of their religious beliefs?

It's because we are social animals. The great majority of people cannot disassociate religious character from professional ability by nature, by habit. I'm sure it'll be the same everywhere else. If it isn't, it'll eventually be, unless of course, the people are indoctrinated to be fair.

On the other hand, it could just be a cheap, as in money, and easy political ploy to get favor among the populace. It's just too much work to demonstrate one's qualifications through the sound bites on the stump. That says something else about people, but I think everyone already knows, so no need to say it out loud.
post #8 of 10
Quote:

sorry, I was just messin with ya, I don't really worship a door

I'm more or less not religious at all.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #9 of 10
Quote:

.... the answer is .... because ppl are morons.
need for speed
need for speed
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by superstar
.... the answer is .... because ppl are morons.

my feelings exactly.
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
I think I think...therefore, I think I am.

We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Religion in Politics