or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Pre-Blackout Old-Timers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pre-Blackout Old-Timers - Page 4

post #121 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Well history is nothing but burned bridges over running water.

Even Leonis pets are all forgotten, living a life of pure neglect.

Yes, there was the dog, and sometimes after the cat. I still ignore who was really the real people behind these pets. Perhaps it was really the pet of Leonis

Who knows
post #122 of 168
On a additional note, we did not have more news of Eman's mom. I hope she is fine
post #123 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Yes, there was the dog, and sometimes after the cat. I still ignore who was really the real people behind these pets. Perhaps it was really the pet of Leonis

Who knows

I think we know who they were...

I think its a sign of the times that when Leonis cute hamster logged in a week ago noone noticed at all...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #124 of 168
Listen everybody, Tonight Auld Timers Reunion Party - the first croft up the hill behind the pier when ye get off the boat. Tea and scones and gramophone records till midnicht.
Heedrum Ho!
Reply
Heedrum Ho!
Reply
post #125 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
On a additional note, we did not have more news of Eman's mom. I hope she is fine

Her too
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #126 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
On a additional note, we did not have more news of Eman's mom. I hope she is fine

LOL Hahahahaha..

Jeeez, I had forgotten aboot that...

*sigh*

Hmm, reharding the photo album... thats a darn good question.

I guess Leonis buggered off with it when he went to dark side with the other pansies

Anyone feel like making a new one?
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Reply
post #127 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
On a additional note, we did not have more news of Eman's mom. I hope she is fine

I was waiting for that
post #128 of 168
hmmm.

i wonder.

nope. oh well, nevermind.
post #129 of 168
Good times. Good times. It's enjoyable just to read all of your posts, though I can't remember many of the shenanigans that you all do. I also wasn't really ever part of any "in" crowd, per se, but have always enjoyed being here -- or coming back after various hiatii.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #130 of 168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
originally posted by crazychester
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I did some research into theblackhat during this thread's first incarnation. I think he's always been the same person and probably someone from the AI Dreamtime. BillGates maybe? I don't know. You tell me, Oh Bearers of Ancient Wisdom.

The last thread he posted in is worth a read. Start at the beginning and read to the end of his post. If that's not somebody having a laugh then I guess he really is just some dumb Texan.

Good Lord - I'd almost forgotten!

(Sigh). I suppose I should find this all very amusing if it weren't for the fact that dumb Texans have a hard time in general suffering fools gladly. Well, well - you're partly correct, o' wise one. I am BillGates, but you are missing one very vital point. Although I am logged in as "theblackhat", to me, that is just an access port available for logging in at this location because the log-in info is available to me. I choose not to re-register just to say "hi" to all and noticed years ago (after I left this campus for parts unknown), I tried to continue my affiliation with these boards but for some inexplicable reason my password would not work and when I tried to re-register, my alias "BillGates" was already taken by someone else who - for lack of a better word - somehow "misappropriated" it. So I said "screw it" and promptly turned my attention to much headier matters that awaited me.

To be sure, I was one of a small clique of lab rats back in the late nineties who stayed up all night tending to our school business but needing to amuse ourselves in the interim in the wee hours. We had quite a time jousting on these boards between ourselves and - delightfully - sometimes others would join in the merry fray. It was interesting to see the meretricious minded "doping-out" some sinister alter-ego scenario wherein I - I believe - was made to be what some catchpenny termed a "sock-puppet" - (in seeming psycho command of some tawdry little psyche/band of alter-ego/"8 faces of eve" personalities that I emanated and coordinated behind the scenes). You want to talk about a laugh - my lab associates and I found that a real hoot. We could just see some erstwhile "net-sleuth" employing the latest in internet trumpery, tracing all of the "sock-puppet" manifestations back to a single web-server, thinking it was a single individual's address.

I had forgotten all of this until I had a little leisure time on my hands and I re-visited my old haunt this week. I am delighted to see that our little department has grown so big, but was also a little saddened to see that the legacy of that great time we all had on the AO boards was not being continued. Indeed, not to criticize anyone here, but when I asked if there had been any attempts to continue our tradition, I found that several tentative attempts had been made - but the backlash of suspicion and frippery (that is normally expected from the wake of the great unwashed at AI) was just too much for them and they gave up, feeling disenfranchised and unwelcome (besides, I'm sure they were being kept much busier these days than we were in the last decade). (BTW - same question back to you shills that you originally posed to my young replacement in this thread- why didn't you just ask if the Black Hat was BilllGates rather than validate by dispersive presupposition. Although she is not here this summer, reading her posts, I can see she was very much interested in being a member here. Good work, guys. I guess more than anything this tells me what I sense in viewing these boards today. You've wisely uncovered another sock-puppet of mine and have thereby foilded my dastardly attempts at "having a laugh." You've managed to drive all the "sock-puppets" away.

So now, while reading over these forums, it is somewhat heartening to see that those we used to keep down by dissing and dismissing, have by virtue of grim determination and longevity, survived the old crowd and have now become the "status quo" of thought and reasonability. Bravely stoking the fires of the pernicious, you are obviouslyf far too crafty to be taken in by a mere "sock-puppeteer." Sadly, though, you are apparently not too crafty to be taken in by those who, "although lesser credentialled, are nevertheless bouyed by the fact that their girlfriends are Rhodes Scholars. Et tu, Rattae? I plainly remeber when you were a newbie, newly arrived and jockeying for position. In the words of Rex Stout, through his Wolfian manifestation, "Pfui".

(Double-sigh) I can't wait. It shan't be long until another comes along to read between my lines - parsing my every word - and eventually exposing me by laying me threadbare to a knowing world of intero-savants.

BTW - humor me although I'm sure you feel I already know; where are all of the other "old-timers?" (I'm not sure I like that phrase). Not having copious time to spend on these boards researching this, I intuit that there are some who speak of a split and mass exodus. So - to where did they depart? I feel like touching base with myself.
post #131 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by theblackhat
Good Lord - I'd almost forgotten!

(Sigh). I suppose I should find this all very amusing if it weren't for the fact that dumb Texans have a hard time in general suffering fools gladly. Well, well - you're partly correct, o' wise one. I am BillGates

(there simply aren't enough laughing smilies for this)

I've only read that much so far and now have to go to work dammit. But I'm looking forward to it when I get home.

I've been waiting for this Mr X ever since you popped up in GD. Better be careful with the dumb Texan thing. Hey! Maybe you're me trying to fool grover. Actually, now I think you're alcimedes. This seems like his flavour of stunt.

Anyway, looking forward to the read. Nice to see you or see you again or whatever, whoever you are.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Reply
post #132 of 168
This thread has been quiet for almost a year, now.
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Reply
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Reply
post #133 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by JRC
This thread has been quiet for almost a year, now.

Yeah, well unfortunately after the great split a couple of years ago a lot of the old-timers and classic members bailed and went over to nova. I could never get used to it there.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #134 of 168
I like both places!
post #135 of 168
Wow. I just read this entire thread, including the cookie sheet thread that was interesting, and I am amazed at what this site used to be and what it has become. I have so many questions and a strong desire to become a larger part of this community. What was the split that happened a couple of years ago? That is what I would like to know first. Wow, I can't think of what else to say about this.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #136 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by maimezvous
Wow. I just read this entire thread, including the cookie sheet thread that was interesting, and I am amazed at what this site used to be and what it has become. I have so many questions and a strong desire to become a larger part of this community. What was the split that happened a couple of years ago? That is what I would like to know first. Wow, I can't think of what else to say about this.

It's a long story and I'm not sure whether or not the topic is still verboten here. I know for some time after 'the split' you couldn't mention AN here without risking punishment. I think things have calmed down a bit in that department.

You can check the Viva la Revolucian forum over at AN for some background. But, history as they say is written by the victors. This is not saying AN was the victor (as both sites are still alive and their respective communities are still going strong) but the information written at AN probably doesn't include too much info. on Dr. Ander's Tension Relief Clinic which I believe is what really started the whole thing.

The real unfortunate events are people were lost which don't post at either remaining site anymore (like Amorph). This was the real disaster IMO caused by the site split.
post #137 of 168
I can't speak for the Admins, but I feel the wounds have pretty much scabbed over by now. The history books have been written and published and now it is seen as just that; History. What happened may stir some personal experiences to some, but we are mature adults here. (Well, again anyways. )

The past is past. What happened, happened.
We learned, we grew, and we are thriving.

8)
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
post #138 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by PBG4 Dude
It's a long story and I'm not sure whether or not the topic is still verboten here. I know for some time after 'the split' you couldn't mention AN here without risking punishment. I think things have calmed down a bit in that department.

You can check the Viva la Revolucian forum over at AN for some background. But, history as they say is written by the victors. This is not saying AN was the victor (as both sites are still alive and their respective communities are still going strong) but the information written at AN probably doesn't include too much info. on Dr. Ander's Tension Relief Clinic which I believe is what really started the whole thing.

The real unfortunate events are people were lost which don't post at either remaining site anymore (like Amorph). This was the real disaster IMO caused by the site split.

Thank you. I think I will wander over there when I have actually have some time, reading this really cut into my sleep last night. Haha. What is "Dr. Ander's Tension Relief Clinic"? That was one of my other questions.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #139 of 168
Hmmm......

Well, let me just test the limits of tolerance by asking:

What do people who mostly post here think of our wayward family over at AN? (I know there are a lot of "dual-citizenship" folk, I'm thinking about people who have more or less made a choice to stick with AI).

I ask because it seems like one would be pretty much like the other (same DNA and all), and yet after a period of hanging out right over the "revolution" I never really felt hooked in.

My impression is that the circumstances of ANs birth fostered a sorta "clubbiness", or maybe the words "ownership", that doesn't feel very welcoming (like trying to butt into a high school clique), but for all I know that's how new folk experience AI and I'm just inured to it.

Any impressions?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #140 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by maimezvous
Thank you. I think I will wander over there when I have actually have some time, reading this really cut into my sleep last night. Haha. What is "Dr. Ander's Tension Relief Clinic"? That was one of my other questions.

The doctor is out.

It was a "secret" forum where the, dare I use this word, leet of the board would hang out. Things took a turn for the worst and the AI Gods were informed and nuked the forum to oblivion along with several Admin accounts that couldn't escape. (Or maybe it is framed in one of the Admin forums. Who knows?)

Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
What do people who mostly post here think of our wayward family over at AN? (I know there are a lot of "dual-citizenship" folk, I'm thinking about people who have more or less made a choice to stick with AI).

My impression is that the circumstances of ANs birth fostered a sorta "clubbiness", or maybe the words "ownership", that doesn't feel very welcoming (like trying to butt into a high school clique), but for all I know that's how new folk experience AI and I'm just inured to it.

It is really hard to compare the two. Both sites have the same interests and goals. There may be a little rivalry going on, but it has lost most of its bite.

As for your impressions, you are correct. <A very knowledgeable and helpful admin> left and lots of people followed. It was a great loss for AI and no honest admin or member here can deny that. There were people to fill his shoes and soon the new administration firmly took hold of the reigns. As tou guessed, AN is a tight knit bunch but they do appreciate new blood... I mean new intelligent, charismatic, members. (Especially women ) (Like all Apple forums I guess) I feel connected to both AI and AN. In a way it is no different than talking to two different people who share a common love for apple. Just remember, respect their individuality, the Admins are always right, and may God help you if you get the forums mixed up.

That's like throwing a plastic banana into a pen of starving monkeys. Digital feces and all.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
post #141 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Hmmm......

Well, let me just test the limits of tolerance by asking:

What do people who mostly post here think of our wayward family over at AN? (I know there are a lot of "dual-citizenship" folk, I'm thinking about people who have more or less made a choice to stick with AI).

I ask because it seems like one would be pretty much like the other (same DNA and all), and yet after a period of hanging out right over the "revolution" I never really felt hooked in.

My impression is that the circumstances of ANs birth fostered a sorta "clubbiness", or maybe the words "ownership", that doesn't feel very welcoming (like trying to butt into a high school clique), but for all I know that's how new folk experience AI and I'm just inured to it.

Any impressions?

I'm not sure if I can form an opinion on this yet. I haven't read enough on AN to know much about it, but it does seem to have a more tight nit crowd there. AI seems to have a general crowd with certain groups of people. I think I might consider having "dual-citizenship" so I can better understand all that has happened and have multiple sources for purchasing information and such. By the way, I answered my own question, I found the thread on the Tension Relief Clinic in La Revolucion. Now for another question, what has happend to theblackhat? I didn't notice until a few minutes ago that he hasn't posted for over a year. I was dumb and didn't look at the year, I thought he had posted just the other day until i realized it isn't quite the 26th of June yet. Well I'm off to read more about La Revolucion.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #142 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
What do people who mostly post here think of our wayward family over at AN?

I can't ever forget the circumstances that led to the split -- especially my part in the whole debacle. I had no huge part in causing the split, but I was definitely one of the straws that broke the camel's back. Each straw is equally responsible, not just the last one.

I was deeply engrained in AI before the split, was very active in the Tension Relief Clinic immediately prior to the split, and had a very tough time picking "sides" immediately following the split. In fact I felt so confused and ashamed about what had happened that I took a haitus from both forums to focus on other priorities and let things subside for a while. (A successful search at either site will uncover the identical threads I started announcing my departure.) When I returned, I chose AI because I felt a need to return to my "roots," of sorts.

I feel no resentment or angst for those over at AN. Now I see them as those not-so-distant relatives that you fall out of touch with and don't see or talk to but once every several years. Not too long ago AI was off-line for a couple of days so I ventured over there. Things seem to be going pretty well but I just couldn't stay. As members of the Mac community I wish them the best. If AN were to close its doors I would welcome them back with open arms. If AI were to close it's doors I hope they would invite me with open arms, because that's where I'd go.

So there's my version of it. Life goes on.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #143 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebby



..As for your impressions, you are correct. <A very knowledgeable and helpful admin> left and lots of people followed. It was a great loss for AI and no honest admin or member here can deny that. There were people to fill his shoes and soon the new administration firmly took hold of the reigns. As tou guessed, AN is a tight knit bunch but they do appreciate new blood... I mean new intelligent, charismatic, members. (Especially women ) (Like all Apple forums I guess) I feel connected to both AI and AN. In a way it is no different than talking to two different people who share a common love for apple. Just remember, respect their individuality, the Admins are always right, and may God help you if you get the forums mixed up.

That's like throwing a plastic banana into a pen of starving monkeys. Digital feces and all. [/B]

Yeah. The main difference to me is AI feels real egalitarian, with the mods doing their thing and Kaspar off in Kaspar land and a bunch of people wandering around and chewing the fat, whereas AN still has the feel of a forum started by a small group of people with very intense feelings about "their" forum.

Personally, I would like AI to get back some of that community feel (people who seem to know each other pretty well knocking it around and lots of running jokes and that sort of thing) and I wish AN was a little less inbred and conflict adverse.

You know, like things were before all the drama.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #144 of 168
And of course, AN has no ads. None. Especially no blinking or talking or generally obnoxious ads.

Ads and the overlords' view of them was a major factor in the split, as I recall. One site lives for the forum users, the other lives for the ads.

Plus, AN has no political subforum. We try to leave the flamewars to others. And our search works
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
post #145 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
And of course, AN has no ads. None. Especially no blinking or talking or generally obnoxious ads.

Ads and the overlords' view of them was a major factor in the split, as I recall. One site lives for the forum users, the other lives for the ads.

Plus, AN has no political subforum. We try to leave the flamewars to others. And our search works

Do you prefer AN over AI? I've seen a few of your posts over there and I was just wondering.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #146 of 168
Both communities have value, but I visit for member comments not the front page, and ads annoy me.

Each site includes interesting people and information at times, though I often find AN better to read.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
Reply
post #147 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
Both communities have value, but I visit for member comments not the front page, and ads annoy me.

Each site includes interesting people and information at times, though I often find AN better to read.

Thanks for your response. I've liked AN just as much as AI so far. I still have some questions though. Were some of the switchers coming here and trying to convince people to join and harrassing people? I was reading a thread about "who got left behind" in La Revolucion, and I got the feeling that some people were. I also don't understand something I've read there. The "Hay guys!", "RRY" and "Ya RLLY" joke. Hay Guys

The thread that I read is there. I wandered over there courtesy of the "Time to make things fun" thread in AppleOutsider.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #148 of 168
I was registered initially in February of 2000 (it may have been January, but I know it was weeks before Pismo arrived in February). From those days, I only recall a few names. Fran441, PowerMacG4, I think sammi jo was Samantha Joan Ollendale as I recall. Good times.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #149 of 168
While every once in a while I'll peruse AN I'd rather they all came back. I don't have enough time to waste keeping up with two boards, but I definitely miss some of the members over there.
post #150 of 168
I am still around, and still hoping eternally.... Remembering fondly Belle, Escher, and a host of other loonies


H.S.E.

Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Reply
Hope Springs Eternal,
Mandricard
AppleOutsider
Reply
post #151 of 168
I am terrible with names but now that you mention them, most are ringing bells.

I remember emAm because that capital letter always bugged me. Also for a while I read it as Eminem the music-guy.
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
horrid misuse of cool technology
SSBA.COM
Reply
post #152 of 168
Funny to see this thread pop back up after another year of being buried. Always good to see the oldschool AIers stand up and take notice.

The Blackout period, way long ago at this point, was traumatic! I didn't know where my beloved AI went or when it was going to return. Where else would I rumormonger and waste hours. Now I can spend time on digg of course.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #153 of 168
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
The Blackout period, way long ago at this point, was traumatic! I didn't know where my beloved AI went or when it was going to return. Where else would I rumormonger and waste hours. Now I can spend time on digg of course.

Ah, digg, my new obsession. Anyone else addicted to thumbs up and down? The POWER!
post #154 of 168
Anybody know what eventually happened to WorkerBee?
post #155 of 168
Ah, back here once again to check in.
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Reply
Nov 98 - Earliest Registered User on record
Jan 02 - Earliest iPad prediction
Reply
post #156 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post

I am terrible with names but now that you mention them, most are ringing bells.

I remember emAm because that capital letter always bugged me. Also for a while I read it as Eminem the music-guy.

I wasn't even 13 when I first started posting, so it was the obnoxious pre-teen, teen thing that was in at the time, alternating between capital and lower case letters
post #157 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Anybody know what eventually happened to WorkerBee?

Apple water-boarded him.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #158 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmAn View Post

I wasn't even 13 when I first started posting, so it was the obnoxious pre-teen, teen thing that was in at the time, alternating between capital and lower case letters

Kiddo's all grown up! We've missed you, buddy. What have you been up to?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #159 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmAn View Post

I wasn't even 13 when I first started posting, so it was the obnoxious pre-teen, teen thing that was in at the time, alternating between capital and lower case letters

What brings you to crappy Corrupticut? Especially around the capital area? I feel for you man.
post #160 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Kiddo's all grown up! We've missed you, buddy. What have you been up to?

Well, I've missed you guys too. Usually when I stop by AI I just browse, never really post anymore. I'm sorta out of the loop when it comes to the latest Apple news, I basically just stopped paying attention. Other than that, I haven't really been up to anything too exciting, just school and stuff. Perhaps I'll check in more often...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Pre-Blackout Old-Timers